Goldsboro Barbecue

6,774 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by waynecountywolf
910wolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
caryking said:

Well, with all their BBQ talk, I had to stop in somewhere to get some. So, I stopped into City BBQ, in Cary.

I really like the consistency of their BBQ; however, it didn't have a lot of flavor. Also, it was somewhat greasy. I had to use a ton of their sauce to enjoy it…

Hey, nonetheless, I had BBQ on my 56th birthday today…. My treat to me!

Best bbq in the Cary area is Big Mikes BBQ and Ole Time Barbecue IMO
SexualChocolate
caryking said:

Well, with all their BBQ talk, I had to stop in somewhere to get some. So, I stopped into City BBQ, in Cary.

I really like the consistency of their BBQ; however, it didn't have a lot of flavor. Also, it was somewhat greasy. I had to use a ton of their sauce to enjoy it…

Happy Birthday!
hokiewolf
caryking said:

1st happy birthday, 2nd always get the chicken at City BBQ.
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
Bell Tower Grey
caryking said:

Happy Birthday.

Never had City BBQ. Isn't that an Ohio based chain?

Any bbq that needs more than just a splash of sauce probably isn't fit to eat. Sounds like you found that out.

If I read into your post and you are in the Cary area, If you have time in the next few days, head to Redneck BBQ Lab or Stephenson's in Willow Spring. Or as another poster said, Big Mike's (I like the Apex location better). You're welcome.
Tootie4Pack
caryking said:

Happy 56th, you're getting close to my age (59). The smoked Turkey at City BBQ is great. You don't need any sauce, it is delicious when served.

As BTG mentioned , Stephenson's on Hwy 50 South of Garner is also outstanding. Cooked over charcoal. Their sides are great too. And if you like chicken-n-dumplings or pastry or stewed chicken and pastry , whatever you call it , Stephenson's is also great. They cook the entire chicken and bones.
Bell Tower Grey
I recently turned 63, and have eaten more than my fair share of bbq since I learned what it was at the tender, young age of 4. They also started feeding me collards about that time, and I grew to enjoy them as much as I do good pork bbq.

To date, some of the best collards I've eaten at a bbq place came from Redneck BBQ Lab. They, alone, are worth a visit there.

However, if you go, you must try the Fat Redneck Sandwich. It has bbq, beef brisket and collards piled high atop a big bun. Those collards are seasoned just right, with a pepper vinegar that works well with the bbq and the brisket. I can't eat like I used to be able to so I just cut it in half and make 2 meals from it. You will not regret getting it if you are a collards fan.
caryking
All, thanks for the birthday wishes…

Stephenson''s, I've had it before and thought it was good; however, redneck BBQ was just in another league!

I'll still say it: Allen and Sons was my favorite BBQ around. Being that they are out of business, I just go to Smithfield's.. I'm not a collards eater and would rather have a good Brunswick Stew. In fact, my father used to make the best Brunswick's Stew around. He made it by taste (no recipe) and it was a favorite among family and friends.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
packwest
Bell Tower Grey said:

I recently turned 63, and have eaten more than my fair share of bbq since I learned what it was at the tender, young age of 4. They also started feeding me collards about that time, and I grew to enjoy them as much as I do good pork bbq.

To date, some of the best collards I've eaten at a bbq place came from Redneck BBQ Lab. They, alone, are worth a visit there.

However, if you go, you must try the Fat Redneck Sandwich. It has bbq, beef brisket and collards piled high atop a big bun. Those collards are seasoned just right, with a pepper vinegar that works well with the bbq and the brisket. I can't eat like I used to be able to so I just cut it in half and make 2 meals from it. You will not regret getting it if you are a collards fan.
Can't believe we had a post about Redneck BBQ lab without mentioning the burnt ends...

Great spot. Love going there every chance I get.
TopsailWolf
Those burnt ends are truth.
Tootie4Pack
Hey, if you want some outstanding Church BBQ tomorrow , the Hollands Methodist Church just south of Garner on Ten Ten Road is having their Spring BBQ.

The Q is outstanding , large chunks of perfectly seasoned pork. And the bbq potatoes and slaw and puppies also delicious. And nothing but home made desserts from the church members.

Just wanted to pass this along. They usually sell out in the early evening so if you want to go I'll be there before 6 PM. I'll have my guys out there about 11:15am tomorrow picking up our stuff.
ushum
Any of y'all ever been to Marty's in Wilson? Pretty good small spot
SexualChocolate
Tootie4Pack said:

Hey, if you want some outstanding Church BBQ tomorrow , the Hollands Methodist Church just south of Garner on Ten Ten Road is having their Spring BBQ.

The Q is outstanding , large chunks of perfectly seasoned pork. And the bbq potatoes and slaw and puppies also delicious. And nothing but home made desserts from the church members.

Just wanted to pass this along. They usually sell out in the early evening so if you want to go I'll be there before 6 PM. I'll have my guys out there about 11:15am tomorrow picking up our stuff.

