Western NC Flooding

6,837 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by packgrad
hokiewolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I pray for any of you that are in Western NC. The flooding is catastrophic. I have friends that I can't get in touch with at the moment.

This is a lot worse than people know because communication infrastructure is destroyed.
GuerrillaPack
This looks REALLY bad

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
erniencsu02
wow I use to go behind those buildings to drink my coffee from the coffee shop there, that where the creek is that is what flooded everything you see in the photo. Heartbreaking to see that. All those nice people and those businesses

erniencsu02
just seen more photos. Chimney Rock NC for all intents and purposes is no longer there. One of my favorite places in NC is just gone.
ncsupack1
My heart breaks for those who live up that way. Total destruction, going to take years to rebuild. Sad.
TheStorm
Chimney Rock / Lake Lure area used to be an easy trip for me when I lived out in Hickory and the kids were still growing up, probably been there 8 times over the years... he's wrong about the water going to the Cape Fear eventually though, you'd think him supposedly living in Asheville 7-8 years as he claimed in the video that he'd know his river systems a little better than that.

Hate seeing those pictures of US-64 in Chimney Rock.
Wlfpk81
i am in the wireless industry and i can tell you that we aren't even sure how to approach getting towers back up and running for folks in western nc. the amount of mud and debris left over is staggering.
ncsupack1
Wlfpk81 said:

i am in the wireless industry and i can tell you that we aren't even sure how to approach getting towers back up and running for folks in western nc. the amount of mud and debris left over is staggering.
Wow, that is terrible. What a mess.
WolfpackKaraoke
As someone who lived through similar levels of destruction and devastation in my hometown of Rocky Mount when Floyd hit in '99, and as someone who lived in Hendersonville and worked in Flat Rock and Asheville for 4.5 years before moving back home to Raleigh a few years ago, I am sick to my stomach to see the images coming out of those areas and learned tonight that a girl I went to high school with was killed in a mudslide in Boone yesterday.

I have talked with a friend of mine who is volunteering at a shelter in Hendersonville, NC and she gave a very specific list of items they are in need of that most don't think about when delivering relief supplies.

I will be personally going to Hendersonville on Wednesday to deliver as many items and supplies from that list that I can afford to buy. If anyone here is interested in supporting me in being able to help residents here who either have been flooded out or have lost their homes completely, I would be most grateful. Here are the much needed items I'll be purchasing between now and Wednesday morning:
-Adult cleansing wipes/disposable washcloths
-No rinse/waterless shower caps
-Prepasted disposable toothbrushes
-Deodorant
-Feminine products
-Diapers
-Baby food and formula
-Dog and cat food
-Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Benadryl

If you'd like to help me maximize the amount of these items I can purchase and will be personally delivering on Wednesday, you can do so by helping financially. For those able and willing, my Venmo account is @Amanda-Woolard-2 (https://venmo.com/u/Amanda-Woolard-2) and the last 4 digits of my cell phone number are 7038 should it prompt or ask you for it.

If you're reading this and know of others who are interested in helping, please, please pass this along to them and share with others. Thank you to everyone praying for those impacted in WNC and for anyone willing to help me make as big of a difference as possible when I go there Wednesday to deliver supplies.

Bas2020
GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/DAgT_q5vrav

Both Dems and Rino Republicans are to be condemned here.

America First
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
hokiewolf
hokiewolf
GuerrillaPack said:

America First
your problem is thinking the US government can help immediately l. It can't. It has been proven time and again. Neighbors, volunteers, friends. In times like these, that's who you have to rely on.
WolfpackKaraoke
You're exactly right about volunteers, neighbors, and friends being the biggest source of people you rely on when you're in the middle of something like this. It's why I'm trying to raise money (see post above) to take specific items a to Hendersonville on Wednesday that a friend volunteering at a local shelter there as said they need. Hendersonville was my home for 4.5 years so I gotta make the trip to support the community and people in need there.
GuerrillaPack
GuerrillaPack
hokiewolf said:

your problem is thinking the US government can help immediately l. It can't. It has been proven time and again. Neighbors, volunteers, friends. In times like these, that's who you have to rely on.
"my problem" lmao. Maybe you are the one who has some problems.

Of course I realize it takes a little time for the US Govt to allocate relief funds, etc. The point of the post is that our treasonous federal govt does more to "help" other nations than its own citizens.
TheStorm
Bas2020 said:

I guess whoever owns SpaceX leans Republican?
SmaptyWolf
hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First
Apparently the right wing bullshi** machine is in high gear... it's NC in an election year after all!

But just to clear things up, the reason you haven't yet seen huge convoys of trucks rolling into Asheville isn't because the trucks aren't ready. They're ready. But they can't get in until the water recedes and the roads are passable, which will be soon.

