Sportsman Boats

3,215 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wingscupped
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do any of you have experience with Sportsman brand boats? They're made in SC and supposedly pretty good. I'm looking at trading in my 20ft Sundance for a 22ft Masters series Sportsman. I've checked out the boat I'm looking at getting and am hoping to try one this weekend but didn't know if anyone on the boards had any experience.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Bell Tower Grey
I do not, but....call Les Collins at Collins Marine in Smithfield. His first (now deceased) wife was my cousin. I'm not sure that he carries that brand, but I know he'll give you straight up advice on whatever you're looking for.
TraCha4
Sportsman's are supposed to be great boats. I believe a long time designer of Sea Hunt helped start Sportsman. Take a look at Robalo Boats. You get a lot for the money and built great. Buddy of mine sells them at Anglers Marine in Supply, NC and Clayton, NC
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

I do not, but....call Les Collins at Collins Marine in Smithfield. His first (now deceased) wife was my cousin. I'm not sure that he carries that brand, but I know he'll give you straight up advice on whatever you're looking for.

Good buddy of mine is the sales manager there and is the one trying to get me into one. He's got one on the lot that looks pretty good. Hope to test drive it this weekend.
JocoPack
TraCha4 said:

Sportsman's are supposed to be great boats. I believe a long time designer of Sea Hunt helped start Sportsman. Take a look at Robalo Boats. You get a lot for the money and built great. Buddy of mine sells them at Anglers Marine in Supply, NC and Clayton, NC

Just checked out their Cayman series on their website. Sharp looking boat. May warrant a ride to Clayton.
TraCha4
A guy I work with bought a 24 ft Robalo cayman from my buddy at Anglers. He absolutely loves it. It's a great duel purpose boat. They cruise the waterway with the family and he does a lot of fishing on it. He even takes his out in the ocean. I wouldn't recommend the ocean part in the bay boat design though.
JocoPack
TraCha4 said:

A guy I work with bought a 24 ft Robalo cayman from my buddy at Anglers. He absolutely loves it. It's a great duel purpose boat. They cruise the waterway with the family and he does a lot of fishing on it. He even takes his out in the ocean. I wouldn't recommend the ocean part in the bay boat design though.
Yeah I'm not going out in the ocean with a 22ft bay boat. I'm bold but not that bold lol. I'm just looking for something to take the family to the 'cut banks' along the waterway and also do some fishing off of it. I enjoy my Sundance and it's been a great boat, but I think there are better options as far as seating goes. Thanks for the recommendation for the Robalo. I will look into them.
Tootie4Pack
Go to the Anglers Marine in Clayton. Ask for Michael. This guy can fix you up with exactly what you are looking for. He is very knowledgeable on boating and fishing.
Wingscupped
I have a 2014 Sportsman Masters 207. That is their bay boat line. Absolutely love it. I already have "2 foot-itis" and am looking to go up in size and want to stay with Sportsman. I've fished a lot of bay boats and would put it right there with any of them.
JocoPack
Wingscupped said:

I have a 2014 Sportsman Masters 207. That is their bay boat line. Absolutely love it. I already have "2 foot-itis" and am looking to go up in size and want to stay with Sportsman. I've fished a lot of bay boats and would put it right there with any of them.
Thanks for responding, Wings. I went and looked at one the other day...is it just me or are the gunnels(gunwhales) low to the deck? Just seemed to be shallow overall to me. I need to get a yard stick and measure my current boat and compare. Wouldn't be an issue but I often have small kids aboard. Of course they're seated with life jackets while the boat is in motion but that still seemed a little concerning to me. I also looked at a couple of BlackJack boats and they seemed to be the same way. Maybe I'm just being paranoid though lol. I definitely like the deeper V though compared to my old boat, not to mention they look SHARP.
Wingscupped
It doesn't feel low when riding. We put kids on ours all the time with no issue. The one thing I would change about mine is to get the leaning post with the back rest and the rod holders mounted to the back rest. Mine does not have the back rest so the 3 leaning post mounted rod holders are at seat level so the bottoms of them hang below the seat. This causes a problem with opening your cooler mounted under the leaning post.

If I don't move to a bigger model, I will definitely spend the $ to change my current leaning post.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.