#Pack9 (32-19, 18-11) ACCT Pool C 5/22 VT (19-9 W) 5/23 Duke(1-8L)

16,109 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by Civilized
BigLefty24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

DecaturWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

It is 8-0 after six innings.

Assuming this result holds up, which isn't exactly a massive assumption, some thoughts:

1. NC State is still capable of reaching Omaha.

2. The hope from a Wolfpack point of view is shaking this off quickly.

3. While there are games ahead that can erase the sting from this, as of right now for me it is one of the more disappointing losses that NCSU has suffered. This team was absolutely good enough to win this competition. Myself and plenty of others thought they would win it.

Honestly, the fact that is Duke makes it more sickening. They are one of the few schools that NC State can bang with resource-wise in the ACC. This probably would have been NC State's toughest game in the tournament too. I don't think Miami on Saturday would have been a major issue.

4. Once again, the players will have to forget and move on quickly. It won't be easy. I am already having a problem doing it.
Nice post, Rob. I know the players can bounce back, but I'm numb.

Y'all are being a little dramatic here. This is just baseball. You're never more than one or two poorly pitched or unlucky innings away from disaster.

Having to go through 2 or 3 top 15 teams to win a single elimination format requires a lot of luck. We are plenty good enough to win this thing but so are five or six other schools.

That format alone would prevent me from ever thinking we "should" win it. Needing to win four with two or three tossup games in there against top-15 teams means at best any one team probably has a ~15% chance to take it, coming in.

Flush it and get ready to host.

Yup.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

tau06
BigLefty24 said:

Pack31 said:

BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

I remember 12 hours ago when we were arguing about which arms we'd have available on Sunday.

Avents decision to start Marohn yesterday very likely will end up preventing us from being a two seed in Knoxville, Columbia, or Greenville.

We are literally in the running for a top 8 seed. The regional was a lock last weekend.
no it wasn't..and any research on the internet will show you that. We were currently projected in the 12-14 range going into the tournament.. with multiple SEC teams and East Carolina (who has beaten us twice) this year primed to take our spot in the top 16. An 0-2 ACC tourney absolutely brought a regional two seed into play.

Ecu ain't taking anyone's spot. Blasted today and lost their ace this week. I'll take the 2 seed in their regional actually. There's a reason they NEVER advance past a regional. They play in a crap conference and play no one.

They beat our ass twice this year..lol. With a healthy staff, ECU can match up with anyone.

PS..they've advanced past the regional four of the past six years

Would love to have them in our regional. We would dust them. They were a weekday throw away game for us, we were their Super Bowl. We would treat them just like aTulane and Wichita State have recently. They have also never made it to Omaha if I'm remembering correctly.
Glasswolf
Huge play by Soles
Alex Gee
Staff
They have 6 hits. *shrug*
Alex Gee
Staff
tau06 said:

BigLefty24 said:

Pack31 said:

BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

I remember 12 hours ago when we were arguing about which arms we'd have available on Sunday.

Avents decision to start Marohn yesterday very likely will end up preventing us from being a two seed in Knoxville, Columbia, or Greenville.

We are literally in the running for a top 8 seed. The regional was a lock last weekend.
no it wasn't..and any research on the internet will show you that. We were currently projected in the 12-14 range going into the tournament.. with multiple SEC teams and East Carolina (who has beaten us twice) this year primed to take our spot in the top 16. An 0-2 ACC tourney absolutely brought a regional two seed into play.

Ecu ain't taking anyone's spot. Blasted today and lost their ace this week. I'll take the 2 seed in their regional actually. There's a reason they NEVER advance past a regional. They play in a crap conference and play no one.

They beat our ass twice this year..lol. With a healthy staff, ECU can match up with anyone.

PS..they've advanced past the regional four of the past six years

Would love to have them in our regional. We would dust them. They were a weekday throw away game for us, we were their Super Bowl. We would treat them just like aTulane and Wichita State have recently. They have also never made it to Omaha if I'm remembering correctly.

Zero. My favorite stat in college baseball
BigLefty24
Alex Gee said:

they've also got more home runs than we have hits..lol
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Slobbering_Wolf
Okay boys, 3 outs.....then 9 runs, easy peasy
Don't give up, don't ever give up-Jimmy V
Twitter: @jrouse84
tau06
BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

I don't know what internet you're using…but yes. It was. From robs article earlier today

I spoke with three people who write consistently about college baseball and delve into the bracketology on an annual basis. None thought losing two games and going home would keep NC State from hosting a regional. They all also felt that winning the ACC title with a loss to Virginia Tech would still be enough to move into a national seed. In that sense, the game truly was meaningless if you trust the opinions of insiders.

