Mets Don't Sign Top Ten Pick Kumar Rocker

5,683 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wolfpack
Rob McLamb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
CLTWolf said:

sf59 said:

here for the rob and clt banter

Oh it's over. I've made Rob angry, I don't want to make Rob angry. No one wants to see Rob angry...

I am cool. Someone dropped an F-bomb on me in another thread and I wasn't too geeked about that but my blood pressure is still normal.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
griff17matt
Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

sf59 said:

Oh it's over. I've made Rob angry, I don't want to make Rob angry. No one wants to see Rob angry...

I am cool. Someone dropped an F-bomb on me in another thread and I wasn't too geeked about that but my blood pressure is still normal.
I didn't "drop an f-bomb" on you. Get the sand out of your vagina.
wilmwolf
Rob McLamb said:

I just looked up on the internet and saw that Rocker would not give his medicals out. Is that true?

The Mets seem to have basically just not worried about signing the guy, unlike the Watson/Marlins situation where they talked right to the last minute. It looks like New York decided early on that they would rather have the 2022 first-round pick.
I read that was standard operating procedure for his agent, who I believe is Boras. It has also been said that he was checked out by other doctors and there were no issues.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Rob McLamb
Staff
griff17matt said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

sf59 said:

You did. I literally saw it when I quote-responded.

"Rob...what the **** are you smoking?" ACC or SEC - Page 5 | Inside Pack Sports

Now you accuse me of having a vagina.

I don't know you and you don't know me. We aren't tight like that.
Rob McLamb
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

Rob McLamb said:

I just looked up on the internet and saw that Rocker would not give his medicals out. Is that true?

The Mets seem to have basically just not worried about signing the guy, unlike the Watson/Marlins situation where they talked right to the last minute. It looks like New York decided early on that they would rather have the 2022 first-round pick.
I read that was standard operating procedure for his agent, who I believe is Boras. It has also been said that he was checked out by other doctors and there were no issues.
The interesting part, at least to me, is that the Mets decided early on not to worry about it. They did not fight or even bother after pulling the offer. They decided to take the next season's pick right away. It was a lot different than Waston to Miami, where they negotiated right to the end.
griff17matt
Rob McLamb said:

griff17matt said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

sf59 said:

That's what you consider dropping an f-bomb ON you? Umm, okay. Maybe get the sand out of your dick hole then? Better? Whatever, lighten up, get some sleep, stop being ornery...take your pick.
Rob McLamb
Staff
griff17matt said:

Rob McLamb said:

griff17matt said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

sf59 said:

That's what you consider dropping an f-bomb ON you? Umm, okay. Maybe get the sand out of your dick hole then? Better? Whatever, lighten up, get some sleep, stop being ornery...take your pick.
No, it is not better.

People can read the posts for themselves. They will see who is ornery. There is only one person who genuinely needs to calm down.
CLTWolf
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Rob McLamb
Staff
CLTWolf said:

I am old enough to remember when we were "arguing." Those were the glory days.

I am heading to a doctor's appointment. As I looked in my closet to find a shirt to wear I saw my old Mets black Piazza jersey. It's a little snug but I decided to wear it in honor of this thread. Maybe I am just a huge hypocrite after all. Oh well.
BollNCSU
So, It's been said that Tresh did not get drafted earlier because he was asking for bigger money. So then he got drafted later and took the lesser money. Am I understanding this correctly? If so, why ask for more money if it can cause you to subsequently fall down and then when it happens take that money anyway? Is it just a gamble where you hope someone does pay you higher and pays you what you want and if they don't you're going to take it anyway? This just seems kind of crazy if I am understanding it correctly
CLTWolf
Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

I am heading to a doctor's appointment. As I looked in my closet to find a shirt to wear I saw my old Mets black Piazza jersey. It's a little snug but I decided to wear it in honor of this thread. Maybe I am just a huge hypocrite after all. Oh well.
Rob McLamb
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

That gif is like I am looking in a mirror.
CLTWolf
BollNCSU said:

So, It's been said that Tresh did not get drafted earlier because he was asking for bigger money. So then he got drafted later and took the lesser money. Am I understanding this correctly? If so, why ask for more money if you were going to subsequently fall down and when it happens take that money anyway? Is it just a gamble where you hope someone does pay you higher and pays you what you want and if they don't you're going to take it anyway? This just seems kind of crazy if I am understanding it correctly
Luca got drafted in the 17th round but got paid like a 4th or 5th rounder, IIRC. I don't know that he would've been drafted higher than that if he didn't have a big price tag to begin with. Either way, IMO, it's all a gamble and you try to get the most money you can. If Luca comes back does he get picked in the 4th or 5th round with a chance at 3rd round money potentially? Another gamble, right?
Rob McLamb
Staff
BollNCSU said:

So, It's been said that Tresh did not get drafted earlier because he was asking for bigger money. So then he got drafted later and took the lesser money. Am I understanding this correctly? If so, why ask for more money if you were going to subsequently fall down and when it happens take that money anyway? Is it just a gamble where you hope someone does pay you higher and pays you what you want and if they don't you're going to take it anyway? This just seems kind of crazy if I am understanding it correctly
It really is a game you have to play, almost akin to something out of Vegas and a poker table. The player and/or agent has to decide what, if anything, they are going to leak out to the executives and so on. There is also bluffing involved sometimes.