I used to take off for work every year to go to this and you are correct, great Que.
TheStorm
I drove round trip yesterday from Pender County to Williamston yesterday on US Highway 17, and kept wondering if I was relatively close to some legendary ENC cue anywhere along the way... just had a feeling that I had a great opportunity that I was missing out on due to my lack of local knowledge.

Did pass a place somewhere close to Vanceboro or so named Buddy's, but I couldn't remember if it had ever been mentioned here - so I didn't stop.
Bell Tower Grey
ushum said:

Marty's is good. They have overcome some adversity since they opened. Larry Ellis is the son of Bill Ellis (Bill's BBQ), and Marty is the namesake of the bbq joint. Marty died several years ago, and Larry named the place in his honor.

Sometime last year, Larry died, leaving the place to his wife & children and a business partner. Between that and the covid mess, they have managed to stay afloat. Business seems to be good for them, as it has been since the beginning.

The food is very good. I think they have the best bbq in Wilson. Their fried oysters are as good as you'll find anywhere, too.

Nice to support a local, hard working family. They deserve it.
ushum
Bell Tower Grey said:

ushum said:

Marty's is good. They have overcome some adversity since they opened. Larry Ellis is the son of Bill Ellis (Bill's BBQ), and Marty is the namesake of the bbq joint. Marty died several years ago, and Larry named the place in his honor.

Sometime last year, Larry died, leaving the place to his wife & children and a business partner. Between that and the covid mess, they have managed to stay afloat. Business seems to be good for them, as it has been since the beginning.

The food is very good. I think they have the best bbq in Wilson. Their fried oysters are as good as you'll find anywhere, too.

Nice to support a local, hard working family. They deserve it.

Thanks for sharing, I did not know the background. I'll have to stop there more often when I'm in Wilson.
caryking
I'm going to be heading to Pine Knoll Shores soon and will be spending most of the summer there. I know of two BBQ places in Morehead (Smithfield's and Moores); however, are there any other good places in the area?

Joe Biden
SexualChocolate
caryking said:

I'm going to be heading to Pine Knoll Shores soon and will be spending most of the summer there. I know of two BBQ places in Morehead (Smithfield's and Moores); however, are there any other good places in the area?

You have to try Shepards. Brandon is a great guy and I like the sandwich choices. He does it all and I encourage you to check them out. The whole pig contest in Newport is this weekend.
wolfman18
Fat Fellas in Newport is decent....family owned business.

I've had people tell me Shepard bbq in Emerald Isle is good, but i dont think it's ENC BBQ. More smoked meats and that sort of thing
Bell Tower Grey
caryking said:

Big Oak BBQ

http://www.bigoakdrivein.com/
TheStorm
TheStorm said:

I drove round trip yesterday from Pender County to Williamston yesterday on US Highway 17, and kept wondering if I was relatively close to some legendary ENC cue anywhere along the way... just had a feeling that I had a great opportunity that I was missing out on due to my lack of local knowledge.

Did pass a place somewhere close to Vanceboro or so named Buddy's, but I couldn't remember if it had ever been mentioned here - so I didn't stop.
Learned this afternoon that I'm going to be making this trip on a fairly regular basis (every other week or so) for the next 6 to 12 months, so any of you boys that are from anywhere around US17 in ENC and / or drive to EI from Raleigh, please let me know if there is a 10-15 mile detour that I need to know about that would allow me to score some iconic ENC cue.
caryking
Bell Tower Grey said:

caryking said:

Big Oak BBQ

BTG, Big Oak? Really? I normally get their Shrimp, Flounder sandwiches…

Joe Biden
caryking
SexualChocolate said:

caryking said:

You have to try Shepards. Brandon is a great guy and I like the sandwich choices. He does it all and I encourage you to check them out. The whole pig contest in Newport is this weekend.
Shepard's looks pretty good.

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
caryking said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

caryking said:

Big Oak BBQ

Yes, the bbq. May be the best on the island. Pair it with a shrimp burger and some fries. The bbq may not need sauce because whatever they season it with is perfect. "BBQ" is not on that sign just for looks.

We eat there every time we are in the area.

You're welcome.
caryking
Bell Tower Grey said:

caryking said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

caryking said:

Big Oak BBQ

Yes, the bbq. May be the best on the island. Pair it with a shrimp burger and some fries. The bbq may not need sauce because whatever they season it with is perfect. "BBQ" is not on that sign just for looks.

We eat there every time we are in the area.

You're welcome.
Hey, I'm going to try it. I like a good BBQ sandwich as much as anybody.

Joe Biden
Tootie4Pack
TheStorm said:

TheStorm said:

Learned this afternoon that I'm going to be making this trip on a fairly regular basis (every other week or so) for the next 6 to 12 months, so any of you boys that are from anywhere around US17 in ENC and / or drive to EI from Raleigh, please let me know if there is a 10-15 mile detour that I need to know about that would allow me to score some iconic ENC cue.

