Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,224,314 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
TriangleDreamer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
duran_duran said:

Packfan8 said:

Just read where there are already 90+ kids enter the draft early and there's still 20 days to enter. Not to mention 15-20 seniors/international players are projected to be drafted in the mock drafts. To me I don't see a way Josh hall can impress scouts enough to be a draft pick without working out in front of them
I tend to agree with that, but remember that Lecque went undrafted and still made a good amount of money on his first contract.

I don't think there is much chance Josh Hall gets drafted, I'm more concerned that an NBA guy gets in his ear and convinces him it's worth it to go pro regardless.

Agreed. Which would really suck for Josh if he's led to believe he'll be an UDFA but the deal doesn't happen. That's a big risk if you're relying on just one team saying that, less so if multiple teams are indicating their interest but still a risk.
"High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation." ~ Charles Kettering
1985 NCSU Grad
WolfpackSI said:

duran_duran said:

Packfan8 said:

Just read where there are already 90+ kids enter the draft early and there's still 20 days to enter. Not to mention 15-20 seniors/international players are projected to be drafted in the mock drafts. To me I don't see a way Josh hall can impress scouts enough to be a draft pick without working out in front of them
I tend to agree with that, but remember that Lecque went undrafted and still made a good amount of money on his first contract.

I don't think there is much chance Josh Hall gets drafted, I'm more concerned that an NBA guy gets in his ear and convinces him it's worth it to go pro regardless.

Why wouldn't they say that? What happened with Lecque shows that nba people dont even have to promise they will be drafted anymore. All they have to say is that they will give you some guarantee money to get you into their gleague team and then drop you if/when you aren't up to snuff and the new crop of players are available.

Its up to Josh and his family to figure out whats best for him. Hopefully, what James mentioned in IPS Live is true that Q maybe just trying to get his kids name out there so that they will pay attention when he plays his 1 year of college ball.
True to an extent. Problem is that if you go to college (do like Josh - get a good evaluation), do well and improve certain aspects of your game then go pro after year 1 (or even 2)......then make big bucks. Take Jalen for example. The kid is at a point he may never make it to the NBA. The year in college is all about maturity and would have done wonders for him an dhis game..... The one year makes a difference. Jalen is guaranteed $2,416,291 for his 3 years now....well..... This year he finished #111 in scoring, #92 in assists, shot 21.7% from 3 pt land (thi sis not even in the top 150) while shooting 59.7% FT%....and #219 in FG% at 41.1% while finishing #92 in assists... terrible stats. IF he had come to NC State. Played well. Showed he could shoot the long range jumper, handle the ball while cutting down on t/o - he was looking at first round due to athletic ability...He would have made more in his first year if he was drafted in top 15 but in lower 15 - he would have made more in his first two years than all three now...
pack1502
1985 NCSU Grad said:

IF he had come to NC State. Played well. Showed he could shoot the long range jumper, handle the ball while cutting down on t/o - he was looking at first round due to athletic ability...He would have made more in his first year if he was drafted in top 15 but in lower 15 - he would have made more in his first two years than all three now...

If he had come to NC State, his stats probably would have been similar.... and then maybe he doesn't even get a contract. On the off chance he miraculously developed a jump shot in one year of college ball, then sure he might have gotten drafted, sure. But he's playing basketball with grown men now, working on his game, and hopefully improving, AND getting guaranteed money. If he was in college he would be playing against worse competition, hopefully improving, and NOT getting paid. College isn't the only place you can work on your game and improve your future outlook....but it is the only place you can work on your game and not get paid for it.
65Pack
College is a place you can prepare yourself for a future after BB. How few of you forget the $$ value
of a college education and the doors it can open up for you in the real world. Bouncing around in the G-league
for a few years is a lot less of a value than going to college and getting a degree.......especially for someone who doesn't get drafted.
pack1502
65Pack said:

College is a place you can prepare yourself for a future after BB. How few of you forget the $$ value
of a college education and the doors it can open up for you in the real world. Bouncing around in the G-league
for a few years is a lot less of a value than going to college and getting a degree.......especially for someone who doesn't get drafted.
Well obviously college has other advantages but the decision isn't a college degree or the g league it's developing your game in college for a year then dropping out vs getting paid to develop your game. Also, if you play professional basketball for a few years, make plenty of money, you'll be in a perfect place to pay for college then, if you are interested.
65Pack
The decision should always be go to college to improve your BB skills and continue your education especially
for kids who are boarder line G-league players. You are fooling yourself if you believe these kids go back to school when that little bit of money runs out. What small percentage of kids actually start in the G-league and have much of a future in the NBA? So to say "not get paid" does a disservice to these young people.
pack1502
65Pack said:

The decision should always be go to college to improve your BB skills and continue your education especially
for kids who are boarder line G-league players. You are fooling yourself if you believe these kids go back to school when that little bit of money runs out. What small percentage of kids actually start in the G-league and have much of a future in the NBA? So to say "not get paid" does a disservice to these young people.

