New movies worth watching

8,801 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Redwolf
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Give me some suggestions, preferably something released on Amazon, Netflix, PPV.
RunsWithWolves26
The pharmacist. Not a movie but it is 4 episodes on Netflix. Just watched it and it was fascinating to me.
statefan91
Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Knives Out are all available for rent now and really good.
pblanks
Parasite and Waves are the two best new movies I've seen in the last year.

Not new, but I saw Good Time recently on Netflix after the Sadfie Brother's Uncut Gems came out. Great movie.

Drive is also on Netflix right now, which is an all timer that I recently saw for the first time.
metcalfmafia
Bump
wilmwolf
The Irishman was just ok Knives Out was good. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was meh. Spenser confidential on Netflix was ok for a mindless action movie starting Marky Mark. Those are my most recents.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JocoPack
I enjoyed the Irishman for the most part. Some of the age-defying CGI was a little weird but overall well done.

I thought the newish Joker movie was good. Gave a good glimpse into mental illness.

Not a movie but season 5 of Better Call Saul has been good so far.
grandpack1
Have not seen anything new worth anything so I have gone back to oldies. Remember now how much I love them.
grandpack1
Maybe a better way is for everyone to list their 5 favorite movies of all time and we may all get a suggestion
jadawson
I watch a lot of movies so if people want any suggestions let me know a few movies you love (preferably on the recent side), and if you are ok with subtitles and I can try to give you a few titles to seek out.

Some of my favorites of 2019 were Parasite, Uncut Gems, Marriage Story, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Knives Out & the Last Black Man in San Francisco
statefan91
jadawson said:

I watch a lot of movies so if people want any suggestions let me know a few movies you love (preferably on the recent side), and if you are ok with subtitles and I can try to give you a few titles to seek out.

Some of my favorites of 2019 were Parasite, Uncut Gems, Marriage Story, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Knives Out & the Last Black Man in San Francisco

Ditto - I have AMC A List and see a lot. Portrait of a Lady on Fire May be my favorite of those you listed.
SaltWaterWolf
Knives Out is a fun and entertaining watch. A lot of big names and in different type roles than you normally see them.
JocoPack
jadawson said:

I've got to check out Uncut Gems. Heard it was phenomenal.
Steve Williams
Staff
Several have mentioned Parasite. Will have to check it out.
1MANWOLFPAK
Spenser confidential, mark Wahlberg Netflix movie was pretty good
CLTWolf
Loved the idea of Parasite but I just can't read my movies. Subtitles don't work for me and I know that's dumb.

Knives Out was great

Uncut Gems- great.
1917- Amazing
JoJo Rabbit was good. Didn't wow me but I liked it ok.
Bombshell was pretty good
Ford Vs Ferrari was excellent
The Joker did not do it for me at all. If I were the type to turn a movie off, I would've turned it off. Bleh.
Dark Waters was really good
Ad Astra- BOR-RING. I fall asleep just thinking about this movie.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting
grandpack1
I also liked 1917 and Ford Vs Ferrari. They were good
jadawson
JocoPack said:

jadawson said:

It is incredible, and it also gives you secondhand anxiety because it's so full of stressful situations. In terms of getting across a feeling to the audience it may be the best of the year.
CLTWolf
jadawson said:

JocoPack said:

jadawson said:

It is incredible, and it also gives you secondhand anxiety because it's so full of stressful situations. In terms of getting across a feeling to the audience it may be the best of the year.

It made me anxious AF.

CloudPack
If you are in the mood for something less serious, I found Good Boys to be hilarious.
Pakbackr
1917 - Excellent!
CLTWolf
CloudPack said:

If you are in the mood for something less serious, I found Good Boys to be hilarious.

You would probably enjoy Booksmart too. Very good movie, super funny.
Packchem91
Steve Williams said:

Parasite was really good. So well done...I didn't see it until after it had won the Oscars, but not I see why.
Ford vs Ferrari.
Knives Out is a hoot.
We went back and watched the last several Bond movies this weekend. Always enjoyable.

also, not real new, but watch Free Solo if you haven't seen it. Mesmerizing.
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

Steve Williams said:

Parasite was really good. So well done...I didn't see it until after it had won the Oscars, but not I see why.
Ford vs Ferrari.
Knives Out is a hoot.
We went back and watched the last several Bond movies this weekend. Always enjoyable.

