Cord Cutting (Internet TV options)

6,157 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ryan Williams
jnbwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I, like many, have been debating about getting rid of cable tv. I would keep the Internet provided by the cable company but stream the content.

Currently I regularly use...
  • Netflix
  • Kodi
  • GearsTV (IPTV with every channel and PPV) @ 15 a month

I am thinking about getting the cheapest DirectTV now subscription at $35 a month to have a legitimate service in case Kodi/GearsTV goes down.

Price Breakdown:
Current Cable and Internet $200 a month with poor tv quality and constant issues with boxes.

NetFlix - $12
Kodi - Free
GearTV-$15
DirectTV-$35
Internet-$60

Total- $122

----------------------

I can save a little money per month by ditching the cable company, but in full disclosure I just want to dump them.

Questions:

Can anyone give their experience with DirectTV NOW? I currently have 200MBps down so connection would be an issue.

Any wisdom on a better way to cut the cord?

Thanks
NatePait94
My girl and I cut everything except for internet. We now use a jailbroken firestick and watch live tv and any movie or show on the planet, on demand.

It works so well that we set up both of our parents with it and they couldn't be more pleased.
NatePait94
Oh, and it is free.
jnbwolf
Update: I have been using DirectTV NOW for a few days. Overall I believe it is worth it.

PROS: Price, Leaving Cable behind
CONS: A few momentary buffers every few hours. (avg 1 an hour, last less than 2 seconds: I have 200 down)
More steps to get to tv
Guide is not as fluid as cable
Takes a few seconds between channel flips

TraCha4
Good question!
I am interested in seeing everyone's methods as well. This is something my wife and I have been researching for months.
NatePait94
We pay $50 a month for internet from spectrum and a one time fee of $40 for an Amazon fire stick. Watched a 10 minute video of how to install Kodi onto the fire stick, and "jailbreak" it. Now we can watch anything on the planet for free. From the movies currently in theaters to ones made in the 40's. From the biggest fights on pay per view to the Uzbekistan versus Latvia national chess tournament. It is all for free. The best part is that the new versions have VPN's installed already so there is virtually no chance of being detected.
Kgar2121
NatePait94 said:

We pay $50 a month for internet from spectrum and a one time fee of $40 for an Amazon fire stick. Watched a 10 minute video of how to install Kodi onto the fire stick, and "jailbreak" it. Now we can watch anything on the planet for free. From the movies currently in theaters to ones made in the 40's. From the biggest fights on pay per view to the Uzbekistan versus Latvia national chess tournament. It is all for free. The best part is that the new versions have VPN's installed already so there is virtually no chance of being detected.
Which new version has the VPN installed, the software or the firestick? Going to check this out ASAP!
NatePait94
The software does. I am running Kodi and the jailbroken version is called titanium. I know they have hundreds of different mods to try but I have been using titanium since v 1.2 and now it is at 6.4 and the latest update has a VPN. The source is www.pulse.something lol. It automatically updates. Even before the VPN though I never had any issues or got any emails from my internet company.
NatePait94
I could be wrong but I believe you can also download VPN software using the downloader app on the fire stick. If you run it through your computer it makes it even easier but I run mine through my Xbox One S.
Kgar2121
Thanks!
TraCha4
You can watch live tv with this as well? Live sports games (State games)? You get local channels as well?

Do you have to create passwords and sign into different networks when trying to watch certain games?
TraCha4
Also how does this work for different tv's in the house? Say you have 3 bedrooms and a bonus room along with living room tv. Do you have to have 5 different fire sticks?
NatePait94
You have to have a fire stick for each television as they plug directly into the HDMI port.
NatePait94
You do not have to create passwords to watch certain games. There are no username or passwords involved. No creating any accounts. All you have to do is install a certain software from a source, and there are videos that show you step by step on how to do it. Takes longer to watch the video than it does to set up.

