Woodward Tapes // Admin Response to Coronavirus

9,694 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by caryking
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think it's disgusting that Woodward sat on these tapes since February, but worse that we knew how contagious it was in February and still didn't take a national approach for month's and tried to downplay it.

cowboypack02
statefan91 said:

I think it's disgusting that Woodward sat on these tapes since February, but worse that we knew how contagious it was in February and still didn't take a national approach for month's and tried to downplay it.

Let me know when presidents don't do this you'll see my shocked face,

Hell....i've been watching every major "news" outlet play down riots for the last few months.
GoPack2008
cowboypack02 said:

statefan91 said:

Let me know when presidents don't do this you'll see my shocked face,

Hell....i've been watching every major "news" outlet play down riots for the last few months.

Okay how about the leaders of literally every country in Europe and Asia?

Do you think Korea played this down? Singapore?

I think this sort of proves my point, though, from another thread.

If the sources are anonymous: attack their anonymity

If the sources are named: they are disgruntled and just want attention

If there are literal audio recordings: Everyone does this.

Just admit that you'll follow him blindly and defend everything he does. It's so much more honest.
statefan91
Did you watch the video or listen to the recordings?

Look, I'm fine if he wants to "downplay" it so as to not create a panic.

But then you should on the backend be doing everything in your ability to bolster testing supplies, PPE, push legislators to provide relief, etc. Having no coordinated national approach to fighting it when the admin knew how contagious it was is a dereliction of duty.

Instead of filling up sandbags and prepping your house before the floodwaters arrive, we did nothing and let the flood hit us full strength.
GoPack2008
statefan91 said:

Did you watch the video or listen to the recordings?

Look, I'm fine if he wants to "downplay" it so as to not create a panic.

But then you should on the backend be doing everything in your ability to bolster testing supplies, PPE, push legislators to provide relief, etc. Having no coordinated national approach to fighting it when the admin knew how contagious it was is a dereliction of duty.

Instead of filling up sandbags and prepping your house before the floodwaters arrive, we did nothing and let the flood hit us full strength.
Yep.

The sheer madness of this whole thing is that Trump missed a chance to literally cement his own re-election. Covid-19 polls as a major issue (maybe the main issue?) for Americans in the upcoming election, and Trump's approval on his handling of Covid-19 is in the toilet.

He could have reassured the public AND ALSO began immediate, emergency efforts to prepare, to ramp up testing, to develop contact-tracing, etc. Once it became clear that masks make a difference, he could have encouraged his followers to wear them rather than the opposite. It would have saved lives, protected the economy, and maybe guaranteed him a second term.

It's unreal how self-destructive it was.
dogplasma
Downplaying does not have to mean sustaining an alternate reality. Probably so the stock market stays up. You know that had to be the foremost concern on his mind.
packgrad
Wonder why that unbiased news organization didn't bring up the February China ban?
statefan91
packgrad said:

Wonder why that unbiased news organization didn't bring up the February China ban?
My guess is because that happened before the tapes (1/31 vs. 2/7 and beyond). That was definitely a good move to ban travel from China though.

packgrad
statefan91 said:

packgrad said:

My guess is because that happened before the tapes (1/31 vs. 2/7 and beyond). That was definitely a good move to ban travel from China though.

Far cry from he didn't do anything like is being presented.

I listened to the 7ish minutes framed for maximum outrage and thought "meh. Nothing to see here. Same old song and dance."

Maybe in further releases we'll have something to be outraged about. Now, not at all.
statefan91
Fair enough. For me, the dichotomy between privately talking about how big of a concern it is in early February vs. publicly downplaying it as something that will just go away while also not having a national strategy on how to test, trace, treat, etc. seems like a bad look.
dogplasma
I don't get why he would talk to Woodward after the first book, much less let Woodward tape him.
GoPack2008
dogplasma said:

I don't get why he would talk to Woodward after the first book, much less let Woodward tape him.
Me either. It's even more confusingly self destructive.
Bas2020
He quote "knew how contagious it was in Jan".

LOL, Wut?

Even Fauci didnt know how contagious or dangerous it was in March.

Trump did the same thing Obama or anybody else would have done. Heck, all the democrats ignored the virus even when being briefed on it because they were focused on impeachment. Biden was still holding rallys in March.

Bunch of Monday Morning QB'ing.
Bas2020
dogplasma said:

Downplaying does not have to mean sustaining an alternate reality. Probably so the stock market stays up. You know that had to be the foremost concern on his mind.

The CDC "down played" masks so there would not be a rush and the nurses and doctors would have their supply needed.

A crazy hysteric panic from any President would have resulted in grocery store madness, fear, panic and all sorts of negative activity.

