Pack 9 Recruiting and Portal News

262,897 Views | 1562 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by JCooke93
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is huge pickup. Hat tip to Justin for recognizing him from Nashville U lol.

Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

ClePack
Seems we are going with a "projection" instead of "production" approach for next season with these additions from the portal. Last year I felt we added high production players from smaller conferences and it translated well. Seems our staff thinks they can unlock these guys who maybe didn't get as much PT at their old schools.
Englishwolf44
I assume the idea is Jaros and Ossenfort compete for the open first/third spots? Anyone on the current roster who could fill those roles?
Alex Gee
Staff
ClePack said:

Seems we are going with a "projection" instead of "production" approach for next season with these additions from the portal. Last year I felt we added high production players from smaller conferences and it translated well. Seems our staff thinks they can unlock these guys who maybe didn't get as much PT at their old schools.

Jaros had broken into the lineup at GT before a shoulder injury knocked him out for the last 17 or so games.

I know Jaros and Ossenfort don't have the age that GP and Mak brought to the table, but State took a .258 hitter with 11 home runs and a .307 hitter with 15 home runs out of the AAC and they ended up being the best pair of corners in the league. And neither had the recruiting pedigree, size, etc. that these guys bring. I trust it to work out.
CLTWolf
gabeezzell04 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

Jtilley said:

matracey said:

Alex Gee said:

Our baseball NIL is in a pretty good spot as far as I know.

We aren't swinging and missing in the portal. More of a holding pattern to see where things stand after July 16th.
Right I believe every spot left by someone out of eligibility has been filled at this point. Soles' outfield spot. Pennington and Makarewicz's corner infield spots. A couple pitchers. Probably now just waiting to see what happens with the draft for Serrano, Fritton and Butterworth's spots
I was out of it with Covid last week but who took Penningtons spot?

no one yet. still have a few holes to fill

About that...

Someone talk me into this addition
massive power potential. He's already 6'3 220 so he's got that "SEC size" that you hear everyone yammer on about.
Hit .392 with 10 home runs, 35 RBI and seven doubles as a senior
2023 Broward County Hitter of the Year
2023 All-State selection

Those are some damn good numbers playing for the best HS team in the highest classification in the state of Florida.

Lefty first baseman makes me happy too. haha
pack2010
Englishwolf44 said:

I assume the idea is Jaros and Ossenfort compete for the open first/third spots? Anyone on the current roster who could fill those roles?

you can pencil these guys in as starters, IMO. no one really on our current coster is a corner infielder (Heavner maybe could play 3rd?). Novy and Fitz-Gerald are coming in that can play on the corners (Fitz-Gerald is more of a middle IF though but 3rd could have been an option)
Alex Gee
Staff
Not to mention he played behind RJ Austin who is probably Vandy's best player. Would've been stuck there again.
JCooke93
Thank you
CLTWolf
Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

Jaros had broken into the lineup at GT before a shoulder injury knocked him out for the last 17 or so games.

I know Jaros and Ossenfort don't have the age that GP and Mak brought to the table, but State took a .258 hitter with 11 home runs and a .307 hitter with 15 home runs out of the AAC and they ended up being the best pair of corners in the league. And neither had the recruiting pedigree, size, etc. that these guys bring. I trust it to work out.
never mind that Butters turned into a damn good SS as well and he pretty much played nothing but second at Western.

JCooke93
100%
JCooke93
Yup
Jtilley
Glad I could bring this to fruition.

Adding guys with two years makes a lot of sense with the young core we have. Could be a really strong team when they are all juniors (Not taking away from this coming year).

ClePack
Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

Definitely. I'm kinda meh to the whole "pedigree" thing once a kid hits college. I guess I have a "What have you done for me lately?" approach. More specifically in basketball than baseball, because we can kinda see right away if a kid deserved that "5 star" label or not. Do love the size of these kids.

I trust it to work out, too. I trust Hart to unlock the ceiling he sees within these guys. I just think it's interesting our approach this time around vs last.
CLTWolf
Who knows if the Ossenfort commitment makes any difference but BoRob (and Clint as well) just started following a JUCO 1B from Yavapai College in Arizona. Kid put up some pretty nasty numbers using a wooden bat.

Riley Nelson - 1B Yavapai College

https://x.com/rileynelson033

Originally from Roanoke, TX just outside of Dallas. Super talent rich area for baseball.

JCooke93
Other Good option if we don't get Lewis from NGU
Jtilley
ClePack said:

Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

Definitely. I'm kinda meh to the whole "pedigree" thing once a kid hits college. I guess I have a "What have you done for me lately?" approach. More specifically in basketball than baseball, because we can kinda see right away if a kid deserved that "5 star" label or not. Do love the size of these kids.

