2024 MLB Draft

17,007 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by JCooke93
CLTWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Wake loses a portal guy to an UDFA contract with the Yankees. One site (64 Analytics) listed him as Wake's highest ranked portal kid (90th overall).
StateFan2001
CLTWolf said:

I believe I have made a comment or 2 about the NC talent and only being behind FL TX and CA. Another bit of evidence right here.
CLTWolf
StateFan2001 said:

CLTWolf said:

I believe I have made a comment or 2 about the NC talent and only being behind FL TX and CA. Another bit of evidence right here.
All this shows us is that we have some damn good college baseball programs in this state.

Only 19 of those 46 kids drafted "from" NC were actually from NC.

Only 3 HS kids from NC were drafted. To be fair, that's more about the changes to the draft over the years than anything.

5 "NC" kids were drafted in the first round and only Vance Honeycutt was actually from NC. Hell, 2 were from the state of PA.

NC does an amazing job of pumping out talent but it still lags behind Cal, FL, TX and GA, for sure.
Jtilley
Been on vacation this past week but followed everything.

Couple of thoughts:

How does rotation work out next year? To me, Dom almost feels like odd man out with the way his stuff backed up this past year and the emergence of the two lefty freshman. His stuff plays better out of the pen IMO without a true third pitch. Elliot is also a loyal dude with his returning guys so I wouldn't be shocked to see him stay in the rotation. Either way this is a good problem to have now with at least five-six guys who can potentially start.

Head making it to campus is big. I read some reports of concern about teams not thinking he would grow into more power and if he did fill out not more not being able to stay in center. Now he has a couple of years to prove that.

I was kind of worried a team might take a chance on Thompson late but glad that did not happen either.

Add another MIF and this is a deep team. Will be interesting to see how things shake out in the fall.

JCooke93
Sam Highfill To Philadelphia Phillies
SportManagementEngineer
Jtilley said:

Been on vacation this past week but followed everything.

Couple of thoughts:

How does rotation work out next year? To me, Dom almost feels like odd man out with the way his stuff backed up this past year and the emergence of the two lefty freshman. His stuff plays better out of the pen IMO without a true third pitch. Elliot is also a loyal dude with his returning guys so I wouldn't be shocked to see him stay in the rotation. Either way this is a good problem to have now with at least five-six guys who can potentially start.

Head making it to campus is big. I read some reports of concern about teams not thinking he would grow into more power and if he did fill out not more not being able to stay in center. Now he has a couple of years to prove that.

I was kind of worried a team might take a chance on Thompson late but glad that did not happen either.

Add another MIF and this is a deep team. Will be interesting to see how things shake out in the fall.
Really glad Thompson is making it to campus. His hitting and speed is going to be a game changer for this offense.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
JCooke93
100%
JCooke93
And if we get a SS and one more Bat
pbr1973
Yep
Wolfer79

The Mayor Philly

Congrats to @samhighfill11 for signing with the @Phillies!

CLTWolf

Nice lil chunk of change for Eli!
JCooke93
Let's Go Eli
Alex Gee
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Nice lil chunk of change for Eli!
Leverage!
CLTWolf
JCooke93
Ugh
FLWolf
DH
StateFan2001
FLWolf said:

DH

Maybe he would have transferred anyway but why the hell that dude wasn't playing 3B for us is a complete mystery.
matracey
StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

Maybe he would have transferred anyway but why the hell that dude wasn't playing 3B for us is a complete mystery.
Not really. He had 8 errors in 21 games in the field for us. That's abysmal. We tried him at 3B and at 1B. That was on a team that already struggled in the field and defense cost us games.

Good thing there is a spot in the lineup where you can have an amazing hitter hit in every game and don't have to worry about his defense costing you and that's exactly where he played the majority of the season.
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

I see why he did not go in the first round as many projected now. The A's floated him knowing they saved over a million with Kurtz.
JCooke93
Go Pack
FLWolf
he was leaving no matter what
JCooke93
And Miller is coming back to Duke for 1 more season
StateFan2001
matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

Not really. He had 8 errors in 21 games in the field for us. That's abysmal. We tried him at 3B and at 1B. That was on a team that already struggled in the field and defense cost us games.

Good thing there is a spot in the lineup where you can have an amazing hitter hit in every game and don't have to worry about his defense costing you and that's exactly where he played the majority of the season.

