Half a cow

878 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ncsupack1
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody have a recommended supplier? Grass fed.
hokiewolf
packgrad said:

Anybody have a recommended supplier? Grass fed.
Baldwin Beef in Caswell County
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
packgrad
Thanks. We've bought from them before. Pleased with their product but hoping to try someone else.
TheStorm
Did you find one?
packgrad
Not yet. Did a long fast last weekend so I tried to not think about food. Putting it back on the radar though. Got any leads?
TheStorm
packgrad said:

Not yet. Did a long fast last weekend so I tried to not think about food. Putting it back on the radar though. Got any leads?
Nah... I was just hoping to learn something.

After you get one though, be sure to tell the wife to "call the man"!
READ
We bought one from Lane Angus Farms in Gates Co. The Acre Station Meat Farm in Pinetown processes their meats. I can't tell you enough how pleased we were with the quality. Night and Day compared to what you find in most stores.
packgrad
Thank you.
TheStorm
Call the man!
Oldsouljer
READ said:

We bought one from Lane Angus Farms in Gates Co. The Acre Station Meat Farm in Pinetown processes their meats. I can't tell you enough how pleased we were with the quality. Night and Day compared to what you find in most stores.
I know some good people in Gates, I need to get over there more often.
barelypure
I got nothing for you as to where to buy but if you're given a choice buy the right side as it's going to be more tender and have more flavor.

3 lifetimes ago I knew a dairy farmer who when his cows stopped giving milk went to market. He asked if I wanted a half and all I had to pay was the butcher's fees since he'd already depreciated the cow to zero on his taxes. Of course I got the left side but hey it was nearly free.

The wife doesn't eat much beef so when I filled out my order form I asked for 1 steak per package. When I got the meat the steak packages were huge. I figured he must have saved time and wrapped several into the paper. Nope, when I opened one it was the size of the charcoal grill.

And for those who wonder, no dairy beef isn't as good to begin with plus the cows are old so that further reduces the meats appeal. But hey it was nearly free, plus I got mostly hamburger where it's not as noticeable.

If all you have is an upright freezer the meat is good for 12 months before it begins to degrade. A chest freezer the meat will last longer, esp. those packs on the bottom. Just an FYI
ncsupack1
Wood Angus, is a local farm in Johnston County that we use for a lot of our beef and pork. Not sure if it's all grass feed or not.
packgrad
Thanks guys. Neat information about right side versus left side.

I'll look into that one in Johnston Co. That's a much easier rountrip from Durham.
ncsupack1
Good luck
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.