Pack 9 Recruiting

171,508 Views | 729 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by JCooke93
James Henderson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
CLTWolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, the folks from New Hanover I talked with this past weekend at the state championship games all say that Walston is going to be a TOUGH sign for a pro team because he really wants to go to State.

Now, I love State and all, but if I'm getting top 50 draft money, all you suckers can kiss my ass. LOL

Yeah. If my kid is a pitcher and is looking at a 7 figure bonus...he gone.
I do think with this kid he has the upside to come in, dominate, and improve.

But hell, I guess all those "prospects" do.
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

CLTWolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, the folks from New Hanover I talked with this past weekend at the state championship games all say that Walston is going to be a TOUGH sign for a pro team because he really wants to go to State.

Now, I love State and all, but if I'm getting top 50 draft money, all you suckers can kiss my ass. LOL

He needs to put on weight and get stronger for sure. Not sure he does that in the best way possible playing for the Conetoe Cedar Slugs rookie ball team. He needs a legit weight program.
BigLefty24
CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

CLTWolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

He needs to put on weight and get stronger for sure. Not sure he does that in the best way possible playing for the Conetoe Cedar Slugs rookie ball team. He needs a legit weight program.
He's definitely thin. We had the "pleasure" of facing MacKenzie Gore in two separate Eastern Finals. Lot of similarities between Gore and Walston. Walston goes about 6'4"-6'5", and has about 2" on Gore. They both probably tip the scales at around 175. I don't think Walston is as dominating as Gore was, but I guess that's why Gore was drafted 3rd overall.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

EthanBarry
Staff
Prep Baseball Report has four of the top five kids in NC as State commits:

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/NC/North-Carolina-Final-Class-of-2019-Rankings-1832670954

I think all three of those guys need to be watched the next two days
3rdGenPacker
I've heard Willadsen will come to school pretty much no matter what at this point. Villaman may have dropped enough that he'll come to school (don't think that was his plan originally) and I've been told if Pace gets drafted at all he probably won't come to school.

If Walston passes on the $2.65 million allotted for his slot, that would be quite a story. It's a lot of money, but it takes a certain kind of kid to handle the grind of the minor leagues at 18 years old.

If the family is OK financially and can afford the risk of trying to get more in 3 years, you never know....
EthanBarry
Staff
3rdGenPacker said:

I've heard Willadsen will come to school pretty much no matter what at this point. Villaman may have dropped enough that he'll come to school (don't think that was his plan originally) and I've been told if Pace gets drafted at all he probably won't come to school.

If Walston passes on the $2.65 million allotted for his slot, that would be quite a story. It's a lot of money, but it takes a certain kind of kid to handle the grind of the minor leagues at 18 years old.

If the family is OK financially and can afford the risk of trying to get more in 3 years, you never know....

Walston is going to be offered more than what his slot is worth. I'm not going to sit here and tell anybody to hold their breath on him coming but I will just say that 9 of the last 11 drafts at least one first rounder hasn't signed and the other two years somebody in the supplemental first round hasn't signed. That's 11 years in a row a kid in the top 40 hasn't signed. Last year there were three who didn't sign
rwwalsh
EthanBarry said:

3rdGenPacker said:

Walston is going to be offered more than what his slot is worth. I'm not going to sit here and tell anybody to hold their breath on him coming but I will just say that 9 of the last 11 drafts at least one first rounder hasn't signed and the other two years somebody in the supplemental first round hasn't signed. That's 11 years in a row a kid in the top 40 hasn't signed. Last year there were three who didn't sign
You'd think, but ARI people seem to be implying they'll need him to sign underslot since they drafted him higher than he was projected(and since their other 3 top picks all have leverage as well someone is going to get a lower offer).
EthanBarry
Staff
I would be really, really surprised if he signed for anything lower than slot but I suppose it's possible
3rdGenPacker
Yeah, strange decision to draft multiple guys that have potential issues with signability. AZ had like 7 picks on the first night and it was almost as if they're counting on 1 not signing so they can spend that money on the others.
rwwalsh
3rdGenPacker said:

Yeah, strange decision to draft multiple guys that have potential issues with signability. AZ had like 7 picks on the first night and it was almost as if they're counting on 1 not signing so they can spend that money on the others.
If one of them doesn't sign, they lose that slot money. They do however get a pick next year.
Wolfer79
CLTWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Any instant impact position players? Seems that we always have at least one freshman in the lineup.

I wonder if Noah Soles (OF Ledford HS) could play CF to allow Tyler McDonough to move to 2B.

Soles is a kid that could apparently get drafted late. I'm seeing him on lots of potential draft picks out of NC lists lately.

chippertorry
Was told Soles hoping to sign. Was also told he and Arizona originally didn't agree on $ but since he ended up being drafted by them he must be ready to sign.
Ripper
So, we probably/may/will lose the following: Walston, Samuelson, Soles, Torres, and Koon (Campbell).

Remaining undrafted: Murr, Willadsen, Villaman, Cao, Giles, Highfill, Pace, Neese, and Butcher.

Hopefully one or two of the 4 from the top list forego MLB.
CLTWolf

Gone.
CLTWolf
Jason Parker's Twitter bio has "Pitcher in the Cincinnati Reds Organization" listed. Gone.

Daniel Wilson, IPS provider of content says....

Gone.

I like it when it's this easy to figure out. Ha
statefan91
I've never followed the baseball draft very closely. Are guys drafted in the 500-600s likely to ever make a team or just be mired in A/AA ball?
JCooke93
M.bienlien33 is Probably Gone
BigLefty24
statefan91 said:

I've never followed the baseball draft very closely. Are guys drafted in the 500-600s likely to ever make a team or just be mired in A/AA ball?

