Winter 2024 weather

296 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TheStorm
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wake County Schools announced Monday that classes will release three hours early on Tuesday. Chatham County Schools will dismiss at noon on Tuesday for all students and staff. All after school activities are canceled as well. Cumberland County Schools announced Monday that students will be let out two hours early on Tuesday because of the potential bad weather. Lee County Schools will shift to remote learning on Tuesday and all after-school activities for the day are postponed. Harnett County Schools will operate on an asynchronous remote learning schedule on Tuesday, the system said on X. Extracurricular activities for Tuesday are canceled. No announcement had been made late Monday afternoon by Durham, Orange or Johnston counties.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/weather-news/article283989983.html#storylink=cpy
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know there was a thread on here a few years back with some snake sightings in it, but I couldn't find it... just killed the second water moccasin in my yard yesterday since I bought the house 3 years ago.. Son ran across one hiding under some leaves in late October a couple of years ago the morning after a warm afternoon (I theorized that it was transient and got caught in a bad location after the sun went down)... then the wife calls me outside yesterday afternoon saying she thinks she sees something that might be a snake, and damn if there isn't a baby one nestled in the grass just off my driveway in the front yard in the area that our small dog frequents on his outdoor visits. Damn thing was only about 8 inches long, but as fat as a damn glue stick already. Neither of those two will be bothering anybody again any time soon.

Something that I learned about robins (birds) about a month ago. Early-mid February and I'm in my home office working and I start hearing this loud mob of birds all of a sudden... I'm thinking they must be those grackles that roam around in gangs down here cruising the parking lots, etc. and I look out the window and am surprised to see that they are instead actually robins. So I go down to my screened-in porch out back and just sit there watching and there are just literally thousands of robins spread across my back yard and those of all my neighbors (I'm one house away from some woods that fall quickly down to a creek and a swampy bottom-land area)... so after watching for about 20 minutes, I notice that the mob is slowly moving from tree to tree... not as a whole, just individually but nonetheless the mass is advancing so to speak... next day still around 50 or so hanging around those 3 backyards... next day back up to a couple of hundred, and then after that just a few here and there and now I don't really notice them anymore.

I'm on the coast and I guess the direction that the general movement was headed was "up" the coast, so I assume that I'm witnessing a migration pattern (which I've never actually seen before in all my years)... that second or third day after that huge first day, I decided to do some research on the internet and learned that robins don't really migrate, but rather that in the winter they congregate in these "mobs" while in search of food, then as the weather warms they split up and fight for individual territory.

Who says that an old dog can't learn something new every now and then... right or wrong, I just found it fascinating for some reason. Maybe I'm just bored, lol.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.