In regards to live TV.
You can watch live tv. You can watch any channel on the planet. ESPN 1 2 and 3. Fox sports, news channels from Raleigh, Tampa bay, new York. Fox 8, fox 11, 14, fox 3, etc. Every single local channel and international channel. It has EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL on the planet. If it is getting aired, it is getting streamed to your Kodi software. There are also databases with every single.movie and show ever created. I watched the latest Spider-Man movie a week after it hit theaters and the same with the wonder woman movie. If I miss an episode of my reality tv show, it is on their for streaming the very next day. I know this all sounds too good to be true, but this is the world we live in today. Truly everything at your fingertips.
TraCha4
Awesome. I appreciate the info. This sounds like a no brainer.
I40Wolf
I currently have Comcast w/internet and pay about $250/month.

I need internet and watch the following

ESPN suite of channels
HBO
Showtime
Netflix
Amazon (I have Prime)
CNN. MSNBC, Fox

I have AppleTV

What do you recomend to lower my cable bill?
NatePait94
If you are to keep all your extras (prime, Netflix, HBO go) and also keep cable, I would recommend switching to Directv or Sling. $250 a month for viewing programs is insane.
Textilewolf
https://slickdeals.net/f/10806843-4k-apple-tv-4-months-prepaid-directv-now-140-new-customers

I took advantage of this a few weeks ago and have been extremely happy.
NatePait94
$35 a month is not bad at all
Textilewolf
NatePait94 said:

$35 a month is not bad at all
You get $15 off that with an ATT phone account too (depending on plan)!
packchief&teach
We started using Directv Now earlier in the summer. Have been happy with minimal issues. We upgraded to the $50 package during football season. We also have an antenna for locals. Directv Now has also added several locals.

We have a fire stick and hubby loaded Kodi but we have barely used. Seems very time consuming to find what I'm looking for live. Would love tips and pointers!
NatePait94
It totally depends on what build you have, in regards to Kodi.

It is all I have access to so even though it is not always the most convenient, it is something that I have been forced to reconcile with. In the end I always get my shows though.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
Wolfer79
TBS, TNT, Adult Swim, CNN and other Turner networks have been added to YouTube TV. NBA TV and MLB Network are on the way. And there's no price increase...as long as you sign up by March 13. https://t.co/o1Cfom46XP
jnbwolf
2+ months in with DirectTV NOW and I am not that impressed. I have outstanding broadband coverage and it will still buffer 2-3 times an hour, with some days being even worse. Changing channels still take a few seconds as well. No way does this compares to cable tv in quality and ease of use, but the price is right.

Note: never text your buddies while watching an important game. They will be 7-10 seconds a head of you everytime.
Petrini89
Anybody have experience with Sling, Hulu Live Tv or YouTube TV?
wolfpack2002
This is a very good deal...

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv?ref=EaYAAT00G0000000A&CI=CJ_AFFILIATE&RI=CJ1&RD=37922269
Petrini89
wolfpack2002 said:

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv?ref=EaYAAT00G0000000A&CI=CJ_AFFILIATE&RI=CJ1&RD=37922269
This is a great deal, thanks for the heads up. I just went ahead and signed up. Figured worse case scenario I can go ahead and drop my cable, shop around for 3 more months while I decide to stick with them or switch to someone else and either way I get to keep the Apple TV (worth $179.99 for people not familiar). Thanks again for sharing
wolfpack2002
Petrini89 said:

wolfpack2002 said:

This is a great deal, thanks for the heads up. I just went ahead and signed up. Figured worse case scenario I can go ahead and drop my cable, shop around for 3 more months while I decide to stick with them or switch to someone else and either way I get to keep the Apple TV (worth $179.99 for people not familiar). Thanks again for sharing

No problem!
Ryan Williams
Staff
I have been using Sling TV ($25 a month with Orange package and Sports Extra) and I am fairly happy. I do not watch much TV but gives me all the channels I need for sports. I bought a cheap HD antenna for local channels. Only knock is that the channels can be fairly quiet and you have to crank the volume up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.