All Things Food: Grilling / Smoking, Dining Out, Eating In, Etc.

10,711 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had a nice lunch with NeverQuit Packer and St8Rules at Hillsborough BBQ today, then stepped next door to Mystery Brewing Public House for a couple of beers. Great company, good food and cold beer. A nice way to spend a Friday afternoon.
ncsupack1
Sounds like a great time. Having a few Founders All Day IPA. Plan on smoking some ribs tomorrow, and finish off some Maker's. This weekend is about cooking out and drinking a few..
Bell Tower Grey
This will be on my menu one evening this week.

Calabash Style Shrimp (Courtesy of Our State magazine)

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Peanut oil, for frying
2 large eggs
1 cup canned evaporated milk or whole milk
1 cup self-rising flour
teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
teaspoon black pepper
2 pounds large or medium-size shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
Tartar sauce and cocktail sauce

Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches in a deep fryer or deep, heavy pot. Heat over medium-high heat until the temperature registers 375 on a deep-fry thermometer. Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain the oil at that temperature throughout the frying process.

Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl.

In a second shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and pepper.

Working in batches, coat the shrimp in the egg mixture, letting any excess drip away, and then coat lightly and evenly in the flour mixture.

Slip the shrimp into the hot oil, adding no more at one time than can float freely. Cook until the crust is crisp and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp. Transfer with a wire skimmer or slotted spoon to drain on paper towels or a brown paper bag. Sprinkle the piping hot shrimp with salt and serve at once with sauce on the side.

Serve with tartar sauce and/or cocktail sauce.
DirtPitPacker
I take your Brew N Que and raise you a Brew N Que in Cary, Bell Tower Grey . They had burnt ends today. Wings were awesome, too.
packgrad
I ate at Brew N Que today too. First time there.

My group had the chicken wings, pork q, and brisket. I tried everything.

I liked the rub on the wings. I would have liked a dipping sauce on the wings personally, although we didn't have one. The pork was very clean and lean. It had decent to good flavor. The bark didn't stand out at all to me. The smoke was subtle, a little too subtle for me. The brisket was tender, but still needed a knife to cut. The burnt ends were ok. I thought the flavor was pretty good, but I like a little variance in texture from the outside to the inside on the burnt ends, as their name entails. There was none. Flavor was still pretty good though. Mac n Cheese was good, although under seasoned. Collards were good.

For commercially cooked BBQ, I thought it was pretty good.

Overall, I'm glad we went there. I won't go out of my way to go back though. If I'm not eating my world class BBQ, ribs, or brisket, I'll probably stick to the Durham location of The Pit for high dollar BBQ. If I'm eating common folk BBQ, I'll continue to eat Backyard BBQ. If I'm eating drive thru BBQ, it will be Smithfields.
Bell Tower Grey
Going by the fish market to get some shrimp and try the calabash shrimp recipe for dinner tonight since I didn't get a chance to try it this weekend.
DirtPitPacker
In Winston Salem:

http://www.bibsdowntown.com/

Ribs & barbecue combo with green beans and hush puppies.
Bell Tower Grey
DirtPitPacker said:

In Winston Salem:

http://www.bibsdowntown.com/

Ribs & barbecue combo with green beans and hush puppies.

I have seen this place on one of the tv food shows but don't remember which one. The reviews I've read about it seem very good. Need to remember it next time we head that way.
ProtoWolf
Anyone recommend a good grill brush? I'd love an alternative to the cheap wire brushes that are sold everywhere.
Bell Tower Grey
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-grill-brushes?id=adw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIve6E-Ojt1QIVTTaBCh33bggwEAAYASAAEgJ5uPD_BwE

I've had 2 of the #4, Alpha Brush. Good product.

Bell Tower Grey
Had the butcher at the Pig cut a nice bone in ribeye for me, and 3 KC strips for the rest of us, to grill tonight.

Rubbed it down with a little oil, crushed rosemary, cracked black pepper and some fresh garlic. Looking forward to grilling this evening and watching the LLWS.
curmudgeon.zen
For yesterday's FFB draft party...

