Baseball 4/18-20 @ Wake Forest ( Thursday- Saturday)

16,638 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wilmwolf
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NC State will travel to Wake Forest for a three-game set Thursday through Saturday at the David F. Couch Ballpark in Winston-Salem, N.C. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. Thursday and Friday, and the series finale Saturday is slated for a 1 p.m. start. All three games will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra
Wolfer79

Opponent: Wake Forest
Dates: Thursday, April 18th Saturday, April 20th
Times: 6 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 4 p.m. Saturday
Site: David F. Couch Ballpark
TV: ACC Network Extra
Radio: WKNC 88.1 FM

STARTING PITCHERS
Thursday RHP Dalton Feeney (NCSU) vs. RHP Colin Peluse (WF)
Friday RHP Reid Johnston (NCSU) vs. RHP Morgan McSweeney (WF)
Saturday RHP Jason Parker (NCSU) vs. RHP Ryan Cusick (WF)

All three games will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra, and there will be a free audio stream on WKNC 88.1 FM.

The Rundown On Wake Forest
-Wake currently ranks fifth in the Atlantic Division and eighth overall in the conference standings.
-The Demon Deacons are on a three-game win streak after winning its most recent outing on Tuesday against Liberty at home, 6-2, and sweeping its Saturday doubleheader over Pittsburgh, 20-8 and 7-6, to clinch its fourth ACC series triumph of the year.
-Wake is batting .288 as a team and has three players carrying averages well above the .300 plateau.
-Patrick Frick leads the cause with a .384 clip, four long balls and 35 runs batted in, while Bobby Seymour paces the team in RBIs with 53 while carrying a strong overall line with a .379 average and six homers.
-Brendan Tinsman leads the team in homers with 10, while owning a .295 batting average and 35 RBIs.
-The Deacons have compiled a 5.75 earned-run average, as Antonio Menendez paces the bullpen with a 2.75 ERA, five wins and 51 strikeouts in 39.1 innings pitched.
wilmwolf
That rotation is interesting.
Pack31
wilmwolf80 said:

That rotation is interesting.

Thought so too. I get Feeney tom but you'd think they would leave Parker and Johnston, FrI and Sat respectively. Need a good series here badly!
wilmwolf
I guess Parker went over 100 pitches two outings in a row, and his last start was Saturday because of the rain, so he might need the extra rest. Though doing so technically puts Johnston on a day shorter rest. Really hoping for a good outing from Feeney.
EthanBarry
Staff
I'm terrified of the bullpen without Feeney, although if he's in the rotation, that gives State its highest ceiling. If last year's Klyman shows up... you've got something
wilmwolf
I keep coming back to the idea that a guy like Harrison is going to end up being very important in the pen. He goes through stretches where he is engaged and concentrating and looks untouchable. Klinney looked great the other night also. Klyman IMO looks like a guy searching for his release point that is trying too hard to guide the ball to the plate. If one of those lefties can finally grab control of the closer role, I'll feel a lot better about our post season chances.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
basementwolf
Anything on Wilson?
PackFansXL
basementwolf said:

Anything on Wilson?
He is unlikely to show his face. #ToolTimeLoller

I hope he is going to play, but I have no intel. I am amazed that we never got a clear insight on how he was injured in the first place. I hope he gets well soon!
EthanBarry
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

I keep coming back to the idea that a guy like Harrison is going to end up being very important in the pen. He goes through stretches where he is engaged and concentrating and looks untouchable. Klinney looked great the other night also. Klyman IMO looks like a guy searching for his release point that is trying too hard to guide the ball to the plate. If one of those lefties can finally grab control of the closer role, I'll feel a lot better about our post season chances.

No doubt. Klyman has been there and done that which is why I have the most belief he can do it.
EthanBarry
Staff
basementwolf said:

Anything on Wilson?

Pretty sure he's playing. Just something with his teeth, no leg injuries
wolfpack1437
EthanBarry said:

basementwolf said:

Anything on Wilson?

That's great news. I guess that means no concussion? I was nervous with how long he was down and with how he walked off the field.
wilmwolf
wolfpack1437 said:

EthanBarry said:

basementwolf said:

Anything on Wilson?

That's great news. I guess that means no concussion? I was nervous with how long he was down and with how he walked off the field.
Yeah, that's my concern. If you get hit in the mouth hard enough to lose/break/crack/whatever teeth, concussion would be almost a foregone conclusion to me.
EthanBarry
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

wolfpack1437 said:

EthanBarry said:

basementwolf said:

Anything on Wilson?

Yeah, that's my concern. If you get hit in the mouth hard enough to lose/break/crack/whatever teeth, concussion would be almost a foregone conclusion to me.

That was my concern as well but haven't heard anything about him having one. I imagine he got checked for one that day
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Pack31
So jealous!
Glasswolf
Will Wilson has been cleared and will bat 2nd
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

wilmwolf
Self inflicted wounds hurting is. One strike away from getting out of the inning and give up a homer, and then start kicking the ball around and give them two. 0-3 Wake after three.
Colonel Armstrong
Plenty of time left in this game.
Colonel Armstrong
Great double by Mensik and good job to play some fundamental baseball to get him in. Lids off now.
wilmwolf
1-6 after 6. I believe all of Wake's runs have come with two outs, and three with two outs and two strike counts. Our bats have to get going against their reliever.
wilmwolf
Heart of our order has let us down so far. Get to runners on with no outs and Butler, Wilson, Bailey can't get anything in. Hard to win that way.
wilmwolf
Pack falls 3-7. Need more from our big guns, not going to win there with only three runs. Walks killed us on the other side. Need to regroup tomorrow. I don't expect our bats to struggle two games in a row.
Struttingwolf96
I know baseball has its ups & downs, I've played it for a few years. This is not good to see State struggling once again at the end of the year. Can not afford to lose to WF again this weekend. Seen it before, the wheels are starting to get wobbly again.
EthanBarry
Staff
Not good baseball in any aspect
wolfpack1437
Bullpen has become a legitimate concern, especially with the bats slumping some
pack4life11
Avent gonna Avent...y'all will learn
LegacyPack4
We don't even look like the same team anymore. Can't hit, fielding poorly, and pitching no longer consistent. What has happened?!
DrummerboyWolf
LegacyPack4 said:

We don't even look like the same team anymore. Can't hit, fielding poorly, and pitching no longer consistent. What has happened?!
What has happened? It's called baseball. Sometimes you run into good pitching. Sometimes you can't hit mediocre pitching because of a slump. Sometimes the ball just bounces the wrong way and the other team doesn't hit them hard, but just in the right spot.

All teams go through this most of the time. Baseball is a team game, but it is mainly based on individual match ups. Sometimes you can do no wrong and other times you can't do anything right. It can turn on a dime. We can still win this series.
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
PackFansXL
I hope we can get our mojo back before the postseason. We can be the Cardiac Pack Baseball team of destiny.
Struttingwolf96
I honestly believe some of the position guys are tired & need some rest. Guys seemed to be playing better at the beginning of the year when they were platooning with other guys & had healthy competition & the coaches mixing up the lineups. Just believe our pitching staff isnt that good at all, finally come down to reality. This is where coaching comes in now & I for one am interested to see what Avent does. Will it be a different year or will it be the same old story with Avent & Wolfpack baseball?
wilmwolf
Can't you see guys, it's all Avent's fault. He told Bailey to go two for his last fifteen, and he told our pitchers to be sure and hang one every time they get a two strike count, and he definitely told the second best fielding team in the country to start making errors. All the good stuff we've done this season, he had nothing to do with, but when we've played bad, whoa boy, that's all part of his plan.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.