Where is NC State's athletic future

1,471 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ClePack
Pack87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am sure most of you have seen the various clickbait articles, podcasts, YouTube videos on the collapse of the ACC and where everyone ends up. Several have us destined for the Big 12 and some even say the political play to tie us to UNC could backfire and leave us like Oregon State and Washington State with nowhere to go. Several of these out of the area broadcasters see Pitt, Louisville, Miami, VT and GT as more lucrative to the Big 12 than us. Of course they think UNC, Clemson, FSU and possibly UVa and Duke are destined for the top tier (SEC, Big 10). Now that sports are over for the year where does everyone think the dominoes fall?
GuerrillaPack
If this is supposedly being primarily driven by football, then why in the hell are the supposed "experts" saying that the B1G or SEC would prefer Virginia over Virginia Tech?? That makes zero sense if you are trying to get the best football programs with the largest audience -- because, of course, Virginia is garbage in football and VT is much better than them and arguably one of the top 4 or 5 schools in the ACC for football, with a passionate fanbase and ~65,000 packed stadium every Saturday...while UVa has a lame football fanbase and probably only averaging about 30,000 actually showing up for games.

I mention that just to compare it to the UNC vs. NC State debate...as it is a similar situation to Uva vs VT. The Wolfpack has a better football program than unc and a much better football culture and fanbase with much bigger and better crowds on gameday.

Maybe the B1G and SEC would favor Uva as opposed to VT because they think they can get about the same number of eyeballs on TV, but an "easy win" in football for most current members of those conferences. While VT would might actually get better TV ratings, but would be a tougher opponent. Similar argument for why the SEC and B1G prefer unc over NC State in football? Get about the same TV ratings for football, but unc is an easier opponent for current B1G and SEC members.

The SEC and B1G need some football "cupcakes" with somewhat large fanbases. If they load up their conference with all killers, a lot of the "big time" programs (eg, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc) are going to have 6-6 and 7-5 records on average, year after year.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
GuerrillaPack
I think the worst case scenario is we end up in the Big12. But why haven't the Big12 sought to add Washington State and Oregon State?

If we were to end up in the Big12 with around a $20 million per year deficit to the SEC and B1G in TV revenue, I'm sure there's got to be a way to make up that $20 million gap fairly easily. For instance, similar to the annual "Day of Giving" (that raised 40 something million on the one a few months ago), I propose we establish an annual day of giving for athletics only and try to raise an additional ~$20 million (in addition to existing giving to the WPC and NIL efforts). If NC State were in that situation, I would gladly ditch or downgrade my TV subscriptions and boycott the TV networks and "pass along" that financial savings as an annual ~$300-400 gift for such a $20 million war chest. If, say, you had around 50,000 fans willing to donate for such a cause at $400/yr average per person, that's $20 million.

If this is all about the TV revenue, then we as a fan base need to stop sending the TV networks around $1,000 per year (per household), so the TV networks can decide to make the SEC and B1G the only schools that matter. Instead of funding the TV networks so NC State gets a few crumbs of that money, send that money directly to NC State.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
ClePack
There is really no way to know, unfortunately.
Pack87
GuerrillaPack said:

If this is supposedly being primarily driven by football, then why in the hell are the supposed "experts" saying that the B1G or SEC would prefer Virginia over Virginia Tech?? That makes zero sense if you are trying to get the best football programs with the largest audience -- because, of course, Virginia is garbage in football and VT is much better than them and arguably one of the top 4 or 5 schools in the ACC for football, with a passionate fanbase and ~65,000 packed stadium every Saturday...while UVa has a lame football fanbase and probably only averaging about 30,000 actually showing up for games.

I mention that just to compare it to the UNC vs. NC State debate...as it is a similar situation to Uva vs VT. The Wolfpack has a better football program than unc and a much better football culture and fanbase with much bigger and better crowds on gameday.

Maybe the B1G and SEC would favor Uva as opposed to VT because they think they can get about the same number of eyeballs on TV, but an "easy win" in football for most current members of those conferences. While VT would might actually get better TV ratings, but would be a tougher opponent. Similar argument for why the SEC and B1G prefer unc over NC State in football? Get about the same TV ratings for football, but unc is an easier opponent for current B1G and SEC members.

The SEC and B1G need some football "cupcakes" with somewhat large fanbases. If they load up their conference with all killers, a lot of the "big time" programs (eg, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc) are going to have 6-6 and 7-5 records on average, year after year.

