2019 Grilling Season

27,909 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ncsupack1
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bell Tower Grey said:

Happy weekend eve, guys. I've got 15 lbs. of fresh shrimp from Sneads Ferry, thanks to my aunt and uncle, that I plan to cook over the weekend.

Tonight I'm going to grill some, along with a pork tenderloin I'm brining in apple cider and Old Bay; and corn on the cob. I asked Mrs. BTG to prepare a salad and bake a loaf of her sourdough / rosemary bread.

My den beer refrigerator got here a day early, so I'm going shortly to pick up some Old Tuffy to stock it with. The weekend is shaping up nicely so far.
Sounds great, Bell. I'm thawing some pork chops that I plan on grilling tonight along with some squash/zucchini/onions/mushrooms on the blackstone. Headed East this weekend so will probably stop by Lowe's Foods and get some steaks and scallops among other things.

Of course Old Tuffy is going to be involved in all of this
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Bell Tower Grey
On Friday I had the butcher to cut a pork belly into thick slices for me. This morning, I grilled some, along with buttered englishmuffins. Scrambled eggs with 3 cheese blend on the flat top and then put all of it together for egg mcmuffins.

I also put a a 10 lb. pork shoulder on the smoker at 6:30 this morning, with some apple and hickory pellets. I'm enjoying my breakfast and the nice smoky aroma on the deck. One of the neighbors has already stopped by while he was walking his dog after he smelled the smoke. Said he'd be back in a few minutes with a container of bloody mary's to share and enjoy the morning.

Seems like he's thinking Mrs. BTG and I will have dinner guests.
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

On Friday I had the butcher to cut a pork belly into thick slices for me. This morning, I grilled some, along with buttered englishmuffins. Scrambled eggs with 3 cheese blend on the flat top and then put all of it together for egg mcmuffins.

I also put a a 10 lb. pork shoulder on the smoker at 6:30 this morning, with some apple and hickory pellets. I'm enjoying my breakfast and the nice smoky aroma on the deck. One of the neighbors has already stopped by while he was walking his dog after he smelled the smoke. Said he'd be back in a few minutes with a container of bloody mary's to share and enjoy the morning.

Trying to butter you up with bloody Mary's haha
ncsupack1
Been a busy morning. Took my six year old fishing this morning, he thought he was big going on the Ranger...caught 14 pan fish. Now getting some ribs ready for the smoker and getting ready for the race....will break out the Makers here soon.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Been a busy morning. Took my six year old fishing this morning, he thought he was big going on the Ranger...caught 14 pan fish. Now getting some ribs ready for the smoker and getting ready for the race....will break out the Makers here soon.
Nice job on the fish...dinner tomorrow night?

I turned on the pre-race show in time to catch the interview with Darrell Wallace. He's got an attitude problem with Rowdy, even though Busch mentored him some. Kinda think he may get a taste of the soft wall today.

Mrs. BTG surprised me with a race snack of grilled shrimp spread with pan seared pork belly on toast points and an iced down Hoppyum.. I think I'll keep her..
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Yep. He AND his wife (who is quite easy on the eyes for a 50 year old) came over with the bloody mary's. Mrs. BTG started talking with her about the pork shoulder and indeed, invited them over for dinner. It's fine, they are great folks, and besides, it's not like there won't be enough bbq. She's bringing slaw and banana pudding. Wife's fixing bbq boiled potatoes. He's brining two bottles of Makers 46.
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

JocoPack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Yep. He AND his wife (who is quite easy on the eyes for a 50 year old) came over with the bloody mary's. Mrs. BTG started talking with her about the pork shoulder and indeed, invited them over for dinner. It's fine, they are great folks, and besides, it's not like there won't be enough bbq. She's bringing slaw and banana pudding. Wife's fixing bbq boiled potatoes. He's brining two bottles of Makers 46.

Dang Bell you've got some good neighbors! Only thing my neighbors bring is an empty stomach ha

I'm grilling some pork chops tonight along with some squash and zucchini on the blackstone. All stuff from the freezer lol
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice job on the fish...dinner tomorrow night?

