New movies worth watching

8,880 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Redwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally got to 1917. I thought it was great.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
Not a movie, but based on one....just finished the 3 seasons of Fargo on Hulu....loved it. So witty and smartly done, with quirky characters and so over the top on the characteristics of Minnesotans but in a way that was endearing.

Up there now in my favorite TV series ever watched. Saw that a S4 is due in 2020...I surely hope that is true
Packchem91
Dark Waters --- based on true story of emissions from Dupont in rural WVa and a corporate lawyer for a firm that normally supports the chemicals, turns against them. It was ok, I thought could have been better.

Richard Jewell. I thought it was entertaining, if a bit over-the-top. Certainly good if you like the "little man fights The Man (media, FBI)" angle..
Steve Williams
Staff
Saw 1917 this weekend and really enjoyed it. Don't know that I've ever seen a movie recorded in one continuous scene (for the most part).
BollNCSU
Nobody going to mention Tiger King?? It's #1 on Netflix right now. Not a movie though. It's damn crazy. Crazy people, crazy story, just damn crazy. Addicting waiting to see what these crazies will do next. Not even the most ridiculous part, but when one of the tigers bites the workers arm off and Exotic Joe puts on his EMT style jacket and goes in the gift shop to tell the people a tiger has chewed off one of the workers arms and do they want a rain check or a refund!!!!!!!
BruceDouble
Just finished tiger king last night. So much weirdness
Ironwolf
Loved Narcos, especially first two seasons. Thought the cast was brilliant. One of the best series I
have seen. Narcos Mexico is great too. Only problem I have with Narcos is I binge watch and then
bam... it's over until whenever
RunsWithWolves26
BollNCSU said:

Nobody going to mention Tiger King?? It's #1 on Netflix right now. Not a movie though. It's damn crazy. Crazy people, crazy story, just damn crazy. Addicting waiting to see what these crazies will do next. Not even the most ridiculous part, but when one of the tigers bites the workers arm off and Exotic Joe puts on his EMT style jacket and goes in the gift shop to tell the people a tiger has chewed off one of the workers arms and do they want a rain check or a refund!!!!!!!

Was mentioned multiple times above
RunsWithWolves26
Season 3 of Ozark ended in a very interesting way. Sucks I've gotta wait a year for season 4.
kbdavis33
Sorry y'all, just starting to get into the Water Cooler. What's the consensus top 3? I'm seeing 1917 a good bit
Steve Williams
Staff
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Season 3 of Ozark ended in a very interesting way. Sucks I've gotta wait a year for season 4.
Ozark pretty good? I need a new series. What's the premise of it?
octdregs
Steve Williams said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ozark is great. It's basically a money laundering Breaking Bad in the Ozarks. I didn't like season 3 but the first two are amazing.
*be the person your dog thinks you are*
kbdavis33
Steve Williams said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I was slow to start it as it just didn't seem to appeal to me.

It's really good though. Would recommend
packgrad
I really liked Ozark as well. Haven't started season 3 yet, but hope to this weekend.
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ozark is awesome. Bateman is so entertaining. Very good characters, smart show
RunsWithWolves26
Steve Williams said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Personally, I love it. It reminds me of breaking bad' a lot. Keeps you on the edge of your seat but Bateman is so good at what he does. It is definitely one I can't watch one show at the time. I binge watch it without any issue. The twist and turns will have you wondering. The plot line is great and honestly, all the characters are great. Let us know what you think I'd you watch it. Give it 3 episodes before you make a call on it
fhstatefan43
Ozark is great. As with most things on these days it has unnecessarily bad language but it is a story line that pulls you in. It is one of those shows that doesn't have a good guy so you find yourself questioning who you should really pull for.

