Baseball 4/18-20 @ Wake Forest ( Thursday- Saturday)

16,931 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wilmwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think I've complained yet this year about a team in NC having a turf field, so I should probably do that now. Wake's field is gross.
Struttingwolf96
Nice to see Jarrett get a little more playing time than what he was. Know he was struggling, but believe it was better for the TEAM when the staff had Jarrett, Vazquez, & Mensik rotating. Wish that would have continued. Just wonder what would have happened if Jarrett wasn't in the game today? Nice bounce back win, just like to see them finish off today with a sweep over the Deacs.
basementwolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

basementwolf said:

basementwolf said:

Dang, When swinney is on and throwing strikes he's almost unhittable.

But when he ain't throwing strikes......it's a struggle.
You can say that about any pitcher. Walks and errors always kill you and that goes for anybody who has played high level baseball.

No you can't. There are lots of pitchers that throw strikes and are very hittable. When swinney is getting ahead he is special.
wilmwolf
7-0 Pack after 2. Shout out to the fans out there, can hear y'all on the broadcast.
wilmwolf
Wake pitcher with the hard tag on Butler at the first base line. I've come to the conclusion that Wake is a team full of punks.
Glasswolf
Pakbackr said:

State has shown that it has offensive weapons and can score runs in bunches, but in baseball, you are going to have games when you are overpowered by a pitcher. Maybe the bats have cooled a bit, but the real issue in this slide has been our pitching, pure and simple. This staff is putting way too many guys on base over the last two weeks. They have already played themselves out of a national seed. Better turn it around quickly or they will be limping into post-season just hoping to get to go play in a regional somewhere!
What? so we are no longer top 8 nor are we top 16? (You do realize they seed top 16 now right?)
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

wilmwolf
I'll say it again, I can't believe the complaining that these umps are allowing from Wake.
wilmwolf
Three homers from wake over two innings, 7-6 Pack after 6.
Wolfer79
wilmwolf80 said:

I'll say it again, I can't believe the complaining that these umps are allowing from Wake.

I was at game #1 today. Home plate umpire was consistently inconsistent for both teams. Just got home and heard 5th inning on for game #2.
Pack31
Klyman has lost it. He can't get an out anymore. Damn
Pakbackr
Unbelievable!
PackFansXL
Pack is now down to Wake 9-8 after 7. We need to get our bats going!
Gost8
Something has happened to this team.
Lakepacker70
Where is Avent? Did he get tossed?
ciscopack
I love the raised plastic in the batter's box and around every base......that's bush league. How is that plastic with rubber fill to slide on?
wolfpack1437
Hard to believe this team went from being a joy to watch, to being hard to watch in just 2 weeks. Oh well
PackFansXL
Tough stretch for these guys. They need to get their heads right and keep working.
WFWolf
No sense adding stress to your sports life in the offseason.

Get ready for football!
ciscopack
Gost8 said:

Something has happened to this team.
It's baseball....this team had a long luck streak with good play and now it's coming back to where it should be. This team is good.....we have no Nolan Ryan or Greg Maddox....we're just fine overall...just fine.
Whitetailpack
Patent Avent mid season/late season slide.
DrummerboyWolf
basementwolf said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

basementwolf said:

basementwolf said:

You can say that about any pitcher. Walks and errors always kill you and that goes for anybody who has played high level baseball.

No you can't. There are lots of pitchers that throw strikes and are very hittable. When swinney is getting ahead he is special.
Way to turn around what I said to fit your narrative. When any pitcher is not throwing strikes it's a struggle. I never said that all guys who throw strikes never struggle. You do have to throw strikes no matter what kind of arm talent you have.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
pack4life11
Avent gonna Avent y'all...y'all will learn one day
metcalfmafia
Man the Braves pitching and Wolfpack pitching are both bumming me out.
packman34
This team has gone from being a really good ball club to a very very bad one. Barely squeaked out a one run win at WF this weekend. Enjoyed the early part of the season but we all knew this would happen with Avents teams. 23 years is enough to know you will never get an ACC championship or have a decent chance in NCAAt with him at the helm. Time to go in a different direction. Same collapses year after year after year. Avent always brings in good talent but he has no idea how to win with that talent when it counts. Seriously doubt we win another series this year. Why I get my hopes up with Pack9 baseball I will never know.
Struttingwolf96
Been a tough stretch for State teams for YEARS.
Struttingwolf96
Agree with everything you said. But it's no big deal to some, just say on to the next sport (football) coming up. Just leave things like they are. Same ole story for the Pack & Avent. He's got to mix things up, he's got to see what he's calling isn't working. Sure the first part of the season was special, but honestly does anybody remember how it felt now? This is where fans see how good of a coach you have when things start going against your team, what changes do you see.
basementwolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

basementwolf said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

basementwolf said:

basementwolf said:

