#Pack9 (32-19, 18-11) ACCT Pool C 5/22 VT (19-9 W) 5/23 Duke(1-8L)

16,081 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by Civilized
PossumJenkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can tell you from 20 feet behind the plate…the ump did highfill zero favors tonight
BigLefty24
PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

I remember 12 hours ago when we were arguing about which arms we'd have available on Sunday.

Avents decision to start Marohn yesterday very likely will end up preventing us from being a two seed in Knoxville, Columbia, or Greenville.

We are literally in the running for a top 8 seed. The regional was a lock last weekend.
no it wasn't..and any research on the internet will show you that. We were currently projected in the 12-14 range going into the tournament.. with multiple SEC teams and East Carolina (who has beaten us twice) this year primed to take our spot in the top 16. An 0-2 ACC tourney absolutely brought a regional two seed into play.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

tau06
BigLefty24 said:

I remember 12 hours ago when we were arguing about which arms we'd have available on Sunday.

Avents decision to start Marohn yesterday very likely will end up preventing us from being a two seed in Knoxville, Columbia, or Greenville.

lol no. This team was hosting no matter if we went 2-0, 1-1, or 0-2
Skylitdrive
PossumJenkins said:

I can tell you from 20 feet behind the plate…the ump did highfill zero favors tonight
Are you the guy filming all the pitches?
lol
tau06
BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

We are literally in the running for a top 8 seed. The regional was a lock last weekend.
no it wasn't..and any research on the internet will show you that. We were currently projected in the 12-14 range going into the tournament.. with multiple SEC teams and East Carolina (who has beaten us twice) this year primed to take our spot in the top 16. An 0-2 ACC tourney absolutely brought a regional two seed into play.

Most I've seen today and on podcast had us 8-10. Each ain't doing nothing but dropping out of hosting
Slobbering_Wolf
Rob McLamb said:

It is 8-0 after six innings.

Assuming this result holds up, which isn't exactly a massive assumption, some thoughts:

1. NC State is still capable of reaching Omaha.

2. The hope from a Wolfpack point of view is shaking this off quickly.

3. While there are games ahead that can erase the sting from this, as of right now for me it is one of the more disappointing losses that NCSU has suffered. This team was absolutely good enough to win this competition. Myself and plenty of others thought they would win it.

Honestly, the fact that is Duke makes it more sickening. They are one of the few schools that NC State can bang with resource-wise in the ACC. This probably would have been NC State's toughest game in the tournament too. I don't think Miami on Saturday would have been a major issue.

4. Once again, the players will have to forget and move on quickly. It won't be easy. I am already having a problem doing it.

THIS.....we can be fans and still think this product on the field TONIGHT is crap.....we crapped the bed, oh well
Don't give up, don't ever give up-Jimmy V
Twitter: @jrouse84
SniderFC
PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

Doubt State gets a top 8 seed with 1-1 in the tourney. Regional is locked in for sure.
BigLefty24
tau06 said:

BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

Most I've seen today and on podcast had us 8-10. Each ain't doing nothing but dropping out of hosting

"today". After run ruling Va Tech last night. 0-2 in pool play brings an entirely different discussion into play.

Regardless, we won yesterday so it likely is a non-issue. Not worth debating over and over.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

PossumJenkins
BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

I don't know what internet you're using…but yes. It was. From robs article earlier today

I spoke with three people who write consistently about college baseball and delve into the bracketology on an annual basis. None thought losing two games and going home would keep NC State from hosting a regional. They all also felt that winning the ACC title with a loss to Virginia Tech would still be enough to move into a national seed. In that sense, the game truly was meaningless if you trust the opinions of insiders.
Alex Gee
Staff
ECU is dead after what they did today and what USC is doing
CLTWolf
Skylitdrive said:

PossumJenkins said:

lol

No, he's the guy trying to keep me from mean mouthing the ump all game. Maybe it's vice versa.

And Justin L Cooke just won a bat from the ACC. So that's cool.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
WilsonWolf
After tonight we've locked in a seed between 11-14. Not great
Alex Gee
Staff
Never say die and I believe till the end..

That said, our team is much better set up to win a regional or a weekend than a sudden death tournament like this essentially is.
Alex Gee
Staff
WilsonWolf said:

What's not great about that?
ClePack
WilsonWolf said:

Considering how this team started the acc year, this is great imo
cmast
Top 15 aint good enough. The new nc state *****
Skylitdrive
CLTWolf said:

Skylitdrive said:

PossumJenkins said:

lol

No, he's the guy trying to keep me from mean mouthing the ump all game. Maybe it's vice versa.

And Justin L Cooke just won a bat from the ACC. So that's cool.
Haha. Well I know how you roll so he's got his hands full lol.
Slobbering_Wolf
Alex Gee said:

That said, our team is much better set up to win a regional or a weekend than a sudden death tournament like this essentially is.

