Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,224,097 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
nryanh94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll say one thing about Jalen, no one is count to out works him.
Packfan8
I'll gladly trade one jalen for another. We would be guaranteed like 3-4 years of cone or none for lecque. Cone has been on multiple unofficial visits and reading an article from a few days ago he keeps listing NC state as a school that is recruiting him hard but just hasn't offered
Struttingwolf96
I agree, once again Keatts being to picky with handing out offers to NC kids.
nryanh94
Struttingwolf96 said:

I didn't say he was picky. I think the reason he didn't offer Cone is because he only had a certain number of schollys in 2020 and feels good about Hayes and Thomas. Think Cone being willing to move to 2019 is what has peaked Keatts interest. But we'll see. Maybe Cone really wants to come here.
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

I didn't say he was picky. I think the reason he didn't offer Cone is because he only had a certain number of schollys in 2020 and feels good about Hayes and Thomas. Think Cone being willing to move to 2019 is what has peaked Keatts interest. But we'll see. Maybe Cone really wants to come here.
and I dont see the need to constantly make such comments about Coach Keatts.
nryanh94
Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

I think a lot of people don't understand the fine line in recruiting. What happens if you offer a kid like Hall, cone or Mckoy early and then they commit? Say the player then doesn't develop and isn't a true high major prospect by the time they're a senior, the coach is either going to have to pull their scholarship (which burns bridges with aau/hs coaches and makes us look bad) or honor the scholarship (then we have people complaining that we don't have acc caliber players and the coach will likely lose their job soon because of lack of talent.)

Let Keatts offer who he wants to offer, its his program and his career. You can't offer every kid, and we aren't the type of program that has to go all in on a kid early to get them. Yes we aren't a duke or unc or uk, but we don't have to be like wake/providence/Clemson either.
WOLFDAC
Been told Markell is not going to sit one to play one and he's not a 1st rounder...he's getting feedback about the state of his game as it pertains to the next level...if he returns, that feedback still needs to mesh with what Coach wants out of his PG aka not detrimental to the team and system...that being said, I think he's back next season.
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

I think a lot of people don't understand the fine line in recruiting. What happens if you offer a kid like Hall, cone or Mckoy early and then they commit? Say the player then doesn't develop and isn't a true high major prospect by the time they're a senior, the coach is either going to have to pull their scholarship (which burns bridges with aau/hs coaches and makes us look bad) or honor the scholarship (then we have people complaining that we don't have acc caliber players and the coach will likely lose their job soon because of lack of talent.)

Let Keatts offer who he wants to offer, its his program and his career. You can't offer every kid, and we aren't the type of program that has to go all in on a kid early to get them. Yes we aren't a duke or unc or uk, but we don't have to be like wake/providence/Clemson either.
Providence pulls a lot of talent from the same areas we recruit. They have a solid recruiting staff, IMO. Has to hard to recruit quality players from the South to relocate and play for that program.
metcalfmafia
WOLFDAC said:

Been told Markell is not going to sit one to play one and he's not a 1st rounder...he's getting feedback about the state of his game as it pertains to the next level...if he returns, that feedback still needs to mesh with what Coach wants out of his PG aka not detrimental to the team and system...that being said, I think he's back next season.
You need to join premium man!
Dunlow66
WOLFDAC said:

Markell returning would be better than a five star 'one and done', IMO
metcalfmafia
Dunlow66 said:

WOLFDAC said:

Absolutely.
WolfPacker54
Markell would automatically make us a contender in the ACC next year. He's the difference between a mediocre and great season.
Dunlow66
WolfPacker54 said:

Markell would automatically make us a contender in the ACC next year. He's the difference between a mediocre and great season.
Still need another bigman, IMO, to be a contender.

But Markell makes us a different team, no doubt about it.
WolfpackSI
WOLFDAC said:

Been told Markell is not going to sit one to play one and he's not a 1st rounder
Thanks for the update WOLFDAC

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but are there issues between Markell and Keatts? Never considered him a transfer candidate so surprised that even came into consideration.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
WolfpackSI
Markell + Cone + Brooks would be great for us. I think Markell can play himself into the late first if hes able to put it all together with some consistency. He had that dumb court case in 2017/18 and the back injury in 2018/19. both those events happened around the start of the spring semester and he never got into a complete rhythm of ACC play. He was playing catch up and that hurt his game.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
ClePack
1985 NCSU Grad said:

ClePack said:

Packfan8 said:

TheDireWolf33 said:

Anthony just verbally committed to unc

They've got one spot left. Should put the pressure on keeling to commit and likely will
Wow. They're going to be even better next year than they were this past season.

Nope. You do not lose your top 5 scorers, 3 senior leaders and be better espcially when those guys are Luke Maye and Cam Johnson. While Williams was a calming factor when he came in. They take a step back, small step, but backwards while we take a step forward. The gap is closer next year and we win one of the two head to head games.
While i'd love to believe this, there is no way we win one of 2 against them. Cole will be better than white, and bacot is their best big of the last few years. If they add Keeling, they'll be top 5 again. We aren't going to be able to handle that just based off the talent on our roster alone. That's just the reality right now from how I see it
IseWolf22
Dunlow66 said:

WOLFDAC said:

Oh god, don't get my hopes up again. I want Markell back so bad.