Three days ago before the start of conference tournent baseball..

Projected 11 seed by D1. An 0-2 loss definitely puts you in the conversation, especially with Wake looking to reclaim a top 16 with a strong showing. AT WORST, an 0-2 showing drops you down to a last host spot, which pairs you with going to fkkin Knoxville to face the top seeded Volunteers with 15K people singing Rocky Top every three pitches.

I'll take an 11 seed, paired with a winnable 6 seed Super Regional

Which is where we would have been at 0-2 or 1-1. Duke loss meant zero. VT loss would have dropped form 8-9 conversation to 11-12. D1 is a single outlet. But not worth arguing anymore
Alex Gee
Staff
BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

Yeah I know. About 4 and a half minutes are the difference ish in this one. Duke is well built for this park offensively and well built to beat us in a BO1 as a pitching staff
Glasswolf
Aaron Fitt was on after the Carolina game and said he felt State was a solid regional host and had potential to be a top 8 depending on the rest of the ACCT
Rob McLamb
Staff
Civilized said:

DecaturWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Assuming this result holds up, which isn't exactly a massive assumption, some thoughts:

3. While there are games ahead that can erase the sting from this, as of right now for me it is one of the more disappointing losses that NCSU has suffered. This team was absolutely good enough to win this competition. Myself and plenty of others thought they would win it.

Honestly, the fact that is Duke makes it more sickening. They are one of the few schools that NC State can bang with resource-wise in the ACC. This probably would have been NC State's toughest game in the tournament too. I don't think Miami on Saturday would have been a major issue.

4. Once again, the players will have to forget and move on quickly. It won't be easy. I am already having a problem doing it.

Y'all are being a little dramatic here. This is just baseball. You're never more than one or two poorly pitched or unlucky innings away from disaster.

Having to go through 2 or 3 top 15 teams to win a single elimination format requires a lot of luck. We are plenty good enough to win this thing but so are five or six other schools.

That format alone would prevent me from ever thinking we "should" win it. Needing to win four with two or three tossup games in there against top-15 teams means at best any one team probably has a ~15% chance to take it, coming in.

No dramatics at all. It is how I feel.

I don't place an ACC title above a CWS or even an appearance in the Supers, but the spirit of competition is such that you still want to win one at least every so often. I know if NC State did win it, plenty of folks would be rocking the tees that said "ACC champs" on them.

And, of course, they have to flush it. I thought I had addressed that in No. 2 and No. 4.

Virginia won the 2015 NCAA title. No one up there cares that NC State curb-stomped them in Durham in the conference tournament. Omaha is always the biggest prize.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
tau06
Should have pulled Sam earlier but they handled Duden, Consigllio and Smith they way they should tonight getting them work. Go have some time off and be ready to roll at the Doak next week to put some hurt on some baseballs
BigLefty24
Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

Yeah I know. About 4 and a half minutes are the difference ish in this one. Duke is well built for this park offensively and well built to beat us in a BO1 as a pitching staff

It is what it is..every game is a battle. All the momentum in the world can be stopped on a dime by a dude 60 feet away pitching his ass off. It's what makes baseball, and especially college baseball, great.

Flush it and move on. Goal now shifts to getting to the CWS.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

welppack
Disappointing, thought this might have been the team to finally break through. Love Avent and what he means to state, but starting to feel like he may retire as one of the state greats to never win a title
Civilized
Rob McLamb said:

Civilized said:

DecaturWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

I don't place an ACC title above a CWS or even an appearance in the Supers, but the spirit of competition is such that you still want to win one at least every so often. I know if NC State did win it, plenty of folks would be rocking the tees that said "ACC champs" on them.

And, of course, they have to flush it. I thought I had addressed that in No. 2 and No. 4.

Virginia won the 2015 NCAA title. No one up there cares that NC State curb-stomped them in Durham in the conference tournament. Omaha is always the biggest prize.

We all want those t-shirts, brother!!

Would slot into the rotation so nicely beside our 2024 b-ball ACC Champions and Final 4 T's!
Alex Gee
Staff
Get weird here. Why not
poexcuse
Rob McLamb said:

Civilized said:

DecaturWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Had a nice run lately but in baseball there are bad games. We have a lot of them in the conference tournament over the years. This is one you flush.
Rob McLamb
Staff
Civilized said:

Rob McLamb said:

Civilized said:

DecaturWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

We all want those t-shirts, brother!!

