Super Regionals

14,315 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Colonel Armstrong
metcalfmafia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Struttingwolf96 said:

Man that nice home field, you would think that would help the tar holes win. Glad they won't make it to Omaha, helps Avent out.
Sweet Jesus man you don't even get the argument so stop saying the same thing in every thread now.
Wolfer79
CLTWolf
metcalfmafia said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

Man that nice home field, you would think that would help the tar holes win. Glad they won't make it to Omaha, helps Avent out.
Sweet Jesus man you don't even get the argument so stop saying the same thing in every thread now.

It's like that little vacation he had taught him nothing....
Struttingwolf96
Good Lord man, what did I say? Some are just too sensitive these days & times. Wouldn't trying to say anything, I was just stating that some think having a nice home field & facilities would make a BIG difference & bring a championship. It just goes to show it doesn't matter when it really comes down to it, maybe with recruiting, but State has been doing pretty dag on good for years with that. Coaching, talent, & a little luck matter. Just from reading what Mr. Henderson & some other have said on here since my mini vacation & that terrible showing at the end of the season they would agree facilities are being blown way out of proportion for a reason to keep losing. But didnt see no one really say to much to them. Guess it's just me, right.
BigLefty24
Well, it was nice while it lasted..
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

wilmwolf
Vacations always end too soon.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Colonel Armstrong
ECU, Duke, and UNC all lose in what's basically the sweet 16.

All of them throughly outclassed and looked awful on national tv. You hate to see it!
wilmwolf
Just watched the top half of the 1st inning of the UNC game. What a glorious 49 minutes that was.
78wilsonpack
wilmwolf80 said:

Just watched the top half of the 1st inning of the UNC game. What a glorious 49 minutes that was.
Was it only 49 minutes? I had time for lunch, took a nap, walked the dog and it was still going on..... and I loved every minute of it.
Ripper
wilmwolf80 said:

I was laughing out loud with each hit and each run. I'm still bummed the Auburn kid got caught off 2B on the last hit for the last out of the inning. They could have scored more runs.
wilmwolf
If he hadn't been thrown out they might still be hitting.
Packchem91
Can't believe a team from Michigan is crashing the party. Credit to them...they shut down UCLA all 3 gams.
Given how most of the games had at least one team with double-digit runs every game, that series was impressive in its absence of runs.
CLTWolf
Packchem91 said:

Can't believe a team from Michigan is crashing the party. Credit to them...they shut down UCLA all 3 gams.
Given how most of the games had at least one team with double-digit runs every game, that series was impressive in its absence of runs.

Michigan has a really good coach in Erik Bakich. He went to ECU and worked for Tim Corbin at Vandy as well as Jack Leggett at Clemson. Big Deb hired him at Maryland before she came here.

Michigan has some stud arms. If you have two good starters then anything can happen in a best 2 out of 3 series.
Packchem91
CLTWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

Michigan has a really good coach in Erik Bakich. He went to ECU and worked for Tim Corbin at Vandy as well as Jack Leggett at Clemson. Big Deb hired him at Maryland before she came here.

Michigan has some stud arms. If you have two good starters then anything can happen in a best 2 out of 3 series.
Yes, and they had all 3 guys do well in this series --- I just assumed G3 would be high scoring.
That was why Vandy was still clearly a fave vs Duke.....they had depth of arms, and Duke couldn't possibly have matched that (all other things equal)
wilmwolf
So much of the post season is about being hot at the right time. Nobody on Auburn hitting above .300, they are in the bottom of their conference in most every statistic, but they all get hot at the right time, and there they go to Omaha. And that really comes down to luck I think, it's not something a coach can control, you just have to do your best to ride the wave and see how far it can take you.
CLTWolf
Packchem91 said:

CLTWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

Yes, and they had all 3 guys do well in this series --- I just assumed G3 would be high scoring.
That was why Vandy was still clearly a fave vs Duke.....they had depth of arms, and Duke couldn't possibly have matched that (all other things equal)

Vandy has bullpen issues themselves. They played in a lot of high scoring games this year due to their issues in the pen. But yeah, duke had no shot once they didn't take game two.
basementwolf
wilmwolf80 said:

So much of the post season is about being hot at the right time. Nobody on Auburn hitting above .300, they are in the bottom of their conference in most every statistic, but they all get hot at the right time, and there they go to Omaha. And that really comes down to luck I think, it's not something a coach can control, you just have to do your best to ride the wave and see how far it can take you.
I disagree. They are not machines, they are kids, and therefore subject to emotions. A good coach can definitely affect how they play; they need leadership. Like V in basketball, some guys are good at it.
wilmwolf
All the motivation in the world can't swing the bat. You can pump them up, hype them up, give them confidence, but a guy that batted sub .200 for a whole year, and then hits .600 in the post season doesn't have squat to do with pep talks. You can tweak the lineup to try and maximize his hot streak, you can try and keep him in a good mental place not thinking about the wrong things, but at the end of the day, you are at the mercy of the streak, because the law of averages says he'll eventually come back to Earth. Even V was at the mercy of luck. One free throw bounces different, and he's just a charismatic young coach without a national title.
fhstatefan43
wilmwolf80 said:

You are 100% right when you say it is all about being hot at the right time. But 100% wrong when you say that the coach cannot control whether or not his team is hot (aka playing well). In baseball slumps do come and the coach cannot control that but those generally come for individual players, not the whole team. The coach's job is to manage his team. Get them in a system of practices, drills, workouts, and rest so that the team maintains a high level through an incredibly long and grueling season. The coach is also supposed to know his team and know their mentality. When things are going off course it is the job of the coach and his staff to work with the team, whether individual players or the team as a whole to get them back on course.

It is crazy that there are some on here that act like as though the way a baseball team plays has nothing to do with the coach. It is as though we don't need a coach at all.
wilmwolf
Cool story bro. I know you desperately want this discussion to be about Avent, like 40 of your 50 posts here are, but I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about Auburn. Even the Auburn coach doesn't take credit for what they are doing right now. He didn't all of a sudden become a master motivator and tactician 60 games into the year, just like Duke's Pollard didn't all of a sudden become a terrible coach when his team got trucked this weekend.
Colonel Armstrong
Notice how some coaches and programs consistently get their guys to be hot at key times. It's luck sometimes, but not all the time. A lot of it is pulling the right strings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.