Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,220,109 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
nryanh94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

Still don't see him as acc level but maybe we just redshirt?
Why not? Seems like hes got a lot of D-1 offers

He definitely has potential but I'm interested to see if this has something to do with funderburk or if he just wants to redshirt either Gibson or Ebe
Ya this was my first thought at well. Hopefully not the case because this kid has zero offensive game layups and putbacks. Hes gotta be a RS guy

I don't mean he's a bad player because he's obviously gifted he's just not close to game ready yet. He averaged less than a block a game vs really bad hs competition. He definitely needs to learn from funderburk

Don't say that on the premium boards, I said I wasn't excited about this one and we don't need 3 developmental bigs in a class and now I'm "clueless" and a "key board warrior"
Packfan8
nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

He definitely has potential but I'm interested to see if this has something to do with funderburk or if he just wants to redshirt either Gibson or Ebe
Ya this was my first thought at well. Hopefully not the case because this kid has zero offensive game layups and putbacks. Hes gotta be a RS guy

I don't mean he's a bad player because he's obviously gifted he's just not close to game ready yet. He averaged less than a block a game vs really bad hs competition. He definitely needs to learn from funderburk

Don't say that on the premium boards, I said I wasn't excited about this one and we don't need 3 developmental bigs in a class and now I'm "clueless" and a "key board warrior"

It's just sorta questionable to me like we already took Ross in 2021 who is a potential player and ebe is kinda the same way
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

I love the addition

Get one every year like this and redshirt. Its the UVA way!!!
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

It's just sorta questionable to me like we already took Ross in 2021 who is a potential player and ebe is kinda the same way
If the new NCAA transfer rule is approved next year.....we may wish we had more guys 'waiting in the wings'.
nryanh94
Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

I love the addition

But we have 2!!!! And Farrar, it just doesn't make sense to me. I think Gibson has potential, just don't like taking so many developmental guys at a time and this likley takes us out of Wheeler
ClePack
odd. Hmmm... wonder if it's because DJ is leaving
NCSU1995
I like the fact we're getting bigger guys. You've got to have bulk to go down low with UNC-CH, wear them down, and have a shot at keeping our starting 4 & 5 out of foul trouble. We haven't had that in a long time (and the record shows).
Packfan8
football/basketball commitment?
Packfan8
A rumor is going around that mj rice is transferring to oak hill. Will this help or hurt us with him
metcalfmafia
Packfan8 said:

A rumor is going around that mj rice is transferring to oak hill. Will this help or hurt us with him

That is a great move for him coming off the injury. Prove everyone you've still got it at the highest high school level. I'd say it hurts more than helps. I know it's been said that Keatts has a good relationship with Steve Smith, but he has yet to land a kid from there. A big season may also have the blue bloods in hot pursuit.
Engineer97
nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

I gave them direct info about a football recruit that I got from coaches that have coached against the kid the last three years. If they don't like what you say...
1985 NCSU Grad
Great addition. Tall and length at the 4 while able to play the 3 and 5 if needed. Growth spurt added the height while retaining ball skills. Quick leaper, quick feet with lengthy wingspan which helps versatility on defense.
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

I love the addition

But we have 2!!!! And Farrar, it just doesn't make sense to me. I think Gibson has potential, just don't like taking so many developmental guys at a time and this likley takes us out of Wheeler
Gibson isnt blocking Wheeler, IMO, not at all. Wheeler is going to be a star and if Kansas pushes, I think he lands there just like David McCormack and Udoka Azabuki
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Doubt it impacts us much in this one.
Dunlow66
Providence offers one of my favorites in 2021....Elijah Jamison

Love the staff at Providence. They do a solid job of identifying and recruiting NC/VA talent.
WolfpackSI
Dunlow66 said:

Love the staff at Providence. They do a solid job of identifying and recruiting NC/VA talent.

Isaiah Battle recruits NC/VA just like Keatts. But we've had their number recently with Seabron, Moore, and now Gibson.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
nryanh94
WolfpackSI said:

Dunlow66 said:

Isaiah Battle recruits NC/VA just like Keatts. But we've had their number recently with Seabron, Moore, and now Gibson.

I think Seabron will be the first or 2nd guy drafted under keatts
Packfan8
I feel like Gibson will definitely redshirt, without players able get on campus in summer he will need to add some weight before playing for us but I like the idea of keeping a guy redshirted each year.
Packfan8
Did Markell not graduate? The nc state basketball twitter congratulated cj bryce but not anyone else
WolfpackSI
nryanh94 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Dunlow66 said:

Don't you dare get me excited.

I could see Daniels being a 2nd rounder next year if he continues to play how he did at the end of the year. Seems like he was having his "Al Freeman light switch moment"

Edit: assuming hes coming back that is...
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
ClePack
nryanh94 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Dunlow66 said:

Could be the second if Hall is taken!
WolfpackSI
ClePack said:

nryanh94 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Dunlow66 said:

Could be the second if Hall is taken!

I respect their decisions but Hall and his dad get no wolfpack love from me.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
nryanh94
When I say 2nd that's me assuming Manny is the first
Glasswolf
nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

Maybe if you hadn't said in August of last year that he was "good get" for WF you wouldn't have been bashed. If he was good enough for WF he should be ACC level talent
nryanh94
Glasswolf said:

nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

Maybe if you hadn't said in August of last year that he was "good get" for WF you wouldn't have been bashed. If he was good enough for WF he should be ACC level talent

Maybe if you read my posts you'd get it, I didn't say he was a bad player, I said I wasn't excited about it. We are bringing in 3 forwards in a guard dominant offense, 2 of those are going to play the same position, all 3 likley need to RS. It can be both a good pick up for wake and a not good one for us.

Everyone is acting like I came out and said the kid ****ing sucked.

