girls/women's sports and transgender athletes

8,092 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cowboypack02
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pineknollshoresking said:

Civilized said:

What science do you think this was?

Point well taken Cary, although I think the analogy is imperfect, as most analogies are.

Eugenics involves trying to improve the gene pool utilizing forced sterilization, marriage prohibitions, or at their worst human extermination of populations deemed inferior or unfit to reproduce.

The fundamental distinction between eugenics and transgender transitioning is the transition is seen not just as voluntary but as desirable by the person undertaking it AND the idea of not transitioning is causing the person significant emotional distress.

Involuntary, inhumane, and in some cases torturous or fatal is fundamentally different than voluntary and desirable and distress-relieving.

I'm not saying the two are comparable; rather, how science can be flawed and perceived sound. That is why science is something I take with skepticism...

I hear you. And mores change over time too. How eugenics was judged 100 years ago is definitely different from how it's judged now.

How gender transitions are judged 100 years from now may well be different than how it is judged today.

I don't think that difference is as much science-related as it is underlying ethics though.

In the case of eugenics, there was a clear violation or robbery by the state of the consent, reproductive rights, or in worst cases the life of those affected. It was putting the perceived good of the state or population over the individual.

What is the ethical analogy here? How will gender transitions, especially of younger people, be judged differently in 100 years than now?

The situation is certainly absent the issues related to the consent or rights or life of those affected since transitioning is voluntary and desirable and intended to be distress-relieving and completely focused on the well-being of the individual, as judged by that individual and the team of trained experts around them.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

So all the school counselors, police, DA's, and judges are radical leftists that are in on the woke conspiracy too?

They're all in on it? Do you think all school counselors, police, DAs and judges are all in lockstep with your radical agenda. That's adorable. Keep up the conspiracy theory thing though. It's cute, #notaDemocrat.

Either school counselors, police, DA's, and judges are in on the conspiracy and looking the other way while abuse is going on in plain sight, or they're not arresting charging, and convicting parents and doctors because it's not child abuse.

You tell me, which one is it?

Nah. That's just radical leftist nonsense. There is legislation in half the English speaking world regarding when you can allow children to transition. Which is it??? Lol.

Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

So all the school counselors, police, DA's, and judges are radical leftists that are in on the woke conspiracy too?

They're all in on it? Do you think all school counselors, police, DAs and judges are all in lockstep with your radical agenda. That's adorable. Keep up the conspiracy theory thing though. It's cute, #notaDemocrat.

Either school counselors, police, DA's, and judges are in on the conspiracy and looking the other way while abuse is going on in plain sight, or they're not arresting charging, and convicting parents and doctors because it's not child abuse.

Nah. That's just radical leftist nonsense. There is legislation in half the English speaking world regarding when you can allow children to transition. Which is it??? Lol.

How is legislating a minimum age of transition superior to a multidisciplinary team of medical experts providing individualized care for each patient and their unique medical needs (and also varying physical, intellectual, and emotional maturities)?
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

How is legislating a minimum age of transition superior to a multidisciplinary team of medical experts providing individualized care for each patient and their unique medical needs (and also varying physical, intellectual, and emotional maturities)?

Because woke leftists in medicine are putting ideology ahead of science and children's health. How is setting a minimum age for when a ****ing child can change genders a bad idea? It is very apparent why it's necessary with people like you thinking a child can make that decision. Lunacy.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Because woke leftists in medicine are putting ideology ahead of science and children's health. How is setting a minimum age for when a ****ing child can change genders a bad idea? It is very apparent why it's necessary with people like you thinking a child can make that decision. Lunacy.

Oh.

Woke leftists that dominate the AMA and APA, huh? We shouldn't trust woke medical experts now, but we should trust politicians to make decisions about children's health.

Makes complete sense.

I acknowledge the medical and emotional risks of transitioning. But that's all you're focused on.

Do you acknowledge the increased risks of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, self-harm, and suicide by trans teenagers that are in significant distress over their gender and prohibited from transitioning?

Parents understand this. Doctors understand this. You, obviously, do not understand this.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Oh.