DirtPitPacker
curmudgeon.zen said:

That is some healthy looking green grass. Do you irrigate?
Bell Tower Grey
curmudgeon.zen said:

Those look great. How'd you sauce them and what sides did you use?
curmudgeon.zen
DirtPitPacker said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

That is some healthy looking green grass. Do you irrigate?

Rainwater and used beer
curmudgeon.zen
Bell Tower Grey said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

Those look great. How'd you sauce them and what sides did you use?
The womenfolk handle the sides...pretty standard fare...slaw, beans, etc.

I make my own sauce. It's a thin, vinegar-based sauce, just a little bit sweet, not unlike a typical Lexington-style sauce, but with a strong tangy element and some heat on the back end. Lots of crushed red pepper to keep the Eastern folks happy but just mild enough that the carpetbaggers can handle it.
DirtPitPacker

Ram ribs and Gamecock wings in the smoker.
Bell Tower Grey
DirtPitPacker said:

Ram ribs and Gamecock wings in the smoker.

Who knew you could cook? Wow.
ncsupack1
Smoked some rib eyes yesterday, turned out pretty good. Bought a case of Costco brand samplier of craft beer, not bad. Bacon, eggs, toast, and coffee this am, today is do nothing day.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Smoked some rib eyes yesterday, turned out pretty good. Bought a case of Costco brand samplier of craft beer, not bad. Bacon, eggs, toast, and coffee this am, today is do nothing day.
What type of beer was in that Costo sampler?
Bell Tower Grey
Got some wings rubbed down with bacon grease, then topped with a little brown sugar and crushed red pepper. Going to put them on the grill after while for tonight. Having bbq bread and fresh corn on the cob as sides.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Sorry late session IPA, kolsch German ale, pale ale, and IPA.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Thanks.

Got some bacon chopped up and put into ground beef for burgers tonight. Wife cut up potatoes for double fried fries. Simple and easy for Sunday night.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Thanks.

Got some bacon chopped up and put into ground beef for burgers tonight. Wife cut up potatoes for double fried fries. Simple and easy for Sunday night.
We went easy as well. Just some burgers on the weber, very nice day.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

ncsupack1 said:

Thanks.

We went easy as well. Just some burgers on the weber, very nice day.
Women...got ready to light the grill and wife decides she'd rather have tacos. Burgers will be cooked tonight.
ncsupack1
Having a lot of beers and smoking a whole chicken. Sides are what ever the wife comes home with. Go Pack!
Bell Tower Grey
Picking up a bushel of oysters on Thursday to steam over the weekend.
ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey said:

Picking up a bushel of oysters on Thursday to steam over the weekend.

Sounds great! Not sure what we are doing here, might pick up some ribeye to smoke.
Bell Tower Grey
Wife fixed a pot of chili on low simmer most all day yesterday that we will have this weekend. She's fixing chicken pastry, sweet potatoes, corn bread and a bourbon pecan pie for tonight.
ncsupack1
Thinking of hitting the butcher up tomorrow before the game and see what to grill, will pick up some bacon for Sunday breakfast. Having a few Makers tonight, good win tonight....now if football can follow
ncsupack1
Over did it yesterday between the football game, smoking chicken, and a lot of beers.....need to take a few days off....
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Over did it yesterday between the football game, smoking chicken, and a lot of beers.....need to take a few days off....
Hair of the dog, friend...take a big drink of Makers and get it going. You'll be fine.

Wife fixed nachos with beef and cheese for lunch. Enjoying a Backwoods Bas tard with them.
ncsupack1
Good point, made to the basketball game.
ncsupack1
Going all out today/night. Wife is making home made enchiladas with dip. Having a few friends over tonight as well, they will be bringing side dishes. Beer is already flowing. Go Pack!
Bell Tower Grey
Got a small (5 lb) pork roast on the smoker. Making a little bbq for tonight and tomorrow. Picked up corn sticks from Atkinson Mill to fry up with it, and wife is making her take on Bunn's coleslaw. Nice quiet Monday.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.