This is an extra large nothing burger with extra cheese.
GoPack2008
Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

The CDC "down played" masks so there would not be a rush and the nurses and doctors would have their supply needed.

A crazy hysteric panic from any President would have resulted in grocery store madness, fear, panic and all sorts of negative activity.

A rush that could have been mitigated with earlier planning and use of the defense production act.

You're creating a strawman with this "crazy hysteric panic." That's not what anybody wishes he had done.

Do you genuinely believe that Trump has handled Covid-19 well?

<40% of Americans approve of his handling of the pandemic, and only 1/3 of independent voters approve. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a minority take.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/coronavirus-polls/
Bas2020
GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

A rush that could have been mitigated with earlier planning and use of the defense production act.

You're creating a strawman with this "crazy hysteric panic." That's not what anybody wishes he had done.

<40% of Americans approve of his handling of the pandemic, and only 1/3 of independent voters approve. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a minority take.

Nobody knows enough about the virus still to this day to be able to judge who did or didnt do a great job.

I put a vast majority of the success of failure at the feet of the Governors because I realize how the government works, even at the local level. This was a State issue and always has been .

I know Cuomo did a poor job with the nursing homes , but other that than hard to judge others as of today good or bad.

I think Hawaii is doing a horrible job by shutting down to the extent that they have and crippling their economy.

Shutting things down completely may not have helped at all.... we just dont know yet. Some countries havent shut anything down and are doing better. Some shut down and are doing worse. We just dont know.
cowboypack02
GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

I don't completely agree with his handling of the pandemic, but its completely disingenuous of everyone to only place the blame on Trump when its pretty obvious that there is a ton of blame to go around
GoPack2008
Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

Nobody knows enough about the virus still to this day to be able to judge who did or didnt do a great job.

I put a vast majority of the success of failure at the feet of the Governors.

I know Cuomo did a poor job with the nursing homes , but other that than hard to judge others as of today good or bad.

Do you think there is anything Trump could have done better?

I'll give you one: he could stand up today and tell everyone to wear a mask and to stop making it a political statement. It would cause no harm and could really help.

Why do governor's shoulder the blame but not the president? Does the president not have broader national reach and access to much greater resources?
Bas2020
GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

I'll give you one: he could stand up today and tell everyone to wear a mask and to stop making it a political statement. It would cause no harm and could really help.

Why do governor's shoulder the blame but not the president? Does the president not have broader national reach and access to much greater resources?

IF 50% of the country hates him so much why would him telling you to put on a mask have any affect?

There is still not evidence that supports wearing a mask really helps. Some would argue constantly touching your face may have a negative affect. There are dozens of countries not using masks that are doing much better than the US whom has gone mask crazy.

Why are liberals obsessed wtih masks to begin with? If Trump came out in support of masks from day 1 then you guys would be anti masks.... isnt that how this works?

Personally i wear a mask and distance when in certain situations but I dont know for sure what works. Nobody does. The CDC and many Dr's even said masks dont work then flip flopped.

Governors and Mayors by law are running these State's. The Feds can provide respirators etc like they did. There is literally nothing the Feds could do that they havent. The State and local authorities established local ordinances.. thus Cooper etc is control of NC, not Trump.

Cooper is denying high school sports and the parents of ACC players in the stands. Cooper is not allowing bars to open. Cooper is not allowing your kids to go to school. Not Trump.

You argue that Trump has too much power... and then you argue that Trump doesnt have enough Power.??? You can scream about Fascism. and then bark about why Trump doesnt have more control over your actions more???

Make up your mind.
cowboypack02
GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

At least the guy isn't a hypocrite in regards to this....there is video of tons of politicians telling everything that they need to be wearing a mask and then we see them on video doing things like going to protest (Cooper), getting their hair done (Pelosi), sitting in the stands at a baseball game (Fausi), walking their dog (Cuomo), at the gym (DeBlasio), taking their mask off when they don't think anyone is watching (reporters).

GoPack2008
Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

IF 50% of the country hates him so much why would him telling you to put on a mask have any affect?

There is still not evidence that supports wearing a mask really helps. Some would argue constantly touching your face may have a negative affect. There are dozens of countries not using masks that are doing much better than the US whom has gone mask crazy.

Why are liberals obsessed wtih masks to begin with? If Trump came out in support of masks from day 1 then you guys would be anit masks.... isnt that how this works?

Personally i wear a mask and distance when in certain situations but I dont know for sure what works. Nobody does. The CDC and many Dr's even said masks dont work then flip flopped.

Governors and Mayors by law are running these State's. The Feds can provide respirators etc like they did. There is literally nothing the Feds could do that they havent. The State and local authorities established local ordinances.. thus Cooper etc is control of NC, not Trump.

