Story Poster
Photo by Steve Murphy/Inside Pack Sports
NC State Baseball

NC State Star Tommy White Will Transfer

June 2, 2022

NC State star infielder Tommy White will transfer out of the program.

White confirmed the news to Inside Pack Sports.

White set the national record for home runs this season with 27 home runs. The first-team All-ACC selection also hit .362 and totaled 74 RBIs.

White rotated between first base, third base, and designated hitter this season, finishing out the year at DH after suffering a shoulder injury.

Discussion from...

NC State Star Tommy White Will Transfer

13,118 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by goosedaddy
Wufhart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NCSt8MANdrews
He wants that cheddah!
Wufhart
***???!!! NIL not enough?? Tampering??
Threeam
Can't wait to see who offered a massive NIL deal
Griffin134
I hate the way NIL works. Pro sports have more rules than this.
NCSt8MANdrews
If he goes JC he can go pro one year earlier, right?
getwicked
Lawd
Skylitdrive
Wolfpack in the house!
pman27
Guess I can save my money and not drop $35 bucks on the Barstool Tommy Tanks T-shirt.

Sucks that NIL opened this can of worms, but the JUCO question posed above perhaps is a different, non-NIL take. We'll see.
wolf howl
Ah, the life of a Pack fan.
Topwater
Thirty years of nut punches
packman34
We can't have nice things. I bet ncaa screwing us over had something to do with it too.
Kgar2121
**** him and adios. NCAA needs to fix this **** they've created
birdiePack
I'm sure there was no tampering going on at all.
If you never allow for a little fun and relaxation you will become mentally unstable without knowing it.
cowboypack02
Dude...the first regional games haven't even been played yet.

wow...
Wilson
Well ****t
FlockaWolf
pman27 said:

Guess I can save my money and not drop $35 bucks on the Barstool Tommy Tanks T-shirt.

Sucks that NIL opened this can of worms, but the JUCO question posed above perhaps is a different, non-NIL take. We'll see.

I've already ripped mine to shreds.
ChetManley
Editing since it's since come out Giglio reported without verification.

Still, screw the current transfer/NIL system.
poexcuse
My concern about Pack of Wolves is the design of organization. It seems to be democratic in that they want to spread money around for lots athletes in a variety of sports. That is good and I'm personally invested in IPS's NIL effort. But when it comes to athletes (Tommy Tanks) with national marketing potential I have questions about it's effectiveness. Those are the exception but they are a critical exception for our program. Tommy can go to a variety of national sponsors with his brand unlike anyone at NCSU (maybe T Smith & Devin Leary). I know this is offensive but when you depend lots of small sponsors, it's bake sale mentality. Tommy hits home runs both on the field and off. His move makes sense. He got offered national sponsorship dollars somewhere.
baxterC
poexcuse said:

My concern about Pack of Wolves is the design of organization. It seems to be democratic in that they want to spread money around for lots athletes in a variety of sports. That is good and I'm personally invested in IPS's NIL effort. But when it comes to athletes (Tommy Tanks) with national marketing potential I have questions about it's effectiveness. Those are the exception but they are a critical exception for our program. Tommy can go to a variety of national sponsors with his brand unlike anyone at NCSU (maybe T Smith & Devin Leary). I know this is offensive but when you depend lots of small sponsors, it's bake sale mentality. Tommy hits home runs both on the field and off. His move makes sense. He got offered national sponsorship dollars somewhere.

To add some details, His agent didn't want to work with the collective. Tommy gets national deals because of his "brand". He isn't leveraging NIL through collectives.

POW offered him a competitive NIL package previously. I'd be highly skeptical if any collective out there influenced the decision since he'd be getting a pay day here just as he would elsewhere.
"That's a big deal," Doeren said. "Now we have five days of five different potatoes and the guys are fired up about it."
WPNPrez
We couldn't put a NIL package together for the best hitter in college baseball!?!?!?!?

Packfanme1
FlockaWolf said:

pman27 said:

I've already ripped mine to shreds.

Mine is on the way! Dang!
Jesus, Family, Wolfpack!
Raiders_2015
The product of college sports keeps getting weaker and weaker. If you want to have professional athletes in college that's fine but there is a reason the pros have contracts and other similar rules. This is just nuts.
Packfanme1
Man, I hate this! But Tommy wants to play on the field every game. Where do you put him?
Jesus, Family, Wolfpack!
843wolfpacker
Anyone who could not see the chaos and destruction of amateur athletics that NIL was bound to create was willfully blind. This thing is maybe a year old and it is proving to be as corrupting of college sports as I predicted.

Most people were open to college athletes getting more than tuition, room and board. Players thought they were bringing money to the sport and should be participating. I felt colleges were providing the platform to showcase their skills they would otherwise lack the ability to do on their own.

My gut says college sports has opened Pandora's Box from which it may not survive.

843's Dad - (Lowcountry)
wolfpacklean202
Man, this baseball team has taken gut punch after gut punch after gut punch
WL202
CardiacPack
Obviously a big loss, but I do believe this team can be better without White depending upon who we add in the portal. If there is NIL money to be spent on baseball it should be spent on pitching and ironing out the issues we had in the field (Tommy being one of them).

Honestly, the fact that he and his "people" handled this so poorly and acted like ***holes takes the sting off him leaving. If you are going to behave that way good riddance. We'll be fine.
Wolfn
If you want to build your "national brand" you need to play on a team with post season buzz. Not a team that doesn't even make the post season. This season's post season snub is devastating to the program in my opinion.
wnosaj83
somebody cue up the curly bill gif!
rangerA
Poor man's version of Jordan Addison
Pack87
The biggest thing is that you had a once in a generation star that would bump the profile of the program. It doesn't necessarily get you a lot more wins, but National Player of the Week and Sportscenter run gives the program and university some pub. Also just the excitement when he came to bat. This is why it stinks. We had an awesome lineup last year without someone hitting 27 homers so the team will be ok.
LetEmKnowPack
I guess its cool players are getting paid. But a lot of us will end up caring less and less. If anyone here has a breakout year in any sport, instead of getting excited about the future we will just wonder how long we have em…
ChicagoSmack
Tommy the Skank !
DrummerboyWolf
Another nail in the coffin of me caring anything about college sports. The NIL and transfer portal have destroyed the model and then the NCAA screw jobs we have gotten the last 12 months have just been too much.

I said the other day that I think this coming football season may be my last. I have been a Devin Leary fan since he committed and knew he would be great and I am planning on staying for his last season, but if things continue to process as they have, that may not happen and I could be done before then.

I don't know the circumstances with Tommy White but it really is a shame it's come to this. If he wanted to play more in the field, then he should have caught the ball and thrown it better. He had chances to show what he could do.
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
Wolfpack8602
The worst part about it is he's linked to a team we will play the next two years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.