2019 Commit Flips To Campbell

15,676 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCooke93
James Henderson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
2019 Infielder Houston Koon has confirmed he flipped from NC State to Campbell.

"It was a decision that was best for me that I had to make."
wilmwolf
Well, bye.
rwwalsh
Already have Torres and Neese (unless one of them goes pro).
CLTWolf
rwwalsh said:

Along with INFs Giles and Highfill as well.

Neese has a really strong arm, I wonder if he pitches or is good enough to be a two way guy.

I wonder if Koon was gently nudged to look around.
James Henderson
Staff
Maybe the Campbell facilities did the trick.
Ripper
Houston, we hardly knew ya.
Ripper
CLTWolf said:

rwwalsh said:

Neese has a really strong arm, I wonder if he pitches or is good enough to be a two way guy.

Possible waiver wire?
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

They are nicer than ours, that's for sure. Of course they had a little help being that it was a Single A teams park for a couple years. Let someone else help pay for the upgrades.
CLTWolf
Ripper said:

CLTWolf said:

rwwalsh said:

Possible waiver wire?

? Just throwing it out there. Campbell has two other kids that were at one time committed to State (Cole Hart and Tyson Messer).

When kids are committing as FR and SO's in HS, sometimes they don't progress over those years. Gotta be hard to project these kids sometimes, I don't know.
WolfQuacker
Didn't we just lose 2 of 3 to Campbell and they had a first round draft pick as well? I mean, let's not get too cocky with assumptions of why this kid didn't land at State.
WarrenPeace
Well, they are better than us. Can't really blame him.
CLTWolf
WolfQuacker said:

Didn't we just lose 2 of 3 to Campbell and they had a first round draft pick as well? I mean, let's not get too cocky with assumptions of why this kid didn't land at State.

I mean if that's how you want to look at it, can't really argue with the 2 out 3 point. It's not always that cut and dry but, sure, I can see your point.

How'd that first rounder do against State this year?
Pakbackr
James Henderson said:

Glad to see you are finally coming around to my way of thinking!
gopack1979
Campbell has turf. That's a freakin disgrace.
packman34
Definitely going to play for a better coach that's for sure. Can't blame him.
CLTWolf
packman34 said:

Definitely going to play for a better coach that's for sure. Can't blame him.

Lol.

wilmwolf
So predictable.
CLTWolf

Yep.
So angry.
BigLefty24
CLTWolf said:

Yep.
So angry.

153-127 (54% win percentage) at Campbell. He's a regular Sparky Anderson.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

ScoobyWolf
Won't Coach need to release him since he signed?
Bell Tower Grey
gopack1979 said:

Campbell has turf. That's a freakin disgrace.
Not really. It's camel proof.
metcalfmafia
Digging the baseball recruiting coverage...good or bad.
3rdGenPacker
I don't know any details but people I know felt like Koon was a bit of a reach as an ACC player. Better hitter than fielder but hasn't changed much in the last 2 years. I'd be surprised if this was his decision alone.

That said, he could certainly develop in the next couple of years and be a very good D1 player. But I've been given the impression he's not a left side of the IF guy at that level and he's not particularly fast to play in the OF and he's not particularly big so not a prototypical 1B. I'd guess, again just on what I've been told, that he ends up at 2B.
CLTWolf
3rdGenPacker said:

I don't know any details but people I know felt like Koon was a bit of a reach as an ACC player. Better hitter than fielder but hasn't changed much in the last 2 years. I'd be surprised if this was his decision alone.

That said, he could certainly develop in the next couple of years and be a very good D1 player. But I've been given the impression he's not a left side of the IF guy at that level and he's not particularly fast to play in the OF and he's not particularly big so not a prototypical 1B. I'd guess, again just on what I've been told, that he ends up at 2B.

Basically, if you put him and JT Jarrett together you get Stephen Pitarra. Ha

Like I've said before, it's gotta be tough to project these kids when they're committing as FR and SO's in HS.

Would be nice if Noah Soles could come in and take over CF allowing us to move Tyler McDonough to 2B. Got to start getting some production out of 2B and 3B.
metcalfmafia
CLTWolf said:

3rdGenPacker said:

Like I've said before, it's gotta be tough to project these kids when they're committing as FR and SO's in HS.

Would be nice if Noah Soles could come in and take over CF allowing us to move Tyler McDonough to 2B. Got to start getting some production out of 2B and 3B.
yep. The 8 and 9 holes KILLED us towards the end.
James Henderson
Staff
metcalfmafia said:

CLTWolf said:

3rdGenPacker said:

Agree with this.