My dad highly recommended Ford vs Ferrari. Said it was great.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Williams said:

Ford vs Ferrari.
Knives Out is a hoot.

My dad highly recommended Ford vs Ferrari. Said it was great.
Even my 16yo daughter liked it. Witty, very good cast w/good chemistry, well written, good story, and entertaining
jadawson
If you like zombie movies and don't mind subtitles, give One Cut of the Dead a shot. Japanese zombie horror/comedy with a crazy premise that gives it an interesting feel and style. Just watched it tonight and really enjoyed it.
pblanks
For those of you that like Uncut Gems, check out Good Time on Netflix.

Same directors, same anxiety themed movie in NYC setting.

I actually liked Good Time better than Uncut Gems because I didnt know much about it before watching it. Uncut Gems was really good too, but my expectations were really high from all the chatter.

I plan to watch Lady on Fire soon.... didnt know it was available yet.
pblanks
If you like indie, A24 type movies, I recently watched all of Trey Edward Shultz's films.

He's a young (31 years old), up and coming director. And all of his movies are great: Waves, Krisha, and It Comes at Night (my least favorite of the 3 but popular on Netflix).
BruceDouble
If you're into drug cartel type stuff, I really enjoyed Narcos.I actually started with Narcos Mexico bc it was just one season and Completely separate story. If you're into it, delve into the original Narcos about Pablo Escobar which has 3 seasons. Had myself googling did he really do all this crazy *****

Lots of subtitles but I found it actually makes you pay attention better. you can't be messing around on your phone or else you have no idea what's going on.
jadawson
pblanks said:

If you like indie, A24 type movies, I recently watched all of Trey Edward Shultz's films.

He's a young (31 years old), up and coming director. And all of his movies are great: Waves, Krisha, and It Comes at Night (my least favorite of the 3 but popular on Netflix).

Krisha is great. Incredibly tense movie at times and the actress playing Krisha was phenomenal
wilmwolf
Finally got to JoJo Rabbit. I thought it was ok. Not great by any stretch. It was billed as a dark comedy, but other than Waititi's Hitler providing occasional chuckles, I didn't find much comedy. It was quirky, which is what I expected from him.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Finally got to JoJo Rabbit. I thought it was ok. Not great by any stretch. It was billed as a dark comedy, but other than Waititi's Hitler providing occasional chuckles, I didn't find much comedy. It was quirky, which is what I expected from him.

Same. It was just blah to me.
pblanks
jadawson said:

pblanks said:

Krisha is great. Incredibly tense movie at times and the actress playing Krisha was phenomenal

Agreed. The tension waiting for the inevitable meltdown had my nerves shot, and even though you know it's coming, you arent prepared for what's coming. I also was empathetic to that feeling when she wakes up and thinks "oh ****, what have I done".

Not sure if you have seen Waves, but it's fantastic as well.
acslater1344
CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Loved it personally, but it appeals to specific type of sense of humor. Definitely not for everybody. Sam Rockwell's character cracked me up.

Finally checked out Parasite over the weekend. I enjoyed it but hard to live up to the hype. Had a similar experience with 1917. Pretty average as far as war movies go IMO outside of a few scenes but my expectations were super high when I went to see it.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - big QT fan and loved it. Doesn't have the pacing or the amount of violence that's typical of his movies, but if you love great dialogue from actors, hard not to enjoy it. Also if you enjoy Whiskey Sours...

Still need to see Ford vs. Ferrari. I've heard nothing but good things from all types of people. Looking forward to check that out this week.
CLTWolf
acslater1344 said:

CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Loved it personally, but it appeals to specific type of sense of humor. Definitely not for everybody. Sam Rockwell's character cracked me up.

Finally checked out Parasite over the weekend. I enjoyed it but hard to live up to the hype. Had a similar experience with 1917. Pretty average as far as war movies go IMO outside of a few scenes but my expectations were super high when I went to see it.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - big QT fan and loved it. Doesn't have the pacing or the amount of violence that's typical of his movies, but if you love great dialogue from actors, hard not to enjoy it. Also if you enjoy Whiskey Sours...

Still need to see Ford vs. Ferrari. I've heard nothing but good things from all types of people. Looking forward to check that out this week.
I love Sam Rockwell, I think he's such a great actor. He was the highlight of the film to me along with the chubby nazi kid. "Not a great time to be a nazi" lol

I really really enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari but I also thought 1917 was amazing so you might not enjoy F v F lol
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.