Story Poster
NC State Football

Drinkwitz, Pack Ready For Opener

September 1, 2017

NC State’s offense is tied to one particular philosophy. Do whatever it takes to move the ball and score points.

The Wolfpack opens its campaign Saturday in Charlotte against a South Carolina team that brings back several defensive players from last season’s 6-7 squad.

While the Gamecocks are strong defensively, it is what they choose to allow that NC State offensive coordinator Eli Drinkwitz most wants to exploit.

“It is a cat-and-mouse game,” Drinkwitz said about combating with South Carolina’s defense. “Everybody has tendencies. Everybody has got things that they do and what they rely on but at the end of the day you have got to figure out what their plan is and adjust to it.

“You know they are very well-coached so that presents a big challenge for us. Any time you are playing a SEC opponent you know it will always start with defense so we have got our hands full. Coach Muschamp and [defensive coordinator] Travaris Robinson are some of the best defensive minds in college football.”

There has been conjecture as to which players, if any, will feature at running back for NC State in Charlotte and as the season progresses.

Again, Drinkwitz has only one preference; It is giving the ball to the player that does the most with it at that particular time.

“They have all got different strengths,” Drinkwitz said of NC State’s running back corps. “They have all got good vision so it is just a matter of rotating them in and whoever has got the hot hand, he will keep it.”

There are many exciting young players that redshirt-junior quarterback Ryan Finley can find in space.

The trick is getting the ball to the correct people. Drinkwitz feels the Wolfpack has enough weapons on the field for Finley not to concern himself with which players are or are not getting looks.

If players are not getting the ball, Drinkwitz wants it to be his concern, not Finley’s.

“The biggest thing about Ryan is you can’t worry about all of that,” Drinkwitz said. “You have got to take what the defense gives you. You can’t worry about I have got to get him touches or get this guy touches, that is my job.

“He has got to go out there and dissect the defense by putting the ball wherever it is supposed to go. So if there is so many guys on the field that can do something with the ball in their hands, he can’t ever get caught up in getting this guy involved. No, you have got to do what the defense say to do. If the defense is over there, the ball can’t go over there. It has got to go somewhere else.”

“It is a challenge getting them into space,” Drinkwitz added. “We are trying to move the football down the field. Whether it is in space or behind the offensive line, whatever it takes to get the ball from our end to across the end zone. If it is getting the ball out in space, great. If it is throwing it vertically, great. If it is running behind the A-gap, great. Whatever we need to do to win.”

For Drinkwitz, the time for talking in the preseason is nearing the end.

The regular season is coming. It is about to enter the stage where everything is real and talk is cheap.

“Game weeks are special,” Drinkwitz said. “You work a long time to get 12 of them so any time you are getting ready for the first one it is all really exciting.

“We have worked it a ton. Now it is about showing it. The biggest thing is it is all gas, no breaks at this point. There is no more excuses. Either we are getting it done or we don’t. We will find out on Saturday.”
Discussion from...

Drinkwitz, Pack Ready For Opener

3,391 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Thunderhill
howlie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"There's no more excuses. Either we are getting it done or we don't. We will find out on Saturday."

Well, now...
4pack
I always worry when I read coaches saying they have a lot of respect for their opponents. I worry because the coaches that say that may not do what we do best in an effort to outthink the other guy. I feel much better when our coach says "this is what we do and it's your job to stop us". But we'll see
ForbinAscends
4pack said:

I feel much better when our coach says "this is what we do and it's your job to stop us".
Nope. This feels like chopping wood in day-tight compartments.
Thunderhill
Uhh..apparently they were not ready-especially on special teams. Could not run the football. Throw 64 times?????
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.