Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,198,384 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by SM1987
NatePait94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quentin Grimes and Keldon Johnson's recruitment will affect one another, in my opinion.

Grimes is being targeted by Kansas, Texas, and Kentucky. Grimes is from Texas.

Keldon Johnson is being targeted by Maryland, NCSU, Kentucky, and Texas.

These two's recruitment is so damn "foggy".

Here are some things that might be of interest going forward.

These are all offers for the SG/CG position in the 2018 class.

Maryland has 2 offers for shooting guards, Keldon, and Kiyon Boyd 3* out of Washington DC.

Texas has 3 offers, Keldon, Quentin Grimes 5* out of Texas, and Greg Williams 3* out of Louisiana.

Kentucky has 4 offers, Keldon, Tyler Herro Wisconsin decommit (very likely he is a future Wildcat), Romeo Langford (unlikely he is a wildcat), and Quentin Grimes.

NC State's lone offer for a SG/CG recruit, is Mr. Keldon Johnson. He has all of our focus for this position.

Keldon has spoken highly of Kentucky and NC State. When we only had commits from Ian Steere and Manny Bates, he stated the he thought we had good pieces and liked what he saw. Now that we have commits from those two, and the addition of Jericole Hellems and, likely, Saddiq Bey, he should LOVE the pieces we have to surround him with. If this kid is smart, which he is, he will pick NC STATE. hahahaha

Seriously though, food for thought.

Edited to add: Quentin Grimes was visited by the entire Jayhawks staff this past Monday. They are all in.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
theAccused
If we land Bey aren't we out of scholarships?
Pack31
GhostofBragaw said:

Sooo:
1) CJ
2) Devon
3) Bates
4) Steere
5) Hellems
6) Beverly
7) Bey
8) possibly Funderburk

Completely different team.

Definitely out of Keldon sweepstakes..but still great class.

Markell, Dorn, Kirk and Hicks....possibly Y7. That's 13. Run like hell for 5 min stretches and reload. I like what KK is building here!
TheWhiteWolf
NatePait94 said:

Quentin Grimes and Keldon Johnson's recruitment will affect one another, in my opinion.

Grimes is being targeted by Kansas, Texas, and Kentucky. Grimes is from Texas.

Keldon Johnson is being targeted by Maryland, NCSU, Kentucky, and Texas.

These two's recruitment is so damn "foggy".

Here are some things that might be of interest going forward.

These are all offers for the SG/CG position in the 2018 class.

Maryland has 2 offers for shooting guards, Keldon, and Kiyon Boyd 3* out of Washington DC.

Texas has 3 offers, Keldon, Quentin Grimes 5* out of Texas, and Greg Williams 3* out of Louisiana.

Kentucky has 4 offers, Keldon, Tyler Herro Wisconsin decommit (very likely he is a future Wildcat), Romeo Langford (unlikely he is a wildcat), and Quentin Grimes.

NC State's lone offer for a SG/CG recruit, is Mr. Keldon Johnson. He has all of our focus for this position.

Keldon has spoken highly of Kentucky and NC State. When we only had commits from Ian Steere and Manny Bates, he stated the he thought we had good pieces and liked what he saw. Now that we have commits from those two, and the addition of Jericole Hellems and, likely, Saddiq Bey, he should LOVE the pieces we have to surround him with. If this kid is smart, which he is, he will pick NC STATE. hahahaha

Seriously though, food for thought.

Edited to add: Quentin Grimes was visited by the entire Jayhawks staff this past Monday. They are all in.

Most are predicting Grimes to Kansas over Kentucky and Tex, saw an assistant from UK had visited a few days before KU showed up. Calipari did make Grimes his first visit when this cycle started. They're saying don't count out UK on this but KU seems to be putting in the work. I am worried Keldon will commit to wildcats before Grimes even decides though
Bulldogwolf27
Pack31 said:

GhostofBragaw said:

Sooo:
1) CJ
2) Devon
3) Bates
4) Steere
5) Hellems
6) Beverly
7) Bey
8) possibly Funderburk

Markell, Dorn, Kirk and Hicks....possibly Y7. That's 13. Run like hell for 5 min stretches and reload. I like what KK is building here!

