Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,223,433 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
warlords86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just curious. Why do you consider the college tuition option complete BS?
jbwbubba
wolfpackjb said:

The good thing is there are other good options at a similar size/position as Styles. Ernest Ross and Eric Van der Hijden come to mind

Of course then they go pro.
WolfpackSI
warlords86 said:

I feel like its one of those things that sounds a lot better on paper than in reality. So these kids can feel good about their decision because they can always go back to school when their career is over. When you go to a school on a basketball scholarship you get a lot of things: acceptance, tuition coverage, room/board coverage, and academic support. First of all, not all colleges are equal. How many of these kids could actually get into Duke, UNC, NC State or any other ACC school just based on academic merit? Probably not a majority. On top of that, is the gleague gonna give academic support to these kids when they go back to school or are they just gonna cover tuition? These kids probably will need more academic support because they are removed from any kind of schooling for multiple years.
wolfpackjb
jbwbubba said:

wolfpackjb said:

The good thing is there are other good options at a similar size/position as Styles. Ernest Ross and Eric Van der Hijden come to mind

The guys I mentioned won't be eligible to go pro, but I get the sentiment. It really sucks
warlords86
wolfpackjb said:

jbwbubba said:

wolfpackjb said:

The guys I mentioned won't be eligible to go pro, but I get the sentiment. It really sucks
Why would they not be eligible to go through this new developmental pathway? It covers the "one-year removed from their graduating class" clause because that would be the one year. It is just like a kid deciding not to go to college and spending the one year overseas. Now they just don't have to leave the country. Any graduating senior who is good enough can go this route.
wolfpackjb
warlords86 said:

wolfpackjb said:

jbwbubba said:

wolfpackjb said:

Why would they not be eligible to go through this new developmental pathway? It covers the "one-year removed from their graduating class" clause because that would be the one year. It is just like a kid deciding not to go to college and spending the one year overseas. Now they just don't have to leave the country. Any graduating senior who is good enough can go this route.

I'm not sure the guys I mentioned would necessarily be guys the league would be looking at. No disrespect to them at all, but they aren't exactly considered "elite" recruits. But anything could happen I guess
warlords86
Oh, Ok! when you said "eligible" I thought you meant rules-wise. I agree, that there are some kids who we won't have to worry about going that route because they are not "elite."
Acb0110
WolfpackSI said:

warlords86 said:

I feel like its one of those things that sounds a lot better on paper than in reality. So these kids can feel good about their decision because they can always go back to school when their career is over. When you go to a school on a basketball scholarship you get a lot of things: acceptance, tuition coverage, room/board coverage, and academic support. First of all, not all colleges are equal. How many of these kids could actually get into Duke, UNC, NC State or any other ACC school just based on academic merit? Probably not a majority. On top of that, is the gleague gonna give academic support to these kids when they go back to school or are they just gonna cover tuition? These kids probably will need more academic support because they are removed from any kind of schooling for multiple years.

Let's be honest. A college degree means nothing unless your a Dr, lawyer, engineer, or scientist. Everything else can be learned for free via the internet. As someone who owns a medium sized business, we only look at experience and consider college grads to be dumb and expensive to train. You get a decent one every once in a while but they aren't worth it. We don't even want your education level listed on your resume. I am way more likely to hire former military with no degree over a recent college grad. And that's in a branded fashion business. So if you can get $500K out of high school, you would be a fool to go to college. That kind of money sets you up to start business, invest, etc... as opposed to wasting 2-4 years for a piece of paper that means nothing and then starting life with nothing except debt in most cases. I have a degree, a masters, and have never used either accept to commission into the military. I did military stuff for one tour and got out to start my own business. Now have multiple business and just paid my last student loan payment. Oh, and I was a D1 scholarship athlete. Still needed loans to get through school. Universities no longer have a good argument. I saved to put my sister through school and when she graduated high school I offered her the money to either go to school or start a business. She chose business and now makes $200K per year at the age of 23. I'd say she made the correct choice.
Wlfpacka7
Acb0110 said:

WolfpackSI said:

warlords86 said:

Let's be honest. A college degree means nothing unless your a Dr, lawyer, engineer, or scientist. Everything else can be learned for free via the internet. As someone who owns a medium sized business, we only look at experience and consider college grads to be dumb and expensive to train. You get a decent one every once in a while but they aren't worth it. We don't even want your education level listed on your resume. I am way more likely to hire former military with no degree over a recent college grad. And that's in a branded fashion business. So if you can get $500K out of high school, you would be a fool to go to college. That kind of money sets you up to start business, invest, etc... as opposed to wasting 2-4 years for a piece of paper that means nothing and then starting life with nothing except debt in most cases. I have a degree, a masters, and have never used either accept to commission into the military. I did military stuff for one tour and got out to start my own business. Now have multiple business and just paid my last student loan payment. Oh, and I was a D1 scholarship athlete. Still needed loans to get through school. Universities no longer have a good argument. I saved to put my sister through school and when she graduated high school I offered her the money to either go to school or start a business. She chose business and now makes $200K per year at the age of 23. I'd say she made the correct choice.
What's the name of your medium sized business or multiple small businesses? Just curious.
pack1502
Acb0110 said:

