girls/women's sports and transgender athletes

8,182 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cowboypack02
cowboypack02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

The fighting ones are brutal.
I try not to watch those videos if they pop up. Its like watching Jurassic Park when the T-Rex is about to eat the guy sitting on the can.....you know what's gonna happen

There is a English comedian who videoed himself working out one time making fun of the whole thing. At the beginning of the video he said that he was self identifying as a woman and then goes on to break about 6-7 women's records in weightlifting in England. Its pretty funny
Civilized
packgrad said:

We don't need nuance for children's sports. Trans "children", as ridiculous as it is and how extremely evident of mental disorder for the child AND the parents it is, they can play with whomever they want. Adolescent up, there is no nuance needed. Boys. Girls. Other.

Why are you quoting "children" like trans kids are not really children?

I'd rail against your insinuation that trans kids and their parents must be disordered but it's not surprising. To be clear, it's not true, but it's also unsurprising that you've got it backwards.

Any condition that correlates with lack of social acceptance, discrimination, and violent assault will lead to anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts at higher rates than those unaffected with the condition.

Some people thought gay people were disordered too (some likely still do, just in far smaller numbers) decades ago but now very few people do. Also, with more gay people that are out, far more of us have openly gay friends or family. It's easy to stigmatize "the others" when it's an abstract concept; way harder when your sister or cousin or family friend that you know and love is gay or trans.

The same societal evolution will occur with trans people, fortunately, it will just take protection and a real reduction in social stigmatization.
packgrad
Because children aren't transgender unless their parents are nutcases. Not surprised you think it's not a mental disorder. What are your thoughts on pedophiles?
caryking
Civilized said:

pineknollshoresking said:

Civilized said:

BBW12OG said:

Party of Science..........

Sex ambiguity abounds in mammals so yeah, I think science is on the side of the trans community.

Biology dictates XX or XY, XX's that produce sperm, XY's with ovaries, XXY, XYY, Y, X, XX with translocation, or XY with deletion or Androgen Insensitivity. None of that has anything to do with "identity" and it is very clearly a spectrum, not binary male or female. We create the problem by trying to divide up a wide and varied spectrum into either/or for convenience. So yeah, science.

I do not know how to adjudicate trans women playing sports. It's messy.

Fortunately the issue impacts less than 1/10th of 1% of athletes. It's a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction.

We put Americans on the moon over 50 years ago. I'm confident we can figure this out.

That's some sick thinking right there...

What's sick? Biology? Moon landings?
I think it must be your thinking...
Misterree
My daughter plays basketball (9th grade). She is playing in a coed 3v3 (due to her HS cancelling the season) league and has lost every game. Her team of girls is generally more skilled than the boys but the boys are so much bigger faster and stronger they just over power the girls. It is not fair for boys to play with girls and if allowed it will just be another men's game as they will take over. I would not be surprised to see UNC do this first to allow them to win.

BTW, this idiocy is why I am glad I do not pay attention to politics any longer. It is mind boggling this is even a thing. How women can support a party that pushes this shows the lack of individual thinking involved in politics today.
packgrad
Oh common sense is out the window. Transgenders check more marks on the woke victim scorecard than women do. That is why the conversation goes the way it goes. Just ridiculous.
cowboypack02
Misterree said:

My daughter plays basketball (9th grade). She is playing in a coed 3v3 (due to her HS cancelling the season) league and has lost every game. Her team of girls is generally more skilled than the boys but the boys are so much bigger faster and stronger they just over power the girls. It is not fair for boys to play with girls and if allowed it will just be another men's game as they will take over. I would not be surprised to see UNC do this first to allow them to win.

BTW, this idiocy is why I am glad I do not pay attention to politics any longer. It is mind boggling this is even a thing. How women can support a party that pushes this shows the lack of individual thinking involved in politics today.
I played co-ed slow pitch softball right after college where there were 10 people on the field, with 4 of them having to be women. What typically happened was that the women were put at catcher, the 4th outfielder, and typically pitcher if there was one on the team that could get the ball across the plate.

What you saw was a few teams that had to put 5-6 women on the field because they couldn't field a full team without doing it get absolutely dominated by the teams with more men.
Mormad
As the father of a D1 female athlete, i am completely against this, as is she.

Mormad
There is, in my mind, no rational comparison between an XY or XXY with hypogonadism and a biological XY male whose body was exposed to testosterone during development and growth who then decided to alter that exposure.
Civilized
Mormad said:

There is, in my mind, no rational comparison between an XY or XXY with hypogonadism and a biological XY male whose body was exposed to testosterone during development and growth who then decided to alter that exposure.