Unlike Gott, Coach Keatts seems to be loading up on talents for potential exits from players on the current roster. Every year no matter the coach or players expect 1 to 2 players to transfers. It's just how the numbers are working out for college basketball these days. This staff has the forth sight to be prepared for it.
Dunlow66
Looks like we will finish fourth in the Keldon Johnson recruitment. One of the other three programs will land him. Smart money still on Kentucky.
TheWhiteWolf
Dunlow66 said:

Looks like we will finish fourth in the Keldon Johnson recruitment. One of the other three programs will land him. Smart money still on Kentucky.
Did he inform the coaches when they visited Oak Hill the other day? Wonder what happened to eliminate us...oh well :/
NatePait94
I'm wondering the same
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
WolfpackSI
Jaywolf27 said:

Pack31 said:

GhostofBragaw said:

Sooo:
1) CJ
2) Devon
3) Bates
4) Steere
5) Hellems
6) Beverly
7) Bey
8) possibly Funderburk

Unlike Gott, Coach Keatts seems to be loading up on talents for potential exits from players on the current roster. Every year no matter the coach or players expect 1 to 2 players to transfers. It's just how the numbers are working out for college basketball these days. This staff has the forth sight to be prepared for it.
i was kind of thinking along the same lines. I really think we are gonna bring in a grad transfer big unless KK is totally comfortable with going with Hicks, Steere, Bates, and maybe Funderburk...I guess things also change if Yurt comes back but I really doubt he will.
WolfpackSI
Sad to hear that Keldon is going elsewhere but still very excited about the other pieces we are putting together in this recruiting class. You can definitely feel that KK and his staff have a clear vision for what they want this team to be. No more throwing everything you got at as many 5 stars and hoping you get a few hits. This team feels like a more thoughtfully curated team that fits a basketball philosophy.

The 5 stars will come with success. KK has such a charming personality so there is no reason for them not to if we are winning.
Engineer97
^agreed. He hasn't even coached a televised game here yet and is about to pull in 4 - 4 star players his first full recruiting season. Impressive.
TheWhiteWolf
WolfpackSI said:

Sad to hear that Keldon is going elsewhere but still very excited about the other pieces we are putting together in this recruiting class. You can definitely feel that KK and his staff have a clear vision for what they want this team to be. No more throwing everything you got at as many 5 stars and hoping you get a few hits. This team feels like a more thoughtfully curated team that fits a basketball philosophy.

The 5 stars will come with success. KK has such a charming personality so there is no reason for them not to if we are winning.
The big fish usually require the most work. Unfortunate to miss on baker but hopefully the 2019 and 2020 class we can begin to get our foot the door ways (literally) more with the big fish
BackPack
WolfpackSI said:

KK is going to recruit players that fit his system regardless of the stars. Something we haven't had here at NC State in a while. If the 5 stars fit his plan, we'll go get them. If the 3 stars fit, that's what we will have. Either way, it's better than a team with no real gel and system.
metrocard1006
any news on Bey?
Ryman982
metrocard1006 said:

any news on Bey?

Announcing right now....
nryanh94
Wolfpack!
ClePack
I love this recruiting class
Chicwolf67
Great news! Welcome to the WOLFPACK!
Booker3201
Great News!
Bell Tower Grey
I'd said it would be year 3 for Keatts to have a formidable team. He is going to have a damn good one in year two, even if they are young.
NatePait94
This class is top notch
EthanBarry
Staff

I know we aren't getting Keldon, but this is impressive nonetheless
WOLFDAC
Great news...this was locked up awhile ago.
WolfpackSI
Roster update:
Most Likely not returning(5): Omer Yurtseven, Abdul Malik Abu, Lennard Freeman, Al Freeman, Sam Hunt

Most likely returning(8): Markell Johnson(Jr), Torin Dorn(rSr), Lavar Batts(So), Darius Hicks(Jr), Shawn Kirk(Sr)

2018 Eligible Transfers: CJ Bryce(rJr), Devon Daniels(rSo), Braxton Beverly(rFr)

2018 recruits(4): Manny Bates(Fr), Ian Steere(Fr), Jericole Hellems(Fr), Siddiq Bey(Fr)

1 open scholarships going into 2018.

