Baseball 4/18-20 @ Wake Forest ( Thursday- Saturday)

16,927 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wilmwolf
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Colonel Armstrong
Wayyyyy too many walks. Quick turnaround today, we desperately need a win.
packman34
Struttingwolf96 said:

I honestly believe some of the position guys are tired & need some rest. Guys seemed to be playing better at the beginning of the year when they were platooning with other guys & had healthy competition & the coaches mixing up the lineups. Just believe our pitching staff isnt that good at all, finally come down to reality. This is where coaching comes in now & I for one am interested to see what Avent does. Will it be a different year or will it be the same old story with Avent & Wolfpack baseball?

We have seen this movie one too many times. Of course we know what will happen. Its the same ol story..we will have our normal 2nd half collapse, lose to below average teams, get swept by UNC again and won't win anything meaningful. No ACC title and doubt will make it out of the 2nd round. Can't believe any one would actually expect anything different happening. Typical Avent team.
Colonel Armstrong
I'm not writing us off yet. We just need to get hot again. Regression was bound to happen. We couldn't keep winning 100% of our close games.
Pack31
Double header tomorrow??
Wolfer79
Pack31 said:

Double header tomorrow??

Pakbackr
State has shown that it has offensive weapons and can score runs in bunches, but in baseball, you are going to have games when you are overpowered by a pitcher. Maybe the bats have cooled a bit, but the real issue in this slide has been our pitching, pure and simple. This staff is putting way too many guys on base over the last two weeks. They have already played themselves out of a national seed. Better turn it around quickly or they will be limping into post-season just hoping to get to go play in a regional somewhere!
Wolfer79
Pack31
We really could use a sweep today. Go pack!!
wilmwolf
Wilson not in lineup.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

Wilson not in lineup.
This team just can't catch a break right now. Going to have to get back to creating their own, it's what made them successful to begin with
wilmwolf
I feel like Wake always has a bunch of twitchy pitchers. They always look so high strung.
wilmwolf
Can't believe the ump is going to let the Wake bench ***** at him like that and then the pitcher stare him down on the way to the dugout. Unbelievable.

1-0 Pack hallway through first.
Pack31
That pitch wasnt even close either
wilmwolf
Man this pitcher is fidgety. Couple more innings he might be foaming at the mouth.
wilmwolf
Johnston just threw five pitches that all looked like strikes to me, only one called.
southwolf
I'm at the game right now. Any idea of why WF was so upset about that call? Interference by the runner? They didn't explain here

And WF dugout is beyond obnoxious, they chirp every pitch
wilmwolf
I have a hard time describing what happened in that half inning, because it was a bizarre sequence. We ended up scoring twice.

3-0 pack middle of 3.
wilmwolf
Wake coach is as whiny as I've ever seen. He thought Bailey ran out of the base path, which he didn't. He ran straight from first to second, and was out. The ump came out after the review and confirmed the out, but for some reason Wake thought he was giving them the double play, which he was not. They ran off the field celebrating and the ump told them to get back on the field.
LegacyPack4
Any news on Wilson being out?
wilmwolf
No. He was wearing a mouth guard in the first game Thursday and did not look comfortable.
KKandDD
What happened during that sequence in ^3? I was halfway watching while driving and it was on mute and it was very confusing. At one point Avent looked mad, then it looked like WF dugout freaked out when the field umpire came out and signaled the guy was out (which, he was called out on the play anyway?). Just very odd sequence and poorly handled but umps from the way it looked on the stream.
KKandDD
Ah just saw Wilm's post. Thanks
wilmwolf
Don't mind Bailey getting thrown out at second there. With two outs and two strikes, take a chance on the ball getting past or the catcher making a bad throw. Put the pressure on their defense and if you get thrown out, you've got McDonough leading off the next inning.
basementwolf
Tied at 3.
Was obvious Reid was done after the second hit. No one even got up until two runs in.

Course we should have had a 7-8 run lead at this point.
wilmwolf
Deacs score three on a bunch of singles. Tied after six.
wilmwolf
OMG, JT Jarrett hits a homer! Holy crap!
basementwolf
Dang, When swinney is on and throwing strikes he's almost unhittable.
basementwolf
basementwolf said:

But when he ain't throwing strikes......it's a struggle.
DrummerboyWolf
Great relief job by Nick Swiney. Excellent pitching for more than 3 innings.

We got off the ACC schneid and got won back in the win column. Let's string two together and win the series.

GO PACK!!!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
wolfpack1437
Phew
wilmwolf
Jarrett and Swiney get player of the game. Great job at the plate today by JT. I said earlier in the week that we need one of the lefties in the pen to really turn it on, and I thought Swiney could be that guy. He looked great and saved the pen. We should have a ton of guys available if necessary. Let's get the bats going and blow them out!
DrummerboyWolf
basementwolf said:

basementwolf said:

But when he ain't throwing strikes......it's a struggle.
You can say that about any pitcher. Walks and errors always kill you and that goes for anybody who has played high level baseball.
DrummerboyWolf
Pakbackr said:

State has shown that it has offensive weapons and can score runs in bunches, but in baseball, you are going to have games when you are overpowered by a pitcher. Maybe the bats have cooled a bit, but the real issue in this slide has been our pitching, pure and simple. This staff is putting way too many guys on base over the last two weeks. They have already played themselves out of a national seed. Better turn it around quickly or they will be limping into post-season just hoping to get to go play in a regional somewhere!
How have they played themselves out of a national seed, when there is still 4 weeks to go in the season? Still a lot of baseball to be played to be complaining that we won't achieve something that is still definitely achievable.
wolfpack1437
Next game at 4:35

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.