All Things Food: Grilling / Smoking, Dining Out, Eating In, Etc.

10,788 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
^ Hope everything turned out nice....sounded good.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

^ Hope everything turned out nice....sounded good.
It did, thanks. Didn't take long for it to get gone.

Put the turkey on the grill at 4 am today. Won't be long before it's ready. Going old school with oyster dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce and sweet potato pie for today.

Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving. Eat well, friend.
ncsupack1
Wife is making some home made chili and I'm watching Army and Navy....having a few 420 IPAs....stopped at the ABC store yesterday and bought Maker's and Old Forester....didn't have Buffalo Trace...
Bell Tower Grey
Thought we might go eat oysters tonight, but with the weather so crappy and still fighting the crud we changed plans. Put some beef short ribs in the slow cooker and combined a bottle of Scott's sauce and Stubbs' original, and two sticks of butter and put over them. House is smelling pretty good right now. Have a pot of bbq boiled potatoes and wife is fixing Bunn's style cole slaw to go with it.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

Thought we might go eat oysters tonight, but with the weather so crappy and still fighting the crud we changed plans. Put some beef short ribs in the slow cooker and combined a bottle of Scott's sauce and Stubbs' original, and two sticks of butter and put over them. House is smelling pretty good right now. Have a pot of bbq boiled potatoes and wife is fixing Bunn's style cole slaw to go with it.
I love braised meats. It's not the same as smoked meat but if you don't try to make it a substitute and just enjoy it in its own right it's great.

They're easy and make the house smell great.

I picked up a peck of oysters and steamed them to celebrate our (away) win over the Cheats a couple of weeks ago. Ate probably 2/3 of them but took the leftovers and made a little batch of oyster stew for lunch that week. Nothing beats soups, stews, and chowders when it's chilly out!
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I love braised meats. It's not the same as smoked meat but if you don't try to make it a substitute and just enjoy it in its own right it's great.

They're easy and make the house smell great.

I picked up a peck of oysters and steamed them to celebrate our (away) win over the Cheats a couple of weeks ago. Ate probably 2/3 of them but took the leftovers and made a little batch of oyster stew for lunch that week. Nothing beats soups, stews, and chowders when it's chilly out!
Do you add sherry to your oyster stew?
Bell Tower Grey
Had enough beef left over from last night to use for tacos at lunch today. Made a nice stock with the bones that I'll freeze and use later.

Grandson turns 3 today, so they are coming over this evening to grill burgers and hot dogs.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

This was my first attempt at oyster stew; my clam chowder is dialed in but I'd never tried to make oyster stew.

I'll say, on my first attempt it looked nasty, smelled pretty good, and tasted pretty darn good but can definitely be improved upon. Did potato, onion, garlic, oregano, cayenne, butter, little lard, little cream, lots of salt and black pepper. I think I needed to use a more creamy base (I'm heavy on the half/half and heavy cream in my clam chowder but used more of a manhattan base in this oyster stew just to switch it up a little).

If nothing else, more cream would improve the presentation and make the base much whiter and less gray/green.

I assume you've used sherry and/or would recommend?
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

This was my first attempt at oyster stew; my clam chowder is dialed in but I'd never tried to make oyster stew.

I'll say, on my first attempt it looked nasty, smelled pretty good, and tasted pretty darn good but can definitely be improved upon. Did potato, onion, garlic, oregano, cayenne, butter, little lard, little cream, lots of salt and black pepper. I think I needed to use a more creamy base (I'm heavy on the half/half and heavy cream in my clam chowder but used more of a manhattan base in this oyster stew just to switch it up a little).

If nothing else, more cream would improve the presentation and make the base much whiter and less gray/green.

I assume you've used sherry and/or would recommend?
I keep mine simple.

Usually use whole milk, cream (pint or quart depending on how much I make), oysters and about 1/2 of the liquor they are in, one or two sticks of unsalted butter, a little bacon grease, white pepper to taste and a dash of salt. Sprinkle the serving with chopped bacon. I've added a teaspoon of sherry occasionally to each individual serving, but not all the time. Gives the flavor more depth. Don't add anything else to it. As I said, I keep mine simple.