Cooper is denying high school sports and the parents of ACC players in the stands. Cooper is not allowing bars to open. Cooper is not allowing your kids to go to school. Not Trump.

You argue that Trump has too much power... and then you argue that Trump doesnt have enough Power.??? You can scream about Fascism. and then bark about why Trump doesnt have more control over your actions more???

Make up your mind.

You really are confused.

If Trump came out and said to wear masks, I would praise him for doing something right.

We don't need to KNOW that masks workthey likely have at least some effect and come at NO downside whatsoever to the vast majority of people.

Do you really think liberals are in favor of masks because it's the opposite of what Trump says? You are really, really far gone, my friend. But I am glad you wear a mask. Thank you for that.
Bas2020
GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

Why are liberals obsessed wtih masks to begin with? If Trump came out in support of masks from day 1 then you guys would be anit masks.... isnt that how this works?

Make up your mind.

You really are confused.

If Trump came out and said to wear masks, I would praise him for doing something right.

We don't need to KNOW that masks workthey likely have at least some effect and come at NO downside whatsoever to the vast majority of people.

Do you really think liberals are in favor of masks because it's the opposite of what Trump says? You are really, really far gone, my friend. But I am glad you wear a mask. Thank you for that.

Yes, I 100% believe that.

Heck, The Trump administration is currently rescuing hundreds of children from sex trafficking through out the US. The left is purposely ignoring what should be biggest story in the country. Why? They hate Trump... even hate him over a great story like that.

The media/left has routinely taken the exact opposite stance of Trump regardless of the issue for the past 4 years. I could list a hundred different instances.

And as far as masks go even Biden just took back his mandatory mask comment because he knows politically its hurting him.

The left hates Trump so much that they are incapable of making honest rational decisions or commentary on anything that relates to him. Its kind of funny.
FlossyDFlynt
Heres the thing with this for me - these tapes have existed since February. And now they are coming out 8 weeks before the election, one week before Woodward's book comes out. Its the same as Feinstein sitting on the Kavanaugh letter until September when she received it in July. Its a hail mary at this point, nothing more.

There are only so many times you can cry wolf until most people are just going to roll their eyes. Im just rolling my eyes at this point
FlossyDFlynt
Also, all that being said, Trump doesnt have anyone to blame but himself for giving Woodward all the access for these interviews and tapings. For someone who likes to scream fake news, he cannot help himself in front of a camera/microphone/recorder
Bas2020
FlossyDFlynt said:

Heres the thing with this for me - these tapes have existed since February. And now they are coming out 8 weeks before the election, one week before Woodward's book comes out. Its the same as Feinstein sitting on the Kavanaugh letter until September when she received it in July. Its a hail mary at this point, nothing more.

There are only so many times you can cry wolf until most people are just going to roll their eyes. Im just rolling my eyes at this point

There are 3-4 more "hit piece" books coming out.

One per week basically until the election. The media will treat each one like a "bomb shell" lololololol.

Rinse. Repeat.
Packchem91
FlossyDFlynt said:

Its capitalism 101, no?
Granted, its shady to the extent that it is capitalism usurping journalistic integrity, but the integrity part doesn't sell tons of books and generates millions of $$ of revenue like this book will.

Like others though...it amazes me that the POTUS would give these sound bytes to Woodward on tape. Maybe the scariest thing about Trump is, he has no filter, and he seems to not have one ounce of understanding of the decorum needed for the position of the most important job in the world?
FlossyDFlynt
Packchem91 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Its capitalism 101, no?
Granted, its shady to the extent that it is capitalism usurping journalistic integrity, but the integrity part doesn't sell tons of books and generates millions of $$ of revenue like this book will.

Like others though...it amazes me that the POTUS would give these sound bytes to Woodward on tape. Maybe the scariest thing about Trump is, he has no filter, and he seems to not have one ounce of understanding of the decorum needed for the position of the most important job in the world?
I actually have zero issues with what Woodward himself is doing. His goal is to sell books. This sound byte will obviously entice people to buy said book. But, if he is actually trying to change opinions on Trump, I think hes failed. For starters, he held onto this information for seven(ish) months during one of the most unprecedented times in American history only to release it in the time frame I mentioned above. On top of that, I dont think a single person that can rationally think can say that this isnt motivated by outside factors (IE book sales and the election). Thirdly, Trump's base is incredibly strong and has little opinion for COVID and its restrictions overall. The left isnt going towards Trump anyway, and I cant speak for independent views outside of myself.

Just my thoughts
GoPack2008
Woodward releasing this now isn't changing anything now in terms of the administration's policy.