They'll ride busses from town to town for about 4-5 years, and then they'll get a job.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

statefan91
BigLefty24 said:

statefan91 said:

They'll ride busses from town to town for about 4-5 years, and then they'll get a job.
Got it - in that case I'm surprised so many of the later picks would opt for minor league vs. college. Especially if the team drafting you isn't going to cover future college expenses (I assume that's just for high draft picks to draw them away from college in addition to the money).
CLTWolf
statefan91 said:

BigLefty24 said:

statefan91 said:

Got it - in that case I'm surprised so many of the later picks would opt for minor league vs. college. Especially if the team drafting you isn't going to cover future college expenses (I assume that's just for high draft picks to draw them away from college in addition to the money).

Nah, they cover college for everyone that wants it.
wilmwolf
I found this while looking. I actually was surprised at how high the percentages were for the top round picks, but when the club has that much money invested, I would guess they do everything they can to make you a big leaguer. For the guys at the bottom, the odds get pretty low, and I've read a few articles about how tough it is at those lower levels if you don't have family that can support you. SI or someone had a great article a few years ago about how tough it was. Guys sharing rooms, eating gas station hot dogs, that kind of stuff. But, if your dream is to get paid to play baseball, and someone gives you that opportunity, I guess I can understand taking it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1219356-examining-the-percentage-of-mlb-draft-picks-that-reach-the-major-leagues#slide5
statefan91
wilmwolf80 said:

I found this while looking. I actually was surprised at how high the percentages were for the top round picks, but when the club has that much money invested, I would guess they do everything they can to make you a big leaguer. For the guys at the bottom, the odds get pretty low, and I've read a few articles about how tough it is at those lower levels if you don't have family that can support you. SI or someone had a great article a few years ago about how tough it was. Guys sharing rooms, eating gas station hot dogs, that kind of stuff. But, if your dream is to get paid to play baseball, and someone gives you that opportunity, I guess I can understand taking it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1219356-examining-the-percentage-of-mlb-draft-picks-that-reach-the-major-leagues#slide5

Thanks! This is something I heard a little bit about with the Kyler Murray decision. Sure guaranteed money in baseball is legit (Bobby Bonilla says hi) but what if you're languishing in the minors for multiple years before you make the big leagues? Not a very fun life compared to being the NFL #1 pick.
JCooke93
N.soles is on Campus
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

N.soles is on Campus

What's that mean? You saying he's coming to school or he's just spending a Saturday night hanging with some fellas?
JCooke93
CLTWolf said:

JCooke93 said:

N.soles is on Campus

What's that mean? You saying he's coming to school or he's just spending a Saturday night hanging with some fellas?
Could Be Summer School
pack2010
https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/PlayerProfile.aspx?ID=597999

This kid commits for 2021 class, per Twitter. Top 350 player overall.

WolfQuacker
pack2010 said:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/PlayerProfile.aspx?ID=597999

This kid commits for 2021 class, per Twitter. Top 350 player overall.

So another draft guy... yay
CLTWolf
Perfect Game just opened up their rankings for the 2019 class from behind their paywall....
Blake Walston- 33rd
Chris Villaman- 107th
Jose Torres- 152nd
Austin Pace- 173rd
CJ Neese- 183rd
Noah Soles- 419th
Will Butcher- 500 range
Tim Cao- 500 range
Deangelo Giles- 500 range
Sam Highfill- 500 range
Matt Willadsen- 500 range (extremely underrated by PG)

Logan Bender- first team all American (JUCO D2)
Austin Murr- third team all American (JUCO D2)

Not bad.
rwwalsh
For comparison's sake we only had 2 in the top 500 last year, and that included Whitaker just sneaking in at 491. Real solid core of guys we got coming in this year.
JCooke93
CLTWolf said:

Perfect Game just opened up their rankings for the 2019 class from behind their paywall....
Blake Walston- 33rd
Chris Villaman- 107th
Jose Torres- 152nd
Austin Pace- 173rd
CJ Neese- 183rd
Noah Soles- 419th
Will Butcher- 500 range
Tim Cao- 500 range
Deangelo Giles- 500 range
Sam Highfill- 500 range
Matt Willadsen- 500 range (extremely underrated by PG)

Logan Bender- first team all American (JUCO D2)
Austin Murr- third team all American (JUCO D2)

Not bad.
Most of them will probably get a lot of playing time
braz213
Dang, Austin Pace is 6'11. He's projected to pitch right? Saw him listed as RHP and 1B
JCooke93
braz213 said:

Dang, Austin Pace is 6'11. He's projected to pitch right? Saw him listed as RHP and 1B
by the way he is 7ft And yes he is
CLTWolf
braz213 said:

Not sure if you saw the 6'11 P from Kentucky a couple years ago, Sean Hjelle. Pace is much like him in that he's extremely long and doesn't throw as hard as it looks but he's finishing up so much closer it just seems harder than it is. I actually think Pace has more velocity at this age than Hjelle did.
wilmwolf
Played against a dude that was 6'10" that had long arms and a long motion. By the time he was done with his delivery, it felt like you could shake his hand from the batter's box. I was always really intimidated by him.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Played against a dude that was 6'10" that had long arms and a long motion. By the time he was done with his delivery, it felt like you could shake his hand from the batter's box. I was always really intimidated by him.

No doubt. I played against a dude in HS (played with him at Louisburg) that was 6'7/6'8 and he did throw hard as hell. Straight as an arrow but hard. Was drafted by the A's out of HS. Dude was all arms and legs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.