Goldsboro Barbecue

6,721 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by waynecountywolf
82TxPackFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

caryking said:

I'm going to be heading to Pine Knoll Shores soon and will be spending most of the summer there. I know of two BBQ places in Morehead (Smithfield's and Moores); however, are there any other good places in the area?
Big Oak BBQ

http://www.bigoakdrivein.com/

Rolland's BBQ in Beaufort is pretty good.

BTG is right, Big Oak is good. We enjoy their shrimp burgers, although our favorite shrimp burger is at El's in Morehead City.

Second Rolands. Also have really good collards, potato salad, & banana pudding!
PoleD
packwest said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I recently turned 63, and have eaten more than my fair share of bbq since I learned what it was at the tender, young age of 4. They also started feeding me collards about that time, and I grew to enjoy them as much as I do good pork bbq.

To date, some of the best collards I've eaten at a bbq place came from Redneck BBQ Lab. They, alone, are worth a visit there.

However, if you go, you must try the Fat Redneck Sandwich. It has bbq, beef brisket and collards piled high atop a big bun. Those collards are seasoned just right, with a pepper vinegar that works well with the bbq and the brisket. I can't eat like I used to be able to so I just cut it in half and make 2 meals from it. You will not regret getting it if you are a collards fan.
Can't believe we had a post about Redneck BBQ lab without mentioning the burnt ends...

Great spot. Love going there every chance I get.

I'll just add that I know the owner, Jerry Stephenson, from bbq competitions. He and his sister are even better people than their bbq is good.
PoleD
caryking said:

Who in the Triangle is doing wood cooked bbq?
pretty sure backyard bbq does.
SexualChocolate
PoleD said:

caryking said:

Who in the Triangle is doing wood cooked bbq?
pretty sure backyard bbq does.

Prime BBQ in Knightdale is fantastic and uses wood.
TheStorm
I need some feedback on a "Smoky Tony's" that ended up down here on the coast 2-3 years ago and supposedly was operating in Wake Forest prior to that... I'm hearing a lot of good comments about the pulled pork and wondered if anybody up that way has any past experience with any of their food.
barnburner
wood - Sam Jones, The Pit, Picnic, Lawrence BBQ, Prime... others?
Tootie4Pack
barnburner said:

Stephenson's just south of Garner uses charcoal. And it is great tasting Q. As are their sides and desserts.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

barnburner said:

Stephenson's just south of Garner uses charcoal. And it is great tasting Q. As are their sides and desserts.
Stephenson's and Wilber's were our "go to" places when I was growing up. One trip to one, next time to the other. To me, Stephenson's is an under-rated place....kinda like the Norm Sloan of bbq - always consistently good but not lauded for their efforts and achievements.
Tootie4Pack
Yes sir. It is always delicious when we get it, and has been over the past 30 years or so. And I love the fact that they have a little sweet pickle chopped up in their slaw. Their tangy BBQ sauce and that little sweet taste in the slaw is a great combination. ( Grady's in Dudley does the same ).

Their collards are delicious, as is the chicken and dumplings / chicken pastry.....whatever you may call it.
TopsailWolf
In holly ridge? Haven't had the bbq but the breakfast burritos are damn good
DrummerboyWolf
My wife did stop by the Redneck BBQ Lab on her way back from Jacksonville. The BBQ was decent and she also got some of the burnt ends, which were good.

Still have not been able to get back to Wilber's since they have reopened. We tried on the day of the Clemson game as were coming back from the Cherry Point air show, but we got there at 7:03 and the lady told us they were closed at 7. We only wanted take out anyway, but it kind of put us off a little. What they used to make in the 70's and 80's always fit my pallet best of any of the BBQ I have tried. Hopefully it's now back like it was.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
caryking
Went by the Smithfield's in Morehead City on Sunday. Got a BBQ sandwich and some hush puppies. Still, you just can't beat the consistency of those places…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Tootie4Pack
And it's usually a loaded sandwich , lots of Q and slaw ( if you add that). And their puppies are usually pretty good too.
Bell Tower Grey
Yeah, it's solid for a chain. I think their chicken is breaded with, and their hush puppies are made from, House-Autry products. Not bad grub if you're in a hurry and want bbq.
Tootie4Pack
My 83 yo Father enjoys their food. He especially loves me getting him the Bruswick Stew....they still have that as a BOGO here in Garner. I get him the 2 brunswick stews and 2 dozen puppies. He is a happy camper and makes about 3 -4 meals out of that.

He also loves the brunswick stew from Parker's and Marty's BBQ.
caryking
Tootie4Pack said:

My 83 yo Father enjoys their food. He especially loves me getting him the Bruswick Stew....they still have that as a BOGO here in Garner. I get him the 2 brunswick stews and 2 dozen puppies. He is a happy camper and makes about 3 -4 meals out of that.