I also just finished Tiger King. You guys were right; crazy and weird story but I couldn't stop watching.
JocoPack
Another vote for Ozark. Haven't seen season 3 yet but the first two were phenomenal.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
packgrad
Casting a vote for old movies you haven't seen in a while. Watched Forrest Gump again for the first time in a few years. Almost as good as the first time. Wonderful movie.
acslater1344
watched The Natural for the first time on Netflix the other day. Pretty wonky at times in terms of plot, but a great cast and wonderful ending. RR is the man
CLTWolf
Anything Ron Shelton in terms of old sports flicks are great. Bull Durham, White Men Can't Jump, Tin Cup, The Best of Times to name a couple.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
statefan91
acslater1344 said:

watched The Natural for the first time on Netflix the other day. Pretty wonky at times in terms of plot, but a great cast and wonderful ending. RR is the man

Glad to hear it's on Netflix, great movie but definitely has some peaks and valleys
JocoPack
The family watched Pixar's "Onward" last night. Great movie. The room got a little dusty there at the end.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

The family watched Pixar's "Onward" last night. Great movie. The room got a little dusty there at the end.
Saw some debate yesterday about whether this was one of the two 2-3 animated movies of all time.

Will have to give it a watch this weekend with family.

Not a new movie, but one that is a classic and a fun movie to watch when that is all that we have to do....O Brother, Where Art Thou.

I'd not watched it in several years, and had forgotten how funny and smartly done it was. And of course, great soundtrack.

statefan91
Liked Onward but don't think I would rank it in my Top 5 or anything for animated movies. Definitely a fun one with some 80s type nostalgia with the D&D type references
JocoPack
O Brother is top 10 for me. Very quotable movie.

Yeah Onward is definitely a good but idk about ranking it that high. May need to watch it a few more times and it will grow on me.
BollNCSU
RunsWithWolves26 said:

BollNCSU said:

Was mentioned multiple times above

Please show me where it's been mentioned "multiple" times above as I've gone back through every post above in this thread multiple times and I don't see mention of it once, much less multiple times. Thanks for your help!
wilmwolf
He's mistaken, it's not in this thread. There is a lot of discussion about it in the Amazon/Netflix series recommendation thread though, which would be the appropriate place for it since it is a series and not a movie.
BollNCSU
wilmwolf80 said:

He's mistaken, it's not in this thread. There is a lot of discussion about it in the Amazon/Netflix series recommendation thread though, which would be the appropriate place for it since it is a series and not a movie.

Gotcha. Thanks as I was confused.
CLTWolf
JocoPack said:

Yeah Onward is definitely a good but idk about ranking it that high. May need to watch it a few more times and it will grow on me. I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen more talk about the LGBTQ reference in the movie. Not gonna spoil it for you but it was one of the most blatant ones yet by Disney.
My daughter made me put on Onward like 3 times. I thought it was very good movie and one I didn't mind watching over and over. Now that it's on Disney plus I'm sure it will be shown in my house even more.

I didn't even catch the reference you're talking about (until I looked it up after reading your post). I guess something like that doesn't hit my radar nor is it something that bothers me or I find concerning. I'm not sure what there is to talk about?
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JocoPack
CLTWolf said:

JocoPack said:

Yeah Onward is definitely a good but idk about ranking it that high. May need to watch it a few more times and it will grow on me.
My daughter made me put on Onward like 3 times. I thought it was very good movie and one I didn't mind watching over and over. Now that it's on Disney plus I'm sure it will be shown in my house even more.

I didn't even catch the reference you're talking about (until I looked it up after reading your post). I guess something like that doesn't hit my radar nor is it something that bothers me or I find concerning. I'm not sure what there is to talk about?
I was just bringing it up because there have been lesser references in movies and shows that would have made you thought the world was going to end. Taking it out of original post to not derail. My fault.
Steve Williams
Staff
Anyone watched Extraction yet?
wilmwolf
Watched Extraction last night, pretty good action movie. The Gentlemen was very good I thought. Bad Boyz For Life wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.
Steve Williams
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

Watched Extraction last night, pretty good action movie. The Gentlemen was very good I thought. Bad Boyz For Life wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.
Liked Extraction...Kinda like a John Wick movie done military style.
jadawson
I thought Blow The Man Down on Amazon Prime was quite good. A sort of dark comedy wrapped up in a quirky unique culture kind of like Fargo from the 90's.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.