I haven't dived into the biology and regardless am a complete amateur at it unlike you but there are also increasing rates of puberty suppression therapy for trans girls that come out early. That's a whole other wrinkle; what to do if their bodies had their T modulated during puberty so they were exposed to similar amounts as XX females.

Many/most/maybe all of us are in agreement that it's not competitively equitable for trans women that transition post-puberty to compete against XX women in elite sports.
IseWolf22
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

I haven't dived into the biology and regardless am a complete amateur at it unlike you but there are also increasing rates of puberty suppression therapy for trans girls that come out early. That's a whole other wrinkle; what to do if their bodies had their T modulated during puberty so they were exposed to similar amounts as XX females.

Many/most/maybe all of us are in agreement that it's not competitively equitable for trans women that transition post-puberty to compete against XX women in elite sports.

There are no hormonal treatments currently available that would erase XY advantage, even if take before puberty.

And even if it was possible, it presents another ethical dilemma as some of the hormone treatments result in irreversible changes and permanent sterilization. Some trans people do transition back to their birth gender as an adult. If they've already undergone significant hormone therapy, they may never be able to achieve "normal" again.
Mormad
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

I feel like I'm an amateur at this particular topic, too, my friend.
WPNfamily
This XY, XX, XXY, super bowl numbers, YYX.... etc is confusing. What happened when stuff was easy. Ya had a ding dong and you were a boy. Ya had a whooha and ya were a girl. Man we make everything so damn hard these days. Anyone wish we could head back to 80's and 90's? Hell even the Braves were good back then. Sign me up!
cowboypack02
WPNfamily said:

This XY, XX, XXY, super bowl numbers, YYX.... etc is confusing. What happened when stuff was easy. Ya had a ding dong and you were a boy. Ya had a whooha and ya were a girl. Man we make everything so damn hard these days. Anyone wish we could head back to 80's and 90's? Hell even the Braves were good back then. Sign me up!

That's always my thought.

If you don't know what you are look down....if you see something hanging you a guy and if you don't your a girl....and if you see your belly and can't tell for sure you need to lose some weight
caryking
I think these moves are actually good, in a bizarre way. I think if we see boys starting to take over women's sports, then enough pushback will happen that pendulum will swing back to normal.

Now, unfortunately, we are going to see some girls and families take it on the chin; so, I ask...

• Who is going to be the one that stands in courage and accept this and allow for a long reverse of this craziness?
  • Who is going the one that fights this now?

It will change with courage...
tuffy1006
I personally dont see how a transgender person is any different from a white person trying to be black like that Rachel Doezel lady. Yet she is absolutely ridiculed and transgenders are labelled brave. I just dont understand it.

and this sports thing is f'ing crazy. Even some gay people think it is. Martina Navratalova or however u spell it thinks its nuts....although she wont fully say it, because she is afraid of getting ridiculed.
Tootie4Pack
Remember a few years back , there were some female Olympic athletes from East Germany and China that dominated their sports ( I believe that swimming was one of the sports ) and after an investigation that they used illegal drugs and had higher than normal levels of testosterone, their medals were stripped from these illegal winners ?

So an investigation bans the use of these methods of cheating. But it now seems that the same event may occur in the near future, at the Olympics or at another sporting event.

Maybe the only way to get everyone's attention is to have a transgender athlete dominate a sport, and then maybe people will have to sit down and re-evaluate what may or may not be allowed in regards to transgender athletes.

Swimming, tennis, soccer, track and field, basketball ? Who knows what sport, but it will happen one day.
packgrad
Titania is a great follow on Twitter.

packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

Mormad said:

And even if it was possible, it presents another ethical dilemma as some of the hormone treatments result in irreversible changes and permanent sterilization. Some trans people do transition back to their birth gender as an adult. If they've already undergone significant hormone therapy, they may never be able to achieve "normal" again.

These parents that co-sign this would be the nutcases I mentioned earlier. They should be arrested for child abuse.
Misterree
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

That is child abuse to suppress their growth like that. The fact anyone would consider it is horrid beyond belief.
Civilized
Misterree said:

Civilized said:

Mormad said:

That is child abuse to suppress their growth like that. The fact anyone would consider it is horrid beyond belief.

The medical community disagrees with you.

Navigating your child's extreme mental distress including having persistent suicidal ideations because they feel like they were assigned the wrong sex at birth would also be horrid.

What you're picking up on is that this is a very heavy topic and one with no easy answers and significant, sometimes irreversible treatments. People don't transition for ****s and giggles and it's never done without heavy involvement and guidance of medical doctors and mental health professionals.

