US Open -2024

6,905 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by jkpackfan
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf said:

Sheffler is so milquetoast that he got arrested because a cop didn't know who he was at one of the biggest tournaments of the year. Hell, if it weren't for him getting arrested, most non golf fans still would've never heard of him. Golf suffers from a severe lack of personality, and has since everyone decided that being surly like Tiger was the way to be great. Even though I don't like Bryson's personality at all, he at least has one. Regardless of what happens in the future, and regardless of how people feel about this guy or that guy or this tour or that tour, golf needs excitement to thrive. It needs rivalries and arguments and salty interviews, because otherwise, outside of a handful of tournaments, professional golf is boring as hell for a number of different reasons.
That's a fair take…
Packchem91
wilmwolf said:

Sheffler is so milquetoast that he got arrested because a cop didn't know who he was at one of the biggest tournaments of the year. Hell, if it weren't for him getting arrested, most non golf fans still would've never heard of him. Golf suffers from a severe lack of personality, and has since everyone decided that being surly like Tiger was the way to be great. Even though I don't like Bryson's personality at all, he at least has one. Regardless of what happens in the future, and regardless of how people feel about this guy or that guy or this tour or that tour, golf needs excitement to thrive. It needs rivalries and arguments and salty interviews, because otherwise, outside of a handful of tournaments, professional golf is boring as hell for a number of different reasons.

Part of the reason for the milquetoast personalities is, in general, the game is so mental, any guy who is hot and cold tends to not last long. Like anything, exceptions to the rule of course.
But I agree, having guys to pull against is part of the fun (see Ryder Cup). Amd the Brooks / BD controversy was funny til it became silly.

jkpackfan
Scheffler is the best player on the planet right now, I could care less if he's milquetoast or not…he's such a good dude.
Packchem91
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Scottie Scheffler is the most popular golfer right now (by far, and it's not even close).

He does not play for LIV.

Actually, I'd argue it is Tiger. He's just not around enough
C'mon, Chem... you know what I meant.
Storm, and you know what I mean when I say...arguably.

There were three guys that commanded a bunch of attention at the US Open, prior to tournament play...

Scotty
Bryson
Brooks

Tiger always, as Chem said, commands a different level of attention; however, he was almost invisible on non play days; whereas, the three above were rock stars.

And here is the problem. LIV has very little depth in talent, a major reason it's TV ratings are worse than just about anything on TV
It does have some really good players at the top, though frankly, many of them are not popular guys (I loved Cam Smith, but he's not a household name).

The PGAT has the depth. But week in, week out, it needs an uptick in the number of true top 20 guys. Rahm, BD, Koepka, amd Smith would be that. Dj seems washed up. The only value Reed has is to give everyone someone to hate.

I'm not a fan of many of the LIV guys, but I 100% hope their members try to come back to PGAT
Packchem91
jkpackfan said:

Scheffler is the best player on the planet right now, I could care less if he's milquetoast or not…he's such a good dude.

Exactly. Sadly, being a good dude doesn't sell real well sometimes.
Majors aside, this season is one of the best ever
wilmwolf
Yup, he's a great golfer and good guy. No disputing that.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
packgrad
Scheffler is the man. So good.

Bryson's social media has completely changed my opinion of him. I'm a fan now. Maybe Brooks was the DB in all of this in the beginning. Still a fan of his too though.

The most annoying guys to me right now are Rory (conveniently my wife loves him) and JT. Feel badly for Rory though. Don't want choking to be his legacy.
jkpackfan
Packchem91 said:

jkpackfan said:

Exactly. Sadly, being a good dude doesn't sell real well sometimes.
Majors aside, this season is one of the best ever
Sadly you are correct.

Best season since prime Tiger. If he's putting decent everyone else is playing for 2nd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.