I turned on the pre-race show in time to catch the interview with Darrell Wallace. He's got an attitude problem with Rowdy, even though Busch mentored him some. Kinda think he may get a taste of the soft wall today.

Mrs. BTG surprised me with a race snack of grilled shrimp spread with pan seared pork belly on toast points and an iced down Hoppyum.. I think I'll keep her..

Naw, threw the fish back...small. Race was okay, sounds like a nice time yesterday for dinner...
Bell Tower Grey
Dinner was good. The neighbors ended up not coming over so I fixed bbq sandwiches with some of the pork, and then threw some chicken on the grill to have ready for tonight.
Bell Tower Grey
Old school tonight. Steaks, baked potatoes, salad and a bottle or two of Apothic Red
JocoPack
I've got 3 prime ribeyes from the Lowe's Foods in Cape Carteret I'm about to put on the Big Green Egg tonight. Got them rubbed with some Heath Riles every-day seasoning. One for the youngins to split and one a piece for me and the old lady. Drank a couple of Old Tuffys earlier but now I've got some Crown and diet ginger ale. Jamey Johnson and Tyler Childers on the speaker playing. Waiting for the storm to hit us. Let's Go Pack.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

I've got 3 prime ribeyes from the Lowe's Foods in Cape Carteret I'm about to put on the Big Green Egg tonight. Got them rubbed with some Heath Riles every-day seasoning. One for the youngins to split and one a piece for me and the old lady. Drank a couple of Old Tuffys earlier but now I've got some Crown and diet ginger ale. Jamey Johnson and Tyler Childers on the speaker playing. Waiting for the storm to hit us. Let's Go Pack.
JoCo, have you tried HR's Honey Chipotle rub? Good stuff. Great on chicken and turkey.
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

JocoPack said:

JoCo, have you tried HR's Honey Chipotle rub? Good stuff. Great on chicken and turkey.

Yes I have! Between that and Caribeque's rubs that's about all I use.
ncsupack1
Today is shaping up really nice. Had waffles and bacon this morning, then went to the bookstore, went yesterday to the Red and White Store, tailgating supplies are now in order....having a few beers(Old Tuffy) and going to grill a pork tenderloin later...fixing will be easy, boiled potatoes and steamed broccoli. And of course the truck race is about to come on. Cheers!
Bell Tower Grey
Got some wings I rubbed with old bay and lemon pepper that I'm putting on the grill shortly. Loaf of garlic bread to grill with them. Simple, tonight.
Bell Tower Grey
Anyone cooking anything special today? I'm leaning toward steak since we had burgers last night, but there's not really anything I'm feeling I gotta have.
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Anyone cooking anything special today? I'm leaning toward steak since we had burgers last night, but there's not really anything I'm feeling I gotta have.

Got everything tied down at our place in Carteret. Just stopped by the Lowe's Foods and grabbed two prime ribeyes, some asparagus, and mushrooms. Also grabbed some other stuff for this week.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Got everything tied down at our place in Carteret. Just stopped by the Lowe's Foods and grabbed two prime ribeyes, some asparagus, and mushrooms. Also grabbed some other stuff for this week.
Good luck, JoCo.

The butcher shop was open from 10 - 3 today so I stopped in to see what looked good. Picked up some ribs and chicken to put on the smoker. Good eats coming off later this evening.
ncsupack1
Grabbed some ribeye yesterday, going grill those with shrimp and grilled corn....of course some Evans to go along. Getting ready for the Vegas Race tonight.
JocoPack
ncsupack1 said:

Grabbed some ribeye yesterday, going grill those with shrimp and grilled corn....of course some Evans to go along. Getting ready for the Vegas Race tonight.

Man that sounds good. Wife is doing some chicken thighs tonight but I'll definitely be grilling some steaks this week.

Got to figure out the menu for the game this Saturday. Probably going to take the blackstone to the tailgate. I have a pretty good patty melt recipe that's not too hard to do.
Bell Tower Grey
Mrs. BTG is fixing shrimp and grits tonight. Overall, she's a very good cook, her mom and grandmother taught her well. But, I'd put her shrimp and grits up against any I've ever eaten anywhere. I'll pat myself on the back and say, "I done good", lol.