I will have either oyster crackers or saltines to go with it if folks want them.
Bell Tower Grey
Stopped by the new Marty's BBQ in Wilson yesterday evening. Place just opened on Monday and the expected wait was in full force. However, the wait was well worth it.

Got a bbq sandwich, chicken wings and hush puppies and sweet tea. The bbq was nicely seasoned and didn't need anything else. Chicken was crispy fried with little grease. Hush puppies had a good flavor and the sweet tea was as expected.

While I did not get any banana pudding, several folks did and were raving about how good it is. I also saw that they are offering cajun style corn sticks in addition to regular ones. This will be added to the must sample list.

The place is small, and being new, still has some kinks to work out. Because there has been no more good bbq in Wilson until now, folks are pouring in. Give it two or three weeks to work itself out, and it will be a great place to eat.

If you're in / around Wilson, the place is on Ward Blvd. They have drive through service, but the line completely circled the building yesterday.
ncsupack1
Having a few Jack and Cokes tonight, dinner is home made pizza. Thinking of hitting Carolina Butcher Shop up tomorrow and see what they got for this weekend.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Having a few Jack and Cokes tonight, dinner is home made pizza. Thinking of hitting Carolina Butcher Shop up tomorrow and see what they got for this weekend.
Where is Carolina Butcher Shop?

Went to Brewmasters tonight. Had Meatlovers pizza and 2 Raven's Eye Imperial Stouts. Good stuff.
ncsupack1
^ its in Angier (sp). Good place.
Bell Tower Grey
Enjoyed homemade vegetable beef soup with a toasted ham and jalapeno pimento cheese sandwich. Good grub on a cool, yucky night.
ncsupack1
Enjoying the win today with Makers and Pepsi.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Smoked some rib eyes yesterday, turned out pretty good. Bought a case of Costco brand samplier of craft beer, not bad. Bacon, eggs, toast, and coffee this am, today is do nothing day.
What type of beer was in that Costo sampler?

Sorry late session IPA, kolsch German ale, pale ale, and IPA.
Thanks.

Got some bacon chopped up and put into ground beef for burgers tonight. Wife cut up potatoes for double fried fries. Simple and easy for Sunday night.
I've never tried this. Just finely chopped raw bacon mixed in with ground beef?

How does your wife do the double fried fries?

I'm hoping to fire up the grill this weekend and this sounds excellent.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

Enjoyed homemade vegetable beef soup with a toasted ham and jalapeno pimento cheese sandwich. Good grub on a cool, yucky night.

Toasted ham and spicy pimiento cheese sounds incredible. Homemade? Palmetto?
ncsupack1
Got the Ranger boat back from service today, enjoying Makers and about to grill some tilapia with asparagus. Hopefully the weather warms some...
wolfpack1437
ncsupack1 said:

Got the Ranger boat back from service today, enjoying Makers and about to grill some tilapia with asparagus. Hopefully the weather warms some...
Probably not the thread but where do you get yours serviced? Buying a 520c this week
ncsupack1
wolfpack1437 said:

ncsupack1 said:

Probably not the thread but where do you get yours serviced? Buying a 520c this week

I go to Collins out on 70 by Smithfield.
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Smoked some rib eyes yesterday, turned out pretty good. Bought a case of Costco brand samplier of craft beer, not bad. Bacon, eggs, toast, and coffee this am, today is do nothing day.
What type of beer was in that Costo sampler?

Sorry late session IPA, kolsch German ale, pale ale, and IPA.
Thanks.

Got some bacon chopped up and put into ground beef for burgers tonight. Wife cut up potatoes for double fried fries. Simple and easy for Sunday night.
I've never tried this. Just finely chopped raw bacon mixed in with ground beef?

How does your wife do the double fried fries?

I'm hoping to fire up the grill this weekend and this sounds excellent.

Sorry, just saw this. Been off the board a few days.

She cuts and dries the potatoes. Fries them first for about 3 or 4 minutes then takes them out of the oil. Drains the oil from them, then back into the fryer for another 4 or 5 minutes. Drained and salted before serving. If you like crispy fries then this is what you need to do.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.