#Pack9 vs Towson 3/1-3 (6-5 W, 15-4W(7), 10-0W(7)) 14-4W (7))

13,838 Views | 220 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Wolfer79
Jtilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

I think they hit one ball hard. People don't always want to hear it, but there was some fluke stuff for Towson in this one.
Very fluky game that was impacted a lot by the wind and choppers.

Pennington hit a ball with 106 exit velo that would be a home run 99 out of 100 times that the wind just killed.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
tau06
Slobbering_Wolf said:

Y'all can grill me all you want to, but AT THIS MOMENT.....we are not a good baseball team.....we just aren't

Record(and eye test) says otherwise. Lot of talent on this squad.
Packfanme1
So, what happened to Sosa? Where is he?
Jesus, Family, Wolfpack!
captain
Sanders said Sosa is sick
Alex Gee
Staff
He might be getting Pipped!
Glasswolf
Packfanme1 said:

Couple of guys along with Sosa have been sick
Wolfer79
Packfanme1 said:

NC State's catching depth took a toll. Jacob Cozart rested Friday "nursing a groin," while highly-touted freshman Alex Sosa is "on the mend" from mono.

R-Fr. C Drew Lanphere stepped up with a walk-off hit in the 6-5 win over Towson.

kbdavis33
I'm not trying to rain on the parade…but can someone give me the low down on what's going on?

The record is fine, but these have mostly all been pretty tight contests and feel like we're allowing a lot of hits.

Is it just early season and we're working on rotations and finding which arms are gonna work for us come conference play? Just not playing well?

Had been a rocky start, but winning is still good
Alex Gee
Staff
kbdavis33 said:

I'm not trying to rain on the parade…but can someone give me the low down on what's going on?

The record is fine, but these have mostly all been pretty tight contests and feel like we're allowing a lot of hits.

Is it just early season and we're working on rotations and finding which arms are gonna work for us come conference play? Just not playing well?

They legitimately had one hard hit ball today. This box score lies.

This isn't directed at you, but a good opportunity to say this: Teams struggle around college baseball. There are only 5 undefeated teams left. There have been some horrible performances by great teams in both wins and in losses so far this year. Weekends and midweeks.

We are going to be more than fine. We've had 4 freshman start in the lineup so far and 7 freshman have pitched. Paid that with 4 hitters moving up a level/conference and there's going to be some slop. This is easily the most talented team we've had since 2021. Different types of talent, but they have a real shot to make a bunch of noise.
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

kbdavis33 said:

They legitimately had one hard hit ball today. This box score lies.

This isn't directed at you, but a good opportunity to say this: Teams struggle around college baseball. There are only 5 undefeated teams left. There have been some horrible performances by great teams in both wins and in losses so far this year. Weekends and midweeks.

We are going to be more than fine. We've had 4 freshman start in the lineup so far and 7 freshman have pitched. Paid that with 4 hitters moving up a level/conference and there's going to be some slop. This is easily the most talented team we've had since 2021. Different types of talent, but they have a real shot to make a bunch of noise.

Our average margin of victory in weekend games so far is three runs, and on average we're giving up 8 hits a game on the weekend (with two games skewing that quite a bit) I have no idea how that compares to other teams, but it doesn't feel bad to me. We haven't played bad teams on the weekend either. I've always felt pitching lagged a little behind hitting to start the year most years. Plus, it's baseball, doesn't matter if you're blanking teams or winning by a run, just win.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
tau06
There was a run scored today (and another hit) where we made a good pitch and guy pounded it directly into the dirt and it went like 25 feet in the air. Nothing you can do about it. Just bad luck. We will just keep getting better, haven't played bad teams at all
Wolfer79
Drew Lanphere's walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth lifted the NC State baseball team to a 6-5 victory over Towson in the series opener on Friday afternoon at Doak Field at Dail Park.

After Towson (1-7) tied the score at 5-5 with two outs in the top of the ninth, Noah Soles and Eli Serrano III reached base via a walk and an HBP before Garrett Pennington dropped down a sacrifice bunt to move Soles and Serrano III up 90 feet apiece. The Tigers then intentionally walked Alec Makarewicz before Lanphere drove the game-winning hit to left field on a 1-2 count.