Grilling kebobs tomorrow night. Looking at the weather this week, I can see the grill being lit most every night this week....fall's on the way!
ncsupack1
Agree about this week and also fall coming.
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Mrs. BTG is fixing shrimp and grits tonight. Overall, she's a very good cook, her mom and grandmother taught her well. But, I'd put her shrimp and grits up against any I've ever eaten anywhere. I'll pat myself on the back and say, "I done good", lol.

Grilling kebobs tomorrow night. Looking at the weather this week, I can see the grill being lit most every night this week....fall's on the way!

Amen on the weather this week!
RedWhitePod
Need a tailgate recipe. Supposed to do a pig butt but I've already done one this year. Was thinking about smoking some chicken or turkey. Anyone have a rec?
RedWhiteNetwork.com
JocoPack
RedWhitePod said:

Need a tailgate recipe. Supposed to do a pig butt but I've already done one this year. Was thinking about smoking some chicken or turkey. Anyone have a rec?

How many people?
Bell Tower Grey
RedWhitePod said:

I've bought a filet before, cubed it up and used it for kebobs. Don't see them often at tailgates, but they make great tailgate grub.

As JoCo asked, how many people?
JocoPack
Yeah kebabs would be a great way to have a mix of different stuff.....now you got me thinking about doing the same.

RaW, what grill are you taking? Your Joe?
RedWhitePod
JocoPack said:

RedWhitePod said:

How many people?

RedWhiteNetwork.com
RedWhitePod
JocoPack said:

Yeah kebabs would be a great way to have a mix of different stuff.....now you got me thinking about doing the same.

Lol no way that thing weighs a ton! Not sure if I'll do it before hand or bring the portable Weber. Kebabs are a great idea though. Was also thinking some drumsticks
RedWhiteNetwork.com
JocoPack
RedWhitePod said:

JocoPack said:

Lol no way that thing weighs a ton! Not sure if I'll do it before hand or bring the portable Weber. Kebabs are a great idea though. Was also thinking some drumsticks

Lol man I was going to say...I know those things are crazy heavy.

I think kebabs might be the way to go here. I've done smoked turkey and chickens before but for 16 I'm not sure how you'll be looking for room.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

RedWhitePod said:

JocoPack said:

I think kebabs might be the way to go here. I've done smoked turkey and chickens before but for 16 I'm not sure how you'll be looking for room.
16 is a good number and overall, kebobs will be "simple" but something good and different for that large a crowd.

Something else my crowd loves is when I get the small cups of vanilla or chocolate Blue Bell Ice Cream for dessert. They come 10 or 12 to a bag. Just bury them at the bottom of the cooler under all the ice, then serve when ready. An unexpected treat. Again, finger type food. And simple.
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

JocoPack said:

RedWhitePod said:

JocoPack said:

16 is a good number and overall, kebobs will be "simple" but something good and different for that large a crowd.

Something else my crowd loves is when I get the small cups of vanilla or chocolate Blue Bell Ice Cream for dessert. They come 10 or 12 to a bag. Just bury them at the bottom of the cooler under all the ice, then serve when ready. An unexpected treat. Again, finger type food. And simple.

Man we get those ice creams all the time at the beach. Love those.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

JocoPack said:

RedWhitePod said:

JocoPack said:

Man we get those ice creams all the time at the beach. Love those.
FYI: Walgreen's carries them.
iwenc
If you want to feed the crowd and express school spirit at the same time, Howling Cow actually makes those little cups in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. They may cost a bit more than the grocery store brands, but hey, it's preservative free and it's Howling Cow! You even get the individually wrapped wooden spoons.

https://howlingcow.ncsu.edu/products/

Note- you can only pick this up on campus at Schaub Hall during the week, so this may not work for those of you who are out of town unless you know someone local who would be willing to help you out.
ncsupack1
Just got back from the Richmond Race. Easy day, with burgers and some jack later today...easy Sunday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.