He did just fine playing 3B at National Champ LSU. Let's not forget the dude playing on the left side over him wasn't exactly a defensive wizard.
braz213
He hurt his shoulder diving for a ball at third. Missed a game or two. I don't remember him playing the field after that.
pack2010
StateFan2001 said:

matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

He did just fine playing 3B at National Champ LSU. Let's not forget the dude playing on the left side over him wasn't exactly a defensive wizard.

No he didn't. He had a .859 fielding % when LSU won the title last year. He was MUCH better this year, but lets not act like he was "fine", especially a season ago. If memory serves me right, that was the worst fielding percentage by a regular IF in the SEC last year.

Also, I don't dislike White like a lot of our fans do, he was so fun to watch in the box. But, facts are facts. He had a LOT of growth needed in the field. Good for him for having a nice year defensively this year
matracey
StateFan2001 said:

matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

No he didn't do just fine. He was actually way worse playing the field at LSU. They just had the luxury of being able to absorb a terrible defender because they were loaded with talent at almost every other position. State didn't have that luxury.
matracey
braz213 said:

He hurt his shoulder diving for a ball at third. Missed a game or two. I don't remember him playing the field after that.
Yeah this too. Goes to my previous post State couldn't afford for him to get hurt again playing the field because his bat was too valuable.
Jtilley
He isn't being drafted for his glove.

Absolute worst case with him is he is DH only who platoons vs lefties.

If he can stop chasing so much he has 30-40HR potential. Teams don't care if you can play in the field or not then.
wilmwolf
For something that happened so recently ago, the revisionist history on White is wild. Five more years and the story will be we ran off a gold glove third baseman. He stunk in the field, got hurt, and we played him in the best position for us to win games that year. Which is the goal, not to bend to the will of players families. He would've been welcomed back and I'm sure we would've done everything possible to play him in the field and improve him in that area, but he chose to bounce.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
StateFan2001
pack2010 said:

StateFan2001 said:

matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

No he didn't. He had a .859 fielding % when LSU won the title last year. He was MUCH better this year, but lets not act like he was "fine", especially a season ago. If memory serves me right, that was the worst fielding percentage by a regular IF in the SEC last year.

Also, I don't dislike White like a lot of our fans do, he was so fun to watch in the box. But, facts are facts. He had a LOT of growth needed in the field. Good for him for having a nice year defensively this year

Interesting that LsU let him grow but we weren't willing to do so. I would take a few extra errors for an elite bat like TW had. Not a regular dude.
PossumJenkins
StateFan2001 said:

pack2010 said:

StateFan2001 said:

matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

Interesting that LsU let him grow but we weren't willing to do so. I would take a few extra errors for an elite bat like TW had. Not a regular dude.
When you have 2-3 other bats in the lineup equal to TW's and then also roll out the number one overall pitcher throwing 100mph into the 9th once a weekend...you have that luxury. And to top it off I assume we were willing to do so...our bag wasn't the size of the one in Baton Rouge or even close for that matter.
Glasswolf
StateFan2001 said:

pack2010 said:

StateFan2001 said:

matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

We didn't have the bats and pitching that LSU put around him. Plus the NIL was a factor.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

CLTWolf
StateFan2001 said:

pack2010 said:

StateFan2001 said:

matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

We were willing to do so. He just didn't want to be here.

Keep trying tho.
CLTWolf
PossumJenkins said:

StateFan2001 said:

pack2010 said:

StateFan2001 said:

matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

When you have 2-3 other bats in the lineup equal to TW's and then also roll out the number one overall pitcher throwing 100mph into the 9th once a weekend...you have that luxury. And to top it off I assume we were willing to do so...our bag wasn't the size of the one in Baton Rouge or even close for that matter.
Jay Johnson doesn't care about defense. He had Jacob Berry at 3rd the year prior to Tommy and he could barely play dead over there but could tear the cover off the ball (sound familiar).

LSU's #2 was drafted 38th overall last year and their #3 was selected in the 3rd round this year.

Dylan Crews was also the best player in college baseball last year.
Alex Gee
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

pack2010 said:

StateFan2001 said:

matracey said:

StateFan2001 said:

FLWolf said:

DH

I promise you that TW did not leave NC State because Avent told him he wasn't going to play the field lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.