Memorial Day 2024

713 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Oldsouljer
Oldsouljer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw this tribute to a young, fallen North Carolinian. Thought it worth a share….

https://thefederalist.com/2024/05/26/memorial-day-is-a-time-for-recollection-and-reflection/
TheStorm
Thanks for sharing, souljier... wife and I hit the neighborhood pool yesterday, grilled steaks last night and are heading across the waterway to the beach this morning.

Hope everybody has a good one today... and I mean everybody. It's a special day today... spend it with someone you love if you still have them.
ncsupack1
It's definitely a special day. Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day and remember those who gave it all.
Ncsufist
I hate Memorial Day. Too many painful memories from good friends and soldiers.

This one probably hurt the worst. Not because of the number that died. But the fact that he was ordered to join the mission. He was suffering from a bad migraine and had been told by medical he was basically bedridden and not allowed to go on missions. His humvee rolled into a canal.
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-pfc-lyndon-a-marcus-jr/257258
Oldsouljer
Ncsufist said:

I hate Memorial Day. Too many painful memories from good friends and soldiers.

This one probably hurt the worst. Not because of the number that died. But the fact that he was ordered to join the mission. He was suffering from a bad migraine and had been told by medical he was basically bedridden and not allowed to go on missions. His humvee rolled into a canal.
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-pfc-lyndon-a-marcus-jr/257258

Yeah. It's more painful as we age. Nearly 80 years ago this summer, the sole son of one branch of my family fell. His gravestone back in my hometown is fading. I need to go home, collect the info from his stone and order a new one made. He has no other family able or willing to do it.
DrummerboyWolf
I know Memorial Day is to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and were not able to come back home. For me, the son, brother, and son-in law of Marines who have passed on, it's always a good day to thank all the vets who served. So if you served, I humbly thank you for your service.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Ncsufist
That's horrible man. I'm getting to the point I want to be cremated just so I don't need to worry about that
Oldsouljer
Ncsufist said:

That's horrible man. I'm getting to the point I want to be cremated just so I don't need to worry about that
I think that's why this story of the fallen young North Carolinian touched me as it did, I can totally relate to those whose sacrifice is becoming forgotten.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.