Woke leftists that dominate the AMA and APA, huh? We shouldn't trust woke medical experts now, but we should trust politicians to make decisions about children's health.

Makes complete sense.

I acknowledge the medical and emotional risks of transitioning. But that's all you're focused on.

Do you acknowledge the increased risks of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, self-harm, and suicide by trans teenagers that are in significant distress over their gender and prohibited from transitioning?

Parents understand this. Doctors understand this. You, obviously, do not understand this.

Before the woke got a hold of theses associations, transgender was correctly listed as a mental illness just a few years ago. It's unfortunate legislation would even be needed, but unfortunately there are too many people like you that put political ideology ahead of children's health. It's sad but that also makes complete sense why legislation is necessary.

To your point about "medical experts" though, anyone that thinks like you that a child is capable of making that decision is not a doctor. They're not an expert. They're cultists. They should lose their license.

Do you acknowledge that transgender people have mental illnesses causing them to try to commit suicide at unprecedented rates? Do you acknowledge that transgender children don't have the mental capacity to make lifetime decisions especially at such a young age? Do you acknowledge the depression, anxiety, eating disorders, self-harm, and suicide by trans teenagers continue after transitioning?

Doctors understand this. Parents understand this. You, obviously, do not understand this.
BBW12OG
He understands that this a "talking point" from his handlers in the MSM and he must toe the company line common sense be damned.

Party before country right comrade civ?
Misterree
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

I will step away from this conversation as you seem to have forgotten how to think for yourself.
caryking
I actually have a different perspective:

If a person wants to get a sex change; then, so be it... Where I have a problem is with the so-called professional societies trying to normalize the practice. Most people would rather make a decision and live their life. I think you can draw a parallel to this with gender being a spectrum. The societal norms are thrown out the window and people (talking about myself) are called to have some type of phobia in the eyes of the... well, new norm...

Civ, an example of this (new norms) is homosexual marriage. Let's not push a narrative of this being a new norm. Does a segment of the population what to get married (same sex)? Yes. Just let them. Change all State and Federal laws that prohibit such. No more marriage licenses, change the tax code system, change everything "not" to normalize the behavior; rather, don't limit the act of any marriage through government laws.

I'll bet if we all start thinking this way, we would find more common ground. Thoughts?
PackPA2015
Interesting article here on the subject of transgenderism, etc. in the New England Journal of Medicine this morning. It transverses through the history of such thoughts and opinions. I think most people believe this is a rather new phenomenon, but it really is not. It is discussed out in the open more so, but there are major historical events that have dealt with these issues.

P.S. Don't shoot the messenger. Just sharing this information with you all.

NEJM Article on "The Political Nature of Sex"
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Oh.

Makes complete sense.

Before the woke got a hold of theses associations, transgender was correctly listed as a mental illness just a few years ago. It's unfortunate legislation would even be needed, but unfortunately there are too many people like you that put political ideology ahead of children's health. It's sad but that also makes complete sense why legislation is necessary.

To your point about "medical experts" though, anyone that thinks like you that a child is capable of making that decision is not a doctor. They're not an expert. They're cultists. They should lose their license.

Do you acknowledge that transgender people have mental illnesses causing them to try to commit suicide at unprecedented rates? Do you acknowledge that transgender children don't have the mental capacity to make lifetime decisions especially at such a young age? Do you acknowledge the depression, anxiety, eating disorders, self-harm, and suicide by trans teenagers continue after transitioning?

Doctors understand this. Parents understand this. You, obviously, do not understand this.

Homosexuality was listed as a mental illness too. Fortunately we evolved past the point of thinking it was a mental illness, a crime, or that you could pray the gay away.

Thankfully, we've also evolved as a medical community and society past treating transgenderism as a mental illness.

You're calling the APA and AMA, the organizations most central to adult and pediatric practice of medicine in this country, "cultists" and are convinced that their politics are trumping their care for patients, their education, their life's work, and their Hippocratic Oath.

That doesn't make sense, and it's not supported in the medical community, but it is your prerogative.
Civilized

If a person wants to get a sex change; then, so be it... Where I have a problem is with the so-called professional societies trying to normalize the practice. Most people would rather make a decision and live their life. I think you can draw a parallel to this with gender being a spectrum. The societal norms are thrown out the window and people (talking about myself) are called to have some type of phobia in the eyes of the... well, new norm...

