#Pack9 vs Towson 3/1-3 (6-5 W, 15-4W(7), 10-0W(7)) 14-4W (7))

13,184 Views | 220 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Wolfer79
FlockaWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glasswolf said:

FlockaWolf said:

Towson 4
State 3

When I'm watching.
How? It was 6-0 when I left for the SW event and 6-4 when I was there.

I tuned in during the 2nd so missed the first 4 runs, then missed the 3rd inning. So I missed all 6 of States runs and saw all of Towsons
Wolfer79
The No. 14 NC State baseball team completed a four-game weekend sweep with a 14-4 run-rule victory over Towson in seven innings on Sunday afternoon at Doak Field at Dail Park.

NC State (9-2) has opened its 10-game homestand with five consecutive wins at Doak Field, extending its winning streak to six games following a series-clinching victory at Hawaii on Sunday, Feb. 25. Alec Makarewicz finished off his strong week at the plate with a run-rule, walk-off double to center field to trigger the 10-run rule after seven innings.

The Wolfpack scored in the first inning for the fifth time this week. Left-handed starting pitcher Ryan Marohn needed only seven pitches to retire the Tigers (1-10) in order in the top half before NC State pushed across four runs in the bottom half.

Jacob Cozart and Makarewicz slugged back-to-back doubles to plate three runs for a 3-0 Wolfpack lead. Drew Lanphere then singled to center field to make it 4-0 Wolfpack.

Towson's Jordan Peyton doubled down the left-field line to plate the Tigers' first run in the third. NC State answered Peyton's RBI double with two runs in the bottom of the third. Eli Serrano III smacked an RBI single through the left side to restore the Pack's five-run lead before Lanphere recorded a sacrifice fly to extend the lead to 6-1.

Towson trimmed its deficit to 6-4 behind Bryce Frederick's three-run homer with two outs in the top of the fifth.

NC State scored three in the bottom of the sixth. Brandon Butterworth drew a one-out walk before Noah Soles dropped down a bunt single toward third base. Josh Hogue then drew a walk to load the bases, chasing Towson reliever Nick Karls from the game. Pennington drew a bases-loaded walk, Cozart recorded a sacrifice fly to deep center and Makarewicz ripped an RBI double to right field to make it 9-4 Wolfpack after the sixth.

The Wolfpack walked it off with five runs in the bottom of the seventh. Hogue lined his first homer in a Wolfpack uniform off the right-field foul pole for a three-run shot, expanding the Wolfpack's lead to 12-4 with two outs in the inning. Walks from Cozart and Pennington combined with a wild pitch moved two into scoring position for Makarewicz, who drove a fly ball just short of the wall in center field for the final hit of the weekend at Doak Field.

Jacob Dudan earned his second save after entering with a 6-4 lead and two outs in the top of the sixth. Dudan tossed 1.1 innings while allowing just two hits with a strikeout. Marohn (2-0) earned the win after throwing 5.2 innings, striking out five batters without allowing a walk.

Makarewicz paced the Wolfpack with three hits, three doubles and five RBI. Hogue went 2-for-4 with three RBI and three runs scored. Three Wolfpack baserunners swiped a bag in Sunday's win Soles, Serrano III and Butterworth.

UP NEXT
NC State continues its 10-game homestand on Tuesday when the Wolfpack hosts Winthrop for a midweek matchup at The Doak. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. and will be broadcasted on ACC Network Extra

https://gopack.com/news/2024/3/3/baseball-14-wolfpack-completes-sweep-of-towson-behind-14-4-win
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Whitaker needs to start ACC games IMO.

If sure looks that way. Not sure who you take out of the rotation but Whitaker has looked better than all 3 of them.

My maybe controversial take is that it should be Fritton. Know he got over 100 yesterday, but his stuff declines a bit around 50 pitches. I like the idea of having he and Van Dam to use for 1- 3 innings in more than one game during a weekend.

Whitaker just battles and throw strikes. His velo doesn't fall off.
Tbh, I was kind of thinking the same thing but wasn't quite ready to go there. I would not have an issue with it being Fritton. He just hasn't shown an ability as you said to get very deep into ballgames.
pantherpack
Completely agree with Whit needing to be in the starting rotation. Fritton is really good for about 3 innings. Let him cook as a mid reliever and maybe get to use him twice on the weekend.
Glasswolf
pantherpack said:

Completely agree with Whit needing to be in the starting rotation. Fritton is really good for about 3 innings. Let him cook as a mid reliever and maybe get to use him twice on the weekend.
Fritton needs to be a critical piece out of the bullpen.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Jtilley
I will be surprised if they move him to the pen again this year with him being draft eligible. Not saying it is the right call but he has to prove he can start and go deeper into games.

Now maybe that changes but I bet he has a decent leash.
StateFan2001
Jtilley said:

I will be surprised if they move him to the pen again this year with him being draft eligible. Not saying it is the right call but he has to prove he can start and go deeper into games.

If he can't develop a couple of reliable offspeed pitches he won't be a starter professionally either. What he has right now is a quality fastball. He will need to add a quality change and slider that he can consistently command if he is going to be a starter.
Jtilley
StateFan2001 said:

Jtilley said:

If he can't develop a couple of reliable offspeed pitches he won't be a starter professionally either. What he has right now is a quality fastball. He will need to add a quality change and slider that he can consistently command if he is going to be a starter.
You're right, the change is typically last pitch to come and a lot of guys don't even throw it in college but that's because they don't need to or don't really have a feel for it.

He still needs to throw his slider more consistently though.

The staff could move him again and I wouldn't be shocked, I just know they thought highly of him going into the year. They moved him last year though and moved Justice couple years back as well.

StateFan2001
Jtilley said:

StateFan2001 said:

Jtilley said:

You're right, the change is typically last pitch to come and a lot of guys don't even throw it in college but that's because they don't need to or don't really have a feel for it.

He still needs to throw his slider more consistently though.

The staff could move him again and I wouldn't be shocked, I just know they thought highly of him going into the year. They moved him last year though and moved Justice couple years back as well.

Yep. I don't recall him having a ton of success out of the pen last year, but I think his stuff could play pretty good if he can command 1 of those 2 offspeed pitches as a closer.
Slobbering_Wolf
Hoping the weather changes by the weekend, I have tickets to the Saturday game vs BC
Don't give up, don't ever give up-Jimmy V
Twitter: @jrouse84
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.