Laid Off

630 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ncsupack1
wuffpack90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guys i thought i would come here to post to get some different opinions , well last week i was laid off after a 10 year tenure with my company (Network Engineer) - company is doing some outsourcing to put money in the pockets of the higher ups -- anyways I'm kinda on the fence about what i want to do, i'm 33 years old so i'm actually thinking of doing a career change and buying a dump truck to work for myself (I know very risky but something i don't want to regret not doing later in life). I know two completely different things but with the way technology is rapidly changing, outsourcing, and the use of AI technolgoies i just feel that this won't be the last time a layoff happens for me and when i'm in my 50's it's going to get harder to get an IT job and frankly probably too late for a career change. Any thoughts guys?

Also i have applied to some IT jobs in the meantime and actually have a 3rd interview with Bandwidth -- any inside information from there that i should know other than the in office requirement?
ncsupack1
Wish I could help here. Sorry to hear this, I'm sure things will work out for you.
TraCha4
I have a friend that bought a dump truck two years ago. He works crazy hours but has a ton of work going on. He subcontracts from a rotation of three companies and work is there as much as he is willing.

Praying for you. Best wishes on what you decide.
AlleyPack
Do you have a CDL? Pretty sure that is required to drive a dump truck.

But anyway, yeah... I'd run the numbers, and then give the truck-driving a try if you really feel the urge to "do something different".
There's also a decent chance that you could pick up some "work from home" online --- some temp side gigs in your former area of expertise, if you so choose. So that could be a safety net of sorts, in the short term.

And not sure what sort of savings plan your former employer might have offered (that you could possibly rollover into something else), but you're definitely still young enough to open up a Roth IRA and start heavily investing in it --- a great savings vehicle that could really build up over your next 26 years of life.

Good luck.
wuffpack90
Yes CDL is required, training classes are offered that i could have them within a month. 401k at my current company and will also get a severance thankfully
DrummerboyWolf
wuffpack90 said:

Yes CDL is required, training classes are offered that i could have them within a month. 401k at my current company and will also get a severance thankfully
Going out on your own is always scary, but if you find the right niche then you will love what you are doing. I do a lot of driving all around the Triangle area and there are plenty of dump trucks out on the road. I have a Class A CDL but for the dump truck you might only need a class B if that is what you want to do. Now you have to factor in not only fuel, but maintenance, tires, insurance, and engine repairs and that could be very expensive. All tax deductible but still money you have to put out to get back to work.

Best of luck and hope it works out for.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
ncsupack1
Hey bud, how is everything going at the moment? Hope everything is going well?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.