WolfpackSI said:

warlords86 said:

Hey google, what is extrapolation?
Acb0110
If I tell you that, then you'll know who I am. I'm not a very public person.
Acb0110
Out of my close friend group, only 3 of us have degrees. The other 4 don't. 2 of those 4 have successful business and the other two make very good incomes. Be honest, a degree in communications gets you nowhere. A degree in history or art does nothing. A degree in programming is useless bc the really good computer guys are great before they ever think about college. What do you think most athletes are majoring in? It's not engineering or premed for most of them.
Packfan8
Landers Nolley is down to Memphis, Georgia and ole miss
Packfan8

Former target
CLTWolf
Packfan8 said:

Former target

Are you thinking of Isaac Okoro that's at Auburn? Fairly certain we weren't after this guy at all.

Seems like this kid is/can be a pretty good rebounder but that seems like about all you'd get.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
1985 NCSU Grad
You guys are idiots...your thoughts on degrees are as stupid as playing in the road.
nryanh94
CLTWolf said:

Packfan8 said:

Former target

Are you thinking of Isaac Okoro that's at Auburn? Fairly certain we weren't after this guy at all.

Seems like this kid is/can be a pretty good rebounder but that seems like about all you'd get.

Per twitter we apparently offered him. What youre saying was my intial though too
CLTWolf
nryanh94 said:

CLTWolf said:

Packfan8 said:

Former target

Per twitter we apparently offered him. What youre saying was my intial though too

Interesting. I don't recall us being on this kid at all. I can see us reaching out now bc we seem to be on sit out bigs.
apackfan69
warlords86 said:

New G-League Option

Oh how the times they is a-changin'!
Change will be for smaller schools. Don't think for a second that if a 5 star kid is committed to a blue blood school he will go to the G league. Between the school and Nike they will pay more to keep them them in college. To much money is made off these schools being in the top 10 every year. Hell the Rams club can pay more than the G league, Sorry guys but UNC will feast off of this.
pack1502
Acb0110 said:

Out of my close friend group, only 3 of us have degrees. The other 4 don't. 2 of those 4 have successful business and the other two make very good incomes. Be honest, a degree in communications gets you nowhere. A degree in history or art does nothing. A degree in programming is useless bc the really good computer guys are great before they ever think about college. What do you think most athletes are majoring in? It's not engineering or premed for most of them.

I don't think you know what extrapolation is!
Dunlow66
Can we stick to recruiting.

Hall to NCSU looking less and less likely

Who's up next?
WolfpackSI
Dunlow66 said:

Who's up next?

You tell us lol
HungryWolf92
Dunlow66 said:

Who's up next?
wolfpackjb
Dunlow66 said:

Who's up next?

Would you see Kier as an adequate replacement for Hall? Obviously he's much smaller but appears to be a decent player
CLTWolf

This kid is pretty good. Will be interesting to see who all comes after him. Stat sheet stuffer with size.

Shot well his FR year and then fell off big this year.
WolfpackSI
wolfpackjb said:

Dunlow66 said:

Who's up next?

Would you see Kier as an adequate replacement for Hall? Obviously he's much smaller but appears to be a decent player

There was a report that when players move up a level their production is cut in half so probably not
Packfan8
CLTWolf said:

This kid is pretty good. Will be interesting to see who all comes after him. Stat sheet stuffer with size.

Shot well his FR year and then fell off big this year.
I would like this to be a Hall replacement if need be. And if he's not eligible immediately it could help to redshirt him because as everyone knows we aren't playing 13 guys next year it'll probably be more like 10-11
Packfan8
Styles commits to unc. No surprise
oceanclub
Styles followed the kinston birthright.
apackfan69
Packfan8 said:

Styles commits to unc. No surprise
Yep, the UNC/Kinston checkbook oh I mean pipeline opens back up.
WolfpackSI
UNC wins, we don't.

Same **** different day
StrengthOfThePack92
After watching a few highlight vids, the UAB Transfer is very intriguing
nryanh94

Kid we offered, don't think we're on him anymore
wolfpackjb
StrengthOfThePack92 said:

After watching a few highlight vids, the UAB Transfer is very intriguing

I thought the same thing. It makes me wonder why his numbers weren't any better than they were, because he's clearly got some skills for a guy his size. Need to do some more digging on him!
ClePack
Dunlow66 said:

Who's up next?
Unreal. Duped two years in a row. Keatts has to be smarter man....
First Page Last Page
Page 288 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.