Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,223,583 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
IseWolf22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WolfpackSI said:

IseWolf22 said:

WolfpackSI said:

IseWolf22 said:

WolfPacker54 said:

They don't know, they are just talking out of their azz. I have no inside knowledge but I would assume Keatts picked up Lockett in reaction to knowing Bey was going to decommit, not to push Bey out the door. Keatts would not do something as shady as pulling a kid's scholarship.
I agree. I don't think you take Lockett for 1 year over Bey for 4. It would make no sense. Keatts probably knew this last week and accepted Lockett, with SKJ being completely independent of the situation.
You do if you think you can recruit a better player in 2019
I guess, but the original tweet strongly implies that it was a late addition this year, (Lockett or SKJ) that was the reason for "pulling" his scholarship

"This is something you normally see late in football recruiting. Today Saddiq Bey fell victim to being recruited over late in the process"
I might be a little biased but I really don't think that the staff pulled his scholarship this late. That would give you a bad reputation among high school coaches and hurt recruiting in the future. KK has been on the other side of that for a long time so I really doubt he would do that. I think it was more that Bey looked at the roster and saw the logjam at the wing for the next 2-3 years. The staff probably didn't put that much effort in re-affirming his committment because they know they can get better talent in 2019 and beyond and it helps space out scholarships better.

I don't have any insider information or anything but thats just what makes sense to me.
I agree we didn't pull the scholarship. I am taking issue with the original tweet from Prepforce
nryanh94
I know crystal ball tends to be a joke, but Nickelberry just picked up 4 predictions today to Louisville

Let me add the only reason I think it means anything is that 2 of the predictions are from Evan Daniels and Brian Snow
WolfpackSI
nryanh94 said:

I know crystal ball tends to be a joke, but Nickelberry just picked up 4 predictions today to Louisville

Let me add the only reason I think it means anything is that 2 of the predictions are from Evan Daniels and Brian Snow
Dammit, wish we locked him up a long time ago. He would be a big loss to our 2019 class.

I really hate to see NC talent leave the state.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
nryanh94
nryanh94 said:

Now at 7 predictions to louisville
welppack
nryanh94 said:

nryanh94 said:

Maybe something did happen with his recruitment, but a lot of the time these supposed "insiders" just follow what one or two other people predict.
nryanh94
welppack said:

nryanh94 said:

nryanh94 said:

Maybe something did happen with his recruitment, but a lot of the time these supposed "insiders" just follow what one or two other people predict.
That's accurate, but Evan and Brian are nationally known guys and are usually pretty good about predictions. 2 of the others are the Louisville guys, and then Jerry Meyer who is usually fairly good but he does piggy back off other predictions alot
HungryWolf92
Nickelberry did just visit Louisville correct? Also seeing reports U*NC is no longer recruiting him.
nryanh94
HungryWolf92 said:

Nickelberry did just visit Louisville correct? Also seeing reports U*NC is no longer recruiting him.
Visited May 12th, UNC has said they quit recruiting him after he left Oak Hill.
PicklePacker
A lot of buzz with Louisville and Nickleberry. Hate to lose him. Hope it's not another case where other coaches are using the NCAA thingy against us.
nryanh94
PicklePacker said:

A lot of buzz with Louisville and Nickleberry. Hate to lose him. Hope it's not another case where other coaches are using the NCAA thingy against us.

Don't think that would be the case if he's picking Louisville lol
PicklePacker
nryanh94 said:

PicklePacker said:

Don't think that would be the case if he's picking Louisville lol
Didn't think about that. They're in worse shape than us.
wolfpackfan00

Juwan Gary

https://247sports.com/Player/Juwan-Gary-94241
nryanh94
Another pick for Nickelberry, 8 today
Struttingwolf96
I think we will be okay if Nickleberry does end up going to Louisville. Sure, it may be a little bit of a blow early on & I would hate to lose him when it seemed we were in the driver's seat here recently, plus he's from NC. But, I trust Keatts has not put all his eggs in one basket. He & the staff are showing to be excellent recruiters & with only 2 scholarships to give right now for next year though I think there are plenty of other options he is looking at as well. There's still plenty of other wings, right off the top of my head is Moore, Lecque, Bishop, Okoro, Gantt, & Williams. There may be some others I missed, but Keatts is showing he knows how to put a team together.
PicklePacker
I'd hate to lose him. But like Struttingwolf said, we'll be ok. If we have another really good season, possibly a top 25 team for most of the year, I think more doors start to open.
Dunlow66
Struttingwolf96 said:

I think we will be okay if Nickleberry does end up going to Louisville. Sure, it may be a little bit of a blow early on & I would hate to lose him when it seemed we were in the driver's seat here recently, plus he's from NC. But, I trust Keatts has not put all his eggs in one basket. He & the staff are showing to be excellent recruiters & with only 2 scholarships to give right now for next year though I think there are plenty of other options he is looking at as well. There's still plenty of other wings, right off the top of my head is Moore, Lecque, Bishop, Okoro, Gantt, & Williams. There may be some others I missed, but Keatts is showing he knows how to put a team together.
I think NIckleberry would be making a mistake to go to Louisville. I feel like our system is a better fit for him than what I saw from Xavier in the past. Both guys can coach, but Keatts and being close to home or Louisville? I know which one I would pick(but I am just a bit biased)
WolfpackSI
Dunlow66 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

