#Pack9 (18-7, 8-4) vs East Carolina 4/2 (4-12 loss)

4,037 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Pack31
Lsnoel3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Explain to me how pitcher after pitcher can't throw strikes consistently.

61 strikeouts to 21 walks in last 6 conference games in which we are 5-1, dude.

We walked 3 guys tonight. They had some timely hits and we didn't. That's the college game

Last 2 weekend was fine. But more walks and hit batters than strikeouts and throw in 13 hits ain't going to beat nobody.
Alex Gee
Staff
Lsnoel3 said:

Alex Gee said:

Lsnoel3 said:

We walked 3 guys tonight. They had some timely hits and we didn't. That's the college game

Last 2 weekend was fine. But more walks and hit batters than strikeouts and throw in 13 hits ain't going to beat nobody.

I love overreacting to mid weeks!
sharpman1017
I'm not going to overreact to a mid week but I was at the game tonight and it was some of the worst baseball I've seen in awhile. Middle infielders errors led to 5 runs alone, bats were dead, guys seemed flat. Just a disappointing showing against a rival. Especially tough to have that showing considering we have to go on the road to Louisville this weekend
stategrad06
I've been on a real over reacting mental bender the last hour or so - but stepping back - I'll make a few comments/observations -

1. We can hit - sometimes you just don't - and we didn't tonight.
2. Sosa, while very talented, isn't seeing the ball well right now. Midweek games are sometimes where guys iron that out - unfortunately he's stuck in the middle of it it would seem.
3. 3 ugly errors - Butter got a really bad hop off a lip - other two you just call them what they were - bad - Luke with a 6 hopper - and Cozart on one he about could have rolled it to first he had him hung so bad.
4. As far as pitch calling - I don't like you bring in a guy throwing 95-96 (Smith tonight) and throw two breaking balls first two pitches - if you are coming out of the pen - you have to be able to get ahead of guys in counts - I'd assume most guys most likely pitch to throw for a strike is fastball - so it's inexplicable to me - especially when it's 96 - get ahead of guys! Lot easier to pitch to when ahead in counts. Everything plays up ahead in counts.
5. Midweek games always wonky. ECU played for blood. Hit and run up 10-2, took off to steal up 12-2, threw what may be an All American reliever up 10-2 - they played to win.
6. A lot of people - even ECU fans - have a love hate relationship with Cliff - I love the style they play - they bunt - they run the bases - they hit and run - and they play elite defense (12th in nation before tonight) - the 2 errors they made were on some weirdly played balls - but they made a few exceptional plays - it's an older school brand of baseball - and I enjoy it.
7. We are 8-4 in conference play - the weekend series at Louisville matters way more than a midweek although it sucks to get dominated by an in state rival.
8. I thought Marohn was good - didn't dodge bullets a couple times with 2 outs - but it happens sometimes.
9. We were way more in the zone early in the game than we were early in season - I feel like that message is being preached.
10. Our lineup is mighty left handed - I like LHH - but almost feel like we gotta recruit some RHH too just to be able to shake the lineup card up some - their starter was nothing special - a "once through the lineup guy - but when he gets to go lefty on lefty to 6 straight guys after AMak - that probably helped him be even more comfortable with his "junking it up" attack to hitters.

ChemE94
Alex Gee said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Alex Gee said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Multiple things can be true at the same time. This game was an absolute steaming turd. Does it hurt us moving through the acc, no, but a midweek win against a ranked in state opponent and a team I loathe would have looked nice on the resume at the end of the season. Does it mean we are a bad team, no, but we got beat in every single phase last night. It happens…
Wolfer79
The No. 19 NC State baseball team dropped its midweek matchup 12-4 to No. 12 East Carolina on Tuesday night at Doak Field at Dail Park.

East Carolina (21-6) snapped its eight-game losing streak to NC State (18-8) in Raleigh, notching its first win at Doak Field since 2009. The Wolfpack left 10 runners on base in Tuesday's setback.

ECU struck first with two runs in the top of the second. Dixon Williams' two-out, two-RBI single helped the Pirates build an early 2-0 advantage.

The Pirates doubled their lead with two runs in the third. Ryan McCrystal's sacrifice bunt brought home Carter Cunningham from third to make it 3-0 before a fielding error with two outs allowed Jacob Starling to extend ECU's lead to 4-0.

NC State loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the fifth, but the Wolfpack could not push its first run across as ECU shortstop Joey Berini snared Brandon Butterworth's line drive to leave three runners stranded. Josh Hogue walked to open the inning before Eli Serrano III singled and Luke Nixon was hit by a pitch with two outs to put three runners on.

