Basketball recruiting and transfers

4,223,231 Views | 13799 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SM1987
nryanh94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is manny bates playing again?
Dunlow66
nryanh94 said:

Yes
Dunlow66
More

Northwoood Temple Academy takes the win over Fayetteville Christian School in round one of the SAC tournament.

Scoring leaders:

6'4 Josh Nickelberry '19 - 24 PTS
6'9 Ian Steere '18 - 19 PTS
6'11 Manny Bates '18 - 13 PTS
nryanh94
Thanks, that tweet is the reason i was asking. I did t know if it was accurate or not because of the pictures that they used (Manny's picture is from the Phenom hoop showcase) Glad he's healed nicely and getting to play some of his senior year
Dunlow66
Recent scouting take on a couple of NCSU recruits

Jamie Shaw @JamieShaw5
FollowingFollowing @JamieShaw5
More

Takeaways

Northwood Temple
**NC State signee Ian Steere has really developed as a paint & rim protector

**Josh Nickelberry is a high level to elite scorer. Effortless & smooth both on & off the ball
dogplasma
Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Yes
Is Manny Bates 6'-11" now?
Bell Tower Grey
Did Nickleberry commit during his visit? Or has he already silent verbaled?
nryanh94

Cool video of Steere and Bates training with Joey Baker, Greg Gantt, and KJ Marshall.
WolfpackSI
Where do we stand with McGowen? Is he a secondary option incase we don't land Nickleberry & Lecque?
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
WolfpackSI
Bell Tower Grey said:

Did Nickleberry commit during his visit? Or has he already silent verbaled?
Seems like there was a silent commit
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
RIPHarrelsonHall
Here's a link to a video that highlights some of Bates' best plays from his comeback game

wolverinepack20
Dunlow66 said:

wolverinepack20 said:

Dunlow66 said:

nryanh94 said:

Anyone know why Nickelberry left Oak Hill?
It wasnt good........but he is in a better spot...for him, IMO back in Fayetteville
So Dun, for us not in the know, can you give us what you think about Nickelberry's game, how he fits into NC State/CKK's system and why the unc-ch train has cooled off from last year?

Thanks in advance!
Shooter and a high volume scorer as a pure SG, ...but he does need to become a bit more consistent. That could likely be helped with better shot selection. Can get to the rim and finish strong. Good at drawing contact from defenders. Solid enough defender who fits with what Coach Keatts is looking for, wings who play the passing lanes and create turnovers. Also a pretty decent rebounder for his size. Not really a dominant 'on ball defender'.

Not sure about UNC's relationship here, but when Josh left Oak Hill, I think that helped us quite a bit.
Thanks Dun! Sounds like he has a lot of potential and could excel under KK
(if I got a quarter for every time I said that... but in KK's case, I truly believe he can extract the full potential from any player)..
EthanBarry
Staff
So why would Nickelberry (or any kid) want to be a silent verbal instead of just announcing it? Is he taking other visits?
WolfpackSI
wkdbigpckfan said:

So why would Nickelberry (or any kid) want to be a silent verbal instead of just announcing it? Is he taking other visits?
I'm not really sure but from the outside it seems like it still allows the kid to enjoy the recruiting process and still go on official visits.

From the coaching staff perspective, they can shift their focus to other recruits.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
WolfpackSI
Heres a little screenshot of our 2019 squad as it stands now. Obviously a lot will change. For instance, Markell likely won't stick around until his senior year if he plays at the level hes playing now. KK also probably isn't immune to transfers. Anyway, here is what we are looking at:

Not eligible to return(1): Torin Dorn

Eligible to return:

Ball Handling Guards(4): Markell Johnson(Sr), Lavar Batts(Jr), Braxton Beverly(Jr), Blake Harris(Jr)

Wing Guards(2): CJ Bryce(rSr), Devon Daniels(rJr)

Wing Bigs(2): Jericole Hellems(So), Siddiq Bey(So)

Traditional Bigs(4): Darius Hicks(Sr), Derek Funderburke(Jr), Manny Bates(So), Ian Steere(So)

Open Scholarships: 1
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
TheWhiteWolf
Watching some of the Bates and Steere highlights can any confirm if both are capable 3pt shooters Ive seen both take those shots would be amazing if all 5 next year can stretch out that far
nryanh94
TheWhiteWolf said:

Watching some of the Bates and Steere highlights can any confirm if both are capable 3pt shooters Ive seen both take those shots would be amazing if all 5 next year can stretch out that far

Ehh, they're both working on it. But I feel about as comfortable with them taking a 3 as I am with Abu. But Steere's shot has improved a ton so who knows by next year?
Dunlow66
Trey McGowens will be at VA Tech for the game tonight.
Bulldogwolf27
Like Dun has said before, I think he will be in red and white for the 19-20 season.
Engineer97
Jaywolf27 said:

Like Dun has said before, I think he will be in red and white for the 19-20 season.
McGowens? Just checking.
Engineer97
Engineer97 said:

Jaywolf27 said:

McGowens? Just checking.
State of Trey McGowens

WolfpackSI
Is Simon doing his OV this weekend or just unofficially coming for the game?
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
nryanh94
Simons is on his OV
Bulldogwolf27
Yes McGowen
WolfpackSI
nryanh94 said:

Simons is on his OV

Thats what I thought but wasnt sure since no one is really talking about it.

Go get that big fish, KK!!
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Packfan8
Any update on how Simmons visit is going, i know we lost today but the crowd was rocking
williewolf
if Simons decides to committ or Yurtseven decides to return etc.....how does the scholarship slot happen?

is it as simple as a player with the family resources to pay tuition for a semester or two being asked?
mddocisa
Are we still recruiting Carson Mccorklr? Seems like he was offered prior to his freshman year. Since then there has been a coaching change. Is NC State obligated to honor the offer?
nryanh94
mddocisa said:

Are we still recruiting Carson Mccorklr? Seems like he was offered prior to his freshman year. Since then there has been a coaching change. Is NC State obligated to honor the offer?

McCorkle reclassified to 2021. New staff haven't offered yet, but I think they are still evaluating him.
Colonel Armstrong
williewolf said:

if Simons decides to committ or Yurtseven decides to return etc.....how does the scholarship slot happen?

is it as simple as a player with the family resources to pay tuition for a semester or two being asked?
My guess is we'd see Batts or Hicks transfer.
Formerly King Leary
98pack
nryanh94 said:

mddocisa said:

McCorkle reclassified to 2021. New staff haven't offered yet, but I think they are still evaluating him.

He's moved on. Not much interest either way.
wufpack7
I saw an interview with McCorkle very recently where he was talking about visiting NC State soon. I have no clue how much interest either side has, but I'm pretty sure it's not none.
nryanh94
wufpack7 said:

I saw an interview with McCorkle very recently where he was talking about visiting NC State soon. I have no clue how much interest either side has, but I'm pretty sure it's not none.

Either way, I feel like it's pointless to say that a kid who has 3.5 years to decide where they are going has moved on from a school.
98pack
Unless there's a coaching change, I doubt he ends up here. I'll just leave it at that.
nryanh94
98pack said:

Unless there's a coaching change, I doubt he ends up here. I'll just leave it at that.

If he doesn't, he doesn't. Honestly I'm one of the few that don't view him as an ACC caliber prospect unless he gets bigger. He could be a good role player, but I get the feeling he wants more.
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 395

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.