baseball @ unc-ch 3/26-28 extended to 3/29 (Pack9 sweeps)

10,455 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wilmwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dang, was really hoping to get the game in. Based on our reaction, doesn't look like we agree with stopping the game. I guess there was lightning, otherwise odd.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfer79
ciscopack
DrummerboyWolf said:

Game being delayed due to weather. Might be the end of the day for Highfill if they can even continue. Shuey mentioning the same thing and talking about how well he has pitched. Weather delay.
BS looking weather delay??
wilmwolf
Daviewolf83 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

UNC has always been pretty cavalier with pitching guys back to back days to my recollection. Seems irresponsible to me, but I guess they know their guys.
Fox got a bad rep with regards to pitchers. How he handled pitchers likely killed some arms by the end of a season.

Yeah, I remember us getting killed for throwing Carlos on 2-3 days rest one time, but they seem to do it a lot. Now, those guys today are relievers and didn't throw a lot, it's just odd. I actually think we are normally overly protective of guys, but you have to think about their future too.
Wolfer79
UPDATE - our game is currently in a delay due to lightning in the area. Will update on resumption when possible.

Daviewolf83
DrummerboyWolf said:

Game being delayed due to weather. Might be the end of the day for Highfill if they can even continue. Shuey mentioning the same thing and talking about how well he has pitched. Weather delay.
Looking at the radar, they may be done for today. Lots of heavy rain coming from the west and more on tap for tomorrow.

Pack31
Daviewolf83 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Looking at the radar, they may be done for today. Lots of heavy rain coming from the west and more on tap for tomorrow.

We just got it in GSO area. Moving 40 mph so it's a quick hitter. 20 mins of rain and sun peeking out again. We will see
DrummerboyWolf
Pack31 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

We just got it in GSO area. Moving 40 mph so it's a quick hitter. 20 mins of rain and sun peeking out again. We will see
I just was out with my dog and heard a few far off rumbles of thunder here in North Raleigh. The radar showed it already in Orange county when Davie posted it. Can't mess around with lightning. You can play in rain, but if somebody gets hurt by lightning you are just setting yourself up for lawsuits if you continue to play.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Daviewolf83
DrummerboyWolf said:

Pack31 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

I just was out with my dog and heard a few far off rumbles of thunder here in North Raleigh. The radar showed it already in Orange county when Davie posted it. Can't mess around with lightning. You can play in rain, but if somebody gets hurt by lightning you are just setting yourself up for lawsuits if you continue to play.
Correct and the one in Orange County right now is the little shower. The bigger line is still to come. I would estimate they will not be able to resume the game until 6-ish at the earliest, after the big line goes through. Have to wait 30 minutes from the last sound of thunder or lightning strike to resume play.

Unfortunately, Highfill is likely done for the day.
DrummerboyWolf
Orange County under a severe thunderstorm warning until 5 pm. Won't be any baseball for a while if at all tonight. Severe thunderstorm watches until 8 pm.
wilmwolf
Had the delay come after the bottom of the 7th, would there have been the possibility of calling the game? I wouldn't think you could call it now since they haven't batted in the 8th. I honestly don't know the rules, just wondering if that is what we weren't happy about. Obviously nobody on our side is going to want to play of there's lightning, but coach didn't look happy with the decision.
DrummerboyWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

Had the delay come after the bottom of the 7th, would there have been the possibility of calling the game? I wouldn't think you could call it now since they haven't batted in the 8th. I honestly don't know the rules, just wondering if that is what we weren't happy about. Obviously nobody on our side is going to want to play of there's lightning, but coach didn't look happy with the decision.
It depends. It can be called an official game now. If it works out where they cannot resume today or tomorrow, then I am pretty sure it reverts back to the last inning completed, so the Pack would win 4-1. After 5 complete(or 4 1/2 if the home team is leading) the game becomes official.
Wolfer79
wilmwolf
In hindsight, it's dumb to only move the game up an hour if you are worried about weather. If the weather is just a little faster and the game a little slower than you think, you're going to run into a problem. Start at 11 and be done before the storms get close. Just frustrating to get so close to finishing the game.
DrummerboyWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

In hindsight, it's dumb to only move the game up an hour if you are worried about weather. If the weather is just a little faster and the game a little slower than you think, you're going to run into a problem. Start at 11 and be done before the storms get close. Just frustrating to get so close to finishing the game.
Yes, but if we started earlier, than everything changes. Maybe Highfill is not as loose and gives up several runs early. When a moment happens, especially in a game or competition, then there is no guarantee the same moment would have happened had the game started earlier. In fact every moment of the game will be different.
Wolfer79

UPDATE - we will resume game two at 12 PM tomorrow, then play game three 30 minutes after its conclusion.

wilmwolf
Of course, there's no guarantee of anything. Just all things being equal, if you're going to move it up, move it up.
wolfpack1437
They ought to start tomorrow at 11. Looks like it will be mostly late day storms again
Wolfer79
NC State baseball's series at North Carolina has been suspended until Monday due to inclement weather in the area.

