Mets Don't Sign Top Ten Pick Kumar Rocker

5,722 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wolfpack
BigLefty24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow. How in the hell do you draft a kid (especially in round one) if you're not completely comfortable with his medical status? Then again, this is the Mets, so it's pretty much par for the course for them.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2021/08/01/vanderbilt-kumar-rocker-doesnt-sign-mets-due-injury-concerns/8076287002/

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/how-the-new-york-mets-botched-their-kumar-rocker-selection-in-the-2021-mlb-draft/
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

Tootie4Pack
Only the Mets could have this happen. He's not going back to Vandy. He's pissed off with their coach.

Coming to play for the Pack next season.
JCooke93
That would be awesome
PackFansXL
Hopefully this diminishes the belief that Corbin is some sort of guru who puts the health of his blue chip pitchers above reproach. Perhaps his glossy reputation is undeserved.
Redwolf55
In going through pre-draft sites and talking with a few folks in the Wake Forest area, both the Vandy pitcher and Watson dropped because of character and me first issues from what I was told. That they were not team players, was the main reason for both of them falling. Take it for what it is worth.
CLTWolf
Redwolf55 said:

In going through pre-draft sites and talking with a few folks in the Wake Forest area, both the Vandy pitcher and Watson dropped because of character and me first issues from what I was told. That they were not team players, was the main reason for both of them falling. Take it for what it is worth.

There are zero issues about Kumar's character. It's well documented how great of a teammate he's been at Vandy.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
JCooke93
I heard the same thing about Watson but who knows
tau06
Rocker not signing stems from something the Mets found in their medical stuff post draft. Very similar to what happened to the Braves with the Carter Stewart kid out of high school a few years ago. Find something that is a non starter for your doctors (super small/weak UCL, who the heck knows what else) and with everything else being a sunk cost, it's the smart/prudent decision to not sign him and take the #1 pick next year. Not a great draft and as much as Rocker was pumped by ESPN he isn't some can't miss future # 1 or 2 in the MLB. I hope they lolMets it up, but it's honestly probably the smartest thing that they can do if they really don't like what they have found.

Don't think this is related to his attitude or what he brings to the table at all
CLTWolf
tau06 said:

Rocker not signing stems from something the Mets found in their medical stuff post draft. Very similar to what happened to the Braves with the Carter Stewart kid out of high school a few years ago. Find something that is a non starter for your doctors (super small/weak UCL, who the heck knows what else) and with everything else being a sunk cost, it's the smart/prudent decision to not sign him and take the #1 pick next year. Not a great draft and as much as Rocker was pumped by ESPN he isn't some can't miss future # 1 or 2 in the MLB. I hope they lolMets it up, but it's honestly probably the smartest thing that they can do if they really don't like what they have found.

Don't think this is related to his attitude or what he brings to the table at all
Rocker had several other doctors say his elbow was fine and MRIs showed nothing. It's a weird situation.

In a statement released to reporters on Sunday, Rocker's agent, Scott Boras, said that his client "is healthy according to independent medical review by multiple prominent baseball orthopedic surgeons." In addition, Boras said that Rocker had an MRI on his shoulder and elbow after finishing his collegiate season at Vanderbilt, which made the finals of the College World Series.

"When compared to his 2018 MRIs, the medical experts found no significant change," the statement said. "Kumar requires no medical attention and will continue to pitch in the regular course as he prepares to begin his professional career."

The Mets lose about 1.3 mil not signing him so that's not great either. They could've used that money on other kids.

They will get the 11th pick next year plus whatever pick they earn from this year, so there's that.

Rocker is a legit talent. Losing him sucks for the Mets.
Rob McLamb
Staff
How is this an "only the Mets" thing?

New York gets another first-round pick in next year's draft because Rocker did not sign. Maybe they did miss out, but that could not possibly be known for a few years.

You don't just hand a dude six million bucks if you have concerns about his health and know that you will get compensated for not signing him. For all we know, the Mets could literally draft him again next season.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
Rob McLamb
Staff
Of course, Boros released a statement saying Rocker is healthy. He is his agent. What else is he supposed to do? He is not going to put out a statement telling teams to stay away.
CLTWolf
Rob McLamb said:

How is this an "only the Mets" thing?

New York gets another first-round pick in next year's draft because Rocker did not sign. Maybe they did miss out, but that could not possibly be known for a few years.

You don't just hand a dude six million bucks if you have concerns about his health and know that you will get compensated for not signing him. For all we know, the Mets could literally draft him again next season.
Rocker's slider could play in the bigs right now.

I think it's more of a Boras thing as that dude don't play when it comes to his clients. I'm sure Rocker wasn't coming off the 6 mil number they initially agreed on and when the Mets tried to go the "medical" route, that didn't scare Boras one bit.