I trust it to work out, too. I trust Hart to unlock the ceiling he sees within these guys. I just think it's interesting our approach this time around vs last.
We have said this on here many a times but just trust Chris Hart. The dude can find a high end college hitter at a little league field. If he wants a kid that's all we need to know.
Packsd14me
CLTWolf said:

Who knows if the Ossenfort commitment makes any difference but BoRob (and Clint as well) just started following a JUCO 1B from Yavapai College in Arizona. Kid put up some pretty nasty numbers using a wooden bat.

Originally from Roanoke, TX just outside of Dallas. Super talent rich area for baseball.

Don't forget the DH spot. We can easily sign 2 1B's as Sosa moves to Cozart's spot.
gabeezzell04
So right now we're probably looking at

C- Sosa
1B- Ossenfort
2B- Nixon
SS- ?
3B- Jaros
LF- Hogue
CF- Thompson
RF- ?
ClePack
Jtilley said:

ClePack said:

Alex Gee said:

ClePack said:

We have said this on here many a times but just trust Chris Hart. The dude can find a high end college hitter at a little league field. If he wants a kid that's all we need to know.

Sort of like Keatts with a guard
JCooke93
RF Houge
CF Ty
LF Thompson
My dream
wilmwolf
I personally think we try Nixon at SS and keep Heavner at 2B, but that's just a hunch and not based on any inside info.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Don't forget the DH spot. We can easily sign 2 1B's as Sosa moves to Cozart's spot.
Haven't forgotten but we also have a JUCO OF coming in that could possibly move Hogue to DH as he comes back from the leg injury.

Ryan Jaros - 3B
Matt Ossenfort - 1B
Brayden Fraasman - "OF"
Dalen Thompson - "OF"

Ty Head - "OF" (if he makes it in)

The assumption is that we'll be needing a SS as well once the draft is over.

1B- Ozzie
2B- Luke Nixon
SS- Butters/prolly someone else/Fitz-Gerald?
3B - Jaros
DH - Hogue?
C - Sosa
LF - Thompson
CF - Head
RF - Fraasman?

If Head gets drafted and signs, then you move Thompson to CF and can plug Hogue back into LF (assuming he's healthy).

Bring Riley Nelson on and figure it out, putting up those numbers with a wooden bat in that Arizona JUCO league is some serious batting of the ball. haha
Jtilley
wilmwolf said:

I personally think we try Nixon at SS and keep Heavner at 2B, but that's just a hunch and not based on any inside info.
I'd entertain options at SS still if there is a possible impact bat. Let Nixon and Heavner battle at 2nd or play matchups.

There is also the possibility of Fitz-Gerald playing SS or 2nd.
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Haven't forgotten but we also have a JUCO OF coming in that could possibly move Hogue to DH as he comes back from the leg injury.

Ryan Jaros - 3B
Matt Ossenfort - 1B
Brayden Fraasman - "OF"
Dalen Thompson - "OF"

1B- Ozzie
2B- Luke Nixon
3B - Jaros
DH - Hogue?
C - Sosa
LF - Thompson
CF - Head
RF - Fraasman?

If Head gets drafted and signs, then you move Thompson to CF and can plug Hogue back into LF (assuming he's healthy).

Bring Riley Nelson on and figure it out, putting up those numbers with a wooden bat in that Arizona JUCO league is some serious batting of the ball. haha
How many guys can you keep in fall ball?

You never know with Juco guys how they will translate but Fraasman looks like a natural hitter.

CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

CLTWolf said:

Ryan Jaros - 3B
Matt Ossenfort - 1B
Brayden Fraasman - "OF"
Dalen Thompson - "OF"

1B- Ozzie
2B- Luke Nixon
3B - Jaros
DH - Hogue?
C - Sosa
LF - Thompson
CF - Head
RF - Fraasman?

How many guys can you keep in fall ball?

You never know with Juco guys how they will translate but Fraasman looks like a natural hitter.

40 total. 32 guys on some type of aid. (IIRC)
Jtilley
I thought it was 40, didn't realize the 32 on aid part.
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

32 dudes splitting up 11.7 'ships. haha
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

Jtilley said:

32 dudes splitting up 11.7 'ships. haha
I've said it numerous times but I meet a ton of dads who have no idea how many scholarships baseball gets.

Keep dropping that money on the travel ball for Jimmy to pay 20K to play at Montreat though.
James Henderson
Staff
Pretty sure Ossenfort is draft eligible next year.
JCooke93
JCooke93
Yup
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

Pretty sure Ossenfort is draft eligible next year.
He is. He's 20 right now.
pack2010
Win Scott enters the portal
JCooke93
Yup
JCooke93
Mason Molitor is a interesting portal target

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.