What do you guys think happens to that extra scholarship? Do we save it for Omer or look to add another big in Funderburk?
wolfpackfan00
wolverinepack20
WolfpackSI said:

Roster update:
Most Likely not returning(5): Omer Yurtseven, Abdul Malik Abu, Lennard Freeman, Al Freeman, Sam Hunt

Most likely returning(8): Markell Johnson(Jr), Torin Dorn(rSr), Lavar Batts(So), Darius Hicks(Jr), Shawn Kirk(Sr)

2018 Eligible Transfers: CJ Bryce(rJr), Devon Daniels(rSo), Braxton Beverly(rFr)

2018 recruits(4): Manny Bates(Fr), Ian Steere(Fr), Jericole Hellems(Fr), Siddiq Bey(Fr)

1 open scholarships going into 2018.

What do you guys think happens to that extra scholarship? Do we save it for Omer or look to add another big in Funderburk?
I would move Darius Hicks out of the "most likely returning".. Coach Keatts hasn't said a word about him and he hasn't had any PT... I'm guessing he's on his way out. It stinks cause he has potential but I think he's very likely to bolt after this year as a transfer. So we'll have 1-2 scholly's open, if not more. Another player in that category is thought to be a year to year evaluation kind of guy as well.
twentytoe
Who is the other?
EthanBarry
Staff
Omer is most likely the other guy he's talking about but why are we already talking about who might transfer? How do you know Hicks isn't getting PT? If you are so sure he's transferring because he won't play, why didn't he transfer this offseason?
NCStateFanForLife
wolverinepack20 said:

Coach Keatts hasn't said a word about him and he hasn't had any PT...

Pretty sure nobody on our team has had any PT yet
ryebread
NCStateFanForLife said:

wolverinepack20 said:

Coach Keatts hasn't said a word about him and he hasn't had any PT...

Pretty sure nobody on our team has had any PT yet

In wolverine's defense, he is noticing what I am as well. I think Hicks did not play in at least one of the exhibition games in Italy this summer.

Personally I want everyone back who wants to be here and who the coaches want. Let's see how it all plays out. With Abu's injury, Hicks is seemingly going to get his shot.

On topic with recruiting, I love what KK and staff have done. Get a system and recruit 4 year, 4 star players that fit. When the wins come, we can sprinkle in a 5 star here or there who is of good character and willing to mesh with the system. This is the recipe for success for a program like NC State. Gott never had the vision or the right pitch.

My question as I look at our incoming class is when her anyone can shoot? Playing 4 around 1, I tend to think you need to be able to put 2/3 players on the court at any time that are legit 3 point threats.
Dunlow66
Saddiq Bey is a good outside shooter. Hit 44 percent of his threes in AAU ball this year.
pack1502
Seeing buzz that keldon Johnson has cooled on UK and we have a shot again. Any truth to this?
RowanWolf
Wendell Moore will be at the game Saturday. Student section needs to show him some love!
Dunlow66
pack1502 said:

Seeing buzz that keldon Johnson has cooled on UK and we have a shot again. Any truth to this?
I think Maryland may be the team to benefit if UK is fading. There were strong rumors that he almost committed to Maryland about a month ago. Will do some research and see what I can find.
Dunlow66
RowanWolf said:

Wendell Moore will be at the game Saturday. Student section needs to show him some love!
Wendelll Moore needs to be, IMO, our top target for 2019 now that Joey Baker is off the board. Moore would be a STUD in this system. He is built to play Defense in the passing lanes. Kid is also unselfish. Reminds me SO much ot a young TJ Warren.
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.