Way to turn around what I said to fit your narrative. When any pitcher is not throwing strikes it's a struggle. I never said that all guys who throw strikes never struggle. You do have to throw strikes no matter what kind of arm talent you have.
I didn't turn anything around. You missed my point, forget about it.
Packsd14me
As with most of Avent's teams, when we hit they long ball, we win. We missed Wilson this weekend, our best hitter and leader. Even when he batted Thursday, he appeared to be having trouble seeing the ball. After effects of the concussion maybe. Bailey, catching lots of innings seems tired. Avent's batting order slows down the attack as his speed guys follow slower players so we put no pressure on the opponent with speed. We should bunch McDonald and a healthy Wilson together and allow the bigger guys to drive them in. Speed kills. We need to use it. The bullpen seems tired too. Johnny Allstaff on Thursday was an odd strategy. An already tired pen was used heavily during the week, then again against Louisville then used many guys Thursday. The rain probably helped us a little. Good efforts from Johnston and Parker helped but we just didn't have enough left to win game two Saturday. Sad. The guys deserve better. Avent seems at a loss for what to do. No fire in him. We were a little lucky early this season but they have lost their confidence now. It's time to coach a little bit to get it back. Save an arm or two in each game, jumble the batting order, infuse some fun and get them to relax and play. This team is way too talented to quit on.
Struttingwolf96
Might be first on Boo's agenda to take care of?
wilmwolf
Can we start a separate thread for people to ***** and moan about Avent and leave the game threads for discussing the games?
metcalfmafia
wilmwolf80 said:

Can we start a separate thread for people to ***** and moan about Avent and leave the game threads for discussing the games?
Thank you.
ncsualum05
Holy cow man! Wake owns us in every sport this year getting the baseball series to go with the upset win to split in basketball and the football win. They truly are our house of horrors.
JCooke93
?
Wolfer79
Struttingwolf96 said:

Might be first on Boo's agenda to take care of?

Head Coach of the Year
Awarded to a men's and women's head coach who led their team to success during the season.
Wes Moore, Women's Basketball
Moore led the Wolfpack to a second consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16, a third-place finish in the ACC, and the longest winning streak in program history of 21 games. The team finished the year 28-6 despite missing an astounding 83.5 combined games from injuries to impact players. After the season, Moore was named a finalist for both the Naismith National Coach of the Year and WBCA National Coach of the Year.

Elliott Avent, Baseball
The Pack won eight of 10 conference series, including three road series wins against top-25 opponents. The team also set a program record with 19 ACC wins. Under Avent's leadership, the program was awarded ACC Pitcher of the Year, ACC Freshman of the Year and seven other All-ACC honors. The team was selected as an NCAA Regional host for the second time in three years
Packsd14me
wilmwolf80 said:

I actually thought I was discussing the games...I saw them in person....and I am making my observations from a position of one that has both played and coached a lot of baseball. Where did I say "Fire Avent"? I said he had no fire in him this weekend. The team played as the coach acted. I sat near an older gentlemen that had played at Ap State long ago. He was rooting for us to beat Wake. He had all kinds of questions regarding our pitching for the games and Avent's philosophy for pitching and the batting order.I told him I didn't know his strategy either and we thought we were old and laughed about it. All I am saying I am not the only baseball person that wondered what we were trying to do. It doesn't mean I am right but...

My philosophy-players win games, coaches lose them. Avent has to take all the blame for this stretch with the team to rebuild their psyche.I don't expect Wilson to play tonight and Bailey may sit or DH. They both need time off. The reason you make a change in the lineup and/or the batting order is to refresh things, get their minds back to playing correctly. McDonald has been hot, get him to the top of the lineup. An no, 4th is not the top in my mind. He, Butler and Menshik swung the bats the best this weekend....but we didn't bunch much together so change the order to use speed and attack with the hot batters. The Edwards, Debos, Treshes bat with fast guys on and when they hit individually, we score. Those were my solutions to get us back on track, not complaining about Avent. He does play an American League style of baseball. Plays for the home run and if we don't hit them because we are facing a tough pitcher, we often lose. If we change to make something happen without home runs..pitching, speed and defense like many National League teams do, then maybe we can shake things up and start winning again so we can still host a Regional AND Super Regional. That is my goal for this Pack team, Omaha and the easiest path to get there. But you can read that as Avent bashing if you want. I bet most coaches know leaving well enough alone in a losing streak is a bad philosophy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.