Would slot into the rotation so nicely beside our 2024 b-ball ACC Champions and Final 4 T's!
Avent winning an ACC and/or NCAA title, Wes Moore winning an NCAA title, and Dave Doeren winning an ACC title while also going to a major bowl.

Those are the final pieces to my NC State puzzle. I would love to see the Wolfpack achieve other things in other sports, but those are my top-5.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
Tomas93
I'll admit I would rather win an ACC baseball tourney than a regional. A CWS appearance is something else but in the first comparison...I just want to get over that damn hump!
Slobbering_Wolf
Hot damn a run!
Don't give up, don't ever give up-Jimmy V
Twitter: @jrouse84
Wilson
What a disappointment after all the series wins over the top teams.
metcalfmafia
We scored. I'll take the little win. Go win a CWS.
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

Get ready to see every left hander on Duke's staff

That is def the way to approach State.
cmast
Slobbering_Wolf said:

Okay boys, 3 outs.....then 9 runs, easy peasy

Playin mind games on debo.
Alex Gee
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Get ready to see every left hander on Duke's staff

That is def the way to approach State.

Yeah those were words out of Pollards mouth. Was a great gameplan.

It's also why I say that we are in a much better spot in a regional and BO3 setting especially if we are running counts the way we have been.
FLWolf
Baseball is like no other sport-you can lose by 8 and then come back and win a series. We lost to Ark by 20+ runs and came back and beat them in the Super Regional at Ark.

I would rather win a regional than the ACC tourney-especially in this format

Avett and Co have done a great job and we had our best pitcher and hitters going. The boys just didn't perform. I think we had the right mind set and were playing with great confidence heading into last night. That is a managers job more than anything.

We have the horses to make a serious run-show up in Raleigh next week!!
CoachCase
FLWolf said:

Baseball is like no other sport-you can lose by 8 and then come back and win a series. We lost to Ark by 20+ runs and came back and beat them in the Super Regional at Ark.

I would rather win a regional than the ACC tourney-especially in this format

Avett and Co have done a great job and we had our best pitcher and hitters going. The boys just didn't perform. I think we had the right mind set and were playing with great confidence heading into last night. That is a managers job more than anything.

We have the horses to make a serious run-show up in Raleigh next week!!
I agree with you 100% on all accounts except for the inability to win an ACC championship. Yes, the format sucks, but some team will always win it. Why not NC State?!? It has been over thirty years since the Pack has won it and we all know that Avent has not yet. Although, everyone that backs the Pack would love to win a regional or national championship I still would covet an ACC championship - especially in a year in which the league is regarded as one of the best. New season starts next week. Go Pack!
poexcuse
Baseball is fun sport but no team in ACC lives or dies with Baseball. We see MLB guys pass through our program and others. But how high a winning standard does an ACC AD hold a baseball coach to each year? We have not won the conference in Avent's long tenure. If we're honest, it is really not big deal for our athletic programs as a whole. I consider it a fluke as do the folks who run our athletics. It would be fun to do but we are not hanging our hat on winning the ACC in baseball tournament.
CLTWolf
poexcuse said:

Baseball is fun sport but no team in ACC lives or dies with Baseball. We see MLB guys pass through our program and others. But how high a winning standard does an ACC AD hold a baseball coach to each year? We have not won the conference in Avent's long tenure. If we're honest, it is really not big deal for our athletic programs as a whole. I consider it a fluke as do the folks who run our athletics. It would be fun to do but we are not hanging our hat on winning the ACC in baseball tournament.
You're entitled to your own opinion. This is how I feel about women's basketball. If we're honest, it is really not a big deal for our athletic programs as a whole. We're not hanging our hat on winning the ACC in women's basketball....except to those that like women's basketball (or baseball) and I can tell you that it is a huge deal for the athletic department, our AD and those that adore Coach Avent and the job he's done at NC State with the lack of support over the years.

Like I said, we're all entitled to our own opinions no matter how misguided and wrong they are. Just b/c you have an opinion doesn't mean you need to put it out there in the universe.

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Civilized
poexcuse said:

There's maybe one sport at each school that fans/admins/everybody lives and dies by.

If that's the standard then no need to have the other 20 programs that are still very important to a lot of students, athletes, parents, and alums.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.