The Army has been handling debris management and is gearing up to establish temporary power supplies near Asheville. FEMA is working with the Army Corps of Engineers to rebuild washed out roads and bridges and connect cut-off communities. They're also working with the US Department of Defense to set up air bridge locations to airlift supplies into storm damaged areas not accessible by roads. Initial staging has been set up at Ft. Liberty, and airplanes and helicopters will be used to bring supplies in by air. FEMA officials say supplies for those stranded in western NC have already been staged for delivery. According to the NC Department of Transportation, those supplies have begun to be airlifted into place.

So yeah, neighbors are vital in the first days, but within a week or so Asheville will be inundated with food, water, ice, blankets, tents, etc, etc.

And sorry, the idea that Asheville could pull itself up by it's bootstraps and handle a catastrophe like this by itself is stupid. As much as right wingers hate to admit it, this is exactly what makes having a federal government so important... not even the state government has the resources or capability to quickly handle this.
GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/DAjF3dYNse7

Quote:

"$2.4 billion aid to Ukraine" vs "No more aid for Hurricane Helene" - 3 days apart
FlossyDFlynt
Went to Costco over my lunch break to get some stuff and it warmed my cold, dead heart to see how many people were getting stuff just to send to WNC
hokiewolf
Heard from a couple friends finally, one in Avery County and one in Jackson County. Both had to hike long distances just to send text messages
ncsupack1
Terrible situation.
Civilized
hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

And the feds are helping. Our family in Black Mountain said they've been seeing Chinooks and Black Hawks fly over since yesterday morning.

The mountains pose such a unique challenge relative to Katrina becuase of all the road and railroad infrastructure that's gone and the very heavily wooded and uneven terrain. Our neice and nephew are coming up to stay indefinitely and it took them 7 hours to drive what normally would have taken three becuase so many major roadways are impacted, which also impedes relief supplies getting in by truck.

It's crazy-town up there right now and is going to take a combined federal, state, local, volunteer, friend/family/neighbor effort to make large parts of WNC livable again.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

And the feds are helping. Our family in Black Mountain said they've been seeing Chinooks and Black Hawks fly over since yesterday morning.

The mountains pose such a unique challenge relative to Katrina becuase of all the road and railroad infrastructure that's gone and the very heavily wooded and uneven terrain. Our neice and nephew are coming up to stay indefinitely and it took them 7 hours to drive what normally would have taken three becuase so many major roadways are impacted, which also impedes relief supplies getting in by truck.

It's crazy-town up there right now and is going to take a combined federal, state, local, volunteer, friend/family/neighbor effort to make large parts of WNC livable again.
Agree, it's hard when entire infrastructure is gone. My heart goes out to those folks.
Werewolf
Packchem91
hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

There is some reprehensible human left wing garbage that is echoing the opposite version of GP right now and claiming this is a false flag action. Hollywood action.
Typing it out makes you realize just how horrendous that type of thought process is both ways
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Chimney Rock / Lake Lure area used to be an easy trip for me when I lived out in Hickory and the kids were still growing up, probably been there 8 times over the years... he's wrong about the water going to the Cape Fear eventually though, you'd think him supposedly living in Asheville 7-8 years as he claimed in the video that he'd know his river systems a little better than that.

Hate seeing those pictures of US-64 in Chimney Rock.

All those times driving thru various mountain communities and seeing the houses right along the rivers and creeks, often separated from the road by a small bridge. always looks kinda romantic as you drive by. I thought about the people in those houses when the videos started rolling in. You pray they were able to leave before it got bad
hokiewolf
Packchem91 said:

hokiewolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

America First

There is some reprehensible human left wing garbage that is echoing the opposite version of GP right now and claiming this is a false flag action. Hollywood action.
Typing it out makes you realize just how horrendous that type of thought process is both ways
were will have a new thread in the next week I'm sure.
ncsupack1
I really hope that this thread stays political free and focuses on the destruction of lives out west. There are plenty of other threads for politics.
Werewolf
Tommy Burleson interviewed by Fox Weather. Tommy resides in Avery County.
jkpackfan
ncsupack1 said:

I really hope that this thread stays political free and focuses on the destruction of lives out west. There are plenty of other threads for politics.
Yes please
erniencsu02
I'm not a very political person but I do think the president needs to address the nation on this. Bush did for Katrina and this is at least just as bad.
Werewolf
jkpackfan said:

ncsupack1 said:

Yes please
I'll do my part
Civilized
erniencsu02 said:

I'm not a very political person but I do think the president needs to address the nation on this. Bush did for Katrina and this is at least just as bad.

He did earlier today
DrummerboyWolf
Glenn Beck's disaster team, Mercury one, flew at least two loads of supplies into Asheville via helicopters yesterday. 100% of donations to mercuryone.org are used for the victims of the hurricane. They work with a lot of the churches and organizations like Samaritans purse who are on the ground.

He just had on a relative of Phil Robertson who lives in the Black Mountain area and he relayed that at his church, a farmer came up with one cow and said that is all he had to help. They slaughtered the cow and fed 1000 people he said. Website for his church is

www.swan.church

I donated to mercury one yesterday and if you have the means get involved with local charities that will help immediately and not wait on FEMA or the government.

www.mercuryone.org
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.