Taking some time off probably does Kumar good anyways.
CLTWolf
Rob McLamb said:

Of course, Boros released a statement saying Rocker is healthy. He is his agent. What else is he supposed to do? He is not going to put out a statement telling teams to stay away.
I guess you're a Mets fan?
CLTWolf
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-mets-kumar-rocker-deal-234519936.html?src=rss

What a mess.
Rob McLamb
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Yes, for the sake of transparency I actually did grow up a Mets fan.

This is not about the Mets though. Most teams in the MLB have had an issue like this with first-round picks at some point. The Phillies did not sign J.D. Drew and I know that was at least 20 years ago.

It is not a mess. It is common, but having it involve a New York sports team accentuates it for some reason. The same thing happens with "Bobby Bonilla Day" despite the Atlanta Braves once signing a contract with Bruce Sutter that was longer and worse.
CLTWolf
Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

This is not about the Mets though. Most teams in the MLB have had an issue like this with first-round picks at some point. The Phillies did not sign J.D. Drew and I know that was at least 20 years ago.

It is not a mess. It is common, but having it involve a New York sports team accentuates it for some reason. The same thing happens with "Bobby Bonilla Day" despite the Atlanta Braves once signing a contract with Bruce Sutter that was longer and worse.
Sorry buddy, but this situation, is a mess. I don't care what team it is, Mets or Dodgers, whomever.

It isn't common. First round draft picks, especially those coming from 3 years in college sign. Very rarely do they not sign unless there's something wrong. I mean Kumar isn't going back to school, dude was ready to be a professional baseball player.
Rob McLamb
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Sorry buddy, but this situation, is a mess. I don't care what team it is, Mets or Dodgers, whomever.

It isn't common. First round draft picks, especially those coming from 3 years in college sign. Very rarely do they not sign unless there's something wrong. I mean Kumar isn't going back to school, dude was ready to be a professional baseball player.
No, it is not. It is not a mess to have two first-round picks. It is a mess to pay players if they don't play. New York paying Mo Vaughn over 90 million dollars to stay on the injured reserve for about seven years was a mess.

Plenty draft picks don't sign.

Brett Austin did not sign with the Padres and decided to attend NC State.

Appel (I can't remember his first name) did not sign (Pirates, I think), went back to Stanford, and then was picked with the top pick in the next draft by the Astros.

The next season the Astros had the top pick again, that time Houston did not sign their guy. One of the reasons that Carlos Rodon went to the White Sox is because Houston picked Brady Aiken. He went back into the draft and was picked lower in the next season's first-round by Cleveland.

I also know the Rays did not sign a first-round kid a few years ago and the guy went back to Oregon State because he had Tommy John surgery. While there, he got hurt and had Tommy John surgery a second time.

These are just off the top of my head.
BigLefty24
Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

No, it is not. It is not a mess to have two first-round picks. It is a mess to pay players if they don't play. New York paying Mo Vaughn over 90 million dollars to stay on the injured reserve for about seven years was a mess.

Appel (I can't remember his first name) did not sign (Pirates, I think), went back to Stanford, and then was picked with the top pick in the next draft by the Astros.

The next season the Astros had the top pick again, that time Houston did not sign their guy. One of the reasons that Carlos Rodon went to the White Sox is because Houston picked Brady Aiken. He went back into the draft and was picked lower in the next season's first-round by Cleveland.

I also know the Rays did not sign a first-round kid a few years ago and the guy went back to Oregon State because he had Tommy John surgery. While there, he got hurt and had Tommy John surgery a second time.

It's a mess because they intentionally drafted kids in the remaining rounds that they could sign under slot so they could save money and pay him the $6M they had already agreed to pay him. So they basically diluted their entire draft to pay a kid and the didn't pay him. Terrible move.

And now they'll have to pay two first round picks next year, and won't have any available funds to pay kids in the later rounds because they've used all that money to pay their top two picks next year. They basically figured out a way to screw up two drafts.

@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

CLTWolf
Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

This situation is a bit of a mess. They lost around 1.3 mil and basically drafted a certain way for no reason now that they aren't signing their 1st rounder. They passed on some kids that they could've used that 1.3 mil on but instead they drafted a bunch of sign-able college players to make sure they had the money to sign Rocker.

Brett Austin was a HS kid. A HS kid who had a brother that had played in the minor leagues who told him to go to college. Riding buses and staying in crappy hotels could wait 3 years. His bro said go to college and have fun. Not really the same situation.

Mark Appel turned down the offer. The Pirates didn't choose not to sign him b/c of some perceived medical deal. Not the same. Rocker was ready to accept the 6 mil offer that the Mets offered him.

