Baseball @ Duke (Combs Field) 5/13-15 (5-3, 13-5, 4-7)

7,910 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NC State will remain on the road this weekend when it makes the short trip to Duke for its second Tobacco Road series of the season. The teams will play Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 1 p.m. at Jack Coombs Field. Friday's game will be on ACCNX while the final two games will be on Regional Sports Networks (RSN). All three games will have a radio broadcast on WKNC 88.1 and the Varsity Network App.
castlewood107
Weather is not looking good this weekend. since school is out maybe they can move Friday up to early afternoon and plan on another Sunday dh.

has anyone ever been to Jack Coombs field? any thoughts on seating, concessions and such? Really disappointed this is not at the DBAP but I see the Bulls are on a homestand.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
castlewood107 said:

Weather is not looking good this weekend. since school is out maybe they can move Friday up to early afternoon and plan on another Sunday dh.

has anyone ever been to Jack Coombs field? any thoughts on seating, concessions and such? Really disappointed this is not at the DBAP but I see the Bulls are on a homestand.

Friday noon 1st pitch
Wolfer79
NC State baseball (30-16, 12-11 ACC) will make the short trip to Durham, N.C., this weekend when it meets with Tobacco Road rival Duke (20-27, 9-15 ACC) for a three-game series at Jack Coombs Field.

Due to anticipated weather in the area, Friday's first pitch has been moved up to 12 p.m. while Saturday and Sunday's games are slated for 1 p.m. Friday's game will be broadcast on ACCNX while the latter two will be on Regional Sports Networks (RSN). There will be a radio broadcast for all three games on WKNC 88.1 and the Varsity Network App.

STARTING PITCHERS
Friday RHP Logan Whitaker (NCSU) vs. RHP Marcus Johnson (DUKE)
Saturday RHP Matt Willadsen (NCSU) vs. LHP Jonathan Santucci (DUKE)
Sunday TBA (NCSU) vs. TBA (NCSU)

SERIES HISTORY
This weekend will be the first three-game series meeting between the Pack and Blue Devils since April 20-22, 2018, which was played in Durham. NC State earned 9-2 and 2-1 wins in the first two games to clinch the series, but Duke won, 11-2, in the finale to avoid the sweep.

The last time the teams met was on May 30, 2021, for the ACC Championship title game at Truist Field in Charlotte, N.C., and the Blue Devils won, 1-0.

Friday will be the 289th meeting between the squads, with the first meeting dating back to 1897, as the Pack leads the all-time series, 161-127-1.

wilmwolf
Two games being on RSN means that those of you without cable likely can't watch. Be prepared to lodge your complaints about Swofford accordingly.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfer79
cwolf
Most foul territory of any field I have ever been to or played on!
Wolfer79
I am listening on Varsity app
they just said

for those in range of WZNC, they have not switched to gane
SportManagementEngineer
Good start with the double on the first pitch and Groover brings him home on a single 2 pitches later.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
SportManagementEngineer
Also, the score bug says we are 20-6 (9-2) and Duke is 12-15 (3-8). A few weeks behind in Durham I see.
SportManagementEngineer
cwolf said:

Most foul territory of any field I have ever been to or played on!
Its funny, I worked in the Duke athletic department and I've never been to a game at this stadium. They must've played more at the DBAP 7 years ago
Packsd14me
I played games there....cold... they used to have what we called "Chapel Hill gravel" on the field. The base paths weren't sand but rather fine pieces of what looked like granite rock....

Infielders didn't always get the truest hops.

Lots of wind there in the early spring...I hated playing there. The ball didn't carry well.

It looks much improved.
SportManagementEngineer
Duke out here making diving plays and we can't catch fly balls to the outfield.
kmb717
Now a balk leads to a run for Duke. This game has been ridiculous.
SportManagementEngineer
Alright looks like the bats might be waking up here. Really need to get both of these guys home
SportManagementEngineer
Got to give this Duke pitcher credit, a lot tougher to score when you don't walk anyone. Its super simple, but in college baseball it seems like innings are constantly extended with walks and HBPs.
kmb717
Cozy! Man he has come alive the last couple weeks.
SportManagementEngineer
Clutch inning here. Have to get at least one more home without any outs.
DrummerboyWolf
Ok, I did not realize the game was early. I turn it on. Bases are loaded and Cozart knocks it to the wall for two runs and Devonte hits a bullet to center. You can thank me later!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
DrummerboyWolf
And I was typing my response when Groover hit into the DP, so I can't take credit for that. LOL
SportManagementEngineer
Huge inning. And we tagged one of their best relievers
DrummerboyWolf
I have been to that field one time, probably about ten years ago before they renovated. I am pretty sure they did not have the turf at that time.
SportManagementEngineer
Its in such an awkward spot too, right off the road that goes to Cameron. Basically just sits in the parking lot.
DrummerboyWolf
I hope Chris has more movement on his ball today. He has been getting tagged a lot lately.
DrummerboyWolf
SportManagementEngineer said:

Its in such an awkward spot too, right off the road that goes to Cameron. Basically just sits in the parking lot.
Yep you got Wallace Wade on the right, Cameron in the middle of the circle, then the baseball stadium.
DrummerboyWolf
Villamin looks much sharper. That last pitch looked like a great change up.
DrummerboyWolf
Nice play by the Duke right fielder on Hood. That definitely had extra bases written all over it.
SportManagementEngineer
DrummerboyWolf said:

Nice play by the Duke right fielder on Hood. That definitely had extra bases written all over it.
They've robbed no less than 4 hits today. Their fielding has been impressive.
DrummerboyWolf
Good play by Pilloli to end the inning. Chris is looking really good on the mound.
castlewood107
Cozart hitting does so much for this lineup.

We've got 5 runs today against two really good arms even with some tough luck bounces/lineouts and diving defensive plays while rarely getting nothing from Tanks.
DrummerboyWolf
2 terrible strike 3 calls by the umpire. Pitiful. He is ready to go home.
castlewood107
and LOL at this zone in the top of the 9th. Fine, but we better get it here in the bottom.
Wolfer79
NC State 5
Duke 3
final
DrummerboyWolf
Good way to start the weekend. 5-3 Wolfpack. Great job by Villamin!!

GO PACK!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.