East Carolina again capitalized on a Wolfpack error, scoring all three runs in the sixth inning with two outs after a fielding error extended the frame. One pitch after Ryley Johnson reached via an error, Cunningham launched a two-run homer to right field to make it 7-0.

The Pirates added two more runs in the seventh to push the score to 9-0. The Wolfpack answered ECU's two-spot in the seventh with two runs in the bottom half to bring the score to 9-2. East Carolina scored three runs in the top of the eighth to push the score to 12-2.

Jacob Cozart's two-out, two-RBI single in the bottom of the ninth pushed the score to its final tally at 12-4.

Ryan Marohn (2-1) suffered the first loss of his college career after allowing three earned runs over 4.1 innings pitched. ECU's Danny Beal (3-1) earned the win after tossing 2.1 scoreless frames with two strikeouts.

UP NEXT
NC State opens a season-long seven-game road stretch with an ACC series at Louisville. This weekend's series starts Friday at 6 p.m. and will be streamed live on ACC Network Extra.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/4/2/baseball-19-wolfpack-falls-to-12-east-carolina-on-tuesday
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Alex Gee said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Honestly, I've grown to kinda hate mid week games against in state opponents. This game meant a lot to ECU, as evidenced by the number of their fans in NC State season ticket holder seats, and they are a really good team. I wish the game had been more competitive, but there's always a point we teach where we can't risk hurting our upcoming weekend series to win this game, and that means asking guys who you don't normally count on to get outs. It wasn't much fun to watch, and that stinks, just got to flush it
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Alex Gee
Staff
ChemE94 said:

Alex Gee said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Alex Gee said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Multiple things can be true at the same time. This game was an absolute steaming turd. Does it hurt us moving through the acc, no, but a midweek win against a ranked in state opponent and a team I loathe would have looked nice on the resume at the end of the season. Does it mean we are a bad team, no, but we got beat in every single phase last night. It happens…
I'm with you. We got smoked. I just.. don't care? The NCAA has shown they don't care about midweeks. Darn near everybody loses multiple a year to unranked schools. We lost to ECU who knew this was their last chance to build on their RPI and threw All-American candidates for extended appearances.

I mostly take issue with the defeatist mindset that shows up after baseball losses specifically. This team is really freaking good and would beat ECU in a regional setting. Our pitching is significantly better, but we whine about it constantly. I get tired of it and would encourage folks to reevaluate mindsets a little bit. It makes watching games more fun.
Lsnoel3
For the record, son, I have been watching and supporting the Wolfpack athletics program including baseball for longer than you have been alive and I rarely if ever come on and criticize teams or coaches. But last night and several other games this year have been frustrating to watch the lack of control, leading to "timely" hitting and everything else.

So last night I said one thing and you jumped down my throat and called me dude. Get over yourself. This is first time a moderator has pissed me off. Remember, people like me but money into these programs, and this site, and once in a while can say something negative.

Have a good day.
wilmwolf
This is the second time in a week I've seen someone get insulted over being called dude.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Alex Gee
Staff
Lsnoel3 said:

For the record, son, I have been watching and supporting the Wolfpack athletics program including baseball for longer than you have been alive and I rarely if ever come on and criticize teams or coaches. But last night and several other games this year have been frustrating to watch the lack of control, leading to "timely" hitting and everything else.

So last night I said one thing and you jumped down my throat and called me dude. Get over yourself. This is first time a moderator has pissed me off. Remember, people like me but money into these programs, and this site, and once in a while can say something negative.

Have a good day.
Borowolf10
Lsnoel3 said:

Have a good day.

Amen, dude thinks he's the board opinion police.
Alex Gee
Staff
Borowolf10 said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Have a good day.

Everyone on here is entitled to their opinions, it's a message board lol. If I disagree with you, again on a message board, I'm going to share why and what I base that disagreement on.
Pack31
Borowolf10 said:

Lsnoel3 said:

Have a good day.

Haha. I'm pretty sure Alex and this loaded program supporter both gave their opinions. He's mad because Alex disagrees? Ok

And my opinion is that far off from his. I'm. I'm not overreacting and there's a TON of baseball left to play, but I think Crysler should have been let go after last season. My theory is lack of pitcher development. We have 1 or 2 maybe each season, but the pitching overall hasn't been good for a while. Of course Walledson being done hasn't helped either. I'd have preferred a fresh start and possible different philosophy. JMO
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.