I think NIckleberry would be making a mistake to go to Louisville. I feel like our system is a better fit for him than what I saw from Xavier in the past. Both guys can coach, but Keatts and being close to home or Louisville? I know which one I would pick(but I am just a bit biased)
Former teammates Steere and Bates are also on our squad
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
nryanh94
I still would like to see us make a push for Okoro or Christian Brown, I think both of those guys are hard nosed physical type kids that you can build a hell of a defense around
Struttingwolf96
I agree with you Dunlow66, I think Nickleberry would make a mistake by not coming to State & going to Louisville, but I think Keatts wants guys who actually want to be here & I love that, don't beg a kid to come to Raleigh.
NatePait94
Yeah it seems that he sells the school very well
PicklePacker
If I had my pick I'd take Christian Brown over every prospect on our boards for 19. Love his motor.
PicklePacker
WolfpackSI said:

Dunlow66 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

Some kids just want to go out of state and be different. Nickleberry may be one of those.
CLTWolf
Look at their roster. Darius Perry is about the only guard they have. No commits for 18 or 19 so far (other than a grad transfer that will be gone, at least that I could find), he would be the man from day 1 almost assuredly. I get it. Wish he'd come here but the roster is much more stable in raleigh assuming Bryce is back for his RSr year plus Beverly.
Dunlow66
PicklePacker said:

If I had my pick I'd take Christian Brown over every prospect on our boards for 19. Love his motor.
I dont think we are in his top 3 right now
Dunlow66
PicklePacker said:

WolfpackSI said:

Dunlow66 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

Some kids just want to go out of state and be different. Nickleberry may be one of those.
Markell Johnson needed to get away

but Nickelberry didnt do very well when he left home for Oak Hill. He is one of those kids that I think would be better suited close to his support system.
Dunlow66
If we do miss on Nickleberry, I would love to see a strong push for Greg Gannt
williewolf
PG seems like it would be position of priority for 19 with batts transferring and no guarantee that markell doesn't leave after junior year...........as far as the 2nd scholarship ???? maybe williams
Struttingwolf96
I believe we will be fine at PG with Beverly & Harris coming back if Johnson does decide to leave early. Maybe the 2020 class we will need another true PG. I think the staff is trying to get 2 wings for the 2019 class. Coach Keatts is trying his hardest to get Wendell Moore a ***** F/G from NC(we made his top 5) to take 1 of the 2 scholarships they have. I think the coaches want Nickleberry at SG as well, but with him looking like he might commit to Louisville there are other options. Jalen Lecque another *****CG in NC would be a great pickup, but everyone is after him. The other five I think the staff would be happy with getting a commit from would be Patrick Williams a ****PF/SF from NC, Isaac Okoro a****SF/SG from GA, Greg Gantt a PF/SF from NC, who has been working out a lot with Bates & Steere during the summer, James Bishop a**** CG from MD, or Christian Brown a***** SF from SC. The staff is recruiting very hard & they have offered other big time players as well, but I think these are the main ones they are trying to get.
williewolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

I believe we will be fine at PG with Beverly & Harris coming back if Johnson does decide to leave early. Maybe the 2020 class we will need another true PG. I think the staff is trying to get 2 wings for the 2019 class. Coach Keatts is trying his hardest to get Wendell Moore a ***** F/G from NC(we made his top 5) to take 1 of the 2 scholarships they have. I think the coaches want Nickleberry at SG as well, but with him looking like he might commit to Louisville there are other options. Jalen Lecque another *****CG in NC would be a great pickup, but everyone is after him. The other five I think the staff would be happy with getting a commit from would be Patrick Williams a ****PF/SF from NC, Isaac Okoro a****SF/SG from GA, Greg Gantt a PF/SF from NC, who has been working out a lot with Bates & Steere during the summer, James Bishop a**** CG from MD, or Christian Brown a***** SF from SC. The staff is recruiting very hard & they have offered other big time players as well, but I think these are the main ones they are trying to get.
thx for the detailed response........i don't know about only bev and harris at pg; i thought i read somewhere that KK likes 3-4 pg on roster..........maybe bryce could play some point in a pinch 2 yrs out if needed?

as far as moore; i think it will be interesting to see just how high he is ranked nationally compared to other wings that duke may offer.............if he is the top 2guard on their offer list then it may be tough; if duke lands a couple top 5 -10 players nationallythen maybe moore is in play

also; do you think withers from n. meck is a priority ?
Dunlow66
I dont think we get Withers.....
WolfpackSI
Whats the deal with Jalen Lecque? Are we in it or is he blue blood bound?
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Struttingwolf96
Like Dunlow66 said, I don't think get him & don't really think the staff is going hard after him now. It looked pretty good early on, but things seemed to drop off. Don't know what happened there.
Struttingwolf96
Yeah, Dunlow66 what is the deal with Lecque now. I know Keatts was recruiting him pretty relentlessly early on, about at every game & things looked good, even thought he may reclassify to 2018. I think he's decided to stay in the 2019 class now, but is he still looking at the Pack?
Struttingwolf96
In regards to the PG situation, if Johnson was to leave & Beverly & Harris were the only PG's left on the team, I do think Keatts will probably try to bring in a CG, like Lecque or Bishop. I don't think the staff is recruiting at the moment any true PG's in the 2019 class. He may go the graduate transfer route again instead. Now in the 2020 class I know Keatts is recruiting a few PG's like Cameron Thomas from VA, Sharife Cooper of GA, Jalen Cone of NC, & Jaden Springer of NC, though he may be bit more of a SG instead. There may be some others, but that's the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I think we will get our future PG in the 2020 class.
WolfpackSI
If Jalen comes then I imagine he gets the same deal that Simon was offered - You get to play the point and run the show. Unless, of course, Markell is still around for his senior year.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.