Western NC Flooding

6,689 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by packgrad
erniencsu02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Chimney Rock / Lake Lure area used to be an easy trip for me when I lived out in Hickory and the kids were still growing up, probably been there 8 times over the years... he's wrong about the water going to the Cape Fear eventually though, you'd think him supposedly living in Asheville 7-8 years as he claimed in the video that he'd know his river systems a little better than that.

Hate seeing those pictures of US-64 in Chimney Rock.

All those times driving thru various mountain communities and seeing the houses right along the rivers and creeks, often separated from the road by a small bridge. always looks kinda romantic as you drive by. I thought about the people in those houses when the videos started rolling in. You pray they were able to leave before it got bad
yes thats exactly what comes to mind.
GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/DAjhpbSS80Q

Quote:

Sixty seconds. Thats the time that was devoted to the damage on NPR this morning. Followed by 8 and a half minutes on Bangladesh then almost 5 minutes on how climate change made #hurricanehelene strong.
Be under no illusion that #appalachia will look like it did three weeks ago. FEMA will give pennies, then the banksters will come in and take what little our people have left. They will make sure it is rebuilt for them to vacation in with no concern for actual #appalachians.

Support your communities. You cannot trust in washington d.c. to actually take care of us.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
ncsupack1
If anyone is interesting in seeing the damage, Greg Biffle is flying his helicopter and helping either recuse or drop off supplies. He has some really sad footage of some of these areas hit hard.
stuartmcarthur5
It's utterly devastating to see all of this. We got very lucky and only have minor damage that we can see. Had 5 trees hit my house and we have about 15+ total down in the yard and woods. So glad we have such a good community and neighborhood that we helped each other out. Finally have power and water but still no cell service or wifi
ncsupack1
stuartmcarthur5 said:

It's utterly devastating to see all of this. We got very lucky and only have minor damage that we can see. Had 5 trees hit my house and we have about 15+ total down in the yard and woods. So glad we have such a good community and neighborhood that we helped each other out. Finally have power and water but still no cell service or wifi
Glad to hear you are okay, just remember lot of people are thinking about all of ya'll.
Ncsufist
hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

https://instagr.am/p/DAgT_q5vrav

Both Dems and Rino Republicans are to be condemned here.

America First
your problem is thinking the US government can help immediately l. It can't. It has been proven time and again. Neighbors, volunteers, friends. In times like these, that's who you have to rely on.

Mostly correct. The aviation brigades for 100 and worst and 82nd not to mention the rotary wings at lejeune could have been extremely useful those first days in performing sar like they did for Katrina. Ground wise while Bragg has an engineer brigade with bridge laying tracks… there are too many roads out for them to even make a dent.
Ncsufist
SmaptyWolf said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First
your problem is thinking the US government can help immediately l. It can't. It has been proven time and again. Neighbors, volunteers, friends. In times like these, that's who you have to rely on.
Apparently the right wing bullshi** machine is in high gear... it's NC in an election year after all!

But just to clear things up, the reason you haven't yet seen huge convoys of trucks rolling into Asheville isn't because the trucks aren't ready. They're ready. But they can't get in until the water recedes and the roads are passable, which will be soon.

The Army has been handling debris management and is gearing up to establish temporary power supplies near Asheville. FEMA is working with the Army Corps of Engineers to rebuild washed out roads and bridges and connect cut-off communities. They're also working with the US Department of Defense to set up air bridge locations to airlift supplies into storm damaged areas not accessible by roads. Initial staging has been set up at Ft. Liberty, and airplanes and helicopters will be used to bring supplies in by air. FEMA officials say supplies for those stranded in western NC have already been staged for delivery. According to the NC Department of Transportation, those supplies have begun to be airlifted into place.

So yeah, neighbors are vital in the first days, but within a week or so Asheville will be inundated with food, water, ice, blankets, tents, etc, etc.

And sorry, the idea that Asheville could pull itself up by it's bootstraps and handle a catastrophe like this by itself is stupid. As much as right wingers hate to admit it, this is exactly what makes having a federal government so important... not even the state government has the resources or capability to quickly handle this.

Correction. The aviation unit that would be used at Bragg…. Has been put on standby for. Iran.
ncsupack1
Can we try to keep this thread about the folks in western NC? Plenty of other threads to discuss policy and politics.
Werewolf
Werewolf
A new GoFundMe site if you can help Helene victims out financially.

ncsupack1
Werewolf said:

That's great.
DrummerboyWolf
Ncsufist said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

Mostly correct. The aviation brigades for 100 and worst and 82nd not to mention the rotary wings at lejeune could have been extremely useful those first days in performing sar like they did for Katrina. Ground wise while Bragg has an engineer brigade with bridge laying tracks… there are too many roads out for them to even make a dent.
Absolutely correct. Help should have been on the way from Lejeune, Bragg, Cherry Point, and MCAS New River immediately. No excuse for them not to be helping and they might have saved some lives. This administration hates Americans and anybody can plainly see it.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
SmaptyWolf
Werewolf said:

A new GoFundMe site if you can help Helene victims out financially.