Gender nonconformities don't always lead to transitions either, if they're not causing distress.

My elementary school kid has had a buddy in their class since kindergarten that's gender nonconforming (no transition yet, if ever). This kid is a sweet and happy and well-adjusted kid with two smart as a whip (binary) older siblings and a parent with an advanced science degree from State. This kid tags along to State games with us. From the time they were very young, they wanted to dress like the other gender (they're opposite gender from my kid), be called the other gender equivalent of their name (they have a name that makes this easy), play in ways that the other gender stereotypically does, etc. This kid said over the summer that they didn't want to be called the pronouns used for their birth gender. That was the most explicit indication to date that they're really processing through their identity and how the world sees them; their previous dress, play, name, etc. felt more carefree and whimsical and untethered from the outside world's perception of them.

There is a whole range of desired journey destinations for nonconforming or trans people. It's complicated stuff.
BBW12OG
packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

Mormad said:

These parents that co-sign this would be the nutcases I mentioned earlier. They should be arrested for child abuse.
But how would they get the attention they want from their "woke" friends as being the most progressive liberal thinkers?

Sorry... I'm not buying any of the liberal mindset. Even to the libs on this site. Do any of you people actually believe the nonsense the left spouts and endorses? If so God help you. You damn sure need it.
Misterree
Civilized said:

Misterree said:

Civilized said:

Mormad said:

The medical community disagrees with you.

Navigating your child's extreme mental distress including having persistent suicidal ideations because they feel like they were assigned the wrong sex at birth would also be horrid.

What you're picking up on is that this is a very heavy topic and one with no easy answers and significant, sometimes irreversible treatments. People don't transition for ****s and giggles and it's never done without heavy involvement and guidance of medical doctors and mental health professionals.

Gender nonconformities don't always lead to transitions either, if they're not causing distress.

My elementary school kid has had a buddy in their class since kindergarten that's gender nonconforming (no transition yet, if ever). This kid is a sweet and happy and well-adjusted kid with two smart as a whip (binary) older siblings and a parent with an advanced science degree from State. This kid tags along to State games with us. From the time they were very young, they wanted to dress like the other gender (they're opposite gender from my kid), be called the other gender equivalent of their name (they have a name that makes this easy), play in ways that the other gender stereotypically does, etc. This kid said over the summer that they didn't want to be called the pronouns used for their birth gender. That was the most explicit indication to date that they're really processing through their identity and how the world sees them; their previous dress, play, name, etc. felt more carefree and whimsical and untethered from the outside world's perception of them.

There is a whole range of desired journey destinations for nonconforming or trans people. It's complicated stuff.

Giving your child drugs etc to permanently change them because of a mental issue is child abuse. Work with the mind not change the body. Why assume the body is the problem?

I will never understand the liberal mindset.
Civilized
Misterree said:

Giving your child drugs etc to permanently change them because of a mental issue is child abuse. Work with the mind not change the body. Why assume the body is the problem?

Or the medical mindset?

Or are the doctors, surgeons, psychologists, and psychiatrists that treat patients with gender dysphoria just liberalized and they let their politics guide their medicine?
packgrad
Civilized said:

Misterree said:

Or the medical mindset?

Or are the doctors, surgeons, psychologists, and psychiatrists that treat patients with gender dysphoria just liberalized and they let their politics guide their medicine?

Pretty clearly they are. The FDA doesn't approve the treatment. There have been hardly any studies of it. They're obviously content with stunting brain and bone growth of children by doing it. But please, tell us it's not child abuse.
caryking
Civilized said:

Misterree said:

Or the medical mindset?

Civ, that's a great question... I'm not convinced it's always a political slant, whether liberal or conservative... I read an article and pulled out this nugget...

Imagine that there is a new scientific theory that warns of an impending crisis, and points to a way out.

This theory quickly draws support from leading scientists, politicians and celebrities around the world. Research is funded by distinguished philanthropies, and carried out at prestigious universities. The crisis is reported frequently in the media. The science is taught in college and high school classrooms.

I don't mean global warming. I'm talking about another theory, which rose to prominence a century ago.

Its supporters included Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and Winston Churchill. It was approved by Supreme Court justices Oliver Wendell Holmes and Louis Brandeis, who ruled in its favor. The famous names who supported it included Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone; activist Margaret Sanger; botanist Luther Burbank; Leland Stanford, founder of Stanford University; the novelist H. G. Wells; the playwright George Bernard Shaw; and hundreds of others. Nobel Prize winners gave support. Research was backed by the Carnegie and Rockefeller Foundations. The Cold Springs Harbor Institute was built to carry out this research, but important work was also done at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and Johns Hopkins. Legislation to address the crisis was passed in states from New York to California.