Play for game two was suspended on Saturday afternoon in the bottom of the eighth. The teams will resume game two Monday at 4 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C., and game three will follow 40 minutes after the conclusion of game two.

Both games will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra, and there will be a free audio stream on WKNC 88.1 and the TuneIn App.
wolfpack1437
^dang
wilmwolf
Ugh.
EthanBarry
Staff
20 innings Monday/Tuesday with four of your top five guys unavailable is a huge test, but if you're able to pitch well, regardless of result, makes you feel pretty good moving forward.

I don't think they'll do it, but I think you have to consider letting Willadsen finish the first game and start the second.
Wolfer79
EthanBarry said:

I don't think they'll do it, but I think you have to consider letting Willadsen finish the first game and start the second.

if not for 40 minutes between games, that was what I was thinking
wilmwolf
Not sure why you even need 40 minutes between when you're only playing an inning and a half the first game.
EthanBarry
Staff
Unrelated to UNC, but not sure how you make up the Duke games right now (of course could be more cancelations). They'd have to be on Wednesday's as fifth game of the week which neither team will want. No off days line up and Duke doesn't have a late season off week. What's interesting is UVA has the same weekend off as State, but would they be allowed to play more than 36 ACC games?
DrummerboyWolf
EthanBarry said:

20 innings Monday/Tuesday with four of your top five guys unavailable is a huge test, but if you're able to pitch well, regardless of result, makes you feel pretty good moving forward.

That definitely could be a possibility. Although I don't follow MLB hardly at all anymore, they used to do that with a suspended game before a regular game and use the starter to finish the suspended game then start the second.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that Reid Johnston is supposed to throw on Monday. Usually about a 60 pitch outing is the norm. Maybe he could be used for 1 1/2 innings. Guess we will find out tomorrow. Might could have finished today. It's windy, but I don't think the weather is supposed to be here until 6 or 7 pm
Trickynic1
Duke is in the bottom of the 8th.
Why didn't we play earlier today?

Does anyone know if Camron acotter and Austin Pace will return this year?
wilmwolf
According to my radar, it is just now starting to rain in CH. Seems odd that they couldn't have played at all today. I would like to think it is just about an abundance of caution, but I'd be lying if I didn't think it could be gamesmanship.
JCooke93
Not going to happen
Trickynic1
Down 4 bull pen pitchers- which young pitchers up next?
castlewood107
JCooke,

any idea what is going on with these guys -- injured, back soon or gone for the year?

Baker Nelson -- no work since Feb. 26
Logan Bender -- 0 IP this year
Tristan Sipple -- used 3 times early, not since March 2
Wolfer79
JCooke93
Nelson hurt and the other 2 not sure
castlewood107
I expect to see Justice out there to finish up the Holes Game 2 hopefully....they have some good LH hitters coming up last 2 innings including the guy who homered off Sam.

i think then we can piece together 9 IP out of:

Matt W, Silver, King, Feeney, Villaman

Extra day probably allows UNC to bring back Rapp out of the pen for middle innings. He was pretty good Saturday against us, imagine we see a lot of him today since their starter is not great. we have the starting pitching advantage again, let's get it done.
wolfpack1437
castlewood107 said:

I expect to see Justice out there to finish up the Holes Game 2 hopefully....they have some good LH hitters coming up last 2 innings including the guy who homered off Sam.

i think then we can piece together 9 IP out of:

Matt W, Silver, King, Feeney, Villaman

Extra day probably allows UNC to bring back Rapp out of the pen for middle innings. He was pretty good Saturday against us, imagine we see a lot of him today since their starter is not great. we have the starting pitching advantage again, let's get it done.
5 run lead not exactly outside Justice's ability to lose based on his starts. Personally I hope they run Silver out there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.