He also loves the brunswick stew from Parker's and Marty's BBQ.
I really like their Brunswick Stew. To me, it the best outside of what father used to make. I sure miss his Brunswick Stew!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Bell Tower Grey
I had to make an unexpected, and quick, trip to Greensboro this morning. I'm partial to vinegar / eastern nc bbq, but I drove through Stamey's for a sandwich, some hush puppies and sweet tea, to eat on the way back home. Haven't had Stamey's in probably 5 years, maybe longer. I prayed for forgiveness before I ate it, lol.

The sandwich was actually very good. Lightly sauced, without slaw. Nice chop, not overly so. By the time I had a couple of bites left, the bun was a little soggy, but it got the job done. Their hush puppies are always on point - they would serve well on any type restaurant's menu. Crunchy, done through with a hint of onion. The tea tasted old, which was surprising because it's normally good.

Overall, a good meal though. The older I get the more I tend to appreciate all good food regardless of where it comes from. I'd stop again.
Tootie4Pack
BTG, when me and my buddy went to the WBB ACC tourney in Greensboro, one of his request was that we eat at Stamey,s. We did after the Saturday games, and I also got a sandwichwich with slaw and a side of brunswick stew and puppies. Mighty good. First time that I had eaten at Stamey's in about 10 years or so.

And we got dessert at Maxy B's in Greensboro. If you've never been to Maxy B's bakery and dessert cafe, please give it a try. Incredible cakes and pies and other sweet treats. Learned about this when our oldest daughter went to college at UNG-G.
Bell Tower Grey
Never had Maxy B's, but thank you for the recommendation! Will definitely give it a try next time we're in the area.
waynecountywolf
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

caryking said:

I'm going to be heading to Pine Knoll Shores soon and will be spending most of the summer there. I know of two BBQ places in Morehead (Smithfield's and Moores); however, are there any other good places in the area?
Big Oak BBQ

http://www.bigoakdrivein.com/

Rolland's BBQ in Beaufort is pretty good.

BTG is right, Big Oak is good. We enjoy their shrimp burgers, although our favorite shrimp burger is at El's in Morehead City.
Rolands is closing and Redneck BBQ Lab will take its place
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
waynecountywolf
TheStorm said:

Tootie4Pack said:

TheStorm said:

TheStorm said:

I drove round trip yesterday from Pender County to Williamston yesterday on US Highway 17, and kept wondering if I was relatively close to some legendary ENC cue anywhere along the way... just had a feeling that I had a great opportunity that I was missing out on due to my lack of local knowledge.

Did pass a place somewhere close to Vanceboro or so named Buddy's, but I couldn't remember if it had ever been mentioned here - so I didn't stop.
Learned this afternoon that I'm going to be making this trip on a fairly regular basis (every other week or so) for the next 6 to 12 months, so any of you boys that are from anywhere around US17 in ENC and / or drive to EI from Raleigh, please let me know if there is a 10-15 mile detour that I need to know about that would allow me to score some iconic ENC cue.

Storm there are several places to try. There are 2 of the best ENC Q places in Ayden. Now Ayden is about 25 miles from Vanceboro, but if you want to try 2 of the very best that both cook over wood, I would highly recommend both Skylight Inn ( Sam Jones place, founded by his Grandfather) and Bum's, operated by the Bum Latham family. Both are great !

Skylight has a simple menu. Sm/Med/Lg of Q, slaw & corn bread. Outstanding …..they add some of the crackling into the Q for a crunch in the Q.

Bum's is probably the best Smokey tasting Q in the State. He leaves just a little fat on the Q, and this becomes dark little streaks In the Q. Simply great tasting Q. They have the biggest selection of sides of any Q place in the ENC. They grow their own greens, cabbage, collards. The Brunswick stew is delicious. They also serve corn bread. No hush puppies served in Ayden.

A little more out of your way, but I believe you will be glad you try both places. One word of advice. If you are not familiar with the crackling being in the Q at Skylight, then make sure to eat it while at Skylight. If you aren't used to it, if you buy a pound and reheat it, you might think that the crackling is a bit chewy. Just some advice as I have brought Q back to folks in Garner and if they have not had it before , the crunch in the Q may seem unusual. It is delicious when served at Skylight. Just from previous experience. I hope you take the time to try them out.
Thanks for this. Adds more time to my trip than I would ideally like, but it sounds like a "must"... so I'm going to have to work that detour into things at least once.

Was hoping that someone was going to throw out a spot near Little Washington or New Bern that was a little closer to my route on 17.
Moore's in New Bern Hwy 17 near Harris Teeter
I am just here for the conspiracy theories

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.