Brady Aiken, HS kid. This one might be a somewhat similar deal though Aiken was also actually hurt and had TJ surgery soon after. The next year they drafted Alex Bregman (stud) and Kyle Tucker so they did ok.

Rasmussen had 2 TJ surgeries, his first TJ came before he was drafted by the Rays. Rasmussen and the Rays also didn't agree on a deal unlike Rocker and the Mets. The Rays also took a chance on a kid that had already had one TJ deal and 2 months after he was drafted had another. Rasmussen had known arm trouble. The only issue with Rocker has been some decline in velo but that's it. Of course watch him have TJ or some other surgery in a month or two. I hope not, for his sake.

You've got 2 situations that could possibly be similar to what's going on here, either way it's definitely not common. To me, common is something that happens every year in the draft. Not including Rocker, only 2 other kids didn't sign in the top 10 rounds this year. So just 3 total and Rocker had a deal, until he didn't. Everyone signed in the 5 rounds of 2020. Only 1 kid didn't sign in the top 10 rounds of 2019. That's it. 3 kids didn't sign in the first round in 2018 and all 3 were HS kids. 4 total in the top 10 rounds didn't sign in 2018 so only 1 other kid besides the aforementioned 3. In 2017 only 3 kids in the top 10 rounds didn't sign. 2 were HS kids and the other was Rasmussen. Kids drafted in the first round sign unless something gets weird or goes wrong. Kids in the first 10 rounds sign, that's what's common.

I really don't care that it's the Mets, you're getting defensive b/c someone else made a Mets joke. I think you're letting that get in the way here. Which is cool, I totally get it. We all do it with our favorite teams and I'm guilty of it when it comes to NC State, badly. haha

All in all, it's not a huge deal b/c they do get another pick next year so it's not some long term crippling chain of events. They get two chances to draft two studs, like Rocker was this year.
waxhaw
Will the Mets get additional money to use next year? since they will have two first rounders?
griff17matt
BigLefty24 said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

It's a mess because they intentionally drafted kids in the remaining rounds that they could sign under slot so they could save money and pay him the $6M they had already agreed to pay him. So they basically diluted their entire draft to pay a kid and the didn't pay him. Terrible move.

And now they'll have to pay two first round picks next year, and won't have any available funds to pay kids in the later rounds because they've used all that money to pay their top two picks next year. They basically figured out a way to screw up two drafts.

To be fair, I think every MLB team would give up picks 8-20 in order to get a shot at 2 first rounders who could be actual MLB players instead of minor league fodder. I see the point you're making though.
CLTWolf
waxhaw said:

Will the Mets get additional money to use next year? since they will have two first rounders?
Yes, I believe that's how it works.
JCooke93
Yes
Rob McLamb
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

This situation is a bit of a mess. They lost around 1.3 mil and basically drafted a certain way for no reason now that they aren't signing their 1st rounder. They passed on some kids that they could've used that 1.3 mil on but instead they drafted a bunch of sign-able college players to make sure they had the money to sign Rocker.

Brett Austin was a HS kid. A HS kid who had a brother that had played in the minor leagues who told him to go to college. Riding buses and staying in crappy hotels could wait 3 years. His bro said go to college and have fun. Not really the same situation.

Mark Appel turned down the offer. The Pirates didn't choose not to sign him b/c of some perceived medical deal. Not the same. Rocker was ready to accept the 6 mil offer that the Mets offered him.

Brady Aiken, HS kid. This one might be a somewhat similar deal though Aiken was also actually hurt and had TJ surgery soon after. The next year they drafted Alex Bregman (stud) and Kyle Tucker so they did ok.

Rasmussen had 2 TJ surgeries, his first TJ came before he was drafted by the Rays. Rasmussen and the Rays also didn't agree on a deal unlike Rocker and the Mets. The Rays also took a chance on a kid that had already had one TJ deal and 2 months after he was drafted had another. Rasmussen had known arm trouble. The only issue with Rocker has been some decline in velo but that's it. Of course watch him have TJ or some other surgery in a month or two. I hope not, for his sake.

You've got 2 situations that could possibly be similar to what's going on here, either way it's definitely not common. To me, common is something that happens every year in the draft. Not including Rocker, only 2 other kids didn't sign in the top 10 rounds this year. So just 3 total and Rocker had a deal, until he didn't. Everyone signed in the 5 rounds of 2020. Only 1 kid didn't sign in the top 10 rounds of 2019. That's it. 3 kids didn't sign in the first round in 2018 and all 3 were HS kids. 4 total in the top 10 rounds didn't sign in 2018 so only 1 other kid besides the aforementioned 3. In 2017 only 3 kids in the top 10 rounds didn't sign. 2 were HS kids and the other was Rasmussen. Kids drafted in the first round sign unless something gets weird or goes wrong. Kids in the first 10 rounds sign, that's what's common.

