Sports Card Collectors Thread

2,949 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by wolf howl
wolf howl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Changing gears, has anyone used the Center Stage app for identifying cards? I heard about it last night in a YouTube video and gave it a try (it's free) and was impressed. Immediately showed me a card I was about to under value in my eBay listing as I'm not the strongest in knowing all the variations.

Anyone used it? Like it, hate it? Better options out there?
BP Cox
Staff
Will have to check it
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Mormad
I know a guy that, through his connections as CEO of a major brand that supplied all MLB gear and therefore access to locker rooms and dugouts, started collecting signed jerseys, balls, bases, shoes, hats, bats, etc. Expanded into NFL and NBA. Has original rookie baseball cards worth more than 100k EACH. Has the largest collection of signed jerseys in the world, and his signed baseball collection is not the largest in the world but the most impressive. He insured the room in his house where all this is displayed for $2 million. Crazy.

He and his son were in the locker room wth LeBron and he asked LeBron for an autograph. They had no paper so LeBron removed a shoe and signed it. There's just cool stuff like that in the room. Cleats from Joe Montana and Tom Brady, a football signed by Jim brown.

And all are original, signed in person memories. None of this stuff was bought. Again, crazy. I was shocked.
WolfpackKaraoke
Mormad said:

I know a guy that, through his connections as CEO of a major brand that supplied all MLB gear and therefore access to locker rooms and dugouts, started collecting signed jerseys, balls, bases, shoes, hats, bats, etc. Expanded into NFL and NBA. Has original rookie baseball cards worth more than 100k EACH. Has the largest collection of signed jerseys in the world, and his signed baseball collection is not the largest in the world but the most impressive. He insured the room in his house where all this is displayed for $2 million. Crazy.

He and his son were in the locker room wth LeBron and he asked LeBron for an autograph. They had no paper so LeBron removed a shoe and signed it. There's just cool stuff like that in the room. Cleats from Joe Montana and Tom Brady, a football signed by Jim brown.

And all are original, signed in person memories. None of this stuff was bought. Again, crazy. I was shocked.

That's one heckuva gut to know!
Mormad
His prize possession is the mickey mantle 1951 bowman rookie card, the lesser known card than the 1952 Topps card. A mint condition Topps card sold for $12.6 M, which makes little sense to me as I swear he says the bowman card valued at 200-400k?
wolf howl
BP Cox said:

wolf howl said:

Good feedback BP. I know PSA was the most respected for a long time it seems but others have gained some traction which is probably good for the hobby as well to have some competition in the space.

What do you do to inspect the cards before sending them in? Any special lights or equipment you use or just the ole eye balls and experience?
Yeah this was one of the deeper dives I took on submissions. I recommend looking into Kurts Card Care and reading up on cleaning tips, the tools he uses, etc. I purchased about everything he recommended and have used these on a few submissions. He has links to all of the items he recommends so you can purchase directly on Amazon.

You can do some damage to the cards when trying to clean them so do like he says and use base cards to practice on before you clean anything valuable. I tried to clean a card up fresh in from a redemption, a /5 Justin Fields Prizim Draft Picks card. Should have just sent it in but thought I could make it "perfect". Tried to the use the cleaning kit and actually put a few light scratches on it. Dropped it to an 8 from PSA. I almost threw up when I saw the grade.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, look for breakers who offer submission services. Be sure to look through their posts (usually on Facebook) and see how many submissions they do and how many come back at 9 or 10. You can then reach out to them to discuss further.

But back to the equipment I've purchased, I have:

- Humidor
- Black light
- Cheap digital microscope with LCD screen (Amazon, maybe $60)
- Kurts Card Care Kit
- Microfiber towels

So Kurt's Card Care is all in the hobby news right now as a card shop pulled a 1/1 Black Wemby and PSA graded it a 10 (despite it appearing to be off center to many) and the card shop guy shouted out Kurts Card Care at the PSA offices. LOL

Here's a quick YouTube on it, skip to the middle for the story on the Wemby.

Will be curious to see if PSA takes back the 10 rating knowing the card received more treatment than just wiping it down or not. Obviously a huge money decision if they do given the significance of that card.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.