2022 MLB draft thread 7/17- 7/19

11,039 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Former NC State Pitcher L.Adams35 just got a UDFA Deal with the Milwaukee Brewers
Pbacker
None of our high school commits were drafted?
JCooke93
Yup
Pbacker
Guess that could be good and bad.
pack2010
Pbacker said:

Guess that could be good and bad.

nothing bad about it, IMO. we have a top 20 class according to PG, and outside of robert evans (who is going to JUCO) we got all of them on campus, as of now.
JCooke93
Yup I really like this class
JCooke93
Zayas looks like he got a UDFA Deal with the Red Sox
EthanBarry
Staff
JCooke93 said:

Zayas looks like he got a UDFA Deal with the Red Sox

Not great!
pack2010
yea that sucks. someone is giving these kids bad advice. i understand if you've been in college a few years, but to go undrafted after HS and to sign a FA deal? not smart
JCooke93
D.BROWN3 UDFA DEAL WITH THE BLUE JAYS
Andrew4343
I don't know. He's being payed to play baseball. If his agent has any smarts he will get him a deal where his team will pay for college if the pros don't work out.
I know a couple of guys who did that. They were out of baseball in 4-5 years but got free educations.
Packsd14me
Andrew4343 said:

I don't know. He's being payed to play baseball. If his agent has any smarts he will get him a deal where his team will pay for college if the pros don't work out.
I know a couple of guys who did that. They were out of baseball in 4-5 years but got free educations.
I agree with that. I one guy I coached had money to State. Astros drafted in the 8th round. He signed with a provision that they pay his education if he didn't make it within 5 years. Two arm injuries later, he got his free education. Example #2. 5 tool outfielder. Would have been a high draft pick. Asked for too much money. Drafted in late rounds anyway an was offered above slot to sign. Turn it down. Played one year in college. Injuries and grade issues. He had a learning disability. Never played a second of pro ball. The decision is different for everyone. Ability ,organization, contract, academics and family concerns all play a part in an individual decision.
pack2010
Andrew4343 said:

i mean i get what you're saying, and of course personal life and other factors changes person to person. but, IMO, he was likely a 2 year starter at a good ACC program (of course if he lived up to the hype), he could have been a top 5-7 round pick in a couple years with his tools.

tough loss, on paper.
EthanBarry
Staff
A high school guy signing for $125k is very unusual too. Must be extenuating circumstances. Definitely a blow for State
M_A
Wasnt Zayas a pretty key part of this class? Are we going the Keatts route and de-emphasizing high schoolers now or was this unexpected?
"It's ACC Championship or bust, quite honestly"
JCooke93
No
CLTWolf
M_A said:

Wasnt Zayas a pretty key part of this class? Are we going the Keatts route and de-emphasizing high schoolers now or was this unexpected?
Pretty sure it was expected by the staff since they were all over MIF transfers. Zayas is so smooth defensively but his hit tool is lacking. Sure, it's a loss but a guy like Matt Heavner hits better but doesn't have the same smooth actions in the field as Zayas. There's a kid from WV, Michael McKinney, that's big at 6'3 (reminds me of Green and Marcy), and has that same high leg kick like Neto from Campbell. He's from WV so who knows how he'll look against D1 talent coming from Coal City, WV.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
rwwalsh
Yeah definitely don't think we'll de-emphasize HS recruiting. For next year we've got 2 more top 50 kids coming in according to PG.
tau06
Stinks to lose Zayas and Evans from the class but if you get Gupton and Serrano to campus it's still a win. You have to think half of your top HS guys won't make it due to being drafted if you are fishing in the right pools. With the infield transfers we have coming back plus the hopeful improvement and settling in of Green we will be fine. If not, go find another kid like Hood in the portal. the year after.
JCooke93
True
CLTWolf
Josh Hood signed with the Mariners for $250,000. Good for him, totally exceeded what I thought he would get. Awesome!
JCooke93
Nice
wilmwolf
CLTWolf said:

Josh Hood signed with the Mariners for $250,000. Good for him, totally exceeded what I thought he would get. Awesome!

That's great for Josh! Wish we could've had him for a few seasons, was a good player and seemed like a solid dude.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf

Jim Toman's son just got paid. Good for him.
JCooke93
Probably wasn't going to play behind 47 either
CLTWolf

Wow...good for the Raleigh kid.
Borowolf10
Any update on Pilolli or Soles?
EthanBarry
Staff
Villaman got $325k
CLTWolf
EthanBarry said:

Villaman got $325k

That's over twice the slot amount, no?

Good for him.
EthanBarry
Staff
CLTWolf said:

EthanBarry said:

Villaman got $325k

That's over twice the slot amount, no?

Good for him.

Yeah I think slot was $155k
JCooke93
Yup
tau06
EthanBarry said:

Villaman got $325k

Big time $$$, congrats Chris!
pack2010
Just in a FYI spot, the highest unsigned pick was Raleighs own Nolan McLean. drafted in the 3rd round, but going back to Oklahoma State
EthanBarry
Staff
Fwiw, Zayas only got $47.5k so seems like there were some other factors in play
JCooke93
Wow

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.