NC State (6-2) built a 4-0 lead with a run in the first and three runs in the third. Chase Nixon's RBI single gave the Wolfpack a 1-0 edge in the first before RBI singles from Makarewicz and Lanphere and a sacrifice fly from Nixon extended the lead to 4-0.

Towson plated two in the fourth to trim its deficit to 4-2. NC State then stretched its lead back to three runs behind Makarewicz's RBI single in the seventh for a 5-2 Wolfpack lead.

The Tigers scored two in the eighth before tying the score at 5-5 on a throwing error in the ninth.

NC State starting pitcher Sam Highfill tossed 5.0 innings while allowing just two runs (one earned) with five strikeouts in his third start of the season. Highfill limited the Tigers to three hits and allowed only one walk, throwing 57 of his 84 pitches for strikes.

Towson reliever Bobby Spencer (0-1) suffered the loss after allowing the game-winning run in the ninth. Wolfpack freshman reliever Jacob Dudan (1-0) earned his first-career pitching victory after throwing 0.2 frames in the ninth.

Makarewicz and Lanphere paced the Pack with two hits apiece, while Soles and Serrano III each tied for the team lead with two runs scored each. Soles walked twice in the victory, including in the bottom of the ninth to score the eventual game-winning run.

UP NEXT
NC State continues its series against Towson on Saturday with a doubleheader at Doak Field at Dail Park. First pitch for game one is set for noon. Both games will be streamed live on ACC Network Extra.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/3/1/baseball-lanpheres-walk-off-lifts-14-wolfpack-to-6-5-win-over-towson
Wolfer79

Towson at North Carolina State ACC Network Extra, noon

Towson at North Carolina State ACC Network Extra, 4:30 p.m.

Wolfer79
No. 14 NC State baseball secured a hard-fought 6-5 win over the Towson Tigers at Doak Field.
The game was a back-and-forth battle in which NC State (6-2) had its hands full. After drawing first blood at the beginning of the game, Towson (1-7) clawed back to tie it in the ninth. In the bottom of the ninth, the Pack loaded the bases, which set the stage for redshirt freshman catcher Drew Lanphere, who won it with a walk-off RBI.
"Bases loaded and infield in, I was really just trying to drive the ball to the outfield." Lanphere said, "... I was really just trying to put good contact with two strikes and just try to drive the run in."

In the bottom of the first, the Pack wasted little time getting going, utilizing a pair of walks and a base hit to load the bases. The red-and-white drew one run as junior designated hitter Chase Nixon singled to bring home one runner, giving the Wolfpack an early 1-0 lead.
After a quiet second inning, the offense picked back up in the third as NC State put two runners on base with graduate third baseman Alec Makarewicz on deck. The ECU transfer helped start the most productive inning of the Pack's afternoon by drilling in a run. At the next at-bat, Lanphere also singled to bring in another run. The Pack continued to attack as Nixon flew out to give enough time for another run to cross the plate.
"The approach is always like trying to hit the ball up the middle," Lanphere said. "[With] guys on base, really just trying to drive that guy in as much as I can."
In the fourth, Towson responded with a strong sense of urgency. In the prior three innings, graduate right-handed pitcher Sam Highfill minimized offensive production from the Tigers. However, Towson broke through in the fourth, putting three men on base. It capitalized and brought two runners home, cutting the lead to 4-2.
Over the next 2.5 innings, the pitching stepped up to limit any offensive momentum. Highfill bounced back, throwing five innings of two-run ball on three hits while posting five strikeouts.