If they aren't going to come back to college after playing basketball anyway, then are they more likely to come back to college after one year in college and then professionally?
Acb0110
65Pack said:

College education is worthless unless it's in a specific field like engineering, medical, etc.... a degree in communication is getting you know where but in debt. Does josh want to be an engineer? If not, then go if they pay you. If they aren't guaranteeing you a good sum of money, then play a year at state and earn it. Very simple. Gonna depend on how NBA teams see him.
CLTWolf
Acb0110 said:

65Pack said:

College education is worthless unless it's in a specific field like engineering, medical, etc.... a degree in communication is getting you know where but in debt. Does josh want to be an engineer? If not, then go if they pay you. If they aren't guaranteeing you a good sum of money, then play a year at state and earn it. Very simple. Gonna depend on how NBA teams see him.
"Know where"?
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
jbwbubba
Syracuse is the latest offer for 7'0" Unsigned Senior Quincy Ballard of Quality Education (NC) https://t.co/f22BoBe8vl
TopsailWolf
I laughed out loud. He ain't lying about the degree though. Outside of a couple specific majors, no way I'd encourage any kid to go any route other than community college, trade, or construction/real estate at the moment. Lots of kids wasting money and have been for 15+ years.
Acb0110
LOL, didn't think anyone would catch that!!!
Engineer97
Making a couple hundred grand and living in Europe at 21 isn't a bad deal folks. You can always come back to school and finish up.
IseWolf22
If Lecque put a decent percentage of his guaranteed contract money in long term investments, he'd be better off than 99% of us even if he was a bust and never went back to college. These undrafted contracts are now large enough that it's can be a great financial move (assuming you don't blow the money irresponsibly).
nryanh94

Damn I wish we could find a way to land this kid
metcalfmafia
nryanh94 said:

Dang he's put on some muscle since the last videos I've watched. Perfect for that 5 spot in 2021. Not sure where we stand.
WolfpackSI
Depending on what happens we might not have a lot of room left for another big. Bates, Farrar, Ebenezer are already gonna be fighting for minutes at the 5 in 21-22
nryanh94
WolfpackSI said:

Depending on what happens we might not have a lot of room left for another big. Bates, Farrar, Ebenezer are already gonna be fighting for minutes at the 5 in 21-22

Don't see anyway Farrar is a 5. Doesn't have the height, isn't a great rebounder and doesn't offer rim protection. He also has a good enough shot and ball handling to play that stretch 4. Also view Ebe as a project, Wheeler could come right in and produce in my opinion
Engineer97
nryanh94 said:

Now ya talking. Me likie. Me wantie.
WolfpackSI
nryanh94 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Don't see anyway Farrar is a 5. Doesn't have the height, isn't a great rebounder and doesn't offer rim protection. He also has a good enough shot and ball handling to play that stretch 4. Also view Ebe as a project, Wheeler could come right in and produce in my opinion

Ok I see, I thought Farrar projected to play the 5 based on his size. Sort of like a Richard Howell-type if he improves his rebounding. If Farrar plays majority of his minutes at the 4 then I could see minutes for another big at the 5.
Packfan8
metcalfmafia
Packfan8 said:

Can't believe Chris Mack took a chance on a guy with pro options.
TheStorm
metcalfmafia said:

Can't believe Chris Mack took a chance on a guy with pro options.
Nicely done.
Dunlow66
Scrubb going pro hopefully pushes Hall down another peg in the NBA SG/SF draft pool.

Scrubb is projected as a late first rounder.
CLTWolf

Interesting. Former teammate of CJ Bryce going to UK it looks like.
Packfan8
Thunderhill
Packfan8 said:

Great photo-but should she be in a basketball thread? Not complaining mind you....
Oh, never mind, now I see there is a basketball player in the pic too-sorry.
WolfpackSI
Packfan8 said:

soooo all the schools that offered him in the last week lol
Packfan8
WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

I still don't understand how a player can go from no offers at all and then gets all of these offers in the last half month without playing a single game in that span
Dennis Smith III
I've heard that he just became academically eligible or something
NatePait94
Dennis Smith III said:

I've heard that he just became academically eligible or something

He hasn't played in a month so he gets offers.

He hasn't been to school in a month so now he is academically eligible.

It's all starting to make sense!!!
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
WolfpackSI
WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

Ya very strange. No profile on 24/7. No offers from lower level schools. He seemingly just came out of no where and got P5 offers.
CLTWolf
WolfpackSI said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

Ya very strange. No profile on 24/7. No offers from lower level schools. He seemingly just came out of no where and got P5 offers.
He had offers first from Missouri State, UNCA, UNCW and I feel like I'm missing one more but all of those came in early to mid march (to your point).

Seems like he's also grown about 4 inches in the last couple years as well.

He's been getting hype from the lower level local types like Jamie Shaw, Phenom Hoops (Rick Lewis), etc for a while now.
nryanh94
CLTWolf said:

WolfpackSI said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

He had offers first from Missouri State, UNCA, UNCW and I feel like I'm missing one more but all of those came in early to mid march (to your point).

Seems like he's also grown about 4 inches in the last couple years as well.

He's been getting hype from the lower level local types like Jamie Shaw, Phenom Hoops (Rick Lewis), etc for a while now.

I usually take how good Jamie Shaw says a player is and knock it down 2 levels
Dunlow66
WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

Dont think we are 'top 3'
First Page Last Page
Page 284 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.