Civ, an example of this (new norms) is homosexual marriage. Let's not push a narrative of this being a new norm. Does a segment of the population what to get married (same sex)? Yes. Just let them. Change all State and Federal laws that prohibit such. No more marriage licenses, change the tax code system, change everything "not" to normalize the behavior; rather, don't limit the act of any marriage through government laws.

I'll bet if we all start thinking this way, we would find more common ground. Thoughts?

My man, you have found some common ground here for sure!

I go back and forth on this though; on one hand, the state encourages marriage because increased family stability has many positive downstream effects. Does the societal benefit outweigh the costs to the government of being in the marriage business? I definitely can't answer that. You read anything on this that's illustrative?

To be certain, churches should not be made to marry anyone they don't want to. Assuming the state does not get out of the marriage business, tax and benefits laws should be blind as to whether the couple is gay or straight and gay couples should be able to marry at a church that chooses to marry them, or in a non-religious setting.
BBW12OG
Do you lefties see where this is going? Enjoy your sadistic two year run in power. Aside from lying, cheating and stealing votes to win you won't have all three houses ever again.

This is coming from the "party of science" right? Science to them is whatever social issue is being triumphed by their lunatic leaders on a given day.

caryking
Civilized said:

My man, you have found some common ground here for sure!

I go back and forth on this though; on one hand, the state encourages marriage because increased family stability has many positive downstream effects. Does the societal benefit outweigh the costs to the government of being in the marriage business? I definitely can't answer that. You read anything on this that's illustrative?

To be certain, churches should not be made to marry anyone they don't want to. Assuming the state does not get out of the marriage business, tax and benefits laws should be blind as to whether the couple is gay or straight and gay couples should be able to marry at a church that chooses to marry them, or in a non-religious setting.
Civ, I'm glad we can find common ground... I want to address some of your points:

"I go back and forth on this though; on one hand, the state encourages marriage because increased family stability has many positive downstream effects."

Why should the State encourage anything? I don't think it's their role.

"Does the societal benefit outweigh the costs to the government of being in the marriage business? I definitely can't answer that. You read anything on this that's illustrative?"

I'm not reading anything that suggest either way. Again, I will ask: Why should the State encourage anything? I don't think it's their role.

"To be certain, churches should not be made to marry anyone they don't want to. Assuming the state does not get out of the marriage business, tax and benefits laws should be blind as to whether the couple is gay or straight and gay couples should be able to marry at a church that chooses to marry them, or in a non-religious setting."

Civ, you just spoke words of LIBERTY!!! That being said, we should all work together to get the State out of the marriage license business...
packofwolves
BBW12OG said:

Do you lefties see where this is going? Enjoy your sadistic two year run in power. Aside from lying, cheating and stealing votes to win you won't have all three houses ever again.

This is coming from the "party of science" right? Science to them is whatever social issue is being triumphed by their lunatic leaders on a given day.

Ridiculous.
Civilized
Arkansas' Republican governor vetoes anti-trans health care bill

Gov. Asa Hutchinson told reporters that he killed HB 1570 because the bill "would be and is a vast government overreach" and because it would've created "new standards of legislative interference with physicians and parents as they deal with some of the most complex and sensitive matters involving young people."

The governor called the legislation "a product of the cultural war in America," adding that his veto comes even though he believed the bill was "well-intended."

Very well-reasoned take. Nice job, Gov. Hutchison.

packofwolves
Doesn't apply to sports, but this will not end well...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-allows-hundreds-of-transgender-inmates-to-request-transfers-to-prison-aligning-with-gender-identity
mdreid
packofwolves said:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-allows-hundreds-of-transgender-inmates-to-request-transfers-to-prison-aligning-with-gender-identity
funny timing with Caitlyn Jenner announcing running for Governor due to the recall lol
ncsualum05
packofwolves said:

cowboypack02
ncsualum05 said:

packofwolves said:

is fruit cocktail a euphemism for something else? we all know what's going to happen there....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.