ACC Tournament in Charlotte (Pack9 Eliminated)

34,752 Views | 374 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by toddl
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

BigLefty24 said:

Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

No idea why Marohn threw any pitches. Truly no idea why he threw 80 some pitches. Absolutely no idea why he threw any pitches after 10 runs?!

So excited for Sunday when we need one more arm for a title and he can't go

he could absolutely throw Sunday if needed.

Not nearly to the effectiveness that would've been nice to have available.

How great was it last week to hand him the ball against wake to win a damn series for 4 innings and 60 pitches? That's out the door, man. If we get to Sunday and are spent on arms it's going to be so damn frustrating

He'd have three full days of rest after only throwing 80 pitches. It's a glorified bullpen session which he's done all year. MLB dudes make full starts in the postseason on three days rest. If I were Avent, I woulda pulled him an inning earlier to save 15 pitches or so, but 1-2 innings on Sunday is completely doable.

He's done it twice. BC and ND. 2.2 innings, 6 hits, 2 walks.

40 is a glorified bullpen. 82 in a tournament is not

40 pitches on Sunday is a glorified bullpen, which is my point. It's completely doable. 2 innings of history this season doesn't mean squat.

I can only imagine the outcry if Avent had trotted out some no name dude tonight and we got beat by Va Tech.. then followed up that with a loss to a really good Duke team. 0-2 in pool play and losing a chance to host a regional . Folks would have lost their mind.

So what's the outcry when we are 3 innings short on Sunday and get a 9 seed instead of an 8 and miss out on another title?

Dude calm down. We have enough arms to get through 3 games without Marohn.

How many times did we do that in the acc?

I can not believe it's controversial to want to have Marohn fresh for 4 innings!

It isn't, but there's nothing to be done about it at this point. The format of this tournament causes these same arguments every year. The primary reason I dislike it so much. If we had thrown a bullpen day like I wanted and won 18-17, or lost, we'd be having arguments in the other direction. It takes the fun out of it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wilmwolf
CLTWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

He could absolutely be effective for a couple of innings.

We have evidence. He's done it twice in conference off a midweek start. Both bad appearances against bad teams.

So it could never happen because of those two examples? Kid's talented. I think he could rise to the occasion.

Yeah that would be great. Trust me, there's not a higher state baseball fan/optimist around than me.

This was idiotic. You can remove hope from the equation if he throws 40 pitches.

Cool. A lot of people here love State. Also already said I thought he went too long.

That's not what I said ha. You only love the hitters up to Cozart though lol.

Stand by it. Like Butterworth as a 7-hole guy, certainly not 5. He's hitting .230. I love Luke. Sosa's going to be a stud, and he's coming on but isn't there yet. Don't really like what Chase brings. Soles was hurt, but the reality is he's hitting .220. So, yea, that 5-9 feels like too much of a dropoff for me from the top half. They're getting better though, and there's a lot of potential with Sosa and Luke.

There it is!
Butters is hitting .304 over the last month, Sosa is hitting .375 in that same timeframe and both have hit 4 bombs. Just some data for the counting stat fanatics out there.

Soles gets on base a ton with 9 BBs and getting hit by 4 pitches as well since he's come back from surgery. He might be hitting .220 but he gets on base more than just about anyone else on team since he's come back earlier this month and when he gets on base he's scoring almost 40% of the time. Get on base, score runs. Seems important to me.

In the no biggest no sht comment of the day, batting average doesn't tell anything close to the whole story.

But this is a helluva argument after scoring 19 runs and that part of the lineup going 7-23 on the night. ha

It's why you can't look at the season long statistics and say we aren't a national contender right now. A guy having an 0-37 streak a month ago that tanked his BA doesn't really define how Sosa is playing right now. Stats are cool, but we get too caught up in them sometimes, particularly in baseball.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Civilized
boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

Alex Gee said:

boguesound said:

He could absolutely be effective for a couple of innings.

We have evidence. He's done it twice in conference off a midweek start. Both bad appearances against bad teams.

So it could never happen because of those two examples? Kid's talented. I think he could rise to the occasion.

Yeah that would be great. Trust me, there's not a higher state baseball fan/optimist around than me.

This was idiotic. You can remove hope from the equation if he throws 40 pitches.

Cool. A lot of people here love State. Also already said I thought he went too long.

That's not what I said ha. You only love the hitters up to Cozart though lol.

Stand by it. Like Butterworth as a 7-hole guy, certainly not 5. He's hitting .230. I love Luke. Sosa's going to be a stud, and he's coming on but isn't there yet. Don't really like what Chase brings. Soles was hurt, but the reality is he's hitting .220. So, yea, that 5-9 feels like too much of a dropoff for me from the top half. They're getting better though, and there's a lot of potential with Sosa and Luke.