I have not been trained in those types of negotiations but if it was me my inclination would be to keep everything close to the vest. If you know you don't want to go back to school, there isn't really much other direction you can go.

To answer your question towards the end, in my mind it is exactly like a gamble.
tau06
CLTWolf said:

tau06 said:

Rocker not signing stems from something the Mets found in their medical stuff post draft. Very similar to what happened to the Braves with the Carter Stewart kid out of high school a few years ago. Find something that is a non starter for your doctors (super small/weak UCL, who the heck knows what else) and with everything else being a sunk cost, it's the smart/prudent decision to not sign him and take the #1 pick next year. Not a great draft and as much as Rocker was pumped by ESPN he isn't some can't miss future # 1 or 2 in the MLB. I hope they lolMets it up, but it's honestly probably the smartest thing that they can do if they really don't like what they have found.

Don't think this is related to his attitude or what he brings to the table at all
Rocker had several other doctors say his elbow was fine and MRIs showed nothing. It's a weird situation.

In a statement released to reporters on Sunday, Rocker's agent, Scott Boras, said that his client "is healthy according to independent medical review by multiple prominent baseball orthopedic surgeons." In addition, Boras said that Rocker had an MRI on his shoulder and elbow after finishing his collegiate season at Vanderbilt, which made the finals of the College World Series.

"When compared to his 2018 MRIs, the medical experts found no significant change," the statement said. "Kumar requires no medical attention and will continue to pitch in the regular course as he prepares to begin his professional career."

The Mets lose about 1.3 mil not signing him so that's not great either. They could've used that money on other kids.

They will get the 11th pick next year plus whatever pick they earn from this year, so there's that.

Rocker is a legit talent. Losing him sucks for the Mets.

Consider the source. Why would they say anything else?
tau06
BigLefty24 said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Of course, Boros released a statement saying Rocker is healthy. He is his agent. What else is he supposed to do? He is not going to put out a statement telling teams to stay away.
I guess you're a Mets fan?
Yes, for the sake of transparency I actually did grow up a Mets fan.

This is not about the Mets though. Most teams in the MLB have had an issue like this with first-round picks at some point. The Phillies did not sign J.D. Drew and I know that was at least 20 years ago.

It is not a mess. It is common, but having it involve a New York sports team accentuates it for some reason. The same thing happens with "Bobby Bonilla Day" despite the Atlanta Braves once signing a contract with Bruce Sutter that was longer and worse.
Sorry buddy, but this situation, is a mess. I don't care what team it is, Mets or Dodgers, whomever.

It isn't common. First round draft picks, especially those coming from 3 years in college sign. Very rarely do they not sign unless there's something wrong. I mean Kumar isn't going back to school, dude was ready to be a professional baseball player.
No, it is not. It is not a mess to have two first-round picks. It is a mess to pay players if they don't play. New York paying Mo Vaughn over 90 million dollars to stay on the injured reserve for about seven years was a mess.

Plenty draft picks don't sign.

Brett Austin did not sign with the Padres and decided to attend NC State.

Appel (I can't remember his first name) did not sign (Pirates, I think), went back to Stanford, and then was picked with the top pick in the next draft by the Astros.

The next season the Astros had the top pick again, that time Houston did not sign their guy. One of the reasons that Carlos Rodon went to the White Sox is because Houston picked Brady Aiken. He went back into the draft and was picked lower in the next season's first-round by Cleveland.

I also know the Rays did not sign a first-round kid a few years ago and the guy went back to Oregon State because he had Tommy John surgery. While there, he got hurt and had Tommy John surgery a second time.

These are just off the top of my head.

It's a mess because they intentionally drafted kids in the remaining rounds that they could sign under slot so they could save money and pay him the $6M they had already agreed to pay him. So they basically diluted their entire draft to pay a kid and the didn't pay him. Terrible move.

And now they'll have to pay two first round picks next year, and won't have any available funds to pay kids in the later rounds because they've used all that money to pay their top two picks next year. They basically figured out a way to screw up two drafts.

Not really. Recently, the teams who have not signed a first round pick have killed the next draft. Take a slot guy with one first and take an under slot guy with the second and you have two really good players and a ton of money to sign guys in the later rounds that are above slot.
Wolfpack
Redwolf55 said:

In going through pre-draft sites and talking with a few folks in the Wake Forest area, both the Vandy pitcher and Watson dropped because of character and me first issues from what I was told. That they were not team players, was the main reason for both of them falling. Take it for what it is worth.
Rocker is a pitcher in baseball. What? Have as big of an ego as you want lol. You gotta have confidence to get out there on the mound in a big game.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.