Baseball @ Duke (Combs Field) 5/13-15 (5-3, 13-5, 4-7)

8,039 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
SportManagementEngineer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good start. Need to go for the jugular this weekend and get a sweep.

ETA: What a fast game.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
wolfpack1437
Well, ***** Good news is we won, bad news is I missed it bc I didn't realize it had been moved up. Oh well
wilmwolf
Thought I was going to be able to catch the tail end of the game coming home early today, didn't realize it was going to be the fastest game ever, lol. Seriously, I went to the uncw game on Tuesday and it was darn near four hours with the ump delay, today is barely 2.5 hours. Regardless, great start to the series. Hopefully they get to play tomorrow.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
SportManagementEngineer
wilmwolf80 said:

Thought I was going to be able to catch the tail end of the game coming home early today, didn't realize it was going to be the fastest game ever, lol. Seriously, I went to the uncw game on Tuesday and it was darn near four hours with the ump delay, today is barely 2.5 hours. Regardless, great start to the series. Hopefully they get to play tomorrow.
Game is quick with few walks, no(?) errors, and I think only 5 total pitchers used. Very clean game.
wilmwolf
Yup, pitching changes add a lot of time. Whittaker is also such a fast worker, which also helps. I'm 8 innings into watching the game back and their guys are working quickly too. Don't believe there have been any relays either. Me complaining probably sets us up for a four hour game tomorrow, lol.
Wolfer79
Thanks to a four-run surge in the seventh inning, NC State baseball (31-16, 13-11 ACC) opened its series with Duke (20-28, 9-17 ACC) on Friday afternoon with a 5-3 win at Jack Coombs Field.

The Pack got off to a fast start when Devonte Brown swung at the first pitch of the game and roped a double down the left field line, and then scored on LuJames Groover III's RBI single up the middle.

The Blue Devils took the lead in the third with a pair of runs on four hits. Alex Mooney laced a one-out double to left field, and then RJ Schreck, Chad Knight and Luke Storm strung together three consecutive hits to drive in the runs.

Duke extended its lead to 3-1 in the sixth on another RBI single, as Mooney drove in Trevor Johnson from third after leading off with an infield single and moving to second on a balk and third on a groundout.

The Pack surged back in the seventh with four runs on as many hits to take a 5-3 lead. After a single by J.T. Jarrett followed by a double by Dominic Pilolli and a walk from Payton Green loaded the bases, Jacob Cozart delivered with a two-RBI double to knot the game up at 3-3.

Brown drove in the go-ahead run to make it 4-3 with his third hit of the day, a single to center field to score Green, and then Cozart came home from third on a double play to tack on the insurance run.

Starting pitcher Logan Whitaker had a strong outing on the mound, matching his career long in innings pitched with 6.0 and his career high in strikeouts with eight en route to improving to 2-2 on the mound this year.

Chris Villaman relieved Whitaker in the seventh and tossed the final three innings to pick up his team-leading ninth save of the year. He allowed just one batter to reach base and tallied five strikeouts.

At the plate, Brown and Cozart led the Pack's offense with three hits apiece while five other players had a hit to combine for 11 on the day. It marked Cozart's third-straight multi-hit game and it was Brown's seventh multi-hit outing in nine games.

Additionally, Cozart led the squad with two runs batted in to mark his fourth consecutive multi-RBI performance.

NC State will meet with Duke for game two of the series Saturday with first pitch slated for 1 p.m. at Jack Coombs Field. The game will be broadcast on Regional Sports Networks (RSN) and there will be a radio broadcast on WKNC 88.1 and the Varsity Network App.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/13/baseball-late-surge-pushes-pack9-past-blue-devils.aspx
wilmwolf
Game start delayed due to weather, per Twitter. My radar looks like it is going to clear up soon, but I am not Al Roker.
Wolfer79
wilmwolf80 said:

Game start delayed due to weather, per Twitter. My radar looks like it is going to clear up soon, but I am not Al Roker.

Going with a 2 PM first pitch today.

Wolfer79
wilmwolf
One pitch and then back off the field again. That was dumb, why even start?
kmb717
wilmwolf80 said:

One pitch and then back off the field again. That was dumb, why even start?

What a joke. We had to pitch in a harder rain last week against unc.
DrummerboyWolf
If you are looking for the game and you have Spectrum cable it's on 324 in the Triangle area. It's on one of the special events channels that sometimes the Hurricanes play on during the regular season.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Daviewolf83
I just found the game on channel 646 on Directv. Of course, they are just showing MLB highlights until the game can restart.
WolfInTheWeeds
Did something happen to Cozart? He's been tattooing the ball lately. Just wondering why he's out? Rest?
wilmwolf
They have been platooning since Godman got healthy, particularly when the other team is starting a lefty. Probably see him in the later innings pinch hitting.
Wolfer79
game restarted around 250
NC State loads bases in top of 1st with 2 outs, but no runs
Wbtaylor
wilmwolf80 said:

They have been platooning since Godman got healthy, particularly when the other team is starting a lefty. Probably see him in the later innings pinch hitting.

Cozart is arguable the hottest hitter on the team right now. I think it's a big mistake not to ride that hot bat. Not just for this game but it's crunch time and having Cozart breakout would be huge for our lineup. Just don't get it.
wilmwolf
Wbtaylor said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Cozart is arguable the hottest hitter on the team right now. I think it's a big mistake not to ride that hot bat. Not just for this game but it's crunch time and having Cozart breakout would be huge for our lineup. Just don't get it.

I'm not advocating for him being in the lineup or not, just telling the poster why Godman is in. I don't personally think taking a game, or half game off is going to cool off Cozart's hitting, but I wouldn't have a problem if he started today either. I trust the coaches, but I tend to be in the minority on that most of the time.
Wolfer79
channel 324 on Spectrum in Wake County
engineercoach
Really nice double play with bases loaded to end the inning. Pack up 3-0
engineercoach
engineercoach said:

no clue why that emoji was added to the post
Daviewolf83
Nice double play to get out of the bases loaded situation. Time to go add to the run total for State.
SportManagementEngineer
engineercoach said:

He's pitched well and had some bad luck with the long at bat and infield single. Glad he got out of the jam.
wilmwolf
And of course on a day when a quick game would benefit me there's been two rain delays, a bunch of walks, and three pitching changes in three innings. Lol.
ChemE94
Wolfer79 said:

What network?
engineercoach
Looks like Dom could have laid out for that ball
SportManagementEngineer
Dang. All of this with 2 outs. I feel like we give up a ton of bloop singles- makes me think our outfielders don't get good jumps on these balls.
wilmwolf
engineercoach said:

Looks like Dom could have laid out for that ball

If he had laid out he would've run into Hood. Plus, it's the third inning, in that situation I was taught to keep the ball in front of me.
wilmwolf
Would be nice to get that high away strike when we are pitching.
SportManagementEngineer
Big fly for Brown. 7-3 Pack, top of 5th
Wolfer79
ChemE94 said:

Wolfer79 said:

What network?

Bally Sports
not sure if South, Carolinas, or what
Wolfpacklife
SportManagementEngineer said:

Big fly for Brown. 7-3 Pack, top of 5th

Big time!
packman34
It's not on spectrum in Leland (Wilmington area). Is it online anywhere?
LegacyPack4
I'm in Charleston, SC and am getting the Braves game on Bally. State game seems to be on one of Bally's alternates which I am not subscribed to. Ugh
wilmwolf
packman34 said:

It's not on spectrum in Leland (Wilmington area). Is it online anywhere?

I'm using the Bally app.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.