There it is!

Sure is

Why are we still taking about batting averages like it's 1989?

Run production matters, and so do trends.

For several of these guys at the bottom of the order their season batting average doesn't tell the story nearly fully enough. They've got pop, and they're hitting better now than they were early.

I'd love to know where to find BABIP, barrel rate, exit velo, contact rate type stats for college guys. Based on what my eyes tell me, the bottom of our order would look a lot better than a simple batting average observation would indicate when you look at their advanced metrics especially over the last half or third of the season.
FLWolf
Marohn can throw some Sunday as that would be a bullpen day for him - Avent felt winning yesterday locked up a top 16 position

The difference between 80 and 60 pitches yesterday is not a difference-

Worry about Sunday when you get there

PB13
Looks like there may be a thunder storm rolling through around 7/8pm. Hopefully it doesn't impact our pitching rotation tonight.
grandpack1
some people just want to be negative about anything it's in their makeup as i said i would have forfeited yesterday myself but i sure loved watching my guys last night putting an akicking on va tech all of a sudden i realized that game did matter to me for whatever reason and i loved watching our guys
Civilized
Yesterday's game was mathematically meaningless but sports aren't that simple.

Rationally you can say a loss wouldn't have mattered but you can't convince me we aren't in a better headspace today having pitched well and putting a bunch of balls on bats and rolling VT last night.
metcalfmafia
Wish Ethan posted on the baseball board

Wolfer79
Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Tournament
Pool Play
Round Robin, Truist Field, Charlotte, NC
Clemson vs. Miami (FL) ACC Network, 11 a.m.
North Carolina vs. Pittsburgh ACC Network, 3 p.m.
Duke North Carolina State ACC Network, 7 p.m.
CoachCase
Bottom line: win today and advance! One game at a time. Go Pack!
StateFan2001
FLWolf said:

Marohn can throw some Sunday as that would be a bullpen day for him - Avent felt winning yesterday locked up a top 16 position

The difference between 80 and 60 pitches yesterday is not a difference-

Worry about Sunday when you get there

I would disagree with that. There is a significant difference in 60 and 80. I don't think there is anyway we see Marohn if we make it to Sunday. 80+ is a full start. Can't see us bringing a freshman arm back on Sunday after throwing that many pitches.
PossumJenkins
metcalfmafia said:

Cool…2021 was eerily similar too. Beat Pitt who beat UNC early and played a meaningless game on a Friday night against UNC. Threw the bullpen. Made it to the championship game and Willy threw. 1-0 loss to Duke and should have sent the runner. I think we made it to Omaha that year too right?
StateFan2001
metcalfmafia said:

Completely agree with this. When you are as hot as we are you keep riding that momentum. Don't worry about saving some arm that may or may not even factor in the weekend. Baseball can be a funny game. Don't mess with the mojo.
metcalfmafia
I'll drop the subject. There is no changing anyone's mind on either side. Would love to discuss the game tonight.
Civilized
Same, and I'll just add that we can all readily agree that we hope this topic is relevant Sunday because that means we're playing for a championship.
metcalfmafia
Civilized said:

Same, and I'll just add that we can all readily agree that we hope this topic is relevant Sunday because that means we're playing for a championship.
Absolutely!
FLWolf
I pitched my whole life and 1 year of college and 20 pitch difference is minimal.

Those were low stress innings also. My arm would feel fine throwing 80 pitches over 5 inning vs throwing 50 pitches over 2-3 high pitch count innings. Every arm and style is different.

He is throwing a bullpen session Sunday if we don't play.
Travlnwolf
Good game last night. The weather was great. Not a large crowd, but it was 95% red and white.

It seemed like a midweek game, albeit one the Pack won. So, the Pack is set up for their weekend rotation with any tweaks Avent wants to make.

I was impressed by the hitting, especially the top of the order. Also I was impressed by the way the team greeted the pitchers when they left the game. It appears they have great chemistry.

The stadium is nice, although I could do without ballpark prices. That's the most I've paid for a beer outside of SFO.

We bought a parking pass and stayed to the end. So getting out was easy.

(Just MHO, coaches often say each team is different, and Avent is a better coach than he was even five years ago. So don't dwell on the past. As with basketball, just enjoy the ride. They're a fun team to watch)
MoCoWolf
I always forget that May is "Internet baseball expert" season...that train is never late
ParrT
Anyone know what dugout we are in tonight? I assume first base side since we are the home team.
Rob McLamb
Staff
ParrT said:

Anyone know what dugout we are in tonight? I assume first base side since we are the home team.