Storm there are several places to try. There are 2 of the best ENC Q places in Ayden. Now Ayden is about 25 miles from Vanceboro, but if you want to try 2 of the very best that both cook over wood, I would highly recommend both Skylight Inn ( Sam Jones place, founded by his Grandfather) and Bum's, operated by the Bum Latham family. Both are great !

Skylight has a simple menu. Sm/Med/Lg of Q, slaw & corn bread. Outstanding …..they add some of the crackling into the Q for a crunch in the Q.

Bum's is probably the best Smokey tasting Q in the State. He leaves just a little fat on the Q, and this becomes dark little streaks In the Q. Simply great tasting Q. They have the biggest selection of sides of any Q place in the ENC. They grow their own greens, cabbage, collards. The Brunswick stew is delicious. They also serve corn bread. No hush puppies served in Ayden.

A little more out of your way, but I believe you will be glad you try both places. One word of advice. If you are not familiar with the crackling being in the Q at Skylight, then make sure to eat it while at Skylight. If you aren't used to it, if you buy a pound and reheat it, you might think that the crackling is a bit chewy. Just some advice as I have brought Q back to folks in Garner and if they have not had it before , the crunch in the Q may seem unusual. It is delicious when served at Skylight. Just from previous experience. I hope you take the time to try them out.
Tootie4Pack
In Williamston, Shaws BBQ House has been around for decades. It has been a while since I ate there , but I remember it being pretty good. These is a newer place in Williamston called Porky's. I listen to local radio as I drive in the area and this place has gotten good feedback. I've have not eaten there. Just some FYI. Let me know if you try them out.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

caryking said:

Big Oak BBQ

Rolland's BBQ in Beaufort is pretty good.

BTG is right, Big Oak is good. We enjoy their shrimp burgers, although our favorite shrimp burger is at El's in Morehead City.
SexualChocolate
I know this is about Q but I like the Shrimp Burger from Captains food truck in Salter Path.
TheStorm
Tootie4Pack said:

TheStorm said:

TheStorm said:

Storm there are several places to try. There are 2 of the best ENC Q places in Ayden. Now Ayden is about 25 miles from Vanceboro, but if you want to try 2 of the very best that both cook over wood, I would highly recommend both Skylight Inn ( Sam Jones place, founded by his Grandfather) and Bum's, operated by the Bum Latham family. Both are great !

Skylight has a simple menu. Sm/Med/Lg of Q, slaw & corn bread. Outstanding …..they add some of the crackling into the Q for a crunch in the Q.

Bum's is probably the best Smokey tasting Q in the State. He leaves just a little fat on the Q, and this becomes dark little streaks In the Q. Simply great tasting Q. They have the biggest selection of sides of any Q place in the ENC. They grow their own greens, cabbage, collards. The Brunswick stew is delicious. They also serve corn bread. No hush puppies served in Ayden.

A little more out of your way, but I believe you will be glad you try both places. One word of advice. If you are not familiar with the crackling being in the Q at Skylight, then make sure to eat it while at Skylight. If you aren't used to it, if you buy a pound and reheat it, you might think that the crackling is a bit chewy. Just some advice as I have brought Q back to folks in Garner and if they have not had it before , the crunch in the Q may seem unusual. It is delicious when served at Skylight. Just from previous experience. I hope you take the time to try them out.
Thanks for this. Adds more time to my trip than I would ideally like, but it sounds like a "must"... so I'm going to have to work that detour into things at least once.

Was hoping that someone was going to throw out a spot near Little Washington or New Bern that was a little closer to my route on 17.
TheStorm
Tootie4Pack said:

In Williamston, Shaws BBQ House has been around for decades. It has been a while since I ate there , but I remember it being pretty good. These is a newer place in Williamston called Porky's. I listen to local radio as I drive in the area and this place has gotten good feedback. I've have not eaten there. Just some FYI. Let me know if you try them out.
Perfect Tootie. Thank you.
barnburner
Bell Tower Grey said:

Big Oak BBQ

my usual is a small shrimp burger all the way and a small BBQ sammy.. Much better than you would expect
FlossyDFlynt
Tried City BBQ on Lake Boone for lunch today. It was pretty good, but you could definitely tell its a chain. Reminded me a lot of Mission BBQ
caryking
SexualChocolate said:

I know this is about Q but I like the Shrimp Burger from Captains food truck in Salter Path.
Is the food truck that's related to Beach's Burgers?

Joe Biden
SexualChocolate
caryking said:

SexualChocolate said:

Cary, I'm not sure but the shrimp burgers are gigantic. They are actually called Captains Kitchen and are in the parking lot of Island Encore Consignment Shop.
Mtn Cur
SexualChocolate said:

caryking said:

SexualChocolate said:

Cary, I'm not sure but the shrimp burgers are gigantic. They are actually called Captains Kitchen and are in the parking lot of Island Encore Consignment Shop.

The Captain's Kitchen is a stand alone seafood truck owned by Captain Marty Muns. They rotate between Indian Beach and EI. Marty is a friend and is a hell of a good guy. Do yourself a favor and try the soft shell crab burger when it's in season. Pure heaven
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.