"I thought he pitched well," said head coach Elliott Avent. "Command was good on all three pitches, I thought he pitched similar to the old Sam Highfill."
In the bottom of the seventh, the Pack once again mustered some offense after only posting one hit in the preceding three innings. Back-to-back walks posed a promising opportunity. Once again, Makarewicz came through as he singled to bring in one run to put the lead at 5-2.
Towson fed off of the Pack's newfound momentum as they also broke through after a few scoreless innings. Filling in for Highfill, freshman right-handed pitcher Jaxon Lucas entered and tossed two scoreless innings. However, in the top of the eighth, the Tigers collected two base hits on Lucas. They used these to their advantage, bringing home both to make the score 5-4. Despite a rough inning, Lucas still managed a strong performance as he tossed three innings in which he managed four strikeouts.
Trouble continued to surface for the Pack in the ninth as Towson pieced together two perfectly placed singles to further threaten the Wolfpack's lead. To follow this up, they grounded into a fielder's choice, advancing one runner to third. The Tigers then executed a play in which their player on first ran off the bag sparking a rundown, freeing the runner on third to steal home and tie the game at five apiece.
With the game tied at five, the Pack entered the ninth inning desperate to avoid the upset. NC State wasted little time getting runners on base. After a perfectly placed bunt from Makarewicz and an intentional walk, Lamphere came to the plate with the bases loaded and no outs. He answered with a perfect single down the left line, sending the Wolfpack faithful home happy.
After a back-and-forth affair in which the Pack had to dig deep, it found a way to win yet another tight game. As it continues amidst a busy weekend, NC State will look to build momentum off of this game's result.
"We got some fortunate runs early. And they kept battling, battling and they tied the game." Avent said. "… Just proud of the way we played that bottom of the ninth, proud of Drew Lanphere."
The Pack will be back in action tomorrow as it takes on Towson in a doubleheader. First pitch of game one will take place at noon. Both games will be available on ACC Network Extra.

https://www.technicianonline.com/lanphere-walks-it-off-as-nc-state-baseball-survives-towson-in-series-opener/article_db85ec44-d83b-11ee-9400-db6cbc0d1322.html
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Alex Gee
Staff
Kid from Towson is struggling about as much as the pitcher for Queens did.
Borowolf10
Alex Gee said:

Kid from Towson is struggling about as much as the pitcher for Queens did.

Would be huge for the remaining games if we could chase this guy in the 1st.
Alex Gee
Staff
I thought Serrano was early live. Looks like umps did too

Edit: Nah he's good. Should be at least.
Alex Gee
Staff
I think that's 5 wild pitches/pass balls.
Alex Gee
Staff
I'm going to stop spamming, but I need Wilmwolf to make his usual Budrovich critiques. Off to a hot start.

I might make a highlight reel for him.
I40Wolf
tau06 said:

There was a run scored today (and another hit) where we made a good pitch and guy pounded it directly into the dirt and it went like 25 feet in the air. Nothing you can do about it. Just bad luck. We will just keep getting better, haven't played bad teams at all

Fake dirt
Borowolf10
Guy couldn't throw a strike to save his life and Heavner bails him out by starting to swing at anything with three balls. Have some discipline.
Cthepack
Borowolf10 said:

Guy couldn't throw a strike to save his life and Heavner bails him out by starting to swing at anything with three balls. Have some discipline.
This is not little league. You want your guys to swing!
Alex Gee
Staff
EB just compared their nine hole hitter to Pedroia "small in stature, big power". Kid is hitting .158 with 0 xbh's
Borowolf10
Cthepack said:

Borowolf10 said:

Not when the other guy is pitching like a little leaguer.
Alex Gee
Staff
Borowolf10 said:

Cthepack said:

Borowolf10 said:

I'll buy you a beer if you can find a positive thing to say about a 6-0 lead
Borowolf10
Alex Gee said:

Borowolf10 said:

Cthepack said:

Borowolf10 said:

I said it was positive that we chased the starter after 1 inning.
Borowolf10
Alex Gee said:

Borowolf10 said:

Cthepack said:

Borowolf10 said:

Oh would you look at that. Almost as if you need to keep scoring.
CLTWolf
Alex Gee said:

Borowolf10 said:

Cthepack said:

Borowolf10 said:

LOL!

Dude has Alex and James calling his ass out can't blame it on mean 'ol CLTWolf now. hahaha I'll never understand how people get off on being mad all the time.

Had to have some bro time (as my 6 yr old calls it) with my son today so I missed the 6 spot.

Heavner took what should've been ball 4 for strike one b/c the ump felt sorry for the pitcher. Anything close and that ump was gonna call a strike.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Alex Gee
Staff
Borowolf10 said:

Alex Gee said:

Borowolf10 said:

Cthepack said:

Borowolf10 said:

Wasn't Heavner's swing on 3-2?
matracey
Borowolf10 said:

Alex Gee said:

Borowolf10 said:

Cthepack said:

Borowolf10 said:

We could not score another run today and win comfortably so no you, in fact, don't need to keep scoring.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.