I really don't care that it's the Mets, you're getting defensive b/c someone else made a Mets joke. I think you're letting that get in the way here. Which is cool, I totally get it. We all do it with our favorite teams and I'm guilty of it when it comes to NC State, badly. haha

All in all, it's not a huge deal b/c they do get another pick next year so it's not some long term crippling chain of events. They get two chances to draft two studs, like Rocker was this year.

"I really don't care that it's the Mets, you're getting defensive b/c someone else made a Mets joke. I think you're letting that get in the way here. Which is cool, I totally get it. We all do it with our favorite teams and I'm guilty of it when it comes to NC State, badly. haha"

It has nothing to do with that. I don't even know all the players on the current Mets team.
TraCha4
Rocker come on down. Run with the Pack for a year!

Rob McLamb
Staff
griff17matt said:

BigLefty24 said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

To be fair, I think every MLB team would give up picks 8-20 in order to get a shot at 2 first rounders who could be actual MLB players instead of minor league fodder. I see the point you're making though.
The whole thing is a nothing burger. The hope is that the Mets did lose out because Rocker is healthy and has a solid career.

Seven teams have two first-round picks every season. They make it work. The slot money as a whole grows higher. The Mets will have plenty of money to sign others. There is not a guarantee that they will even have the new first-round pick next season. They could trade it away, perhaps as soon as this month in a waiver deal.

The Mets don't pick scraps because they choose Rocker. Agents put out whether their kids will sign for slot (or slightly less) or look for more money. Tresh fell because he wanted top money. These teams don't make millions by letting 20-year olds push them around. They have to be cagey about what is put out before the draft. Agents can't burn bridges because they'll deal with the team some other time with another player.

There is a huge pool of players that will take slot or slightly less to choose from, which makes them a greater commodity because of the leverage it gives the team. Often, that gives them a little more money in the end because they then get picked higher than projected. They sign for slightly less than slot, but their slot goes up because they were picked higher. That is the pool the Mets picked from after Rocker, so it likely didn't hurt them in any way. Teams often do that regardless of the first-round pick so that they can be prepared for the unexpected.

The only way this can hurt the Mets is if Rocker goes on to be a great pitcher and the player selected next season bombs. In that case, it would take years to know that for sure. Truth be told, I hope it does hurt the Mets. I don't want to see the guy not have a career.

CLTWolf
Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

"I really don't care that it's the Mets, you're getting defensive b/c someone else made a Mets joke. I think you're letting that get in the way here. Which is cool, I totally get it. We all do it with our favorite teams and I'm guilty of it when it comes to NC State, badly. haha"

It has nothing to do with that. I don't even know all the players on the current Mets team.
Rob McLamb
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Then don't believe me I suppose. I can't keep up with who the Mets have or don't have when I am coaching football and looking at recruits while also taking grad school classes in the summer.

I know they have Lindor (I used to cover him) and I know they just traded their 2020 first-round pick away.

In 2000 the Mets made the World Series. I saw Game 5 at Shea. I was into it back then. It was fun even though they lost.

In 2015 the Mets once again made the World Series. I didn't get too riled up then. If it happens this season I suspect I will be fairly calm once again.

As I have gotten older I just don't keep allegiances like I used to, except for the Knicks.
CLTWolf
Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Then don't believe me I suppose. I can't keep up with who the Mets have or don't have when I am coaching football and looking at recruits while also taking grad school classes in the summer.

I know they have Lindor (I used to cover him) and I know they just traded their 2020 first-round pick away.

In 2000 the Mets made the World Series. I saw Game 5 at Shea. I was into it back then. It was fun even though they lost.

In 2015 the Mets once again made the World Series. I didn't get too riled up then. If it happens this season I suspect I will be fairly calm once again.

As I have gotten older I just don't keep allegiances like I used to, except for the Knicks.

Lighten up Rob, we've entered the kidding portion of the day.
Rob McLamb
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

CLTWolf said:

Rob McLamb said:

Lighten up Rob, we've entered the kidding portion of the day.
I'm cool. 120 over 80
sf59
here for the rob and clt banter

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
—Jack Handey
Rob McLamb
Staff
sf59 said:

Ha, I just realized that almost all of my responses were to the same person. I was not really paying that any attention.
Rob McLamb
Staff
I just looked up on the internet and saw that Rocker would not give his medicals out. Is that true?

The Mets seem to have basically just not worried about signing the guy, unlike the Watson/Marlins situation where they talked right to the last minute. It looks like New York decided early on that they would rather have the 2022 first-round pick.
CLTWolf
sf59 said:

Oh it's over. I've made Rob angry, I don't want to make Rob angry. No one wants to see Rob angry...

JCooke93
Wow if true
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.