Also, because he was good enough for a bottom tier ACC team that makes him ACC level talent? Really? That's a crazy blanket statement to make, their are plenty of kids who have been offered by an ACC school who aren't cut out to be ACC players. Do I think Gibson is one of those? No, I think the kid has great potential and can be an ACC level talent. Do I think he's ACC level now? No, I don't he has work to do but he has the tools to get there if he puts in the work. I just think it's a weird move to take 3 forwards in the same class. It would've made sense to take 1 of him and Farrar or 1 of him and Dowuona, but taking all 3 together just seems like a reach.
Bulldogwolf27
nryanh94 said:

Glasswolf said:

nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

Maybe if you read my posts you'd get it, I didn't say he was a bad player, I said I wasn't excited about it. We are bringing in 3 forwards in a guard dominant offense, 2 of those are going to play the same position, all 3 likley need to RS. It can be both a good pick up for wake and a not good one for us.

Also, because he was good enough for a bottom tier ACC team that makes him ACC level talent? Really? That's a crazy blanket statement to make, their are plenty of kids who have been offered by an ACC school who aren't cut out to be ACC players. Do I think Gibson is one of those? No, I think the kid has great potential and can be an ACC level talent, I just think it's a weird move to take 3 forwards in the same class. It would've made sense to take 1 of him and Farrar or 1 of him and Dowuona, but taking all 3 together just seems like a reach.

I understand your worries about taking two sub 300 recruits, but Farrar is only a project because of his body. I think he can still be a shooter and small ball 5 for us if he doesn't get in great shape. He's a proven scorer, he just needs to find his niche. Also I think GIBSON and Dowuona are completely different players, so I'm okay with redshirting two guys possibly because we have so many high level guards on the roster.
Packfan8
Jaywolf27 said:

nryanh94 said:

Glasswolf said:

nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

Also, because he was good enough for a bottom tier ACC team that makes him ACC level talent? Really? That's a crazy blanket statement to make, their are plenty of kids who have been offered by an ACC school who aren't cut out to be ACC players. Do I think Gibson is one of those? No, I think the kid has great potential and can be an ACC level talent, I just think it's a weird move to take 3 forwards in the same class. It would've made sense to take 1 of him and Farrar or 1 of him and Dowuona, but taking all 3 together just seems like a reach.

I understand your worries about taking two sub 300 recruits, but Farrar is only a project because of his body. I think he can still be a shooter and small ball 5 for us if he doesn't get in great shape. He's a proven scorer, he just needs to find his niche. Also I think GIBSON and Dowuona are completely different players, so I'm okay with redshirting two guys possibly because we have so many high level guards on the roster.
FWIW Farrar is claiming to be 6'8" now if that's the case he will be a solid 4 in our system. Hopefully he keeps in shape and the baby fat stays off because he's a beast offensively. Hes a very similar hs player to Luke Maye, both had that baby fat look, also both were ranked 155 by 247
wufpack7
Packfan8 said:

Did Markell not graduate? The nc state basketball twitter congratulated cj bryce but not anyone else
Remember that Bryce has been in school for 5 years and Markell only for 4. I don't think it's easy for a full-time athlete to graduate in 4 years unless they are academically motivated. And MJ was rumored to have potential grade issues more than once during his career. Hopefully he's close, and can finish up after his playing career (wherever that may be) ends. Or maybe with the virus mess he could hang around a bit longer and finish up first?
WolfpackSI
wufpack7 said:

Packfan8 said:

Remember that Bryce has been in school for 5 years and Markell only for 4. I don't think it's easy for a full-time athlete to graduate in 4 years unless they are academically motivated. And MJ was rumored to have potential grade issues more than once during his career. Hopefully he's close, and can finish up after his playing career (wherever that may be) ends. Or maybe with the virus mess he could hang around a bit longer and finish up first?

I remember someone told me that the average student takes 4.5 years to graduate from state. I know that's definitely the case for CoE when I was in school. This was like around 2012 when UNC was implementing some stupid rule that they kick you out if you dont get your degree in 4 years...not sure how things are nowadays.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
nryanh94

Kind of shocked we haven't gotten involved here
nryanh94
Jaywolf27 said:

nryanh94 said:

Glasswolf said:

nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

WolfpackSI said:

Packfan8 said:

wolfpackfan00 said:

I couldn't care less about what their ranking is, it's that we're bringing in 3 kids who all likley need a year or 2 before they can make real contributions. Whether because they are raw, or need to get in a strength and conditioning program. Now that may be fine and we may not need them, but when DJ leaves one of Gibson or Ebe will have to step up now.
Packfan8

Missed this a couple days ago but he just committed to seton hall.
nryanh94
Packfan8 said:

Maybe we're seeing a shift from what Keatts was using at the 4 (Torin Dorn) to a bigger stretch 4 like DJ. Would explain Gibson, Belton and this guy all being reached out to. If that's the case I feel a lot better about taking Gibson on as a project than I did initially
Packfan8
nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

Maybe we're seeing a shift from what Keatts was using at the 4 (Torin Dorn) to a bigger stretch 4 like DJ. Would explain Gibson, Belton and this guy all being reached out to. If that's the case I feel a lot better about taking Gibson on as a project than I did initially

That's how I felt, you can see the shift in keatts system. He now wants to run 3 guards and then two athletic bigs who could stretch the floor if left open. I like it especially since he clearly wasn't just reaching for Gibson he was targeting that type player
WolfpackSI
nryanh94 said:

Packfan8 said:

Hellems still got a lot of run at the 4 last year and hes closer to Dorn than DJ. That may have been out of necessity though. With Manny fouls, Andrees injury, and I dont think i need to explain Dixon
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
First Page Last Page
Page 296 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.