I worry about pitching depth though
WilsonWolf
Alex Gee said:

WilsonWolf said:

7-8 would've been better
gabeezzell04
Slobbering_Wolf said:

Alex Gee said:

Pitching depth is perfectly fine for a regional or super regional
DecaturWolf
Rob McLamb said:

Assuming this result holds up, which isn't exactly a massive assumption, some thoughts:

3. While there are games ahead that can erase the sting from this, as of right now for me it is one of the more disappointing losses that NCSU has suffered. This team was absolutely good enough to win this competition. Myself and plenty of others thought they would win it.

Honestly, the fact that is Duke makes it more sickening. They are one of the few schools that NC State can bang with resource-wise in the ACC. This probably would have been NC State's toughest game in the tournament too. I don't think Miami on Saturday would have been a major issue.

4. Once again, the players will have to forget and move on quickly. It won't be easy. I am already having a problem doing it.
Nice post, Rob. I know the players can bounce back, but I'm numb.
Posted for years as ColoradoWolf and Rick from Littleton. On Twitter as @espwapoujacmel
Glasswolf
Alex Gee said:

We did come back from 6 runs earlier this year to beat Duke so it can be done.
Alex Gee
Staff
Slobbering_Wolf said:

Alex Gee said:

The depth is exactly why we are better suited for a regional or BO3.
BigLefty24
PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

I don't know what internet you're using…but yes. It was. From robs article earlier today

I spoke with three people who write consistently about college baseball and delve into the bracketology on an annual basis. None thought losing two games and going home would keep NC State from hosting a regional. They all also felt that winning the ACC title with a loss to Virginia Tech would still be enough to move into a national seed. In that sense, the game truly was meaningless if you trust the opinions of insiders.

Three days ago before the start of conference tournent baseball..

Projected 11 seed by D1. An 0-2 loss definitely puts you in the conversation, especially with Wake looking to reclaim a top 16 with a strong showing. AT WORST, an 0-2 showing drops you down to a last host spot, which pairs you with going to fkkin Knoxville to face the top seeded Volunteers with 15K people singing Rocky Top every three pitches.

I'll take an 11 seed, paired with a winnable 6 seed Super Regional

@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Alex Gee
Staff
WilsonWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

WilsonWolf said:

7-8 would've been better

Well yeah haha. But 11-14 is pretty damn good and gives you a great chance to host a super.
Pack31
BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

Ecu ain't taking anyone's spot. Blasted today and lost their ace this week. I'll take the 2 seed in their regional actually. There's a reason they NEVER advance past a regional. They play in a crap conference and play no one.
BigLefty24
Alex Gee said:

WilsonWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

WilsonWolf said:

7-8 would've been better

Well yeah haha. But 11-14 is pretty damn good and gives you a great chance to host a super.

and youre paired with a national seed that is completely winnable from a Super Regional standpoint
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Pack31
WilsonWolf said:

Better than 10 days ago
65Pack
For the ones of us who have played competitively this is why you never throw away any game because nothing is guaranteed. Most of y'all wanted to actually play to lose against VT to save pitching… good thing that didn't happen
BigLefty24
Pack31 said:

BigLefty24 said:

PossumJenkins said:

BigLefty24 said:

Ecu ain't taking anyone's spot. Blasted today and lost their ace this week. I'll take the 2 seed in their regional actually. There's a reason they NEVER advance past a regional. They play in a crap conference and play no one.

They beat our ass twice this year..lol. With a healthy staff, ECU can match up with anyone.

PS..they've advanced past the regional four of the past six years
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Pack31
WilsonWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

WilsonWolf said:

7-8 would've been better

So would 1 or 2. You watch us play 2 months ago. 11-14 is great imo
Glasswolf
65Pack said:

For the ones of us who have played competitively this is why you never throw away any game because nothing is guaranteed. Most of y'all wanted to actually play to lose against VT to save pitching… good thing that didn't happen
Nobody wanted us to lose to VT. They wanted us to use arms that wouldn't be needed if we advanced past tonight.
Slobbering_Wolf
I'd love to see us put up some kind of fight and not get run ruled, and maybe even score a run
Civilized
DecaturWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Nice post, Rob. I know the players can bounce back, but I'm numb.

Y'all are being a little dramatic here. This is just baseball. You're never more than one or two poorly pitched or unlucky innings away from disaster.

Having to go through 2 or 3 top 15 teams to win a single elimination format requires a lot of luck. We are plenty good enough to win this thing but so are five or six other schools.

That format alone would prevent me from ever thinking we "should" win it. Needing to win four with two or three tossup games in there against top-15 teams means at best any one team probably has a ~15% chance to take it, coming in.

Flush it and get ready to host.
WilsonWolf
Alex Gee said:

WilsonWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

WilsonWolf said:

7-8 would've been better

Just win this dame game

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.