Lol, of course. Trump has a 100% track record of stealing from his charities. You're better off taping a dollar to a pigeon and tossing it in the direction of western NC.
Oldsouljer
DrummerboyWolf said:

Ncsufist said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

Absolutely correct. Help should have been on the way from Lejeune, Bragg, Cherry Point, and MCAS New River immediately. No excuse for them not to be helping and they might have saved some lives. This administration hates Americans and anybody can plainly see it.
I get the delay from their perspective. Those western counties are negative electoral votes, without them, Harris might take NC. Forget about liberal Asheville, the population isn't large enough to worry about lost Dem votes from up there.
Werewolf
The upside-down flag means "In distress".
Werewolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

Ncsufist said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

Ncsufist
Oldsouljer said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Ncsufist said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

I get the delay from their perspective. Those western counties are negative electoral votes, without them, Harris might take NC. Forget about liberal Asheville, the population isn't large enough to worry about lost Dem votes from up there.

Buddy of mine said they got the warno. Put on standby. Prepped. And then hurry up and wait. Then new tasking came down. Standby for mid east
Werewolf

Werewolf

GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/DAmWn-0N9EW
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Werewolf
Werewolf
Ncsufist
Werewolf said:

Realistically it wouldn't have matter if dod had delayed their flights. All their equipment has been on a boat for at least a month.
Oldsouljer
Werewolf said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Ncsufist said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

When it comes to taxpayer dollars being wasted outside our borders, Tillis and Budd are complicit and I'd like these folks to remember that in 2026 and 2028. For GOP voters, there's no excuse for voting for Tillis when perfectly conservative alternatives to him were present in the last primary.
GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/DAnm-RqOZG4
smitt86
Werewolf said:

I've seen a few "reports" like this on twitter, of "thousands of dead bodies", "unbearable smells from all of the dead bodies", etc.. but I have yet to see ONE single shroud of evidence. I've talked to people in, and near, Asheville, and not a single one has mentioned any of that.

I can't imagine none of these rescuers, linemen, etc wouldn't take a picture to post and make folks aware of just how bad things are, because that would only put pressure on more aid/resources being sent to WNC. They may very well be accurate, and wouldn't be shocked if the media isn't reporting anything, but in this day and age with phones/video/social media, until I see some actual evidence, just going to treat it like more bot-farm rhetoric trying to drive division.
wolf howl
smitt86 said:

Werewolf said:

I've seen a few "reports" like this on twitter, of "thousands of dead bodies", "unbearable smells from all of the dead bodies", etc.. but I have yet to see ONE single shroud of evidence. I've talked to people in, and near, Asheville, and not a single one has mentioned any of that.

I can't imagine none of these rescuers, linemen, etc wouldn't take a picture to post and make folks aware of just how bad things are, because that would only put pressure on more aid/resources being sent to WNC. They may very well be accurate, and wouldn't be shocked if the media isn't reporting anything, but in this day and age with phones/video/social media, until I see some actual evidence, just going to treat it like more bot-farm rhetoric trying to drive division.
You can watch the death toll rise as they recover bodies to get I guess the evidence you need? If you're even CLOSE to being a decent human being you're not taking a picture of a dead body and posting on social media. Can't imagine a more sub-human thing to do tbh.

You reference Asheville but Asheville is not the only place impacted. There's entire communities that can't even be reached right now. Really wish the mainstream media would quit ONLY talking about Asheville, it's western NC impacted. Asheville is the regional hub so I understand why they focus there with media but it really minimizes the scale of what we're really talking about. I talked to someone in Chicago yesterday and they thought it was only Asheville impacted, had no idea it was the entirety of that side of the state.
smitt86
wolf howl said:

smitt86 said:

Werewolf said:

You can watch the death toll rise as they recover bodies to get I guess the evidence you need? If you're even CLOSE to being a decent human being you're not taking a picture of a dead body and posting on social media. Can't imagine a more sub-human thing to do tbh.