Also, less Terrell Tatum IMO.
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

metcalfmafia said:

CLTWolf said:

3rdGenPacker said:

Agree with this.

Also, less Terrell Tatum IMO.

Tatum's approach at the plate bugs the sht out of me. I thought maybe he'd seen the light when he closed up his stance but maybe not. I've said it before but when he swings (and specifically misses) it's as almost as he's not swinging that hard for whatever reason. He looks pretty up there though, he's got that pretty LH swing. He needs to be more Evan Edwards, who rarely gets cheated on a swing.

wilmwolf
I'd prefer to see Tatum go the route of Freshman year Debo, hit for contact, line drives. Even with the more closed stance, there's too much uppercut in his swing. With his speed, he needs to be putting the ball in play, not trying to hit homers. I also think he guessed too much on pitches, which is why you see the weak ineffective swings. As you know, the best hitters can eliminate pitches based on scouting, count, and situation. If you're sitting dead red for a fastball and you get a change, it's hard not to look silly. Tatum also has a good eye, and because of that, he takes a lot of pitches that maybe are outside the zone, but are too close to take IMO. He's shown flashes of being able to be a very good player, just hasn't put it all together yet.
metcalfmafia
Our right fielders also might have suffered from being rotated so much. Never able to get into a groove.
BigLefty24
wilmwolf80 said:

I'd prefer to see Tatum go the route of Freshman year Debo, hit for contact, line drives. Even with the more closed stance, there's too much uppercut in his swing. With his speed, he needs to be putting the ball in play, not trying to hit homers. I also think he guessed too much on pitches, which is why you see the weak ineffective swings. As you know, the best hitters can eliminate pitches based on scouting, count, and situation. If you're sitting dead red for a fastball and you get a change, it's hard not to look silly. Tatum also has a good eye, and because of that, he takes a lot of pitches that maybe are outside the zone, but are too close to take IMO. He's shown flashes of being able to be a very good player, just hasn't put it all together yet.

Agree. He doesn't have a flat swing, and he pulls off of a lot of balls with his upper body. With his speed, he should be staying on pitches deep and working the middle of the field to backside.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

Wlfpk81
whats going to be funny is when we hire Haire to replace avent.
CLTWolf
Wlfpk81 said:

He'd be on the list but way down the list.
Wlfpk81
CLTWolf said:

Wlfpk81 said:

is it too soon to do a mock big board?
CLTWolf
Wlfpk81 said:

CLTWolf said:

Wlfpk81 said:

Well, yeah...
You want some names tho!?? Lol

Erik Bakich Michigan. Yow hired him at UMd. Has Michigan in the Supers this year. Went to ECU.
Alex Sogard Wright State (former State player). Would need a couple years to prove himself more. He'll be good.
Scott Forbes asst at unc (will be taking over for Fox)
Kevin McMullan asst HC UVa
Kirk Saarloos asst TCU (probably a west coast guy)
Justin Haire (on down the list)
Jim Foster Army (Boo hired him)
Shawn Stiffler VCU
Link Jarrett uncg
Chris Hart

We're not buying a coach from the SEC or another ACC guy like Pollard from Duke. Bakich makes more than Avent now at Michigan but at some point I feel like he'll want to be at a place that will support him...oh, wait.
metcalfmafia
CLTWolf said:

Wlfpk81 said:

CLTWolf said:

Wlfpk81 said:

Well, yeah...
You want some names tho!?? Lol

Erik Bakich Michigan. Yow hired him at UMd. Has Michigan in the Supers this year. Went to ECU.
Alex Sogard Wright State (former State player). Would need a couple years to prove himself more. He'll be good.
Scott Forbes asst at unc (will be taking over for Fox)
Kevin McMullan asst HC UVa
Kirk Saarloos asst TCU (probably a west coast guy)
Justin Haire (on down the list)
Jim Foster Army (Boo hired him)
Shawn Stiffler VCU
Link Jarrett uncg
Chris Hart

We're not buying a coach from the SEC or another ACC guy like Pollard from Duke. Bakich makes more than Avent now at Michigan but at some point I feel like he'll want to be at a place that will support him...oh, wait.
Took over an established program at Wright State, so I don't know how much stock to put into his first year there.

Seems like a heck of an up and comer though with connection to the program.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.