While it is about football, it is more about the brand than the team success. We can beat Carolina every year and the tv powers still want that light blue that you see all over the country. They have that Dallas Cowboy popularity. I think because of the academic brand UVa is more appealing to the Big 10 than VT.
GuerrillaPack
Pack87 said:

While it is about football, it is more about the brand than the team success. We can beat Carolina every year and the tv powers still want that light blue that you see all over the country. They have that Dallas Cowboy popularity. I think because of the academic brand UVa is more appealing to the Big 10 than VT.

NC State ratings for football have reportedly been higher in recent years than for unc football. I understand that unc's "brand" is bigger in all sports combined, largely due to men's basketball history/success, and that men's basketball also is a significant factor in attractiveness to conference realignment. However, purely from a football standpoint, NC State is actually more attractive and probably makes more money (higher ratings) than unc. If we are going on "brands" that have largely been built upon men's basketball but suck in football, then Kentucky and Kansas are also "national brands" much like UNC is. But that doesn't make Kansas a big attractive option in conference expansion. I don't think unc, in reality, should be much more attractive than Kansas. But for whatever reason, it seems that UNC is much more attractive. But I don't think that is deserved.
Pack87
GuerrillaPack said:

Pack87 said:

NC State ratings for football have reportedly been higher in recent years than for unc football. I understand that unc's "brand" is bigger in all sports combined, largely due to men's basketball history/success, and that men's basketball also is a significant factor in attractiveness to conference realignment. However, purely from a football standpoint, NC State is actually more attractive and probably makes more money (higher ratings) than unc. If we are going on "brands" that have largely been built upon men's basketball but suck in football, then Kentucky and Kansas are also "national brands" much like UNC is. But that doesn't make Kansas a big attractive option in conference expansion. I don't think unc, in reality, should be much more attractive than Kansas. But for whatever reason, it seems that UNC is much more attractive. But I don't think that is deserved.

A lot of the commentary seems to suggest UNC is actually the biggest fish in expansion. Due to adding the N.C. market and the nationwide branding. While I agree we are a more successful program (football) currently. People outside of the Carolinas probably don't know or care.
GuerrillaPack
Pack87 said:

A lot of the commentary seems to suggest UNC is actually the biggest fish in expansion. Due to adding the N.C. market and the nationwide branding. While I agree we are a more successful program (football) currently. People outside of the Carolinas probably don't know or care.
I disagree. People nationally do know about NC State -- and even more with making men's and women's final fours in basketball this year, and the CWS two of the last four years. We can't sell ourselves short here, and capitulate to just playing second fiddle to unc. We have to sell ourselves, and give ourselves credit where it's due. Unc's "brand" is based on men's basketball -- just like Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke. But all of these basketball schools, including unc, are not big television draws in football. UNC is not going to be drawing in huge ratings for football.
ncstatefan
I'd expect announcements surrounding the future of the ACC in the next 45-90 days. FSU and Clemson are for sure out and most likely UNC. Lots of different ways to look at our possible future but I'd put the house on us not being in the ACC by 2027. If the SEC and B10 go to 20 teams each we have a chance to join one of those conferences but if they go to 24 I'd guarantee we make one of those leagues. B12 is an interesting spot because they are doing the most forward-thinking moves such as Private Equity investment, an All-State naming deal, and an upcoming new tv deal rumored to be double what they have now. Anyone of the other conferences will be better than the ACC but ranked from our eyes we would probably all prefer SEC then B10 then B12. My money is on the SEC given our football success lately and our ADs' connection to the SEC iykyk.
Richdawg_098
From a football standpoint, NC State is actually more attractive and probably makes more money.
AmyGoulet
Thanks for the info. My friend recommended https://ukwritings.com/dissertation-services when I was struggling with my dissertation. The service was outstanding. The writer followed all my instructions and delivered a high-quality dissertation that earned me a top grade. I will definitely use this service again for future assignments.
ClePack
ncstatefan said:

I'd expect announcements surrounding the future of the ACC in the next 45-90 days. FSU and Clemson are for sure out and most likely UNC. Lots of different ways to look at our possible future but I'd put the house on us not being in the ACC by 2027. If the SEC and B10 go to 20 teams each we have a chance to join one of those conferences but if they go to 24 I'd guarantee we make one of those leagues. B12 is an interesting spot because they are doing the most forward-thinking moves such as Private Equity investment, an All-State naming deal, and an upcoming new tv deal rumored to be double what they have now. Anyone of the other conferences will be better than the ACC but ranked from our eyes we would probably all prefer SEC then B10 then B12. My money is on the SEC given our football success lately and our ADs' connection to the SEC iykyk.
Private equity will destroy the B12. They won't be around much longer if they decide to go that route
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.