In addition to being a huuge addition to the team, he's just really fun to watch when he goes into "taking over" mode
TheDireWolf33
Disagree - looks at Roy's big men in the past (and how highly rated those recruits were) it tends to take them years to develop into his system. As for point guards - cole Anthony is the real deal but again, when have we seen Roy pull together a group of 1 year guys and get them to mesh. Some can handle it year 1 ala Coby White. But a VAST majority take many years- Joel Berry, Theo pinson, Macadoo, Nasir the list could go on and on. Roy is a great coach but has never strayed from his system and that system isn't a 1 year system. I'm having a hard time seeing them compete at a elite level next year unless the trend is broken. Sometimes I like to look at Roy's old recruiting classes and imagine if duke/Uk (even NCSU) could have kept the guys similarly rated for 4 years like the tar heels have.
Dunlow66

FollowingFollowing @jakeweingarten
More

I'm being told that the Hauser brothers have scheduled an official visit to Michigan State for the weekend of May 3rd, a source told @Stockrisers. Planning a UVA visit as well.
Dunlow66
TheDireWolf33 said:

Disagree - looks at Roy's big men in the past (and how highly rated those recruits were) it tends to take them years to develop into his system. As for point guards - cole Anthony is the real deal but again, when have we seen Roy pull together a group of 1 year guys and get them to mesh. Some can handle it year 1 ala Coby White. But a VAST majority take many years- Joel Berry, Theo pinson, Macadoo, Nasir the list could go on and on. Roy is a great coach but has never strayed from his system and that system isn't a 1 year system. I'm having a hard time seeing them compete at a elite level next year unless the trend is broken. Sometimes I like to look at Roy's old recruiting classes and imagine if duke/Uk (even NCSU) could have kept the guys similarly rated for 4 years like the tar heels have.
Wait til they land Kerry Blackshear
TheDireWolf33
I will let Roy play the 1 and done game all day long (as long as they don't stay) which I think the one and done era has expanded where more people are going to the draft. Looked up a few of Roy's best recruits while at unc.

Name, ESPN Ranking, Year 1 stat line
Justin jackson - 8 (10,2,3)
Tony Bradley - 17 (7,5,.6)
Theo pinson - 10 (2.8, 3, .6)
Joel Berry - 17 (4.2, 1.5, .9)
Marcus Paige - 22 (8.2, 4.6, 2.7)
Macadoo -6 (6.1, 3.9, .3)
PJ Hairston - 13 (5.7, 2.2, .8)
Reggie Bullock - 18 (6.1, .6, 2.8)
Kendall Marshall - 22 (6.2, 6.2, 2.1)
John Henson - 6 (5.7, .9, 4.4)
Harrison Barnes - 1 (15.6, 5.8, 1.4)

Cam Johnson - (12, 4, 2)

Maybe the bigger question is how are these guys staying at UNC/ not transferring
TheDireWolf33
Kerry is great! No doubt about it. But I will be very interested to watch a brand new starting 5 in the line up next year when majority of these players won't get on campus till the summer.
ClePack
TheDireWolf33 said:

you make a lot of good points here. We'll see. You are definitely correct in that Roy's system isn't really designed for the one and done guy.
duran_duran
WolfpackSI said:

WOLFDAC said:

Been told Markell is not going to sit one to play one and he's not a 1st rounder
Thanks for the update WOLFDAC

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but are there issues between Markell and Keatts? Never considered him a transfer candidate so surprised that even came into consideration.
No issues that I have heard of. Markell was obviously a Gottfried recruit but he seems to respect coach Keatts.
RDUwolfpack
Isn't MJ a year younger than most rising SR too?
Packfan8
RDUwolfpack said:

Yep was originally a 2017 recruit and reclassified in the summer to come in with class of 2016
IseWolf22
Packfan8 said:

RDUwolfpack said:

Yep was originally a 2017 recruit and reclassified in the summer to come in with class of 2016

He turns 21 in August. He's a little bit young for a junior. Most turn 21 at some point during the school year
But it seems like most basketball players are a year older than their grade
Dunlow66
Didnt really reclass at all, just rejoined his original class.

Markell had some academic issues as a freshman in HS that caused him to later reclass. Moved back into his natural class when he committed.
Packfan8
Dunlow66 said:

Markell had some academic issues as a freshman in HS that caused him to later reclass. Moved back into his natural class when he committed.

Never knew that I always figured because he was young
Dunlow66
Packfan8 said:

Dunlow66 said:

Never knew that I always figured because he was young
Markell will be 21 before his senior year begins.

I was only 20 and never changed class or anythiing in HS. He is right on track.
Bulldogwolf27
Dunlow, you were really young. I didn't "reclass" and I was a natural senior graduate at 22 because of birthdate. But Markell is in line with his normal class
Packfan8
Is vt still a threat for cone or is he mainly focused on Tennessee after the coaching change in Blacksburg
Packfan8
N.C. state has offered jalen cone
Packfan8
Packfan8 said:

N.C. state has offered jalen cone

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina-state/Season/2020-Basketball/Offers/
1985 NCSU Grad
Blackshear - watch out for Kentucky - possible destination...
First Page Last Page
Page 145 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.