These efforts had the support of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Medical Association, and the National Research Council. It was said that if Jesus were alive, he would have supported this effort.

All in all, the research, legislation and molding of public opinion surrounding the theory went on for almost half a century. Those who opposed the theory were shouted down and called reactionary, blind to reality, or just plain ignorant. But in hindsight, what is surprising is that so few people objected.

Today, we know that this famous theory that gained so much support was actually pseudoscience. The crisis it claimed was nonexistent. And the actions taken in the name of theory were morally and criminally wrong. Ultimately, they led to the deaths of millions of people.

What science do you think this was?
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Misterree said:

Or the medical mindset?

Pretty clearly they are. The FDA doesn't approve the treatment. There have been hardly any studies of it. They're obviously content with stunting brain and bone growth of children by doing it. But please, tell us it's not child abuse.

If it's pretty clearly child abuse being perpetrated by parents and medical professionals then all those bad actors are definitely getting arrested and charged right? It's abuse! Where are the arrests, charges, and convictions?

Or are the school counselors, police, DA's, and judges in on the conspiracy too?

Maybe they actually realize gender is more complicated than saying "they have a dick so they need to just act like it."
Mormad
Today, a high school biologic female who has changed her name to a male name, shaved her head like a marine, and identifies as a male, competed in swimming as a female in a female suit with the shoulder straps under the arm pits. Transitioning, i guess. But it's confusing.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Misterree said:

Or the medical mindset?

If it's pretty clearly child abuse being perpetrated by parents and medical professionals then all those bad actors are definitely getting arrested and charged right? It's abuse! Where are the arrests, charges, and convictions?

Or are the school counselors, police, DA's, and judges in on the conspiracy too?

Maybe they actually realize gender is more complicated than saying "they have a dick so they need to just act like it."

Yeah. **** their brains and bones. Radical leftists say their mental illness should be ignored and pretend they are normal. Lunacy. Their gender is more important than brain and bone growth. Hard to believe educated people say this. Woke is a disease.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Misterree said:

Or the medical mindset?

Gender is only complicated to those with mental illnesses. And their enablers.
Civilized

Point well taken Cary, although I think the analogy is imperfect, as most analogies are.

Eugenics involves trying to improve the gene pool utilizing forced sterilization, marriage prohibitions, or at their worst human extermination of populations deemed inferior or unfit to reproduce.

The fundamental distinction between eugenics and transgender transitioning is the transition is seen not just as voluntary but as desirable by the person undertaking it AND the idea of not transitioning is causing the person significant emotional distress.

Involuntary, inhumane, and in some cases torturous or fatal is fundamentally different than voluntary and desirable and distress-relieving.

Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Misterree said:

Or the medical mindset?

Yeah. **** their brains and bones. Radical leftists say their mental illness should be ignored and pretend they are normal. Lunacy. Their gender is more important than brain and bone growth. Hard to believe educated people say this. Woke is a disease.

So all the school counselors, police, DA's, and judges are radical leftists that are in on the woke conspiracy too?
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Misterree said:

Or the medical mindset?

So all the school counselors, police, DA's, and judges are radical leftists that are in on the woke conspiracy too?

They're all in on it? Do you think all school counselors, police, DAs and judges are all in lockstep with your radical agenda. That's adorable. But then again you think "the medical community" is ok with giving hormone suppression medications to children. You sound like a cult member. Keep up the conspiracy theory thing though. It's cute, #notaDemocrat.
caryking
Civilized said:

Point well taken Cary, although I think the analogy is imperfect, as most analogies are.

Eugenics involves trying to improve the gene pool utilizing forced sterilization, marriage prohibitions, or at their worst human extermination of populations deemed inferior or unfit to reproduce.

The fundamental distinction between eugenics and transgender transitioning is the transition is seen not just as voluntary but as desirable by the person undertaking it AND the idea of not transitioning is causing the person significant emotional distress.

Involuntary, inhumane, and in some cases torturous or fatal is fundamentally different than voluntary and desirable and distress-relieving.

I'm not saying the two are comparable; rather, how science can be flawed and perceived sound. That is why science is something I take with skepticism...
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

They're all in on it? Do you think all school counselors, police, DAs and judges are all in lockstep with your radical agenda. That's adorable. Keep up the conspiracy theory thing though. It's cute, #notaDemocrat.

Either school counselors, police, DA's, and judges are in on the conspiracy and looking the other way while abuse is going on in plain sight, or they're not arresting charging, and convicting parents and doctors because it's not child abuse.

You tell me, which one is it?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.