You reference Asheville but Asheville is not the only place impacted. There's entire communities that can't even be reached right now. Really wish the mainstream media would quit ONLY talking about Asheville, it's western NC impacted. Asheville is the regional hub so I understand why they focus there with media but it really minimizes the scale of what we're really talking about. I talked to someone in Chicago yesterday and they thought it was only Asheville impacted, had no idea it was the entirety of that side of the state.
I'm not claiming it's only Asheville, just that I only have folks I know that are in and around that area(and Boone), and just know what I've been told first-hand.

I just don't buy the "subhuman" stuff, if you saw "thousands" of dead bodies and claimed the smell in the air from all the dead bodies was "overwhelming", you'd photograph that. You don't zoom in one body, but you'd see landscapes of dead bodies, there were twitter accounts claiming it looked like "Gaza", and we have plenty of pictures/videos of dead bodies from that part of the world.

I just don't buy half of what I see on twitter anymore, which is sad but it's the reality of the internet. I do expect the death toll to continue to rise as they sort through more and more areas, I just question these "reports" on twitter that don't come with any evidence other than 2nd and 3rd hand information.

Also, why not take the pictures/video of the reported looting going on? I'm sure there have been some stores looted for supplies, but that post made it sound like a post-apocalyptic warzone where folks are just rolling through the streets like packs of "feral" dogs. We have plenty of footage of riots/looting all over the country.
DrummerboyWolf
Oldsouljer said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Ncsufist said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

Oh no doubt there is politics being played here. Most of the areas hit are "RED AREAS" in several different states. No need to worry about those "rednecks and Trumpists." " Screw them. Who cares that it's others Americans in trouble." They are laughing while they are thinking that. Those troops and helo's could have helped people but the Feds just don't care.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Civilized
DrummerboyWolf said:

Oldsouljer said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Ncsufist said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

Oh no doubt there is politics being played here. Most of the areas hit are "RED AREAS" in several different states. No need to worry about those "rednecks and Trumpists." " Screw them. Who cares that it's others Americans in trouble." They are laughing while they are thinking that. Those troops and helo's could have helped people but the Feds just don't care

Stop playing the whiney victim card.

Republican governors of these states would damn-sure care. They wouldn't stand idly and quitely by, being neglected while the Feds dropped the ball or worse, intentionally neglected red areas of the country for misguided political reasons.

Why are Republican governors of Florida, Georgia, and Virginia doing the exact opposite, and being quoted as clearly saying the Feds are giving them everything they're asking for?

ncsupack1
Well since politics has been brought in, why did Mark Robinson hold out?
When asked Tuesday why he didn't vote to approve the Helene declaration, Robinson's state office issued a statement that didn't address last week's vote. Krishana Polite, Robinson's chief of staff, said he's been traveling to some of the areas affected by the storm.
Ncsufist
ncsupack1 said:

When asked Tuesday why he didn't vote to approve the Helene declaration, Robinson's state office issued a statement that didn't address last week's vote. Krishana Polite, Robinson's chief of staff, said he's been traveling to some of the areas affected by the storm.

Huh? Why would our lt gov vote for any declaration? What am I missing?
ncsupack1
Ncsufist said:

ncsupack1 said:

Huh? Why would our lt gov vote for any declaration? What am I missing?

He needed approval from the other elected officials in North Carolina's executive branch, a group of nine known as the Council of State, to exercise certain authorities under the N.C. Emergency Management Act. Their blessing would enable the Democratic governor to more easily mobilize rescue vehicles, order evacuations and begin other emergency actions by waiving some of the state's transportation regulations for heavy vehicles.

This per a article. He being Cooper
wolf howl
smitt86 said:

wolf howl said:

smitt86 said:

Werewolf said:

I'm not claiming it's only Asheville, just that I only have folks I know that are in and around that area(and Boone), and just know what I've been told first-hand.

I just don't buy the "subhuman" stuff, if you saw "thousands" of dead bodies and claimed the smell in the air from all the dead bodies was "overwhelming", you'd photograph that. You don't zoom in one body, but you'd see landscapes of dead bodies, there were twitter accounts claiming it looked like "Gaza", and we have plenty of pictures/videos of dead bodies from that part of the world.

I just don't buy half of what I see on twitter anymore, which is sad but it's the reality of the internet. I do expect the death toll to continue to rise as they sort through more and more areas, I just question these "reports" on twitter that don't come with any evidence other than 2nd and 3rd hand information.

Also, why not take the pictures/video of the reported looting going on? I'm sure there have been some stores looted for supplies, but that post made it sound like a post-apocalyptic warzone where folks are just rolling through the streets like packs of "feral" dogs. We have plenty of footage of riots/looting all over the country.

You are different than me, that's for sure. You want pictures of dead bodies, I want to help. Enjoy life.
Werewolf
TIllis is a HUGE RINO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.