I think it would be the third base side since that is where Virginia Tech was last night. That is a guess. I don't know yet for sure.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
griff17matt
MoCoWolf said:

I always forget that May is "Internet baseball expert" season...that train is never late

Everyone knows early April is where it's at
pack2010
Just a FYI, the winner of Miami/Clemson going on right now plays the winner of Duke/NCSU in the semis if anyone is interested. not trying to look ahead, just informing
Glasswolf
Rob McLamb said:

ParrT said:

I think it would be the third base side since that is where Virginia Tech was last night. That is a guess. I don't know yet for sure.
3rd base side is home team
ParrT
Thanks for the update. Though it seems odd since the Knights are always in the 1st base dugout with the nicer locker room. I think I'll be opting for seats in the shade on the first base side.
James Henderson
Staff
Loved getting Marohn that type of start/experience. Need him going forward as a starter and having his confidence high is ideal.

He pitched 9 innings in ACC play. If you need him to win 3 games this weekend then my issue will probably be somewhere else.
StateFan2001
FLWolf said:

I pitched my whole life and 1 year of college and 20 pitch difference is minimal.

Those were low stress innings also. My arm would feel fine throwing 80 pitches over 5 inning vs throwing 50 pitches over 2-3 high pitch count innings. Every arm and style is different.

He is throwing a bullpen session Sunday if we don't play.

A 15 -20 pitch pen is different than preparing to pitch which basically is the 20 pitch pen and then going in and throwing another 30-40 pitches. I can tell you if I was his family I would not want him pitching on Sunday unless it was 1 inning to win a championship.
I have a son who is a 4A HS pitcher so I have a pretty good feel for arm care and how they generally respond. At this point in the season he is pretty built up so his arm will probably feel 'ok' but it doesn't mean he should be pitching coming off 80 some on Wednesday.
StateFan2001
James Henderson said:

Loved getting Marohn that type of start/experience. Need him going forward as a starter and having his confidence high is ideal.

He pitched 9 innings in ACC play. If you need him to win 3 games this weekend then my issue will probably be somewhere else.

Agree
Alex Gee
Staff
James Henderson said:

My counter is and will always be that it would have probably been nice for him to have been available to throw more innings in ACC play. The one weekend he could provide length we swept a top 10 team. Full stable to win a title sure would be nice, which I know you want more than anything in any sport.

Still think State wins this thing and for some reason now folks seem to think I'm the angry, mad State fan lol. Boro might disagree with that
James Henderson
Staff
Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

My counter is and will always be that it would have probably been nice for him to have been available to throw more innings in ACC play. The one weekend he could provide length we swept a top 10 team. Full stable to win a title sure would be nice, which I know you want more than anything in any sport.

Still think State wins this thing and for some reason now folks seem to think I'm the angry, mad State fan lol. Boro might disagree with that
Oh I agree, I just think State feels they should have enough arms IF they make it to Sunday to make sure Marohn gets this experience.

We were texting last night, we won a 3-game series vs. Duke without an inning from Marohn, Van Dam, or Consiglio LOL

I just can't see myself being mad Sunday we don't have Marohn available given we've yet to see Highfill, Fritton, Whitaker, Consiglio, Dudan, Smith, Shaffner, etc...
Alex Gee
Staff
James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Oh I agree, I just think State feels they should have enough arms IF they make it to Sunday to make sure Marohn gets this experience.

We were texting last night, we won a 3-game series vs. Duke without an inning from Marohn, Van Dam, or Consiglio LOL

I just can't see myself being mad Sunday we don't have Marohn available given we've yet to see Highfill, Fritton, Whitaker, Consiglio, Dudan, Smith, Shaffner, etc...
This isn't a win the series scenario anymore. Gotta win 3 in a row. And still think we do, just managed much differently than these other weekends.

A lot of angry folks on Sunday's this year ha.

ETA: The world would cripple if they had access to the IPS baseball chain.
Civilized
Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

This isn't a win the series scenario anymore. Gotta win 3 in a row. And still think we do, just managed much differently than these other weekends.

Hey Alex, who gets the most aggro on the IPS Pack9 chain?
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

College baseball is about regional supers and Omaha. If the league wants teams and fans to care about this tournament then change the format and make it a true championship. This format is a joke and the teams largely treat it that way. Nobody is going after this event at any expense at all for the regional.
Tbis team needs wins in the win column due to being short of them from mid week. Last night was another opportunity to notch in the W column. To try and get a top 8 they need all wins.
Alex Gee
Staff
Civilized said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Hey Alex, who gets the most aggro on the IPS Pack9 chain?

I try to mediate. Ethan and James go nuts . It's a fun place lol.

(Nobody goes nuts)
Alex Gee
Staff
Miami needing 3 more outs. Just created some insurance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.