Why would him releasing it earlier have mattered then, if it doesn't matter now?
GoPack2008
Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

GoPack2008 said:

Bas2020 said:

dogplasma said:

Make up your mind.

You really are confused.

Yes, I 100% believe that.

Heck, The Trump administration is currently rescuing hundreds of children from sex trafficking through out the US. The left is purposely ignoring what should be biggest story in the country. Why? They hate Trump... even hate him over a great story like that.

The media/left has routinely taken the exact opposite stance of Trump regardless of the issue for the past 4 years. I could list a hundred different instances.

And as far as masks go even Biden just took back his mandatory mask comment because he knows politically its hurting him.

The left hates Trump so much that they are incapable of making honest rational decisions or commentary on anything that relates to him. Its kind of funny.

I'm a liberal. If Trump said to wear masks, I would consider that a good thing. I would keep wearing my mask in appropriate settings. Masks make logical sense, work for other droplet and aerosolized diseases (TB patients are required to wear surgical masks because it reduces aerosolization), and they don't have a downside. I don't wear a mask to spite trump, I wear a mask because if there are two masks separating each person, it's going to have SOME benefit.

Do you think I'm lying about my own views?

How much of your opinion is based on actual conversations with liberals where you hear where they are coming from, and how much is based on this idea you just made up?
packgrad
Trump has said to wear a mask. Not to interrupt your completely made up argument.
lumberpack5
FlossyDFlynt said:

Packchem91 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Its capitalism 101, no?

I actually have zero issues with what Woodward himself is doing. His goal is to sell books. This sound byte will obviously entice people to buy said book. But, if he is actually trying to change opinions on Trump, I think hes failed. For starters, he held onto this information for seven(ish) months during one of the most unprecedented times in American history only to release it in the time frame I mentioned above. On top of that, I dont think a single person that can rationally think can say that this isnt motivated by outside factors (IE book sales and the election). Thirdly, Trump's base is incredibly strong and has little opinion for COVID and its restrictions overall. The left isnt going towards Trump anyway, and I cant speak for independent views outside of myself.

Just my thoughts
This is the problem with worshiping humans like an infallible God. So much is invested that any evidence to the contrary has to be smothered even if it costs you your life. Trump can do no wrong in his supporters eyes, no matter how dumb or how bad.
I like the athletic type
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

Trump has said to wear a mask. Not to interrupt your completely made up argument.

A predictably lemming-like response.

Trump has been all over the place on masks.

It doesn't matter if he says to wear a mask if he also does this:

"But did you ever see a man that likes a mask as much as him," Trump asked a campaign rally crowd in Pennsylvania on Thursday of former Vice President Joe Biden. "And then he makes a speech, and he always has it not always, but a lot of times, he has it hanging down. Because, you know what, it gives him a feeling of security. If I were a psychiatrist right? I'd say, this guy's got some big issues. Hanging down."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/04/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-masks/index.html

If he'd stop pandering to his whacko base and start actually leading, it might save some lives.
packgrad
No surprise. You were FOS about your response if Trump said to wear a mask. Just admit it, it doesn't matter what he says or does, you will go into hysterics.
lumberpack5
GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

A predictably lemming-like response.

Trump has been all over the place on masks.

It doesn't matter if he says to wear a mask if he also does this:

"But did you ever see a man that likes a mask as much as him," Trump asked a campaign rally crowd in Pennsylvania on Thursday of former Vice President Joe Biden. "And then he makes a speech, and he always has it not always, but a lot of times, he has it hanging down. Because, you know what, it gives him a feeling of security. If I were a psychiatrist right? I'd say, this guy's got some big issues. Hanging down."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/04/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-masks/index.html

If he'd stop pandering to his whacko base and start actually leading, it might save some lives.
That base and and those in the bottom white social classes are all he has going for himself. He risks losing them if he acts normal and prudent.
I like the athletic type
lumberpack5
We have reached the end of the usefulness of this particular two party system and it's time change again as has happened in about every 40 years or so, but to stay in power both parties fight that change, leading to wack jobs taking over the parties.

The real party ID break down is something like the following:

White anger - Right wing nut party - 15% of the population
Conspiracy, racists, nativists, anti-government, anti-tax, objectivism, socially Darwinistic

Traditional Republicans - 10% of the population - Sound money, sound military, stay out someone's bedroom

Suburban American Middle Party - 30% of the population
Same as TR's but more government spending, and support of light social engineering

Traditional Democrats - 20% of the population
Unsound money, Union, Pluralistic, Slow to do anything while feelings are examined

Wack Job Dems - 15% of the population
Commies, Socialists, Hyper Inflation, High Taxes

Coalltional poltiics for America need to happen with the middle groups. Piss on the 15% on the two wings.
I like the athletic type
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.